I stayed here for 7 nights in October for $15 USD/$195 MXN per night (there may have been a 1 week rate but I paid day to day). Unlike a previous review, I WASN'T able to pay by credit card, but both pesos and American cash was fine. Also I think the owners were spending more time in their newer hostel in Sayulita so I never saw them. The staff here, however, were FANTASTIC, incredibly helpful and friendly.
The hostel itself is in the Romantic Zone (Old Town) in a safe and convenient (and pride-friendly) location--two blocks from the beach, and less than that to cafes, restaurants, a convenience store, etc. It was very clean, and my 6-bed dorm had an ensuite bathroom. The air circulation could have been better in the bathroom but there's another shower and toilet option that you're also free to use. The beds were comfy with reading lights, and they provide HUGE lockers although in a pretty high traffic area.. at least for my particular room. The A/C came on from 8pm-8am. :)
The common area was really conducive to meeting people, the kitchen spacious and with filtered water, the front door always locked (hooray security!), but the cherry on top was the incredible pool located upstairs (shared with the people at the Vallarta Sun Hotel and Suites). Medium sized, gorgeous, and great lounging area there too..
I'd highly recommend this hostel. Also, save yourself some cash and take the public bus here rather than a taxi--it's only $6.50 MXN and the bus stops only a few blocks away. Both El Centro and Tunel work.
Downside? No free breakfast although some literature says they offer this. Instead they have a deal with a family owned restaurant a few doors down for a $20 MXN breakfast of tea/coffee, fresh fruit and bread with jam. It would've been nice if I could pay by card as well, and a little table in the room would be handy if you get stuck with a (very high) top bunk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the romantic zone of Puerto Vallarta just a few steps away from one of the most attractive sandy beaches - Playa de los Muertos - and surrounded by great cafes and restaurants, our location allows you to walk to the most beautiful places in town. Enjoy the quietude while staying in the heart of Old Puerto Vallarta. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelBookers so you can book your Vallarta Sun Suites & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vallarta Sun Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Vallarta Sun Suites And Hotel