“Papantla Flyers Mazatlan” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 48 Activities in Mazatlan
Spokane, Washington
“Papantla Flyers Mazatlan”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

The actual Papantla Flyers show and the performers seem honest and trying to put on a nice show. They are dressed colorfully and dance and climb a tall pole and slide down and play music. There was also a rodeo-type lariat act by a young man who was very good. The amphitheater they have built and the stage are clean and shaded. It looks like their business is mostly for the cruise ship passengers (which we were) and they just bring them in by the busload. One of our problems was the free drinks they offered, which included soft drinks with ice which gave us GI distress for 2 days afterward, so only accept bottled, sealed water there. They do have restrooms though. Also, the amphitheater is inside a shopping area and you are constantly badgered to buy things both inside and outside the arena. In fact, everytime we got off the tour bus in Mazatlan we were surrounded by people trying to sell us junk. Far more than in Cabo San Lucas on the waterfront, which was pretty bad. I cannot recommend this show or the Mazatlan city sites tour because there isn't much to see and they just want you to buy, buy, buy. The people are poor there and are pathetically trying to live off selling tourist stuff. The cruise ship tours also take you to their jewelry store associates and leave you there for long periods of time which is a waste of your vacation. If I went again I would just go lay on the beach instead or do a boat or snorkeling tour. There isn't much to the town except the historic church.

Ventura CA
“Worth Seeing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

My friends & I sat through the entire show in October. It was HOTTER than blazes and were all melting in the humidity. However, this had no apparent effect on the performers as they obviously poured their hearts and souls into their folkloric dancing. They are a proud people and it shows. None of us had ever seen Papantla Flyers before and when you're in a foreign land, why not see something new? The Totonac Indians whose tradition dates back over 1500 years was well worth seeing as part of our tour!

Truman, MN
“Stay away from Stone Island horses...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

In 2004 my husband and I went on the Stone Island tour. We were on horses for the beach ride when a worker came running from behind - - which is a no-no - - spooked my horse and sent the two of us on our own tour of the island. I fell off and broke my pelvis. I was taken to a clinic ---and I can't emphasize enough that you DO NOT GO TO A CLINIC in Mazatlan!!!!! The Sharp Hospital is excellent!

If I save someone from the terror of a clinica, I will be thrilled!!

New York City, New York
“Visit Stone Island beach while in Mazatlan-- great bargain!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

Stone Island is a peninsula located within driving distance from Mazatlan but faster and easier access is by boat ferries operated from the city,. The community of Stone Island is typical of middle and lower class Mexican families. Only Mexican citizens are allowed to purchase there. We arrived by ferry and taxi to a beach-side cafe, and entered the beach through the establishment, one of many placed side-by-side along the shore line. We relaxed in 77 degree sunny weather sitting in chairs and cabanas furnished by the cafe which served a reasonably priced menu [grilled fish a speciality] and full bar. The owners brought out toys for our 15 month old granddaughter to play in the sand. Three hours wading, walking, resting, drinking and eating. Kakai and boat rentals available. The only distraction from a perfect day were the almost constant stream of vendors hoping to make a dollar or two. Information about Stone Island ferries is easily obtained from any Mazatlan hotel.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Not worth the time/money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2005

The Highlights of the city are better seen on your own - take a walking tour or hire a cab to take you to some of the nicer spots -- I'd recommend along the waterfront area. But this tour was more tourist trap than touring.

The worst part was the "theater" they take you to for the Papantla Flyers. After having to wind your way through the shops to get to the theater, you sit in the theater for awhile -- with the performers standing around the stage trying to hawk merchandise. Sitting around the theater, I felt like I was in someone's backyard and waiting for the kids to put on their "show". Very ameteur feeling. We were stuck there for almost an hour and half. We went to see the Flyers -- their two acts lasted a combined 4 or 5 minutes. They were interesting but not worth the time or the money.