“a day at the beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Swell Beach Bar

Swell Beach Bar
182 Amapas | Playa Los Muertos, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (Formerly The Beach House)
52 322 223 0497
Improve this listing
Ranked #113 of 697 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Houston, Texas
“a day at the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

It's on the beach at Los Muertos. The food is excellent and the service is friendly and fast. It's cheaper than the fancy beach restaurants. It's where the local expats hang out.

Visited November 2012

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“This little beach bar has everything I need for the perfect day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Excellent food and drinks, comfy chaise lounges, side tables and umbrellas,a beautiful little palapa restaurant and really fabulous staff and service!

Visited November 2012
Minneapolis, MN
“Relaxing days at Swell Beach Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

On our last trip to PVR 3 years ago we enjoyed going to The Beach House for the day and it has since changed hands, but it is still a great place to spend the day. After our trip to the grocery store we headed to Swell Beach Club for the day on Los Muertos beach. Swell is in the location of the former Beach House. It is not quite as great as it used to be, but very close. They have loungers and good food and service. The restrooms are very clean too. We enjoyed just hanging out and watching people, boats, vendors and dogs. On our first visit to Swell I had the calamari. It was good calamari, but the dipping sauce was not very flavorful. Some of the smaller pieces were a bit chewy and overdone, but the larger pieces were fine. John had a burger and fries. Very good and filling.

We decided to go back to Swell Beach Club for the day toward the end of our trip. I should probably mention how beach clubs work on Los Muertos Beach. Most of the beach clubs do not require a fee to use their chairs and services, you just need to order a minimum amount of food and drink while you are there. I'm not even sure what the minimums are for most of the places we went to, since we usually ordered lunch and pop, water or drinks it was not an issue. It seemed like we usually spend around 300-400 pesos for an afternoon on the beach, depending on how much food and beverage we had. I did not think that was very expensive considering they basically wait on you hand and foot!

On our second visit I had the shrimp tacos for lunch and they were really great! I was a bit surprised that the shrimp were breaded, but the tacos were very tasty anyway. If I recall correctly there was some shredded carrots and radishes inside as well. The dipping sauce on the side was a little spicy and really good! John had the BLT and fries. The bread was nice and crusty, the bacon perfectly cooked and the tomatoes ripe and juicy.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Guadalajara, Mexico
“Used to be One of My Favorite Places”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have probably visited Swell ten time since August. I became loyal after a few great experiences during the off-season. The food is great, the margaritas a strong, and the service used to be excellent. However, in the last few months the service has slipped. The waiters are far less attentive than they used to be. I felt like they were all playing cards and checking on guests every twenty hands or so. For the prices, which are reasonable for Playa de Los Muertos, but expensive nonetheless, I expect a little more effort from the servers. Anyways, good menu, good drinks, good location, great people watching, and a nice place for a swim if the waves aren't to big.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Best place to spend the day on Los Muertos Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

All of the wait staff are wonderful and the fish tacos are really good.
Spent all 28 days of my vacation at this beach club.

• Visited February 2012