“It's all true” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 7.5 a Barra de Navidad, Puerto Vallarta 48390, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #9 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Ocean, New Jersey
“It's all true”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Wife and I stayed 12/26-1/2 and what a time we had. First thing to remember is that you are in Mexico and with that comes a very low key vibe. Upon your arrival you will be offered a drink and then a pitch for a " tour " just politely decline and then begin your wonderful vacation . The design and construction are 5 star. Food : We had breakfast and drinks in Blanca Blue which was good,same with pool and beach food. Up top at Boca dos STK was the real find. Go up for the happy hour and start you evening.Fantastic. Ate dinner their also and it was good. At night they would have afire pit on beach which no one would use and we would have all to ourselves. Service is good .When things go wrong don't be the ugly American and start yelling( I saw and heard this a number of times).

I would strongly urge you to use the local bus service to Puerta Vahalla and also south to Boca ( boat to Yalapa), Mismaloya- horse back riding

Only suggestion is for the hotel to improve its wifi

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Administration, pierre bonin at Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear traveler,

IT WAS OUR PLEASURE TO SERVE YOU!
Thank you very much for your valuable time and giving us your important opinion. For us it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your vacation extraordinarily well, because that is exactly the goal of Garza Blanca, for you to enjoy our wonderful facilities, food, beach and comfortable rooms, all with best quality and comfort for you and our future guests.

I would like to share how proud and honored we are of receiving the 2013 CONDE NAST JOHANSENS AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE. This announcement fills us with pride.” It is a challenge that impulses us ─with the support of all of our collaborators─ to continue offering a highly personalized service and excellence to our guests, continue innovating and exceeding expectations.

We will gladly verify our wireless signal. Thanks for the feedback.
Awaiting for you to visit us again and enjoy other memorable vacation, myself and our wonderful staff will welcome you with open arms.

Happy New year!
pierre bonin

726 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We've been visiting PV for years and have always wanted to stay at Garza Blanca instead of renting a private home or condo. First, the setting is perfect, probably the cleanest most beautiful beach in the area. They clean the beach each morning like it was Pebble Beach golf club. The pool setting, landscaping is nothing less than one would find at at Four Season's or Ritz. Pool butlers are helpful and enough chaises are made available for everyone. (Have you ever walked through a resort pool to find it almost empty but every chair taken with someone's stuff on it all day for that one or two hours they may use the chairs?) Pool menu / food is nothing than the best and the best value at this place. We started ordering our breakfast by the pool as the setting is breathtaking. (Same full breakfast as in the dinning room)

The bellmen to the reception staff are professional and really are trying to work out any problems they've had in the past. After reading some earlier posts before arriving, I was on guard. No one offered any promo tours or pushed any marketing. Our room, one bedroom suite was tastefully designed with upmarket materials, clean, extra large plush towels and the same amenities as any five star international brand. With one or two minor service tweaks, they would fit a Four Season's brand. Pillow menus and free morning coffee in room would go a long way towards this end. The kitchen had all appliances one would need for cooking but only offered coffee for the first day. We like to cook in a few nights and were a little disappointed that they didn't have a large pasta pot and a few mixing bows so we could make pasta Carbonara. But, the staff were helpful getting us what we wanted. In retrospect, room service was great and so we'd order what we wanted and then made our own margaritas, and had ice cream or other snacks we bought at the grocery store. Best of both worlds. One night we just made guacamole, nachos, watched a movie and desert later.

We did encounter a few problems during New Years when the hotel was full. There were some breakdowns with room service and dining room service as some of their back staff are not as well trained and couldn't keep up with the demand. Hotel management failed here as they should have expected this.

Our biggest disappointment had to do with spotty internet service in the rooms. They now offer free internet WiFi in the rooms but they only have one provider available south of PV which doesn't provide the bandwidth they need. With a full house, the internet was slow and at times didn't work. While they provide WiFi in the lobby, pool areas and room, the service just wasn't reliable. And with almost everyone carrying an iPad, you'd think they'd get this fixed fast!

Management tells me they are working on this but it did present a problem. So sometimes it worked ok and then others it didn't.

I particularly appreciated the room, pool or restaurant bills they provided. Everything was clear with the added conversion of what the final peso amount was in dollars. This made it helpful. The servers certainly earned a 20% tip. And the housecleaning lady was great. I had no problem giving her some money as she certainly earned it. Everyday, she did something special for us - While an earlier post mentioned the pool butler expecting money, I really didn't have that feeling that I was being "worked" for a tip. I found the folks who served us were great and gladly tipped them as I would at home any day having a meal out or someone who was giving me a hand. But there is nothing more annoying than going to a resort where every two steps, you feel like you need to tip someone. I didn't experience this here.

And, I felt we had great values. As a promotion, we received free breakfast with our room. Same price in dinning room, by the pool or in the room. Other than our frustration with the internet, considering the quality of the room decor, size, cleanliness, landscaping, pool, food and spirit with which everyone really was trying, our stay was a great experience and value. Believe me, it would have been $200 more a day at a Four Seasons and a much smaller room.

Room Tip: Request beach front rooms. If breakfast is included, have breakfast pool side or in the room for a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Administration, PIERRE BONIN at Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know your experience. Off course it is never pleasant to hear that one of our guests has encountered dissatisfaction during their stay. Your observations have been evaluated by all our different divisions’ managers, and taken upon consideration, resulting of specific actions and improvements in their areas.

Once again thank you for your time. It would be a pleasure to host you in the future, please if there is anything we can do for you on your next visit contact me for any further information.

Sincerely!
pierre bonin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Garza Blanca from December 15-22. Our experience echoes many of the positive reviews we read prior to our stay. Arrived before check in and concierge explained hotel amenities, our all-inclusive plan etc. We were given a delicious cucumber margarita and lavender scented, chilled towel. We were pitched on the time-share and agreed due to the deep discounts we were offered on couples massages and zip line tour. If we had it to do again we would probably make the same choice though I will say the "90 minute" breakfast and presentation lasted 3 hours. Breakfast was fantastic and free but was put off when asked by our salesman, Ron, to leave a tip for the wait staff. They invited us to breakfast yet I had to fork over $10 for the service. Regardless, massage was relaxing and perfect and zip line tour was a great experience.

We experienced great service, at times a bit slower, but relaxing for 10 hours a day next to the pool we were never in a rush. Oswaldo, server pool side, catered to our every need. He was by far the hardest working server and probably earned $150 from me alone over the 7 day stay.

The food was def 5 star. Everything tasted great, presented beautifully and cooked to our liking. I will say some of the wait staff at Blanca Blue could use a bit more training....but we never experienced lazy service or inconsiderate staff. They truly put customer service priority #1. Room service was a bit slow I will say and had to call down once or twice for missing items.

Great beach, soft sand but you will find some rocks in the water. But sitting in a lounge chair with drinks was very relaxing. We were never approached about not being able to reserve a spot and my amigo, Oswaldo, came down regularly to check on us.

BED BUGS!! Literally my only true negative about this resort and I am shocked that no other review has mentioned this (further explanation to come) After night one I woke up with a couple bits on my leg and did not think to much of it, though they itch worse than mosquito bits, wasn't sure if it had happened the night before and did not give it much thought. By the fourth morning I had 15-20 bits on my body as did my wife. I am not a light sleeper and found myself wide awake at 3 am laying on top of the covers in jeans and using a robe as a blanket. Miserable!! Quick google search confirmed the bits were from bed bugs. Though I wish I would have acted sooner, we complained to the front desk and they moved us to a mountain suite (no upgrade charge). They did not question my reasoning and it was a smooth transition to the new room. Beautiful room, if you don't mind a bit of walking, which we did not. No more bits, slept peacefully for the rest of the stay.

I am shocked to see no other complaints because I became mildly obsessed ( to the irritation of my wife) with staring at other guests arms and legs and saw multiple guest(all I presume staying in towers 1 & 2) with bits exactly like ours. One individual in particular must have had 30-40 covering his leg alone. I even heard two families at breakfast complaining to each other about how badly they itched.

Despite the five star rating I would give this resort I would not go back for this reason alone. I am still washing our laundry ( which we sequestered from our house) in the hottest water I can, praying we did not bring any home with us. I imagine its only a matter of time before the mountain tower has the same issues.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your experience. Your honest feedback is very valuable to us, and we deeply regret not having met your expectations in the planning of this special vacation .

All areas of opportunity which you mention have been addressed immediately, and we have not experienced any other issues in this regard. We are committed to our guests and staff to receive the highest levels of quality and hygiene on Room Division therefore we have monthly inspections from the association of Distinctive H , to guarantee the standards stated by Mexican law to ensures the highest hygienic management of The hotel .

It should give the mention that we have the certificate HACCP, H , What is the applicable certification standards in both the U.S. and Mexico.

We are between the Pacific Ocean and the mountains, in the rainy season is very common although they do have mosquito fumigation.

Garza Blanca doesn’t discard the presence of small mosquitos bite ( jejenes ) in the air and in the beach area.

It is unfortunate that we did not learn about your distress during your stay, in order to provide you with assistance.

We would like to contact you personally to discuss the situation. Please be assured that we are taking into consideration each and every point mentioned in your review.

Regards,
Santa Barbara
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family spent the holidays at this resort. We travel often to PV and usually rent a home but this year, opted to stay at this beautiful resort. We opted for breakfast only there are many good restaurants that we enjoy. And, it's always fun to venture out to Old Town to visit the art galleries and markets.

THE GOOD: PV has some beautiful, well designed upscale homes so we were glad Garza Blanca fit the bill as we were too late this year to secure a good home. The property is tastefully designed, upscale with thick bath towels, luxurious bathrooms and attention to detail - almost to the standards of a Four Season or Ritz Carlton property but still falling short. It's sad because it wouldn't take much to reach that standard. Pillow options (no down pillows) complimentary coffee provided each morning, etc.

The front staff are great - from security, check in, bellmen, etc but you can tell many of them are not seasoned in hospitality.

THE BAD: As with any property during the holiday season, they have a higher occupancy rate. Luckily, they have an opportunity to make good money with restaurant, room service, etc but they often seem unable to keep the pace. One morning, we waited 15 minutes for someone to take our order. We found the coffee pots and poured ourselves coffee and handed the pot to others who were waiting. An hour and fifteen minutes with other tables with kids screaming isn't paradise for us. The next morning we called room service for breakfast. We thought we could relax and just wait. After one hour, breakfast never came. The next morning, we took a taxi to old town and ate at a local pancake house and had a full breakfast in 10 minutes. We tried breakfast again in the restaurant and because we were early, breakfast was timely. BTW, the breakfast is great if you get your order hot from the kitchen. The next morning, we tried 9:30, they were packed and again, service was at a crawl. I spoke with the manager and he said after New Years, a lot of their workers just didn't show up. I suggested setting up a buffet. Like most hotels, elegant breakfast buffets require 1/3 the staff. He said he didn't have the equipment. We went decided to go to Mega, bought breakfast food and enjoyed fixing breakfast in our rooms (We had two bedroom suite with full kitchen) and actually enjoyed this all the more. I would just skip breakfast until they get the equipment to have a buffet.

OK The REAL BAD: Because the website was confusing, we called to make sure they had internet in the rooms. The website said there was a fee. The reservation folks said internet was now free but they DID NOT HAVE WiFi. So we brought along an ethernet cord and router so we could use our two laptops and four iPads. Come on, every home, villa and hotel in PV has full WiFi and some with Vonage - free US calls. But we came prepared.

We were surprised to learn they now have Wifi in the rooms. The reservation folks didn't know this. But our excitement was dashed as we soon found out the internet didn't work well, was spotty or down. This all happened days before the so called fiscal cliff and as with many American's most were busy trying to stay on top of their investments. I shared a taxi with a guy so we could go into town and use the WiFi at the cafe to stay on top of year end business matters. It's hard to explain why a hotel of this magnitude, catering to a market willing to spend $15,000 for their family vacation and no provide WiFi. I was told there was only one internet provider south of town and it wasn't dependable. Well, before I broke ground on this property, spend $50 million to develop it, I would make sure it had water, electricity and internet. Particularly if you're catering to a middle to upper middle class market.

I do believe these are all minor problems that can quickly be remedied. They are close to being a 5 star hotel but until they get these bugs fixed, they will not have the repeat customers they'll need to stay in business. But, there are some very fine people who work at this property and who are really trying to give good service. Hopefully, the management will give them the training and back they need to accomplish the task.

And for those who plan on using the full, deluxe kitchens. They don't provide much. We wanted to make nachos - not pan for the oven. Wanted to boil pasta, no pot to boil the pasta. Small frying pan and pot. Few dishes, toaster, can opener, coffee pot, knives. Not even a cheese grater. I'm sure if you ask, they might be able to provide more but we never tried. At this point, we just wanted to be independent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hotel_Administration, PIERRE BONIN at Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your experience. Your honest feedback is very valuable to us, and we deeply regret not having met your expectations in the planning of this holidays vacation .
Of course it is never pleasant to hear one of our guests has encountered dissatisfaction during their stay.

For all of us, your comments are important, since they are the tool to improve our quality and service levels and also to highlight the opportunity areas that you as our important client noted during your stay.

It is important to let you know, that all areas of opportunity which you mention have been addressed immediately, that every single comment, note, suggestion and recommendation are read & considered in our weekly meeting and with your kind help and time, this is the first step to take our beloved resort and service into the next level.

We encourage you to give us a second chance, assuring you that next time we will full filed all your expectations and leave with a far better taste. Not just from me, but from more than 250 people waiting for you with open arms.

Best regards,

PIERRE BONIN
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were at Garza Blanca over the Christmas holiday: two parents and three young adult children. We were on the all-inclusive plan. We booked through a travel agent.

The Good:
Garza Blanca is a beautiful resort that is very well tended. We booked a two-bedroom suite and it was wonderful: spacious, comfortable, and clean. Incredibly, the suite contains three full bathrooms. (What a plus!) The balcony is so large it's like having another room. And the view is priceless.

The swimming pools are beautiful, the towels are thick, and the beach is big enough to enjoy yourself and have some privacy.

Some of the staff truly are superior: Cecile, the supervisor at Blanca Blue, is smart, professional, and engaging; Teresa at the front desk willingly took multiple pictures of us in our family tshirts; Lorena is a terrific waitress at Blanca Bleu; Jaime does a great job at the always-busy Aquazul; and Victor may be the best bellman in history. No request of ours was too small or too big. Clearly the management has made some terrific hires who go a long way to making the guests feel appreciated.

No one tried to switch us to accommodations up the hill.

Finally, our bill at checkout was correct. No charges except for the additional tips that we gave. No hassle of any kind.

The Indifferent:
We travel to a different island and resort every year for the holiday and are aware of how busy the hotels get. The systems at Garza Blanca broke down when the house was full: it could take 45 minutes to get a drink at the pool. room service never came one time, and housekeeping missed our room. While annoying, these are not uncommon. What is particularly annoying however, is when you've paid thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars, you expect service that is closer to perfect.

We never were able to make the kitchen supply folks understand that there were five paying adult guests, not two, so we constantly were shorted our daily supplies. We fixed that by going to the pool and getting more.

Because we were on the all-inclusive plan, we ate only at the hotel. Blanca Blue and Aquazul are fine and both have some delicious options. Boca dos Stk is a a real trial for the diner: service that is so slow that you want to rest your head on the table and go to sleep, uncoordinated service, and missed items. It's fun to be up above the rest of the resort, but that's the best that can be said. And three of us are competent Spanish speakers so it wasn't a language problem.

The Wretched:
Two things. The beach butler and the airport transportation. We were set up at the beach one morning and waiting for our three children to join us when one of the beach staff told us that he would take our chairs if anyone wanted them. He said that it wasn't permitted to reserve chairs unless we paid extra money and engaged the beach butler. We looked around and virtually every chair at the beach and the pool had "reserved" towels on them, but he only approached us. Was he looking for a handout? Was he a jerk? Hard to know but completely unacceptable.

Our travel agency's agent gave the hotel bellman the money to call a van for trip to the airport -- we saw this transaction -- but the bellman did not do it. After 20 minutes of asking and waiting, a van did show up but the driver wanted more money and unloaded our bags and us. After waiting 30 minutes -- and you know what the traffic is like in PV and what a mess that airport can be -- we got even more insistent and demanded to see the manager. The bellman then put us in two cabs, one of which drove on the wrong side of the road to avoid traffic, and we made it to our planes on time. This is completely inexcusable. We booked and reconfirmed the ride, and we were in the lobby ten minutes early. Either the bellman were incompetent or he wanted more money. Either way -- completely unacceptable and a rotten way to end a lovely trip.

Room Tip: Stay by the beach.
Dear Guest:

Thank you for having taken the time to post your review of your stay at Garza Blanca puerto valarta México.

We deeply apologize for the odd situation you went through during the check out process, and for not meeting your expectations. Rest assure that we will be working very close with the involved Departments in order to improve our opportunity areas.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future.

Cordially,

Pierre Bonin
Valdosta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Just returned yesterday from this beautiful resort. Spacious, ocean front, very well furnished with wrap around porch in 1 bedroom unit. Excellent service. Arjelia in the concierge was welcoming, friendly and extremely helpful. The views from the room, swimming pool, restaurants and front lobby are breath taking. Location is perfect away from the downtown restaurants and easily accessible by inexpensive taxi. The beach is private and the ocean is very close to the rooms and the resort. I would return in a heart beat and recommend this resort to anybody looking for luxurious rest, relaxation and beautiful views.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We spent a week with my family, which includes two children - ages 5 & 1. The property is fantastic: Grounds meticulously maintained, clean, and spacious room with a spectacular view of the beach. The pools and hot-tub were always the perfect temperature, no matter the time of day.

Based on the past reviews and our own experiences in Mexico, we expected spotty service, but that was not the case. The waitstaff, room service, and housekeeping were all very attentive to our needs, and timely. We also found them to be very friendly and helpful. The resort even had a on-site physician from the local hospital, who came in very handy when our child became sick.

We did not take the AI plan, which worked well for us, but the food at the resort was very good. The restaurants really did not have a child friendly menu, but they went out of their way to give us options for the children. We are fortunate that our kids are not too picky.

Our only complaint was with the check in staff(the concierges), and process. They seem to have forgotten that guests generally travel many hours -- and are typically exhausted by the time they reach the resort. Let's not forget that this is exasperated with children. The concierge(s) did greet us with cool towels and beverages upon arrival. HOWEVER, that was the prelude to a subsequent HARD pitch to attend their timeshare presentation. They were adamant that we were victims of an airport timeshare huckster, and would not let up with pressing us to give information about getting through the airport --essentially calling us liars. They spent so much time on their pitch, but failed in their duty to inform us about the ins-and-out of the resort -- such as what was included with our package. For example, it was not until we were checking out that we found out that our breakfast (we only had 1 onsite) was included with our package. Before arriving, we called to ensure that we could have a portable crib. When it was not there, we naturally called the concierge. It took two days to arrive.

The next morning, as we were leaving the resort for a trip into town to buy breakfast and light groceries for the week -- much of which would have been unnecessary had they bothered to explain that breakfast was provided with our package. They actually got up and followed us out of the lobby to ensure that we were not meeting an agent of a rival hotel - all the while insisting that we should attend their presentation and accept their gift --which incidently was a tequila tasting tour -- but guess what, OUR KIDS DON'T DRINK TEQUILLA! If they paid attention, this might have been obvious.

Garza Blanca is a fantastic place, and we would go back in spite of this. Just beware of the aggressive "personal concierge" upon arrival.

Room Tip: You can take the bus for 7 pesos per adult. Kids are free. Ride is wild, but it is cheap, and you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hotel_Administration, GENERAL MANAGER PIERRE BONIN at Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your review after your recent visit to Garza Blanca. We will take under serious consideration your comments which will help us improve constantly.
At Garza Blanca Preserve. Resort & Spa we pride ourselves with the quality attention and service we provide our guests, and we would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your check in.
Please come and visit us again, it will be our pleasure to serve you and help you experience a wonderful vacation, and hope you can perceive our improvement on your next visit.

Happy new year
PIERRE BONIN

Been to Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!