“Mazatlan, The Pearl of the Pacific” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Mazatlan

You added The Inn at Mazatlan to your Saves list
The Inn at Mazatlan
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6291 Avenida Camaron Sabalo | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Calgary
“Mazatlan, The Pearl of the Pacific”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I have been going to Mazatlan for years and I can't say enough about the city, the people, the beaches ... everything. I was there for two weeks in November and stayed at the Inn at Mazatlan which is on one of the very best beaches ... in the "Golden Zone" looking out to the Pacific Ocean and the three islands, Wolf, Deer and Bird Island and there is always an abundance of activity. The beach is clean and gentles out so you (and the children) can walk a long distance out, yet still enjoy jumping in or diving under the waves. The sunsets are truly some of the loveliest I have ever seen, they never disappoint. The Inn at Mazatlan is a family-owned resort that has just been handed down to the owner's children to manage and operate. Teresa McFalland is the owner's "right hand person" on site and a lovely, efficient lady she is. I always enjoy a short visit with her and even though she seems to have her hand on anything and everything, she always takes time for a visit and is such a gracious, pleasant lady. The Inn is always upgraded and kept in immaculate condition and this past year the "new managers" added new Serta bedding and 32" LCD TV's. You really feel you are "coming home" as you enter the Inn where the staff are all so pleasant and welcoming. Andrea gave me her usual big hug, expressing how glad she was to see me. The front desk check-in is efficient and convenient. Dago at the Concierge desk was very helpful in arranging a particular tour I was interested in. And what can I say about the camaristas (the maids) ...Norma took care of my room this year. My Spanish is minimal, and some of the housekeeping staff speaking little English, but communication was never a problem. I could look down from my one-bedroom /two bathroom unit (this time on the 8th flr.) and see the lovely landscaped courtyard, two pools and beyond, just steps away, the beach and the ocean. The Inn at Mazatlan has studios, junior suites, one and two bedroom units and they all are very spacious, nicely furnished and all the amenities you could ask for. The 15th running of the Mazatlan Marathon took place while I was there and they ran right in front of the Inn at Mazatlan. Along with many others, I found myself on the street applauding and calling out "Vamos Amigo" "animar" and it was very exciting. The Inn at Mazatlan is so convieniently located that if you want to leave the beach for the day, or a few hours, for 10 pesos you can get the bus that takes you all along the malecon and right down to Old Mazatlan and the revitalized Historic Centre. I could say so much more about Mazatlan, the pleasant, friendly, kind people and also about the Inn at Mazatlan .... but you should go and see for yourself and you too would be writing a glowing review for a beautiful, friendly, welcoming resort that you don't really want to leave. But a good-bye hug from Andrea and I had to head to the airport and begin planning my trip to come back next year!

Room Tip: I personally like a room in the "tower" and above the 7th floor for the best view. Also...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director General at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear dfroese:

It is such a pleasure to hear so many nice things about Mazatlán and how beautifully you described your previous visit at the Inn; we are in the constant process of improving our facilities & equipment gradually to deliver a more efficient product to our guests & owners, our management & operational team is always searching for ways to upgrade the guest experience & satisfaction. Teresita, Dago,Norma, Andrea & the rest of our colleagues truly appreciate your kind recognition to their efforts, I will share that with all of them. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to serve you again on your next stay at the Inn.

Best regards.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I was here for an extended business trip. From the get-go, my stay was top notch. Laura set up my stay through a business contact and everything was ready upon my arrival. Monica ensured everything was up to snuff and went out of her way to make my stay perfect. Rafael, who had greeted me at the door, led me to my room and introduced me to everything I needed to know. Dago, the concierge, approached me in the lobby later in the day, and although I never required his assistance, I would not have hesitated to ask. I had breakfast at Papagayo every morning and, while the food was good, the service was what really made it worthwhile. They got used to seeing me down there every day and always greeted me like a friend. Ignacio, Pedro, Edgar, and Israel were my usual waiters and they went out of their way to make my mornings there great. And while I never met the maids, my room was always in tip-top shape upon arriving every afternoon.

The views are great, the rooms, while not the most modern, are super clean and well-maintained. The kitchenette in the Junior Suites are sufficient for a stay and include plates, glasses, silverware, etc. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to visit the wonderful city of Mazatlan. I've been to a few cities in Mexico but Mazatlan, by far, has the warmest, sincerest people. I don't think I would have considered coming to Mazatlan if work hadn't brought me here. Boy, what a mistake that would have been. If you have the opportunity, I would certainly consider the Inn at Mazatlan.

Room Tip: Rooms on a higher level have great views. I was on a lower floor and the views were nice, but I had...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director General at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Jay R

Knowing stories like yours it gives to our jobs a totally different meaning, since the team work creates a nice balance on the service process; each one of our staff members takes a great pride on their role and we all certainly appreciate that you took the time to nicely describe your recent visit at the Inn; Laura, Mónica, Rafael, Dago, Ignacio, Pedro, Edgar and all the ones that collaborated to deliver a nice stay experience will be notified of this gentile recognition.
Our resort is one of Mazatlan’s pioneers in the hotel business and we have a huge responsibility to have consistency with all our loyal guests & owners; it will be a great pleasure to us hosting you again in the near future.
Wishing you a merry Christmas & a happy new year.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

On the first week of November me my wife and my brother and his wife showed up at the Inn at Mazatlan not knowing what to expect,we were just looking for a break from the every day grind.From the moment our van dropped us of Rafael was there to meet us at the front door and was very profesionel,actually hes awesome.We also meet Diego the concierge who is awesome also.

The Rooms are really nice the beds are very comfortable and the AC is very cold,of corse we were on vacation so we didnt spend much time in the rooms.the grounds of the Inn are very nice and manicured,the pool is very nice and clean and they always made sure that you had something cold to drink it was a great break..thank you to the staff you people did a great we cant wait till we go back next year.thank you very much

Room Tip: stay up high so you can get a great view of the Ocean
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director General at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Brian K

We are thrilled to know that our friendly staff did accomplish to provide a great vacation experience to you & your loved ones, as you mention Rafael our bellboy, Dago our Concierge, and the rest of our team shares the passion to create a nice atmosphere for all our guests. The Inn is going through a constant renovation of services & facilities to satisfy the guests expectations & encourage the preference for our beautiful resort.
Thank you for staying with us & we look forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Mazatlán.

Best regards.

El Dorado, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We spent 3 weeks at the Inn in November of 2013 as we do each year. As owners we have come to expect certain things from the inn and see some of them missing. First the things that we really liked this year. The front door staff, especially Manual, Alphonso, and Rafael, are always a pleasure to interact with. The front desk staff and Maria do their best to accommodate room preferences and special needs. New Flat screen TVs in each room are nice improvements this year. The functioning of the TV cable service was marginal with the upper channels (31, 32,33,34) loosing sound and signal all during the 3 week stay. Complaints to the desk did not seem to get that service fixed. Our dealings with Sergio , asst. manager over a billing problem were handled professionally and promptly. The problems stemmed from change in how the Inn and Bancomer handled debit cards presented at check-in.
New furniture in the rooms has solved the problems with uncomfortable couches. One area that needs new ideas or a new outlook is the restaurant services. While the wait staff is very service oriented they seem to be under staffed at times. It seems that the bottom line is what drives decisions in the restaurant. The breakfast buffet is not there unless the manager has a group of students in for a conference. The buffet is a loss leader that draws extra guests in who also order off the menu. We and many others have decided that if we have to order off the menu we can go across the street and get the same food for less. This has been a problem since the new food and beverage manager took over last year. Happy hours have been shortened, daily specials (such as BBQ Chicken night or T Bone night) are no more and the only specials are on bar drinks. It is easy to see that customer levels are down in the evening. The evening special meals were fairly well attended in the past.
Internet service is way overpriced for the service provided. Price for a daily WiFi service is normally $4.95 when the hotel even charges in the US. At the Inn this year the service was priced at $9 a day with no discount for weekly subscription. The level of service is still marginal with the service being reset several times each day. New wiring for WiFi antennas was added but the location is not conducive to good connection unless you place your computer in the bedroom.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director General at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear 1287Billk:

I read with detailed attention all your comments & suggestions which are deeply appreciated, the staff recognition to all our loyal guests & owners is one of our main service values which is always delivered with passion from their hearts; the t.v. signal reception is one of our goals to improve and we are currently working on it as well as some other fields that are constantly being updated & changed to get better results in our guest perception; Restaurant has its own particular challenges, but it doesn’t mean that results won’t show in everyone’s perception, the buffet over the weekends gets to be quite busy and in order to keep it on the weekdays the level of occupancy needs to be high all the time otherwise you always have the option a la carte; every night there is at least two daily specials on our dinner menu for your convenient & meals such as BBQ, Chicken, etc are being considered to appear on the daily specials as well as we already have a separate bar menu.
Recently the WiFi connection was totally updated in the hotel to satisfy the internet access demand through an external company providing the service to us, previous to launching the service pricing, a market research took place in order to establish it; there is a daily fee $9.00 & a weekly fee $55.00.
Once again thank you very much for taking the time to express your opinion & help us raise the ball to do things better everytime; I will share your kind words with our staff.

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We spent 8 nights at this hotel in a room facing the pool on the second floor in the wing right off the lobby to the left, The room was bright, very clean, and appeared to have undergone some renovating, new beds for sure. A/C kept the room nice and cool, and there was a good sized refrigerator and a small coffee maker. Balcony was large with two chairs and a table. Large screen tv. Both the bathroom and the bedroom had ceiling fans. These rooms do not have a safe, but you can get a box at the front desk, no charge. There is also no hair dryer in the room, but I believe you can borrow one. Unfortunately, the back of our room faced the back of the lobby, and there was a loud fan that ran 24/7. At night it was a steady loud hum, we had to crank the bathroom window shut, and pile things agains the crack at the bottom of the door to deaden the noise for sleeping. Pool area had plenty of loungers (which the 6 a.m. people ran out to reserve the best locations every day). Pool was warm. Fluffy pool towels, but the loungers needed new covers, they sagged. We only ate breakfast at the Papagayo, and the food was very good, large menu to choose from, or you could have the buffet on the weekend. Staff were very attentive. The hotel has a drink special every day, and they also have free popcorn some days, and other nice touches. We were there on Thanksgiving, there was a special dinner, and fireworks, I left with the impression that they really cared about their guests, we had a real good time there. The only real complaint - the timeshare ladies were, as always, annoying and persistent. I would return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SunnyDebbie

We are very pleased to hear such an interesting feedback of your recent stay at The Inn, we know that there is always room for improvement and the best ideas always come from our loyal guest & colleagues , unfortunately I was not informed on time about the noise issue in order to take immediate action, however we detected the problem and it has been solved to prevent anyone else to go through the same situation; we will continue to make things happen to satisfy our guest needs. The timeshare staff will find better ways to do their job without bothering the guest. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts & we look forward to have you back on your next vacation.

British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We have had the best experiences at the inn and are lucky to have family that owns a timeshare that we can use. The updated tvs and new beds are awesome, the rooms clean and comfortable. Our favorite part of vacationing here is the wonderful staff. They greet you with big smiles and are always helpful. Thanks for being so amazing with our young kids!!!! We hope to be back soon :)

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director General at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Horserider

It becomes such a great motivation to all our staff members to be recognized by guests & owners for all the efforts being done to cover your service expectations & still create the magic to have you coming back time after time to our resort; the Inn team deliver their hearts & passion every working day; thank you for spending some of your valuable time to share your memories with us. We look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you on your next trip to Mazatlán.

Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We recently spent a wonderful 3 weeks at our "home away from home"& have done so for almost 20 years, often twice a year.
How fortunate we are to have such a friendly & cooperative staff of doormen, waiters,housekeepers,maintenance men & gardeners, many of whom we have known for our 20 years.In particular we'd like to mention our beautiful Teresa, she of the infectious laugh& friend to all,our efficient & personable food & beverage manager Yaid, & our office manager, the always helpful Maria.
There are always things one could criticize at any resort, but The Inn attempts to address most problems as soon as possible. We highly recommend this resort.
Bob & Joan

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
THEINNATMAZATLAN, Director de Recepción at The Inn at Mazatlan, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Bob & Joan

I must agree with you by referring to the Inn as your home away from home, specially if you have made this a traditional journey to visit your family (our friendly staff), that would do their best to make you feel welcome year after year. I am sure that Teresa, María, Yaid, and the rest of our team thank you for recognizing their efforts & will continue doing it for all our dear guests & owners; please be sure that I will pass your beautiful message to all our team members.

Managing Director

Been to The Inn at Mazatlan? Share your experiences!