“Time share based hotel with a character of its own” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Mazatlan

Save Saved
You added The Inn at Mazatlan to your Saves list
The Inn at Mazatlan
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6291 Avenida Camaron Sabalo | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Lake Forest
“Time share based hotel with a character of its own”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

With respect to timeshares and "talking" beach destinations, there are lots of beautiful resorts around the world. Some are breathtakingly spectacular with turquois waters, tropical gardens and exotic birds and wildlife. Some are in the midst of cultural, dining, and shopper's paradise and, some are just hotels stuck off somewhere on a piece of sand, the developer bought cheaply.

The Inn at Mazatlan doesn't have the exotic wildlife and turquois tropical waters, but it has what most timeshares don't have; flavor (or "sabor" in Spanish). The hotel is situated in the Zona Dorada (Gold Zone), which is about 4 miles north of "old Mazatlan" and, it's in the middle of where all the action is... the best shopping, the best restaurants, and most beach activities.

The hotel district started to grow north along a 10 mile stretch of white sandy beach and The Hotel Cantamar was purchased (some 35 years ago), renovated, and stands today as The Inn at Mazatlan. Renovations are literally on-going all the time.

The hotel is a diamond in the rough. The gardens in the courtyard are pristine. Two crystal clear swimming pools and a gourmet restaurant and bar, El Papagayo, faces the beach, between the palapas and decks around the pools. El Papagayo serves breakfast, lunch and dinner at very reasonable prices and, the food and presentation are top notch.

The hotel, facilities, lobby, rooms and grounds are immaculate, but what sets the Inn at Mazatlan apart from most other hotels, is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.

We've been using 2 weeks (or more) of our timeshare(s) every year for 35 years and, not once have we ever had a bad experience. The staff, including Manuel, Rafael (bellhops), Eduardo (manager), Kathia and Monica (reception), Dago (concierge), Theresa (director of timeshares management) and, Victoria (timeshare sales) literally go out of their way to accommodate any need the guests have.

We've stayed at many other resorts around Mexico and the Caribbean, including Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Ixtapa, Manzanillo, Acapulco, Huatulco, Martinique, St. Maarten, St. Bart's, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, U.S. and British Virgins, AND the Inn at Mazatlan stands out ahead of all of any of the "beautiful" places in terms of cleanliness, moderate prices, and especially... the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.

It isn't the most expensive luxurious hotel in Mazatlan, but we can do without the snobbiness at those anyway. Your stay at the Inn at Mazatlan will not disappoint you!

Room Tip: Suites in the north wing are to die for and overlook the gardens, pools and beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director General at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear longtime timeshare owner

Reading such a nice review of The Inn on Trip Advisor opens a great opportunity to many readers worldwide to capture the scent of our property, since you just described it perfectly; the staff is always willing to deliver the warmest possible service to every visitor and to continue the tradition on creating a special place to spend some of the best moments for you and your beloved ones. Our resort welcome you anytime of the year to enjoy some of the most beautiful sunsets in the Pacific ocean and to let yourself be pampered by the great Mexican cuisine our Chef creates passionately every day for you. I will share your comments with our team to put a smile on their faces wishing you already a quick return to your home away from home The Inn at Mazatlan.

320 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Feels like family! Haven.t been down for 6 years but some staff remembered us. Special thx to Rafael and his boys....job well done! Any problems solved fairly quickly. B**** at front desk had a problem with me, it seems, waited 1 1/2 hours for an empty room they had offered to move us in the day before or by 8 am. She wouldn't give me reservations or coupons on Dago's day off.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director General at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear djc155

We are happy to hear you came back home after being away a few years, our loyal staff always have a smile to share with you and anticipate to your requirements, that is certainly an asset to be proud of, however I am sorry you had an incident with your room move, actually the standard before reallocation another unit is to verify the physical status by maintenance, housekeeping and front desk in order to guarantee it would be perfect, and apparently this was not the case, so I will put hands on that to prevent it happens again to another guest; regarding coupons or any other activity it is always handled by the concierge.

City of Durango, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

With only one day before our reservations, we found this hotel. What a great stay, and a lucky find. All the other hotels we completely booked, except for The Inn at Mazatlan. Located in the Zona Dorada, close to nice restaurants, shopping, beach and just about everything else. The hotel is one of the older hotels, but the service and upkeep of the hotel are beyond par. Check in was a breeze, with a room overlooking the beach and pool area. The restaurant is excellent. Great service, great food, great time. And the beach, very clean, very warm, very safe, and lots of fun. I think we will be back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director General at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Don Roberto 8021

Your review of the Inn give us a reason to feel we are on the right path to satisfy our guests needs and meet their expectations, our resort is one of the pioneers on the hotel industry in Mazatlan and that is tradition in hospitality we must continue nowadays. Offering the best possible attention to every visitor in our lovely destination is our main goal, we will share your kind comments with our team and please accept an invitation to come back anytime to Paradise.

Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The people at The Inn are superb. Maria, Eduardo, All of the Bell Men, Waiters and Housekeeping. I've never met a friendlier bunch.We have been going down for 25 yrs. and haven't had a bad experience, ever. The venue is to die for. We have stayed in all of their buildings over the years and watched the tower being built, I'd have to say our favorite room is 4109.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director General at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Wesley D

Thank you for expressing such beautiful comments of your recent stay at the Inn, on behalf of our entire team let us be the ones to thank you for your loyalty and kindness over all this time to our resort; your Mexican family(Maria, Eduardo, etc) wish you a nice return and we hope to see you again next year.

Carbondale, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I had a great two weeks at the Inn at Mazatlan. Service was great on all levels from Reservations, Front Desk, Bell Staff, Food and Beverage. One of the best views of the ocean from nearly all of the rooms/suites. I have been going to the Inn for the past 15 years and hope to continue this trip another 15 years. Oh, and the weather was perfect, mid-80's daily.

Room Tip: The Tower rooms have great ocean views but a little street noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear TravelAboutSue

Definitely this a perfect time of the year to enjoy the beauty of Mazatlan at the Inn, our friendly staff takes a real passion on pampering guest and owners every year, we feel honored to receive your comments and help us do things better for you. Thank you again for taking the opportunity to share your review on Trip Advisor.

Niceville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I would like to start by saying I choose The Inn at Mazatlan based on ALL the positive reviews on tripadvisor. With that said here is my opinion of the Hotel. My family and I arrived at the Inn at around 1:30pm, yes I know check in isn't until 4:00pm. That I guess was our first mistake but what do you do when your flight arrives at noon. When I approached the front desk the young lady (Kathia) looked at me like I was lost? No welcome or hello, none of the friendly comments you would expect from a nice hotel? She looked up our reservation and said our room was not ready that it would be 30 minutes. So we left our bags with the doorman and went out to the restaurant for a late lunch. I have to admit the food at the restaurant was great and the atmosphere very relaxing. At 3:00 we decided to go back to the front desk for our room. Again, it will be 30 minutes until it is ready so we waited in the lobby area. At exactly 4:00pm the doorman notified us room was ready. Bottom line here is "Don't arrive a minute before check in".

We made reservations for a Jr. Suite and found it to be pretty accurately described (room T-1103). It was a larger room with the typical beach style furnishings and a small kitchen area. The best part of the room was by far the beautiful view. The only down side was the bathroom was not very clean. There was mold/mildew all along the ceiling of the shower but I guess that is common in the area.

The things we liked best here was the beautiful view, beautiful grounds and goodt food at the restaurant. The pools were great too, warm and clean.

The things we didn't like! The attitude of some of the staff. I hope they realize people/guests do have a choice of were they spend their money. The internet! What top tier hotel makes you pay for the internet now days? I did purchase the internet and found that is was a waste of money. It is very slow and freezes frequently. But my favorite was the beach towels. The beach towels cannot be used on the beach! Security will come for them if you try! So take your own beach towel if you want to sit on a towel at the beach.

Note on the beach: The water is great but if you stay on the beach be prepared for the swarm of beach vendors! Be prepared to tell each on No at least a dozen times each time you hit the beach.

Overall I enjoyed my stay in Mazatlan but I think I will definitely try another hotel when I return. I'm not sure if it was timing or time share that makes the difference?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director General at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Landontf

Your honesty is very much appreciated when it comes to personal attention, this a field that we are constantly working on, I am sorry to hear that the first impression of the Inn was not the best one for you, definitely there is always room for improvement, however the staff friendliness must be constant at any time; room check in before 4pm is sometimes quite complicated due to the amount of work of certain days, however the housekeeping staff always do their best to have a room ready earlier than the established time; although the weather in Mazatlan does not help much to reduce it we will reinforce the cleaning system to prevent any sight of mold. It is always helpful to know when something is not working properly as you deserve for the money you are paying, so I wonder if you ever mentioned to anyone of the front desk staff about the internet malfunction in order to fix it right away and allow you to enjoy the service properly. The beach area is federal jurisdiction so the Inn has no power over the beach vendors but just ask them not to bother you.
We certainly feel grateful with you for the opportunity you gave us to serve and hopefully in some other time you might consider staying with in the near future.

Kennewick, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

When we arrived at The Inn at Mazatlan, we were welcomed by the very best group of doormen I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know. Their first words were "Welcome Home". They truly made us feel at home. They were very attentive in every detail from arranging for a taxi to delivering our luggage to making sure we had everything we needed to navigate the city. This resort is lush and beautiful. The restaurant food is delicious, (the chicken tortilla soup, nachos and limonada is the best.) the waiters are terrific, the pool and poolside are relaxing and refreshing. The location is beachfront so there is easy access to the ocean and many activities. It is also directly across the street from several restaurants, shopping, Mary's cafe (she has the best french fries I've ever tasted) and ice cream shop, a pharmacy and Rico's coffee shop and bakery. Very convenient location! The staff is very friendly and helpful. I appreciated some extra help from the business center attendant--she made sure my internet connection was good and worked well. Fidel did a fantastic job on recreation activities. I especially enjoyed his aqua aerobics class each morning--great start to the day! Our kids loved bingo night as well as water volleyball. The waiter, Ramon, who sings and plays the guitar puts on a great concert; don't miss it. Our room was like home away from home and our housekeeper, Juanita, in the Inca tower, 5th floor, kept our room impeccably clean as well as being very thoughtful, cheerful and kind. Thank you Inn at Mazatlan and staff for a very enjoyable stay! We will be back again and again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Inca Tower and 5 of our adult children stayed in the Azteca Tower. The Inca tower...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director General at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear LisafromMesa

It is truly a fest to my eyes reading such a beautiful review from your stay in February at The Inn, I have shared your raving comments with my team who are very motivated to hear that our attention to detail and faultless service provided a perfect stay for you and your beloved ones.
We would be delighted to have you back ‘home’ for another great vacation at The Inn at Mazatlan.

Warmest regards

Managing Director

Been to The Inn at Mazatlan? Share your experiences!