“Excellent table side” 5 of 5 stars

322 223 07 88
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
River Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 772 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican, International, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The River Café is a landmark in Puerto Vallarta. Enjoy its cuisine and ambiance with infused flavors for breakfast, lunch or dinner, cared for the friendliest service. By day you’ll see this natural setting surrounded by trees, iguanas and birds. At night expect a pleasant evening with the river sounds, candlelight tables, listening to the live music. Visit and enjoy The River Café with all your senses!
Saskatoon, Canada
“Excellent table side”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was our first time for supper at River Cafe. Unfortunately the gazebo was already booked when I made the reservation but we got river side, which is almost as nice. Our server Jorge totally rocks and provided excellent service. Our food was excellent. We had the artichoke ravioli (small oortion), the spring chicken (large enough I shared with the person having ravioli), catch of the day (mahi mahi) and pescadero all macho (seafood platter), The highlight was the tableside bananas flambe and Marisol coffee. the other couple had the molten lava cake. A very romantic night out.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Newton, MA
“Gourmet food along a tropical riverfront”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This restaurant is just as popular with well-to-do Mexicans as with North Americans. It serves excellent gourmet level Mexican and International dishes.

The setting is gorgeous. It is on a narrow tropical island in the middle of the Cuale River, which runs down the center of Puerto Vallarta.

Visited February 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great atmosphere along the river”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Good food and a wonderful location. If going, ask to be seated along the river, not in the middle of the restaurant. Service could be better, especially since the prices (while reasonable) are higher than many other good places in PV

Visited February 2013
Gatineau, Canada
“Had never been so sick...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

River Cafe was suggested by the Concierge at our resort. We were looking forward to a good meal out on the town in Puerto Vallarta. My husband ate Spring Chicken and was extremely disappointed. There was 2 pieces of potatoes and lots of fat on the chicken leg... I had the Tuna Cervese (or somthing like that) with goat chese, pesto and grilled tomatoes. It tasted wonderful, but I had never expected what came next... Mind you I love seared tuna and have it any chance I get... but within a half hour of finiishing my meal I was so violently sick! Very very sick... I won't ah the gorry details, but believe me, we'd never go back there.

Besides the food, the service was very nice and the location quiet and romantic.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
RIVERCAFEPV, Owner at River Cafe, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Good afternoon.

Thank you for your comment the other day regarding your dinner here with us. The Concierge at your resort was correct in sending you out of the hotel to have a great meal and experience some of Puerto Vallarta’s great restaurants and nightlife. We have addressed the issue with your husband’s Spring Chicken dinner and have made sure that this does not happen again and the dish receives proper attention.

The morning after when we spoke while you were walking by us, I again wanted to thank you for bringing it to our attention, you seemed to be doing very well and I was happy to see you out and about enjoying the Isla Rio Cuale.

As I had mentioned to you in the morning, that the dish you ordered the evening before is one of top sellers and that evening we served 19 dishes perfectly less yours. I am sure that something just did not sit right, perhaps the ingredients were to rich with the Goats Cheese and Pesto along with the glass of Red wine, I am just not sure. I am not questioning your comments about being violently sick, we have to accept that, but we are sure it was a result of something else or I would have been receiving many calls.

I still would like to invite you back as I mentioned in the morning when we spoke when you return to Puerto Vallarta. I am sure if you allow us to take care of you again your impression will be different and truly enjoy your evening with us here at the River Café.

Sincerely
The River Café
Puerto Vallarta
Saint John
“worth looking for this eco-jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We ate late lunch, the typical Mexican food of Tempaquena and Chili Rellenos Mexican plates. Both plates were beautiful to look at and totally delicious. I nearly licked my plate in fact the sauces were so yummy and had to be beaten off of my dining partners plate. Couldn't decide which desert to order so had both the Key Lime Pie and the Coconut Cream pie. They were presented as lovely little tartlettes on a black slate with fresh blackberries and raspberries, vanilla ice cream, tasted homemade and drizzled with a little strawberry coulis. Simply lovely presentation and delectible. (I felt the Key Lime Pie won though). We leaned back with cups of most excellent Cafe de Olla and enjoyed the birdwatching on the river and the 3 huge Iquanas that seemed to be determined to show off for the thrilled tourists busy photographing their antics. A lovely spot at night but equally or even more exciting in daylight if you like bird and Iguana watching. Well worth finding this one. Outstanding and unobtrusive service. Modern and well maintained washrooms which always impresses me. Well worth looking for and then make sure you look for the Museum de Archaeolical within just a few feet of it as we did. We were too full to walk very far and felt the entire area was a hidden jewel not nearly enough people realize is there.

• Visited January 2013