“A beautiful experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #38 of 772 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Chilliwack, Canada
“A beautiful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I decided to go here after reading many good things on these message boards about this restaurant. We we seated kind of in the middle area surrounded by other tables. I was a bit dissapointed, but realized we had a really good view of the scenery and the miachi band. We loved the music. The restaurant itself was beautiful. Our service was very good and we had a wine recomended to us that we loved. We ordered soup to start then our mains. The soup was good, but was more then I expected. I wished I hadn't eaten it all as I didn't have much appetite for dinner afterwards. I ordered the shrimp stuffed pepper which I wasn't too fond of. My husband had lamb that was really good. The price was the highest we paid in Puerto Vallarta, but it was worth it. I was suprised that the tip was included in the bill and I don't like that at all. My husband still tipped our waiter extra.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

West Kelowna, Canada
“Disappointing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

February 20,2013, my wife's birthday. Always go somewhere special for that. Many cities, many restaurants. Some good some not so good.
This is one of the later, perhaps because of the hype, we expected more.
The room is packed with people and the service is not great. Our waiter is efficient but hurried. Seems disappointed that are only having main courses, no extras.
I've already forgotten what we ordered. It was not bad, simply forgettable.
There was a very large mariachi band playing and while we were a good distance from it, it was very loud. We are not fans, but they were very professional and some of the soloists were exceptional. Not conducive to a romantic birthday dinner although that seems to be the raison de être for this place because I lost count of the happy birthdays that were sung to other tables and then ours as well. We were given a lovely dessert upon the occasion. It was the best part of the meal.
The bill was accompanied by the information that a 15% gratuity had been included. Although common in Europe, this is rare in Mexico and rather annoying, as we didn't feel the experience warranted more than 10%.
This is an elegant restaurant, so the presence of a small white dog begging from table to table was a bit disconcerting.
More upsetting was the absence of proper toilets. There appeared to be only 1 very small facility for each gender. The men's was cramped with only a toilet, the floor in front of which was covered with urine. There were 2 small hand towels tossed on the counter, both well used and wet.
The ladies did not fare any better according to my wife. We were seated with a clear view of the toilets and there were constant line ups the whole time we were there.
I've seen much better toilets in economy restaurants all over PV.
This is a seriously expensive restaurant with a mandatory 15% tip. It is also seriously overrated.
We are not inexperienced travellers and we understand that anyone can have a bad day, but those toilets and that dog in that classy environment?
Well that's like wearing a tailored tuxedo over soiled and torn underwear.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“magical!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wonderful experience, wonderful food, wonderful music! I can't wait to go back! And did I mention the view????

Visited February 2013
hudson, quebec
“Sunday Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Getting there is half the fun and once you've arrived you can't get enough of the magnificent hacienda setting with the incredible view. Brunch at Pesos 295.00 is a very good deal given the quality and choices of the food. We enjoyed seafood appetizers including shrimps, calamari and smoked salmon followed by roastbeef (my wife's choice of rare was better than my medium). For desert you can choose from a varity of cakes or have a crepe suzette prepared for you (our choice). We definitely needed to take a long walk after that meal.
While there, make sure you visit the Boutique Hotel grounds. I wish I could afford to stay there for a few days.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Asheville, North Carolina
“Never Again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Six of us went to the Hacienda San Angel on February 28th to celebrate a friend's birthday. Let me say the restaurant is gorgeous, the view is worth a million bucks, the service suberbly professional (and very impersonal). Now we come to the food. One word: disappointing!
Six people in our party...not one us felt that we had a meal that rose even slighly above the level of mediocre. The appetizers were OK...the main courses poorly presented, not particularly tasty...in my wife's case, a glop of pasta literally dumped on a plate. My five medium sized shrimp arrived tepid and tasteless. Each of the other four in our party had fish...same response from everyone....just boring, very ordinary food. We are all people who truly enjoy good food and don't mind paying top dollar for a great meal. Well, we sure got the top dollar....so where was the great meal? Not at this place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere