“Young chef, but seasoned” 5 of 5 stars

322 223 07 88
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
River Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 772 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican, International, Contemporary
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The River Café is a landmark in Puerto Vallarta. Enjoy its cuisine and ambiance with infused flavors for breakfast, lunch or dinner, cared for the friendliest service. By day you’ll see this natural setting surrounded by trees, iguanas and birds. At night expect a pleasant evening with the river sounds, candlelight tables, listening to the live music. Visit and enjoy The River Café with all your senses!
West Hollywood, California
“Young chef, but seasoned”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was my 3rd visit to this restaurant and it didn't disappoint. My first was 6 years ago on New Year's eve; second was 2 years ago and I guess you can tell I liked it enough to go a 3rd time. We sat by the rushing river---it had been raining---which only added to the ambience. Our waiter was accommodating, helpful and professional---and the food was excellent. We met their new chef of only one month and were surprised at his age because the flavors, presentation and sophistication of the menu was superb. You will enjoy it! As an added bonus, don't miss the wonderful jewelry boutique at the entrance.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Corona, Ca
“Mediocre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Upon arrival I asked if my wife and I could be seated by the river, the server was accommodating. We sat overlooking the river under the gazebo. Servers were attentive but when we ordered shrimp fajitas for myself and tortilla soup for my wife. I we was clear that I wanted the shrimp fajitas. Unfortunately, I was brought out chicken fajitas, what a dissapointment. I did not say anything because my wife and I have a policy not send food back unless it is terribly inadequate. Although , I wish I had the shrimp it was not the end of the world as we know it. The lemonade was good but wife wish they had refilled her glass and the margaritas were sub-par. It seems that Puerto Vallarta is losing its glamour.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gurnee, Illinois
“The best fine dining experience we had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We ate here the first night another couple flew in from Chicago. It not only had the ambiance, but the food was superb and the presentation beautiful. It was also the priciest dinner we had, but worth it.

Visited May 2012
Newport Beach, California
“Expensive but high quality and the service is superior”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

We stopped in moments before a horrendous thunderstorm - very relieved to have chosen this place because the staff was very attentive, allowing us to stay way past the time it took us to eat. We were not super hungry so we chose an appetizer and a salad. The waiter brought us an amuse bouche in advance - no charge. This place caters to travelers and everyone speaks perfect English but the prices are among the highest we encountered in Puerto Vallarta.

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Elegant tropical ambiance, delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Conveniently located on the Isla Rio Cuale (river island), this restaurant has it all--tropical open-air, sheltered ambiance; excellent service from accommodating English-speaking waitstaff; and delicious food attractively presented. Guacamole and bruschetta appetizers were fresh and tasty. Our family group of eight polished off beef fajitas, shrimp fajitas, vegetarian sandwiches, caprese salad, enchiladas suissas, and a shrimp-scallops dish cooked in foil, followed by excellent flan. Lunchtime drinks were buy one, get one free. At about 2300 pesos including tip, this is not the cheapest lunch, but we often enjoy a major, relaxed meal in the middle of the day and found this the perfect break in a day of exploring/shopping. Shops surround the restaurant and continue down the island. The small, nicely done, free Museo Rio Cuale, which displays archaeological artifacts, is a short walk. Ask for a table overlooking the river; we watched iguanas in the trees and on the ground below us (not a threat to diners) and water birds flying and wading along the river. Visit the bathrooms to see pretty ceramic sinks and brickwork ceilings.

• Visited August 2012