“Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Granada Country Club

Save Saved
You added El Cid Granada Country Club to your Saves list
El Cid Granada Country Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Camaron Sabalo S/N | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #12 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Prince Albert, Canada
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

We really enjoyed the Granada. Yes it's retro....but the rooms are large. We had a 2 room suite for us and our boys who are 7 and 12 and it was great!

The pool is awesome. Quiet and relaxing! The Iguana's that visited daily were cool!

The food was good. The service was good. We would definitely come back!

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, April 26, 2010
Dear SaskatchewanFamily

Greetings from Mazatlan.

We are delighted to hear your El Cid Granada experience in Mazatlan was most enjoyable. Every aspect of El Cid Resorts is catered for the fulfillment of our cherished guests.

Hurry back for another wonderful experience.

Mark Covarrubias McKay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
vancouver, bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

We were only there for a short time due to room flooding---a very drunk guest above us left the bathtub running. The staff went above and beyond trying to remedy the problem--Daniel was incredible. The granada is like a little secret place to relax. The overpass is seriously mere minutes --like a highway overpass. It was nice to go to el patio for breakfast in the morning instead of the buffet---much more intimate and your picky kids could eat anything. You would sit outside and watch the iguanas. The pool is basic for relaxing---the fancier ones are across the pass. The rooms are more than good enuf. So the colors are dated ---is that really a problem for you? We were moved to the moro after the flood--wonderful views, and yes closer to the action which was nice, but the granada is a great place to stay---you kind of feel like you own it---and I was quite happy there. If you have booked this place don't worry you will be happy. Thank you again to Daniel for the cake he gave my son on his 7th birthday---he was beyond thrilled at this. I really recommend this place for anyone who wants to be close to the action but not overrun by it. I would go back in a heartbeat. ----oh yeah take a little walk up to the golf course behind the granada--deer and iguana's everywhere!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Dear sibeow

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent visit to El Cid Granada Country Club. We do appreciate your recognition of our staff’s (specialy Daniel´s) commitment in the recovery efforts made to ensure that the room issue was solved with professionalism. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority.

Again, thank you for the comments that you have shared with us and fellow guests. We value and appreciate your patronage, and look forward to your return! Your feedback is invaluable in meeting and exceeding your expectations, and those of our future guests.

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

My boyfriend and I recently went on a trip with some friends to Mazatlan. We stayed at the El Cid Granada while our friends stayed at the El Cid Castilla. It's just across the skywalk... a 2 minute walk and it's definitely worth it to stay in the Granada! Great service, nice and quiet (it's an older crowd that tends to stay there). The pool is small but it's quiet. The fantastic thing about staying at El Cid is that you can use all the amenities throughout the resort. If you stay at the Granada, you can still go to the Castilla pool or lunch buffet. It's definitely worth it to spend less money to stay at the Granada and just take a 2 minute walk over to the pool.

The rooms in the Castilla are more "modern" but there's a super nice retro feel to the rooms in the Granada. If you're planning on staying in your room for your whole trip, then yes. Spend the extra money to get a big functional room. In all honesty, my boyfriend and I spent WAY less money than our friends did and we managed to do more activities and had way more fun than they did.

The service is great over there! If you are going to eat at La Pergola (or near the beach buffet), be sure to watch out for Adrian! He's the best server that we had the entire time we were there. And he remembers everyone! Super friendly, prompt service, huge smile and loves to joke around. The service at El Cid was phenomenal. Everyone greets you with a smile and is willing to bend over backwards for you. Be sure to bring A LOT of smaller bills/pesos for tipping! These people deserved to be tipped very well!

There's tons of activities to do at the resort and near the resort. We did para sailing, horseback riding and snorkeling. All of them were a blast! (Didn't see much snorkeling but oh well!!) Senor Frogs is right beside the resort and I DEFINITELY recommend going there. Such a blast! If you like nightlife, there are a lot of clubs down the street that will only cost you about 5-7 pesos for a taxi.

My only complaint about the El Cid resorts is that the beach is kinda small. It's not very wide... but it's super long. The peddlers on the beach can get super annoying (And that has NOTHING to do with El Cid - they can't control that!) so for that reason we didn't spend much time on the beach.

For the a la carte restaurants, I HIGHLY recommend the Alcazar. It's an Italian Restaurant... best caesar salad you will ever have!! The food is fantastic and the service is amazing!

If you see any reviews where people complained about the rooms being dirty or the service being bad... that's the kind of people that expect 5 star service at all times. If you want 5 star service with 5 star rooms, STAY IN A 5 STAR HOTEL! If you're going on vacation to RELAX and have fun, definitely stay at the El Cid Resorts!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, April 19, 2010
Dear xrockstarrmeg

A BIG THANK YOU for highly recommending El Cid Resorts to future guests.

Our goal is to make every guest feel welcomed and at home when they can't be. I'm glad our staff members were able to provide you with just such a feeling! I shall share your comments with my team as it seems that they have once again done great job.

Please let me know when you are returning for your second visit as I would love to offer you a personal welcome. I do hope you stumble through our doors again and enjoy our hospitality.

Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

My wife and I have stayed twice at the EL Cid in Mazatlan and have been quite satisfied. But an incident that happened during our last trip has made us reassess the hotel for future trips.

One day, while walking on the Granada grounds, we suddenly came across El Cid employees who were spraying a storage area with a hose. The spray splashed onto our clothes and our skin. We originally thought that the spray was water but we soon realised that the liquid was not water but a BLEACHING AGENT! The employees did not alert us, there were no warning signs or safety barriers around the area, and it could easily have splashed into our eyes, with possible dire consequences. As it turned out, only my wife’s top and shorts and my shorts were damaged. There was no obvious damage to our skin.

We immediately reported the incident and were asked to write out a report containing the details, addressed to Carla, the Customer Services Manager. After six days of stony silence I finally called Carla directly. On learning who I was, she offered a half-hearted apology. The following day (the day before our departure) Daniel, the General Manager, presented us with a certificate for two free nights (with, of course, the usual blackout periods!), European plan, in 2010, as compensation. We were completely underwhelmed.

This was an incident that could have been much more serious to our health and to the hotel's reputation. The hotel’s response was not only lethargic but pathetic: a half-hearted apology six days later and a worthless certificate. No effort was made to reimburse us for our damaged clothing, which, incidentally, cost only $100 to replace.

Carla and Daniel failed miserably on this occasion. This was a problem that could have been resolved easily and at little cost to the hotel. It wasn’t! As a result, we will be looking for alternative accommodation in Mazatlan next year.

More importantly, the hotel needs to review its safety policies and its customer service. Both need to be improved considerably. If not, incidents that should be easy to resolve could, in the long term, turn out to be extremely problematic for the hotel.

Robert (Ontario)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
Dear RobertOntario

Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your resent stay on Tripadvisor.
It goes without saying that I am extremely disappointed to read your review.

As everybody knows, ‘the people’ make or break a stay and it is very clear from your comments that on this occasion something went wrong.

I really do hope (and think) that this is based on some very unfortunate misunderstanding. We do not always get it right, but all our internal feedback systems, and all the comments posted over the years on this site (Tripadvisor) in general speak extremely highly of the customer care delivered by the front of house team.

Customer service remains our top priority. If they are unable to assist, you may contact the General Manager. If added assistance is needed, the CEO himself may be called upon. I regret not having the opportunity to assist you with your issues.

I’m offering my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused during you stay. The service problems you said are not what characterize our daily performance since we do our best to make our guests feel like home.

We will really appreciate your confidence vote one more time to El Cid Resorts in your next visit to Mazatlan; we assure that you will receive the excellence and distinguished service that made you come back in other occasions in the past.

Long Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Location, cleanliness and great service are much more important to us than staying in a 'newer' hotel. The El Cid Granada fits the bill, and then some. We were also pleasantly surprised by the excellent food the restaurants offered. Our favorites were El Patio and Argentina (good steaks). We visited the Castilla and Moro pools, which were fun, but mostly enjoyed the mellower scene at the Granada pool. The beach was beautiful as well; great sunsets.
Granada was a good choice to recharge before heading back to the grind.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
Dear LBC68

Hello & Greetings from El Cid Resorts from all the team here we thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at El Cid Granada Country Club and thank you for the time taken to write your Trip Advisor review. We thank you for choosing us as your holiday destination. Your wonderful comments on restaurants, activities, resort amenities and the lovely staff were especially enjoyable to read! We will gladly share your comments with our staff. Our team takes great pride in ensuring even the smallest facet of your stay is enjoyable and a reflection of the genuine warmth of the Mexican people.

Once again I would like to thank you for kind appreciation and for allowing our team members to show their best with regards to your service. We look forward in welcoming you back!

Best regards,

Sask
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

This was our first trip to Mazatlan and would like to thank everyone from trip advisor for all the helpful information I read about before we went. One of the main reasons we chose the El Cid Granada was because I was very impressed that after each review, the management took the time to reply, so figured customer service must be very important and indeed it was.
We were here March 15-22 and had the all inclusive plan. Check in was quick, with a welcome drink, and because we arrived noonish, our room wasnt ready, which I expected, so were given our bands, a room to change and went to the Granada pool for snacks and drinks until it was ready. I will mention that it was right at the check in desk that we met a very nice couple (from tripadvisor) and actually ended up spending quite a bit of time with them throughout the week. After our room was ready, we got settled in and went over to the Castilla for more drinks and when that closed went to the lobby bar for even more drinks.
We found the service at the El Cid Resorts to be excellent. Unlike other resorts we have stayed at, it didnt seem to be necessary to tip to get service, even though we did tip pretty well every staff member that served us in any way.
The food was good- from the snacks at the pool (they even have chicken wings at El Patio at the Granada) to the buffet to the Italian al a carte to the a la carte at El Patio. I was also impressed that they even had breakfast a la carte, which we have never seen before. We actually never found any reason to eat off the resort as there was lots of choices to pick from and very good food (unlike most resorts we have been to).
We had a kitchenette in our room, which we really didnt use other than to make coffee in the morning, which is nice to have. If you were there for an extended holiday it would be ideal.
We spent a lot of time at the beach and the Castilla pool, and when we wanted quiet time we went over to the Granada pool for relaxation, where again the service was great. The beach is nice and very little undertow in the ocean. There are a lot of vendors, but I actually enjoy visiting with them. If you wanted to look at something you could and if not, a simple no gracious was all that was required. Now the timeshare people are another story. No Gracious was not enough to get them to leave you alone. We werent bothered by them at the resort, but down the beach and street they were very annoying. I just want to add - the Castilla and Granada pool were so warm, which I especially liked. The swim up bar was nice, lots of fun, and the drinks slide down very good. We didnt take part in the daily activities, but always seemed like there was something going on.
I liked the idea of the buffet dinner theatre, where you could have your supper, a few drinks and watch the show. Most resorts we have been to your only choice for drinks is wine or beer, but not here - you could order any kind of drink.
We didnt do a lot of touring, so next time we go back will do more of that. We did walk the beach and street in both directions and did some shopping. We also took the pulmonia (golf cart taxi) a couple of times to Plazuela Machado. There was actually good shopping right at the resort.
The maid service was very good as well. We even had a couple phone calls to our room to make sure everything was O.K.
The only complaint I have is that I never did get the mega coupon book, so I dont even know what I missed out on - not a big deal.
A big thank you to all the staff at El Cid for making our vacation a very enjoyable experience. We will be back and I have recommended this resort to all our friends.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

Prior to reading this review, note that I didn't stay long enough to really explore the grounds. So I did not see the tennis courts, gym, golfing area or private pool (which I understand is much nicer).

This hotel is somewhat of a time capsule. Think circa 1976. The lobby was dark and unimpressive. The time share ladies serve, what is actually a pretty good drink, in old, worn plastic cups. The room keys are old fashioned copper keys, and for some reason it took at least 40 minutes to check in.

Our room itself was okay. again, a little dated, but all in all not bad. our bathroom however, was so dated that it appeared dirty, although I'm sure that it was quite clean. The location of our room, however, was terrible. We were right at the foot of the bridge that you take to get to the El Cid Castilla. So when the shades were open (there are big windows leading out to the balcony), you can see everyone so closely that they might as well have been in your room. Needless to say, this was more of a problem at night when you can hear everyone's drunken conversations verbatim at 2.30 in the morning. Miserable. Needless to say, I asked for a new room. I needed a new location anyway because apparently there is only wireless internet access on the first floor, and not any other floor. There was nothing available. That in addition to the fact that the person at reception asked my friend to pay the timeshare tax, and wouldn't let her in until she did, despite the fact that she was NOT the timeshare owner was the final straw for me. I called RCI and asked for a transfer.

That being said, I will say that the housekeeping staff was really great. They called once each day to check in and make sure we didn't need anything, and dealt with our ridiculous requests around having 50 extra hangers and 4 extra pillows. and although we only stayed one night our 1976 room shined with cleanliness.

The other advantage of staying here is that staying at one El Cid hotel will give you access to all of the El Cid hotels and amenities. The other locations are far nicer. The beach areas for all of them suck except for the marina. The beach is really short (from the wall to the water)... and the vendors are practically on top of you trying to sell stuff. Didn't like the beach here AT ALL.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
Dear MunKee53

We appreciate your candid feedback of El Cid Granada Country Club. While we are disappointed to hear that despite the good service and location our property was just not a match for you, we do appreciate hearing your feedback. It is not a secret that our rooms are in need of a facelift but we are committed to providing excellent service, clean facilities, and a great place to stay to everyone that walks through our doors. It is our hope that our renovation plans will be released very soon and we hope that you would consider returning to experience our new product.

Warmest regards,

Mark Covarrubias McKay

Been to El Cid Granada Country Club? Share your experiences!