“A great PV old standby” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“A great PV old standby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We always go here our first night and get the platter for 2. It's wonderful and you come away stuffed. It gets very crowded after 7 pm and you might have to wait in line but it's worth the experience. We've also eaten there for breakfast and enjoyed it.

Visited December 2012

Toronto
“Eeeek.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We loved this place - until we saw that they 'recycle' the chips they put on the tables. We watched them clear tables and then dump whatever uneaten chips were in the basket back into a oven to keep warm, then the kids in the back would grab a bunch with their hands and put them in another basket for the next table. Gross.
We love the food here and really don't want to give this place a bad rap, and I understand about cost saving and not wanting to throw out good food, but this is how germs are spread, and people get sick. We had a table with a few people who were coming down with colds and flu. The thought that their chips they had touched were being thrown back and reheated for the next table of people really put me off. We stopped going after this, unfortunately. I wondered what other unfinished food items were being recycled too.

I would love to hear that this practice has stopped, and soon.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Puerto Vallarta
“The Best Chicken Soup...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I recently found myself under the weather and desiring comfort and healing qualities of fresh chicken soup. A friend brought me several servings and I am now a devoted fan. Fresh chicken, broth, a touch of rice, fresh Avocado and Pico de Gallo to float on top. It helped nurse me back to health and now I just crave it and plan to get my weekly fix from now on. In high season, there is often a line but the service staff & management team are very efficient. Do not be discouraged, the wait is surprisingly short and anyway even if it was it is more than worth it. Gracias Cafe de Olla Equipo para la sopa y enchiladas anoche. Muy Rico!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good basic fare and reasonably priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

There's a reason you have to wait to get into this restaurant. Simple dishes are well-prepared. I had octopus with peppers last night and it was an absolute keeper! The Mexican platter is worthwhile and gives a taste of several dishes. Not something I normally go for but this one makes it. The chili rellanos are super. Service is attentive. Prices are quite reasonable for PV.

Visited January 2013
San Francisco
“Good food, good prices, strong margaritas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Cafe de Olla has reliable traditional Mexican food at good prices. The rellenos are my favorite, as the pepper usually has a bit of kick to it, unlike in the US where they are so mild. Margaritas are big and strong. There is usually a wait at peak times, but they will serve you a drink outside while you are waiting in line. Friendly staff and good service.