“Ignore any negative reviews, this resort is great for it's age!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Garden Mazatlan

You added Sea Garden Mazatlan to your Saves list
Sea Garden Mazatlan
Calz. Sabalo Cerritos S/N | Zona Hotelera Norte, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico (Formerly Mayan Sea Garden Mazatlan)   |
Ranked #31 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Vancouver, BC
“Ignore any negative reviews, this resort is great for it's age!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

Firstly, The Mayan Sea Garden consists of 4 older buildings(small rooms) and a Mayan Regency building (larger more luxurious rooms). There are future plans for two more buildings and possibly the tearing down of the oldest building, I think.

My wife and I stayed at the Sea Garden Mazatlan for 2 weeks in Feb 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room was older and small, but once we re-arranged furniture and settled in, it was really good.

We were lucky as Carnaval ( http://www.carnavalmazatlan.net/) happened during our stay. The parade was exciting and it was a big celebration for Mazatlan. People came to town from all over Mexico.
The Staff were always very helpful and the rooms were in pretty good shape considering it is an older resort. Everything worked and if it didn't, they fixed it right away. Our room was in one of the older buildings and had 2 bedrooms and a kitchenette. We had a partial ocean view from the balcony which was good and an awesome ocean view from our room entrance. The bathroom was small but had a huge shower. The sink was separate from the toilet and shower room. The Master had a King size bed and the 2nd bedroom had two singles. We used it as a changing room.
We mostly cooked breakfast or just had cereal and fruit each day and if we stayed at the resort (pool day), we made lunch in our room too. Food was so reasonable at MEGA. We love to try different cuisine, so we did eat out a lot in town or at a lovely quiet restaurant near Cerritos which we walked to on the beach. It was great to watch dolphins and sunsets from here.
We also would sometimes plan a stop at Mega on our way back from a sightseeing trip to town to pick up shrimp for dinner (124.90 Pesos a kilo). Awesome!!! I also became a master at making beef quesadillas.

I can't comment much on the restaurants at the Sea Garden (we usually ate while we were out or in our room) except that they were always busy breakfast, lunch and dinner. We did have a drink at the pool once and had lunch on our last day while waiting for King David to take us to the Airport (return trip 290.00 pesos for 2). It was a sad day because we were leaving, but the awesome burger we had by the pool, watching the waiters feed the resident Iguana some canteloupe, eased the pain a bit. All prices I saw on the room service menu, pool snack bar and restaurant menu seemed reasonable to me even with the mandatory 15% tip added. Our lunch was around 250.00 pesos and was very good.
The swimming pools were all great. The two pools we frequented were near our building and were definitely heated. The main pool was always crowded and lot's of people were swimming so I assume it was heated too. I did dip my foot in that pool one day on my way to the beach and it felt warm. The pools, gardens, building hallways and all guest areas were always very clean and tidy.

If you go, you have to check out the model suites for their next addition to the Sea Garden. They are incredible! We didn't take the sales presentation which was offered at check in and twice during our stay, but we did wander through these suites on our own. They are at the end of the main pool near the sales centre.

The Resort is a good distance from the Golden Zone (Zona Dorada) and downtown, but is a quiet retreat if you want one. I would recommend this resort to anyone interested in R & R. There are some activities put on by the Resort if you are interested.
Below are some tips we learned while we were there:

Taxi's & other Transport:

After you book, Email the Sea Garden concierge from their Website and tell them when you are arriving, they wil most likely offer to pick you up at the airport. They use King David Transportation which is excellent. Our plane was delayed 2 1/2 hours and they were there waiting for us!!! Awesome tour company (We did the Tequila Factory tour), I would recomend them for any tours they offer.

Be sure to get a list of Taxi rates when you check in.

Taxi rates are fixed, we were told. Pulmonia (open air Volkswagen "Thing") rates are sometimes negotiable depending on the time of day and where you are going (IE: If the chance of getting a fare back is good, your ride will be cheaper). Rule of thumb they are usually cheaper than a cab but, if you think it's too much, try another Pulmonia to get a comparison or just don't be so cheap, you are on vacation. Most Pulmonias have loud stereos and you can request what you want to hear if they have it. Taking a Pulmonia at night can be a chilling experience, hence the translation: Pulmonia = Pnemonia.

If you are comfortable with the local buses, use them. They stop right out front and charge 5.50 (pesos) - 8.00 (pesos). The 8.00 peso bus is air conditioned. Buses run back and forth about every 5 minutes up until 9:00 -10:00 pm or so. I don't know how early they start.

Basics for buses:

Try to find a bus stop if you can, but the bus will stop anywhere it's safe to do so, just wave your hand. Likewise at the bus stop, wave your hand if it is the bus you want, if not step back from the curb.

Sabalo Centro - This bus goes all the way downtown to the market and a little further.
Cerritos / Juarez - This bus goes to Valentino's just before the start of the Sea Wall (Malecon) and then turns left to Mega, Sam's Club and The Gran PLaza Mall. We would catch this one to Mega, shop and then cross the street to catch it back to The Sea Garden (Cerritos). Sometimes we would walk to MacDonald's as there is a bus stop there and it is safer for the bus to stop. If you buy lot's of groceries, take a Pulmonia or cab back (S/B about 80.00 pesos), the bell boy will carry all your groceries to your room. We tipped him for this service.
There are lots of other buses you will see after Mega, we didn't use any of these, but I imagine they will take you almost anywhere in Mazatlan. One even goes all the way to the airport.

Go here for a pretty good list of bus routes: http://www.mazinfo.com/visitors/busroute1.html

*Any questions, please email me and I will try to answer them. Any information I have given is our experience and always subject to change (That's the beauty of going to Mexico, it's always a learning experience.)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Marshalltown, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

Words can't begin to describe how pleased we were with the Mayan Sea Garden, Mazatlan. We are senior citizens, plus my husband was just two weeks into recovery
from a broken ankle and unable to bear any weight on that leg. The staff was so friendly and helpful. They provided us with a wheelchair for our entire stay, and went out of their way to be considerate of us. Our unit was located on the 11th floor, with a balcony over-
looking the beautiful main pool area and the ocean. The unit itself was very clean and quite adequate for our purposes. It had a walk-in shower, which was a godsend for my husband. We used the "second" bedroom as a dressing room. It would only be adequate for children if used as a bedroom.

We found the restaurant, room service, and snack bar by the main pool to be excellent,
and very reasonably priced. Overall, we had a wonderful vacation under difficult circumstances, thanks to the considerate staff.

Joanne Claypool
Marshalltown, Iowa

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Red Deer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

This was our fourth trip to the Mayan Sea Garden in Mazatlan. After not being there for several years, we expected quite a few changes, but other than the new Mayan Palace building everything was pretty much the same. The front desk staff were very good as usual. As owners we were eligible for a 2 bedroom suite, but since there was only 2 of us they offered us a 1 bedroom suite with 25% all food and drink charges for the week. We took them up on the offer after checking out both rooms. Our room was very dated, but clean and met all our needs. Bed was very hard as we've come to expect from Mexican resorts. The advantage of the smaller room was that it was a very short walk to the pool .
Resort grounds are beautiful and very well kept. We spent most days laying on the lounge chairs by the pool. (Warning, you have to get your towel out fairly early i.e. before 9am to get the best spots.) The water is pretty cold in the main pool, but it feels good after laying in the sun for awhile. Also, there are lots of iguanas to watch by the pool for entertainment if you get bored!
Food by the pool was pretty decent. My husband really enjoyed the shrimp tacos, although the portion size was fairly small. I stuck to the clubhouse or chicken nuggets, both which were good. (The drinks by the pool were very expensive, but quite good. The buckets of beer were the best deal.) The waiters by the pool were very good. One thing to mention as well is that there is a 15% gratuity added automatically, which I wasn't a big fan of. The service was always good and I probably would have given that much anyway, but it is still nice to have the choice.
The store at the hotel was good to pick up a few beer or snacks for your room. They had fresh baking in there every morning that we didn't try, but looked really good. We ate our dinners at the hotel a couple of nights and it was pretty good as well. The rest of the nights we at off site, our best meal was at Panchos in the Gold zone. It's the only place I have ever had to wait for a table at Mazatlan and can see why. My other favorite meal was the Dominos pizza we had delivered. It tasted great after a few days of Mexican food.
Overall, the resort is still great. I personally enjoy being a bit further away from the action of the Golden Zone, but if you are looking to do lots of clubbing or shopping it may not be the best choice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

We were so hesitant to book because of the previous reviews we had read - which proved to be a bunch of bunk! We could not have asked for a better resort to stay at during our vacation! It is not a 5 star hotel - no on-site spa, no egyptian cotton towels and sheets. But rooms were fairly modern, extremely clean, and everything was in good working order. We stayed in a room that was furnished with a small kitchenette, which made our stay even more enjoyable, as we were able to pick up items from the grocery store to have on hand. The resort grounds were meticulously cleaned...quite literally, if there was a speck of litter on the floor, it was picked up within minutes! And the staff were some of the friendliest, helpful people I have met anywhere in the world. Everything you need is on site (i.e: gift shop, beach, restaurant, bar, gym, grocery store), as this resort is settled slightly out of the main tourist part of Mazatlan (which we were grateful for!) There are lots of daily activities for everyone (arts & crafts, beach volleyball, karaoke, spanish lessons, towel folding, ping pong tournaments, etc) The one bummer was the beautiful pools are not really heated, but they are not unbearably cold, either. Also, the food and drinks are slightly more expensive than if you were to purchase them elsewhere, but that's to be expected of ANY resort., anywhere! The beach has a lot of beach vendors selling goods, which I kind of enjoyed, but it was disappointing to see how rude most of the tourists are to them...a simple "No, Thank You" works just fine. I was on vacation with my dad, and we were so pleased with our stay, we had a hard time leaving! I will definitely go back. I told most of the staff I would see them next year, but I think it will be sooner than that!

• Stayed February 2009
Traverse City, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

I stayed at the Mayan Sea Garden with my daughter and had a fabulous time. The beach was wonderful and I enjoyed the beach vendors, although they seem annoying to the old people, youhave to remember this is there country and they have to make a living also, a simple " No Gracias" works tremendously. The staff at the Mayan were very friendly and helpful. The Sabalo Centro bus will take you to the heart of Mazatlan and back 8 pesos one way, eat at Gus & Gus in the gold zone for a great dinner. I will return to Mazatlan next year and stay at the Mayan Sea Garden again...Gracias Mayan Sea Garden, until we meet again Amigos !!!!

• Stayed February 2009
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

I enjoyed my stay at the Mayan Sea Garden a lot. The place is clean, including the pool area and the beach. I liked that it is out of the main tourist zone and that the beach is relatively isolated, without a lot of vendors (unlike at the El Cid, where the beach is packed with people and vendors). Great beach for long walks. The staff was wonderful and the condo very well decorated. I would again choose to stay in the main tower because it's close to everything. And, make sure to ask for an ocean view. The sunsets are gorgeous. There may be a downside for some people (although for me, it wasn't an issue) in that it's a quiet place with an older clientele. There's not a party atmosphere and not a lot of choices for bar hopping and dining in the local area. But there's a bus that stops by frequently and taxis that can take you to restaurants and bars about 15- to 20 minutes away.

Stayed January 2009
woodbine, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I was apprehensive after reading several reviews about the Mayan Sea Garden. However, I must say that the resort really is quite nice. The biggest complaint would be the high pressure sales pitch you get if you agree to take the "tour". It only lasts two hours and then it's over and you do get some lucrative discounts for your trouble.

Otherwise the staff were fabulous. The food in the resaurant is average at best. I would stick to lunch by the pool and dinner in town. The drinks at the pool are STRONG so be careful. (They sneak up on you as the day wears on) We found the staff to be excellent in all departments. They were even able to find an ocean view room for us at the last minute.

The rooms in the older building are a little dated, but the views of the ocean and the sunset are to die for. The hotel is pretty far from the Golden Zone and Central Market, but the buses are easy to figure out and it is very safe. It is nice to have the game room and internet room if you are traveling with teenagers. They mingle and make new friends!

• Liked — proximity to beach
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sea Garden Mazatlan? Share your experiences!