“GREAT PLACE (but beware of the bed in Paraiso #4!!)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Selva Romantica

You added Selva Romantica to your Saves list
Selva Romantica
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Francisca Rodriquez 203 | Zona Romantica, Puerto Vallarta 48380, Mexico   |
Vancouver, BC
“GREAT PLACE (but beware of the bed in Paraiso #4!!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

First, let me just way this is a great condo complex in a great location. It's our 3rd time to PV and I'd say If you're going to stay in the old town of PV I would definitely recommend Selva Romantica.

PROS:
-Location - only 3 blocks from Los Muertos Beach, Olas Altas, etc.
-Very reasonable prices
-Newer building (about six years old I was told) so most units are immaculate with lots of features - flat screen TVs, AC, WiFi, nice furnishings, etc.
-Great infinity pool with an awesome view of the Old Town, the bay, etc. and lots of sun
-Quiet both day and night - most tenants seem to be 40+
-Night watchman
-Laundry machines available if they are not in your unit.
-Decent Gym
-Gay friendly

CONS:
-It's an uphill walk to the hotel.
-No elevators and some of the buildings in the complex are several stories.
-The pool is not heated (COLD!)
-It's not a hotel: No bar tender, no room service, no front desk (you'll have to rely on your owner or property manager).

Regarding Paraiso #4, it is a studio condo we rented through a property management site. The unit is actually quite good. Except the BED - is constructed as a wood platform and the wood settles once you lay on it for a couple minutes. Then every time you move or change positions (which, if you're like me, is often due to the firmness of Mexican beds) the bed would make a LOUD creaking/popping/cracking noise which woke me up at least six times a night. I really couldn't sleep well and I spent much of my vacation under-rested. I would strongly recommend against renting this unit until they replace the bed. I put a picture of the offending bed so you know which one to watch for. Still, a good unit, and once they do something about the bed I'd recommend it because its close to the pool.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

After 5 days in our studio apartment, 'Safari 9', I can heartily recommend it to travelers who are seeking an alternative to upscale hotels. Here, you have a complete studio, about 600 square feet. King bed, sofa and chair area with 32 " flat screen satellite TV. Beyond french doors is a small dining area with seating for 4 and an efficiency kitchen with 2 burner cooktop, sink, microwave, full fridge and table top broiler/oven and a small island. The kitchen can be opened to the outside with louvered folding doors. We found the studio immaculate and well equipped including laundry detergent (free use of washer/dryer), paper products, utensils, cookware and purified drinking water. Our landlords had a 5lb bag of ice in the freezer. Our laptop was able to find a good unsecured wireless connection. The main attraction for us was the infinity pool and hot tub overlooking the entire city, and they were as spectacular as advertised. Pool water was not heated, and during our stay, PV was around 5 degrees cooler than usual, so few guests used the pool. We did not have maid service, and I don't know f it's an option in other apartments. Each unit is individually owned and priced. Some units have spectacular views, others much less so. Apartments facing south are quieter but lack the city/fireworks view. Our unit had 3 ceiling fans with lights. Our bathroom was compact but hot water was plentiful. We paid slightly less than $100/day, but prices fluctuate widely according to season and demand. A few caveats: If you're a senior and are fussy about mattresses, be aware that the mattress in Safari 9 is very firm. We never slept well in it, but we're nearly 60 years old with sensitive backs. We loved the location, near the beach and the heart of the Zona. But, be advised that walking back up from the rear entrance, is well over 100 steps (more depending on where you're staying) . Walking around to the front entrance from the beach you have to climb the equivalent height, but more gradually. We actually enjoyed the exercise, but if you're out of shape, don't forget anything because you may not want to go back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I can’t say enough about this complex and especially about the unit I stayed in. I stayed in Condo Linda Vista which feels more like a house than a condo with its multi-level terrace, beautiful garden and flowers, and built-in BBQ. From the exquisite furnishings to the expansive views, I was in absolute heaven. To have all this and then access to a pool area that overlooks the bay and town, was more than I hoped for. It’s rare that a place I booked over the internet exceeds my expectations to this degree, but this place did it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

My boyfriend and I just got back from an 8 night stay at Selva Romantica. We traveled with another couple, all of us in our early 30's. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit called casa cameron and we all very extremely please with the accomodations and service. The unit itself was beautiful with heavy glossy wood closets and doors, spanish tile floors, and lovely terraces. Each bedroom was the size of a regular hotel room and we each had our own bathroom but then we also had the living, dining area and kitchen. The Kitchen was fully stocked and functional and there was plenty of bottled water in giant jugs. As everyone has said the pool area was heaven and so much more relaxing than the resorts pandemoneum. We were there for low season so there were only a few other people at any given time and we were often the only ones there. There is always gardeners and staff around and they are extremely friendly and helpful. PVRPV was the company our condo used and they were unbelievably helpful and responsive to any questions and issues we had. We loved the decor of our condo as it was beautiful traditional Mexican artwork with a lot of wood detailing but can't speak to the decor of the other units. We were worried about the hill due to the prior review but really didn't find it bad at all. If you have arthritis or something or are wearing 5 inch heels it may be a problem but otherwise it is just a hill. There is a backgate that lets out onto a street without a hill but there is a slight hill on the property down to that gate and there is some stairs. Your climb from that gate will depend on the location of your unit. We picked a 2nd floor unit on purposes because we were not sure if we wanted to navigate 4 floors after a hill but because theu units are built onto the hill I don't think that any of them are necessarily too high for mobile people. We had to walk down stairs to our unit from the main gate so if you take the front hill you would be level with a 4th floor unit. The front gate lets out onto the street straight up from the beach and the back gate lets out onto a great main street that interesects with Basillio Badillio. This street has tons of great restaurants and shops and if you go East a few blocks has most of the ATV rental places. We did our tour through Unique Atv Tours and they were awesome. The main street the gate lets you out on will take you directly to the bridge over the river where there is a giant flea market and the Malecon just a few more blocks up from that. It is only like a 2 block walk from the gate to our very favorite bar- Bolero. It is a small, cheap, local spot owned by an awesome couple from SF. Al is the very friendly Canadian bartender and Ivan is the sweetest local bartender ever. They are both friendly and helpful and pour cheap stiff drinks! We also loved the bakery that is an immediate left on Basillio badillio from tha back gate and they speak great english and will tell you what is in each of their delicious pastries. Carmel croissants, cheese crosisants, ham & cheese empanadas, cheesecakes, you get the idea!

We can't say enough about Selva Romantica and Casa cameron. We watched the sunset and pirate ship fireworks from the pool and hot tub just about every night. The hot tub's temperature was sporadic, which was one of the only drawbacks. It was barely warmer than the pool the first night so we asked the maintenance guy and the next night it was really nice and hot but then by two nights later it was cool again. I suggest just being vocal about it if it is important to you and maybe giving them a tip and I am sure they will keep it hot for you.

Total paradise and we will definitley return!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

We rented a large block of rooms for my niece's wedding - the staff went out of their way to make sure that we had everything we needed, from calling cabs for us when we needed to taking photographs at the wedding. By the time we left, Eileen and Ken felt more like family than just someone who rented us a room.
The walk up hill could be challenging for someone with health issues, but after eating at any of the fantastic restaurants on the Malacon, the exercise was welcome.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Traverse City, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

My girlfriend and I rented a studio unit at Selva Romantica for a little over a week in 2009. We really enjoyed our stay here. We found the property was well kept, the grounds inside being reminiscent of the jungle, and the common facilities (pool, etc.) were also quite lovely. Our room was a good size for a studio, I would guess close to 550-600 square feet. The open air design of the room made it seem even larger than that, and also put us both at ease. We enjoyed a small kitchen, balcony, comfortable bed and sitting rooms and a well appointed bathroom.

The infinity pool at the crest of the property is really nice. We enjoyed swimming and sunbathing in that area for many hours and the view is fantastic. There is also a comfortable hot tub which we enjoyed at night. The pool is attached to a "submerged bar"/cabana but we never saw it in operation, but would have liked to. There was also an exercise facility on hand.

The location was good, towards the South end of town and access to the beach and highway were both easy for us. There's a good selection of restaurants in the area which made dining out very comfortable for us and plenty to do near the ocean.

Best of all, we were never bothered by anyone. This isn't like staying in a hotel at all, it's just like a short term rental of an apartment. You have your own space and can more or less set your own rules and you don't suffer from that over sanitized feeling most hotels offer in Mexico (makes me feel like I've gone to a retirement community). It was a great place to stay and I highly recommend it.

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed in a spacious 700 square foot studio apartment that was just 15 steps away from a most amazing infinity pool that overlooked the beautiful section that is known as "Old Town" in Puerto Vallarta. This private gated condo complex with beautifully manicured landscaping was nothing short of Shangra-La in my opinion. This small and cozy condo complex has more of a Four Seasons like feel. Further, its location is less than a 5 minute walk down the street to Los Muertos Pier and beautiful Banderas Bay. It is completely safe to walk at night and I love the fact that there is on-sight building security at night, although I never felt anything less than safe during my holiday getaway.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Selva Romantica? Share your experiences!