“Too far away from town” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Garden Mazatlan

You added Sea Garden Mazatlan to your Saves list
Sea Garden Mazatlan
Calz. Sabalo Cerritos S/N | Zona Hotelera Norte, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico (Formerly Mayan Sea Garden Mazatlan)   |
Ranked #34 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Portland, Oregon
“Too far away from town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed Apr 6th - 13th with my adult niece and 6y/o nephew. The hotel is older, but it was nice enough. I look at hotels as a place to sleep. I was shocked it didn't have shampoo to offer. (The one time I decide not to bring my own). There wasn't much to do for my nephew however he enjoyed swimming in the pool. While the beach was nice, the surf was too rough to swim in it. Hotel staff would tell you to get out of the water even when wading to get feet wet. There is nothing around the resort. Had to take bus to town to do any shopping. The bus system is very easy to figure out. The hotel staff were nice. Didn't care for the time share presentation as they were way too pushy for me. Staying at El Cid Granada for my 2nd week and already know this will have a great review!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This hotel is older but appears to have undergone some remodeling. A few people at the desk are bilingual which was helpful. Concierge was also very efficient. We loved our room on a higher floor (5th+ gives you a nice view of pool/ocean without a lot of noise). The rooms are actually suites. Our bedroom was very small but had a king bed so that was a good trade. We didn't want to spend a lot of time in the room anyway. The kitchen was very equipped with a small refrigerator, cooktop, coffee maker, blender, dishes and silverware, and a dining table. Our housekeeper came in the afternoon, not morning as we we expected, but she did a fantastic job. The pool was cold and they should definitely heat it in cooler months. The smaller, less popular pool was a bit warmer but none of the extras happen there - bar, activities, etc. The pool area was very pretty and there were activities provided every hour or so. They could do a little better with turnout for that by announcing the activities a few minutes ahead of time. You can't see the beach from most of the rooms except at a distance, (pool area instead) but the property has beach frontage and you can just walk through the pool area and down a sidewalk to the beach. There are plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas there. Get a drink at the pool bar on your way to the beach; they don't come to beach much at all.
We were pressured into a time share experience "only 90 minutes, including breakfast" at our check-in and they don't want to take no for an answer. So we went (thinking 90 minutes, ok) and over two hours later we were still trapped there - they were SO high pressure and kept bringing in higher and higher level pitch persons no matter how many times we said no, who were actually bullies. When we said no, that we were ready to go and besides it had been over two hours, they said they would let us go when THEY were ready. At that point we left anyway but the insane presenter said "If you want your gifts you just TRY to come to me." meaning that if we didn't buy into the timeshare, they wouldn't make good on the free breakfast, free spending money promised, tour, etc. We would NEVER, NEVER buy there because of this experience. We asked around to different people we met in our travels, and not one person said they'd ever buy a timeshare anywhere again.

Room Tip: Pay for your room after you see it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at Sea Garden Mazatlan, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear IslandHopper011 :

Thank you so much for commenting about your stay at Sea Garden. We really thank you for your kind comments about most of our staff as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

All the same, we are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. As one of the most successful companies in the Mexican tourism field, we clearly communicate the terms and conditions associated with accepting an invitation to our sales presentation and everyone - at free will, attends and receives the gifts been offered as we appreciate their visit whether they decide to acquire our products or not.

We do appreciate any feedback being provided to us and it will be shared with the appropriate management areas.

We will be delighted to welcome you back.

Warm regards,
Sea Garden Mazatlán Management.
Olympia, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We're still there as I write this. We like the Sea Garden a lot. It was the only place we could get in this week "Semana Santa" with our RCI trade, but we've been very happy. The grounds are very nicely gardened and well kept. Reports of icy pools must refer to one (smaller, on the north side) that's not heated, but the main one is fine. The room is older but has been nicely updated. Sure, it's smaller than some, but if you're not dancing, it's fine. The kitchen is clean and efficient. We have a beautiful ocean view, small deck. The staff is very friendly. It is too surfy and rocky to swim in the ocean here, but a mile or so walk in either direction will fix that, or you can go to the gold zone, where the beaches are more protected by the barrier islands.

Room Tip: Upper floors will shield you from the loud pool scene. We got our ocean view room with a subtle gift...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Elk Grove, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I visited this resort during the last week of March and I was very impressed. As with other resorts I did some research before visiting and was a little worried based on some of the reviews. From the moment we stepped into the lobby I felt a lot better.

Pros:
-Check-in was easy and smooth. Our bellboy, Miguel, was extremely helpful throughout our stay with recommendations on where to eat and where to visit.
-The grounds of the property were immaculate. Very well maintained and clean.
-Staff was excellent and helpful.
-Beach was clean and very enjoyable. Not many vendors.
-Pool was well maintained.
-Location of the resort is perfect. Away from the busy Golden Zone and a short ride on the pulmonia.
Cons:
-The waiters by the pool could use some help on their customer service. It seems like they only tended to those that sat at the tables and not the people sitting by the pool. It would be smart to go around to everyone to see if they would like drinks. This way the hotel could make some money. I sat and waited for an hour to see if they would come by until I was tired of waiting and had to call them over. But once they helped us out they were very attentive.
-I did not like that we were pressured into a timeshare presentation. We didn't attend but I go to these resorts to relax, not to attend a sales pitch.
-The rooms were pretty small. When we booked we were told that we would have a 2 bedroom unit that sleeps 5. The first bedroom is fine but the second one has a small daybed type of bed which is basically a mat. The king size bed is also very stiff.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at this resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Looking forward to retuning to Sea Garden, Mazatlan this year. I know the rooms are small and dated but I'm not there to stay in my room. It's a comfortable space to return to at the end of the day and have the option of cooking in my room or going out. The rooms are like small apartments with seperate bedroom/s off the living room/kitchen area, so much nicer than just a hotel room. All the staff are courteous, helpful and friendly and many have been there for many years (20+) and remember you when you return. I like the smallness of the resort, easy to get around. The pools are always clean and so is the beach area. Sometimes the ocean is too rough to swim in but it depends on the time of year. Easy access to Mazatlan with a bus stop right out front of the hotel or many cabs waiting to take you. I've stayed at the Grand Mayan Resorts as well and they are beautiful and big and I liked them too, but I love coming back to Sea Garden for the quiet, relaxing, friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Henderson, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My family, seven in our party stayed at the Sea gardens from Nov 17 through Nov 25. The service was great, the food was good and we were happy with the accommodations. My complaint will be in this forum because although we booked through RCI, we were not given a toll free number to contact the resort, nor would they contact the resort to tell them that one of their employees at the reservation desk either used or gave away our credit card numbers. On Dec 12th someone used my credit card number to purchase a bus ticket for $223.00 and on my daughter's card, they purchased numerous items totally $1,000.00 the weekend of Dec . Although the bank replaced our money, I am very angry with RCI for not providing other than an international number to report this crime. We are to spend at least $20.00 for a call to report a crime that one of the resorts they have booked and recommended. This should have been a courtesy call for a member of RCI of over 30 years. Since I will not spend any more money on this resort, I am using this forum to warn travelers that using your credit card at this resort may be taking a chance on identity theft.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Patricia B :
We truly appreciate your taking the time to provide us with your thoughtful feedback of your stay at the Sea Garden. We really thank you for your kind comments about our staff’s service, the food and your accommodations.

We are shocked to learn about your experience during your visit since we are always looking to surpass our clients’ expectations of genuine hospitality and service excellence in a secured ambient. For that reason all our staff has a strict regimen of training and supervision in order to provide the highest level of service our guests expect from us.

Your comments are always welcomed.

Yours sincerely,
Sea Garden Mazatlán Management.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We aren't a picky traveling family ~ as long as there is a pool and a beach we are good! But I have to say we were disappointed with the sea garden. The hotel is very old and dated looking, like out of the 80's. the rooms were small, very peiced together, paint chipping, DIRTY toilet bases. The bathroom was the size of an outhouse. Seriously. They say there are 3 pools. However--one wasn't even functioning. The other dirty. And the one we used had tiles chipping off of it and a terrible gravel/concrete walking area that killed your feet.
You aren't allowed to even get into the ocean. It is a rocky area and the best you can do is let the waves hit your legs.
The hotel is a good 10 minute cab ride to anything remotely interesting to do or eat. You are at the very end of the hotel strip.
I could go on, but I think we get the point, right?
If someone were to ask my opinion--i would say, take your vacation to a better hotel, even if you have to pay a little more for what a vacation should be :)

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Sea Garden Mazatlan? Share your experiences!