“Craving something different” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Medford, Oregon
“Craving something different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

After a week of Mexican fare we were craving something different. Decided to try Peking. We sat outside on the front porch and were the only ones there. Started with the calamari appetizer. It was crispy with a light batter and very good. For the main's we picked chow mein and the Oriental pork loin. My husband thought the chow mein was the most authentic we had tried in a long time. The pork was slivered with mushrooms,bamboo shoots,cucumber,soy,garlic,chile and white wine. It was very tasty. Good service and prices.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bay Area, CA
“Delightful Surprise and Wonderful Change of Pace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently ate at Peking and had an excellent meal. To be sure, it wasn't the best Chinese food I've ever had, but it was certainly better -- much better, in fact -- than the ubiquitous crap that is otherwise passed off as Chinese Food in the United States. To be clear, this isn't a Mexican interpretation of Chinese food: the owner and head chef, Xu Ji Feng (he goes by Miguel in Mexico) is from Beijing. When I solicited him initially, I explained to him, in Spanish, that I am vegetarian and wanted to know what, if anything, he could do to accommodate my preferences. While he does have one or two items on the menu (the common "mixed vegetables" and a Szechuan tofu), I was hoping for something more interesting and I wanted to ensure that it came without Oyster Sauce (which does, indeed, contain oyster extract) or other animal ingredients. When I suggested a kung pao tofu, he was delighted to make it. When I asked if his egg rolls ("Rollos Primavera") -- which typically and uncharacteristically come with beef -- could be made vegetarian, he willingly offered to accommodate as long as I gave him a few days advanced notice. I called him on a Wednesday for dinner on a Sunday night, and voila! -- the egg rolls were made special for me.

Everything, overall, was excellent. The specially ordered and prepared vegetarian spring rolls were delicious, perfectly fried, without the slightest hint of excess grease. They were so good, I asked Miguel if he had, by any chance, prepared more than one order (he hadn't, but told me to call in advance anytime I wanted him to prepare them). I then ordered the kung pao tofu and to give them the extra business on this night (and to thank them for their generous accommdations) I also ordered fried rice (normally, I'd go without rice).

The rice was perfect: fluffy, without the slightest tinge of oil, packed full of vegetables. Delicious. The kung pao was, perhaps, saucier than what I'm typically accustomed to, but it was still flavorful with a wider assortment of vegetables than the dish normally allows. I liked it alot. My only hesitation -- and it's a slight one -- is that the kung pao could have been spicier. While I love spicy food, I'll take flavor over spice any day.

I was at Peking in the off-season. In fact, at the time I was there -- on a Sunday night after 10p -- I was the only patron in the restaurant. The service was fantastic. Other people on this forum have questioned the service in the past, and all I can say is that the kitchen is small and it is only Miguel and one assistant who prepare all of the meals. If people are in a large party, be patient. I imagine it would be hard to time five or so meals simultaneously given their set-up. That said, I don't know. All I know is that Miguel went far out of his way to accommodate my preferences by specially making items for me that are not on the menu and adapting other recipes to my vegetarian preferences. While I would be appreciative of that good-will in itself, the food stands on its own. I would unhesitatingly return for very good Chinese food prepared with skill, excellence, and nuance.

Recommended.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Best Chinese in PV! Complimentary sushi roll.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Enjoy your complimentary crab roll while you wait on your order. The portions are large enough to share. We didn't order the Peking Duck, but the table next to us did, and I wished we had now. This IS Mexico, but the chef is Chinese. The kids ordered teriyaki chicken, we had kung pow(not poa), and a shrimp dish. Yes, please remind the waiter to bring the steamed rice with your meal and then remind them again.

• Visited April 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great asian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We happened upon this restaurant when we were out one evening looking for something different. I had read some reviews recommending Peking, so we decided to give it a try. We enjoyed good food and service. The portions are good and the food very fresh. The waiter was very attentive. We will return if we are in the area again.

• Visited February 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“Maybe it was an off night”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

We went to this restaurant looking forward to great meals from all the reviews I have read. Unfortunately, we started off with bad service. Had to ask the server to bring us something to drink rather than him asking us. Then he forgot to bring the drinks and we had to ask again. My partner is Mexican so there is no language problem.

We ordered lemon chicken and Kung Pow chicken. The kung pow was good but overly spicy. The lemon chicken had a chemical taste that made it hard to eat. I ate the chicken that didn't have sauce on it and it was fine. My partner agreed that the taste was chemical. Had to ask twice for more rice because the server kept forgetting to bring it. It was not crowded in the restaurant - only two other tables. We also had to ask twice for the check.

All in all, it wasn't a great place to eat for us. I couldn't wait to get out of the place.

• Visited February 2012