“Held hostage in Garza Blanca” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 7.5 a Barra de Navidad, Puerto Vallarta 48390, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Rate
$173 (USD)
Ranked #12 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
shawnm2009
“Held hostage in Garza Blanca”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

To the management - you should have just let us leave after the first day instead of making us stay and refusing to refund our money. For the price....forget it. You should have refunded me for the mornings I was up at 7am woken by construction workers opening our hotel room door!!!

I've stayed in Puerto Vallarta a few times and decided to extend my 5 day trip by 3 days. I booked at Garza Blanca last minute and what a terrible end to a great vacation. The pool is right off the main road so you hear street noise. I had to move room 3 times...the first junior suite had a balcony that had lights shining in from the street. If you go, do NOT stay on the beach side. Room are terrible. After finally moving to the newly opened tower, I thought that would be better. They promised me nobody would bother us yet both mornings at 7am we were woken up by construction workers next door. Guess they were not done!!! One instance they actually opened our room door since they didn't think anyone was staying there.

The food...awful except for the new restaurant. The people for the most part were very nice but you are required to sign every hour which is a pain. They track you down in the pool to close out tabs on an hourly basis. I honestly don't get that.

I usually stay at nice resorts and this I can say is not one of them. I would NEVER stay at this place again and would NEVER recommend to anyone. I asked after the first day to cancel our last two nights and move hotels but the refused to let me. They honestly could have just ended things there but chose not to. The management is clueless and they have no idea how to run a resort. At the new tower its just construction workers running around everywhere and lots of noise at the pool with a crane swinging over.

Trust me, there are plenty of better places to stay in PV. Feel free to contact me for more details.

Room Tip: Don't go. If you do, good like finding a nice room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Napa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel has everything going for other than being pretty far out of town, especially with all of the road work. They have tons of staff who are eager to help but don't know what to do in order to help. The check in was smooth and easy, they didn't press us at all on the time share, guess my husband has that look to him. The bartender in the main bar was very eager to help and very nice, however, he can only take one drink order at a time and make each of those one at a time. The rooms are very nice, needed to ask each day that our mini bar was re-stocked. We travel to Mexico a couple times a year and know the service is slow and we can relax, Garza Blanca took waiting to the next level, we waited in one of the restaurants for 30 minutes before our drink order was taken, once again the orders came one at a time. I would recommend this for relaxing and especially if the management gets it together to train these very eager employees.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at Garza Blanca from 11/15-11/19. This resort is amazing! The views, the lobby, and the customer service exceeding all of our expectations. This resort was under construction while we were there because they are expanding to several towers. When we arrived, we were told we got an upgrade to the brand new tower. They told us no one had ever stayed in that room, and we were the first, so we took it! Once we got to the room, the view was spectacular, nothing I had ever seen! After a few trips to the private beach access or the lobby, we began to feel like our upgrade was more of a downgrade because to get to the beach/lobby/main entrance/restaurants, you have to take a golf cart ride down. It was fine the first few times, but then it got really annoying. Despite that our stay was so great! The staff is so friendly, and you really get the feel that they will go above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable.
The restaurants are pricey and sometimes the food was a hit or miss. I ordered the same dish twice at the Boca Dossk restaurant and both times it tasted different. Blanca blue feels like a high end restaurant and their presentation of food is spectacular! The outside seating for both restauants is a must!
We had a issue with our billing at checkout, but the manager Hans was so nice and understanding about it. At the end, he took care of it. He seems like he is very compassionate about his job and where he works!

Would definitely recommend this place!

Taos, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I found Garza Blanca to be lovely. The room was very clean and nicely appointed. I fell in love with the hammock on the patio. Great views and quiet area. Good place for relaxing and good swimming beach. We were greated with a delicious and refreshing cucumber margarita but then hit up for a " presentation breakfast" I hate that! Several spa discounts were offered then withdrawn when we opted out of the breakfast so that felt offputting. The pool is spectacular though and I was content just to gaze at the amazing views from the edge of the infinity pool while watching the sunset over Banderas Bay. We only stayed 2 days and it was a great start to a 3 week vacation.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at Garza Blanca for the first time at the beginning of November and I loved it so much that I am already planning a return trip! The all-inclusive package was well worth the reasonable price, especially once I got a taste of their cucumber maragitas. Tower 2 offered quick and easy access to the pools and beach, but I have to say I probably spent equally as much time on my terrace, swinging in a hammock and enjoying the view. Since I am a vegan I was a little nervous going into the trip that I was going to starve. Both Blanca Blue and BocaDos had vegetarian options that could be veganized, so while the selection wasn't huge, I was pleased to find something I could eat at every meal. The chef, Kori, even made me a special quinoa dish one night when BocaDos was featuring a very meat-heavy menu. When you dine at BocaDos please go early to enjoy the sunset and several glasses of their white wine sangria! If you like to work out the hotel has a small but well appointed gym (with an amazing view) and you can also try your hand at kayaking or stand up paddleboarding. The staff was very attentive overall, especially the guys out by the pool and concierges in the lobby. I truly got the feeling that the staff would do their best to accommodate any request. Garza Blanca is a great place to relax and unwind!

Room Tip: Towers 2 & 3 are on the beach side. The new tower 4 (which I think may be mostly timeshare) has...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here for four days in late Sept. The grounds are gorgeous and the pool area is stunning visuals. The staff was helpful and the guys out by the pool and beach are very attentive to getting your food and drinks all day. I loved that we could swim in the roped off area of the ocean and it was big enough to enjoy but the rocks had been cleared away. There were a couple of vendors but they stayed away once you said yes or no, and didn't bother you if you had told them no the day before. Since it was slow season the main restaurant was open every other night. I will write a separate review of the STK property, but the breakfasts at BlancaBlue were outstanding. Fantastic food every morning with an array of fresh juices. I did not have a good meal there the one night we ate there for dinner though their cocktails were great and my husband's meal was fine. The food by the pool, Aquazul was good for lunch and my only complaint was they were usually closed at night when we came in from dinner. We ordered room service once which was also good. I was a huge fan of STK so that's where we had two of our dinners when we didn't go off the property.

I highly recommend visiting the zoo if you are going to this property as it's about a 10 cab drive there and there are cabs waiting to take you back. If you have a car it's a fairly easy straight drive there and back.

I didn't try the spa this trip, but we did use the gym.

We had a gorgeous view from our room and got a special on a site where we had an outdoor jacuzzi on our balcony. I loved this hotel, for the grounds, food, pool, beach area, rooms, and views. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We loved Garza Blanca so much the first time that we went right back five months later. First dates where June, second dates were early November (end of and beginning of season.) General observations: The first new time share tower is finished and they are opening it on November 22, 2012. There are two more towers under constructions right now. We had no issues with the noise. There is an endless stream of prospective buyers flowing through the hotel at all times. The room was perfect and well tended to. The beach fabulous, the pool area to die for. I noticed that as this second week got busier that things got a little bit more inconsistent. When the restaurant was full(er) the service was not as attentive. We sat inside instead of outside and while we were trying to have dinner they adjusted the lights, build a breakfast buffet for the following day (??) at 7PM. There was a group of local celebrities and this group of six got a lot of attention which took away from the other guests. Also pool chaises are suddenly reserved (which I hate with a passion.) Just small things that they need to pay attention to if they want to continue to be a 5 Star. The food was very good, we love our Chef Kori Sutton who runs Bocca, the upstairs restaurant with the killer view. In the beach restaurant Blance Blue we like the consistency of the dinner but for breakfast they can't get the eggs right. Poached eggs are always stone hard and over-easy floats of your plate. We noticed this on both visits. Try the French Toast instead - fabulous. We have gone twice now all inclusive and have not regretted it. While the pool and beaches are great and obviously time-shares are geared toward families it is more of a romantic getaway for two. Solid performance on all ends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!