“Superior Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Granada Country Club

You added El Cid Granada Country Club to your Saves list
El Cid Granada Country Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Camaron Sabalo S/N | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Calgary, Canada
“Superior Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed for 1 week and I highly recommend this resort, we had an amazing service & the staff was very friendly & accommodating, the front desk, the maids, the servers specially in the La Cascada, El Patio & La Conchita Restaurants; Guillermo, Eduardo, Silvestre, Miguel, Francisco Renteria & Tomas Osena were very helpful and provided superior service. It was nice & quite & enjoyable all the time, I have 2 teenage girls & they loved it too, keep up the good work.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear, Khaled E

Thank you for all of the lovely comments written about El Cid Granada & Country Club. We are thrilled that you found our hotel to be “fabulous”. It delights me to read you had a fantastic time at the hotel. Our restaurants, and hotel, however I really feel it's our staff that truly makes each guest's vacation something to remember. I will share your nice words with them.

Once again thank you for your comments and we will continue to strive to exceed our guest’s expectations via service, location, design and value.

It will certainly be a pleasure to welcome you back. We promise that your every stay with us will be even better

All the best,

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Campbell River
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Stayed at the Granada for 4 weeks and thoroughly enjoyed it. Daneil the manager was very friendly and accommodating. The bell boys Israel and especially Audomaro were very helpful and friendly. The front desk people and cleaning staff all were amazing making for a wonderful stay. It is very quiet there and facilities are great, I will definitely return.

Room Tip: All good, every room is good and staff are superv
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear, BenCampbe

I can´t begin to express what your review means to me and all the staff. It is always nice to be recognized when you put in a little extra work and your wonderful comments can benefit enormously El Cid team's atmosphere. Thanks to positive feedback from our guests who wanted a good experience.

Daniel, Israel and Audomaro received a huge applause for their consistently great job, your comments about their amazing attitude and service make them earn it.

The next time you, a friend or family member visits Mazatlan, remember we are here to serve you!

Kind Regards,

Strathmore, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Spent two weeks Jan 29 - Feb 12 at El Cid Granada. Room was spacious with kitchenette that we didn't use. Beds are very firm. Really enjoy use of the other El Cid facilities, although Granada was my preference as it was quiet and protected from the sometimes very strong winds. Staff throughout the resorts were wonderful and most all were very attentive. Even if going all inclusive, be sure to tip for the service - even if only a dollar. They deserve it! I really enjoyed the fact that they recognize you and call out your name to say hello.

Spent a lot of time on the beach this trip - there were many beach vendors, and just a quick no thanks or a shake of the head had them on their way. Famous for `tomorrow` or `pay later`! The beach is beautiful for walks; the huts are plentiful although most people are up early to `reserve` spots with their towels. One thing to remember is the beach is for everyone, so we had no problems finding a spot and pulling up chairs and making new friends. I was disappointed with the amount of smokers during our trip. The resort has no control over this and they do have no smoking signs up inside the lobby bar and restaurants. Smokers don`t always respect the signs though ;(

We tried all the a la carte restaurants - Mexican, Italian, Sushi and El Patio. Enjoyed them all. Love the fact that there are no limits on how many times one can book at the a la carte restaurants. The buffet was fine too - so many choices! We liked to go early enough to eat and then have dessert during the entertainment shows.

I met so many return guests that stay for long periods of time and was so envious! I enjoyed my two weeks in sun and sand and will definitely return to the El Cid Granada in the near future.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are nice; will be noisy until 9:30 on their Wednesday Mexican Fiesta night. Se...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear, Adnawlou

We are glad to read your comment and to serve you while you stayed at El Cid Resorts. First of all, we want to give special thanks. We work every day to complete all of your guests needs and make you feel special.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with the non smoking signs, we will definitely work harder in that part because we understand that some guests are non smokers and it can become a big issue for some of them. However, we are very glad to receive good news about our service and quality for our food, we do work harder making sure our food and beverages are fresh and very well cooked for you to enjoy and off course you were able to book a la carte restaurants as many times as you wanted and since you were paying for an all inclusive package; we are aware of the importance of having an unforgettable vacation, and we make what is possible to make it happen.
We will be happy to receive you soon.

Best regards,

Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We just got back from spending two weeks at the El Cid Granada (on Saturday, February 8th) and enjoyed our stay immensely.

We were offered an upgrade to the Castilla (for $200/per room/per week) on arrival, but declined, as we really DID want to stay at the Granada (after reading the good reviews).

We spent our first night in 1st floor rooms (#1010 & 1011, I believe). The beds were extremely hard/uncomfortable & everything in the rooms was tired/beat up looking… neither of the air conditioners worked (nor did the fridge in the one room) & neither of our rooms appeared truly clean (streaky mirrors, etc). The TV in our room did not work either.

We let the front desk staff know after spending the first hot night and they quickly sent a friendly maintenance man to get our air conditioners working & to fix our TV. The front desk staff offered us different rooms on the 3rd floor (for the remainder of our stay) although they warned that some 3rd floor rooms were being renovated & it may be noisy during the day.

We looked at the rooms & absolutely wanted to be moved!

Hubby & I stayed in room #3035 (King bed) and my Mom stayed in #3036 (2 double beds w/ kitchenette)… we were extremely happy with our new rooms (nothing fancy, but they were 10X better than our first floor rooms). The walls had been freshly painted & both rooms had new comfortable beds. The linens & curtains were the same as our original rooms, but they didn’t seem as threadbare. Everything was spotlessly clean and everything worked (air & fridge, etc). With a little Mexican decorating these rooms could be fabulous!

There were a few noisy days (jack hammering, etc), but we expected it and spent very little time in our rooms during the day. The construction guys were working on rooms #3037 & #3038 (right beside us) and I bet they are going to be very nicely updated soon!

We had EXCEPTIONAL service from many, many staff at the Granada, Castilla and spa at the Country Club:

Ulysses (at Castilla) TRULY made our holiday special. He looked after us extremely well… always ensuring we had strong enough drinks to enjoy and our dishes were taken as soon as we were done (no pigeons were ever on our table, lol). He always had a great big smile & little personal story to share with us, as well. He provided an exceptional level of service to us (especially on my birthday) & we appreciated it immensely!

Roberto & Richardo (at the Castilla) are excellent servers, as well. We tried to sit in their sections when Ulysses wasn’t available. Both are happy, hardworking, conscientious guys!

JC (Juan Carlos) is a younger server at the Castilla and although his service started out ‘shaky’ it improved once we got to know (& tease) him a bit! He tried really hard and we appreciated the effort that he put in.

Caesar and the entertainment staff kept us busy & entertained. We enjoyed casino night, golf/putting tournament, bingo & Hubby played Ping-Pong one afternoon, as well. Caesar is very good at getting everyone to join in!

My Mom used the spa facilities at the Country Club pretty much daily (once we found it) and Hilda (in ladies steam/sauna/locker room) looked after her exceptionally well. There was a language barrier, but Hilda was very friendly and my Mom appreciated her efforts. She would have the steam room going when my Mom arrived at 7 am and always ensured that Mom had fresh towels, robe/slippers and plenty of cool water to drink. Hilda & Lupita keep that locker room spotless!

We had very good meals at the El Patio (Abraham was a real sweetie) & Alcazar. We didn’t enjoy the sushi restaurant, but it’s likely because it was our first experience with sushi ever. The service wasn’t great at the Sushi restaurant the night we visited either.

We didn’t try any of the other al a carte restaurants.
---
The only BAD experience we had at the resort was on our 2nd reservation to the Alcazar and it was bad enough that I believe it deserves a mention:

We had only been at the resort a couple of days and I misunderstood the lady whom I spoke to when making the reservation in the morning. I believed that we had a reservation time of 6:30 pm and we arrived 10 minutes late to be treated shamefully by the manager (I believe his name was Manolo).

He marched out of the restaurant to the front door to INFORM us that HE had waited 50 minutes for ‘YOU PEOPLE’ and that there was NO 6:30 RESERVATION time EVER and that we WOULD NOT be welcome in the restaurant. Manolo ADVISED (while waving his hands around unprofessionally) that we could come back at 9 pm and IF there was room we would be seated then.

It appeared that he was very insulted and we were quite taken aback (and embarrassed as there were other guests who witnessed his tirade). It’s not how we expected to be treated on our vacation, at all :(

There were maybe 5 tables full in the restaurant (the place was empty), but we could see that trying to explain the misunderstanding (or to apologize) would be pointless. It was an honest mistake on my part (we are NOT ignorant people in the least).

We didn’t bother to eat at the Alcazar again, although we LOVED the food & and had enjoyed GREAT service from our server on our one visit (we tipped 100 pesos & my ONLY regret would be if Manolo had gotten a share of it, lol). None of us would have been able to enjoy the ambience of that great restaurant after being humiliated like that. It was unnecessary DRAMA to an otherwise great vacation.

---

Overall our experience at El Cid was great. The Granada isn’t fancy, but we were comfortable/happy with our updated rooms. We enjoyed the nightly shows and the supper buffet quite a few times. The food at the buffets wasn’t exceptional (by any means), but the service we received from the servers made up for it!

None of us lost weight on our 2-week holiday, so I guess that speaks for itself, lol!

Thanks for a great stay. We hope to visit again next winter!

Room Tip: Rooms #3036 (2 double beds w/ kitchenette) & #3035 (king bed) had comfortable beds & have be...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear kc68,

Thank you for writing positive comments as well as constructive criticism. We are working on making renovations on our rooms and we hope on having this project done as soon as possible so our guest can enjoy of these improvements. I am glad my staff was able to provide quick service and was really attentive. We always try and come up with fun new and exciting entertainment to always have our guest with something to do. I see you were able to visit our spa and fitness center its great you were so fond of the instillation seeing as thought we have just finished some renovations with the spa. We take pride in offering the finest cuisines in our hotel and I see hear we have yet again satisfied someone’s taste bodies a big congratulations to the chef. We hope you keep on coming back to us we wait with open arms.

Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

It's said that 'He who praises everybody praises nobody', and usually that is true. That said, all the staff at El Cid Granada and El Cid Castilla truly deserve exceptional praise overall, from Antonio (bellboy) to Daniel (manager) at Granada who made us feel welcome on arrival and changed our room from sub-par to way above-par as soon as was possible.We loved the main floor room with kitchenette facing the pool.
The maids and grounds staff always had a smile and friendly 'Hola' when we met, and did a wonderful job of keeping the room, poolside and grounds clean and free of tourist debris. The water in the heated pool was tested at least once a day during our stay and the resident iguanas seemed to appreciate the opportunity for the occasional dip.
We ate only at Granada and Castilla and Sushi bar and all sites offered fine to excellent dining quality, choices and service.
The restaurant staff were also very personable and professional, from the made-to- order omelet/quesadilla cooks (especially Socorro) to the head chefs.
As mentioned initially, all staff were above average but our personal 'favourites' were Capitan Joel and waiters Miguel, Jaime and Julian at the Granada, Capitan Cesar Tiznado and waiters Daniel (who was transferred to the Moro during our stay), Angelita, Ramone, Ricardo and Christian at the Castilla.
Incidentally, I had a bout of severe dizziness one morning at the Pergola breakfast buffet. Cesar quickly called the consulting physician and had two waiters accompany my wife and I to the doctor's office where my problem was quickly diagnosed as an inner ear blockage and infection. Treatment was fast and relief immediate, thanks to Dr. Jose Ortega and the aforementioned staff.
Our favourite areas were at the Alhambra for mid-day meals, evening shows at the Pergola, relaxing around the Granada pool in the afternoons and playing pool and listening to a live band at the Castilla lounge.
The staff there did a great job serving thirsty fans during the Superbowl, snacks were also good. Oh yes, Hi to Jose, the singing waiter and all the long-suffering dancing waitresses at the the lounge.
Terrific job folks!

Room Tip: Poolside for quick access to the pool and El Patio restaurant
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jim N,

Wow! We appreciate points brought up for readers to enjoy. Thank you for such kind words given about my staff, it makes me so proud to have them as a part of our team for they are what truly make a difference on making our guest stays magnificent. I will definitely give the staff members you previously mentioned a congratulations on their hard efforts. I am sorry to hear you were sick at one point but glad you recuperated quickly. I am content to hear our hotel lived up to your expectations and you grew so fond of our resort. We hope we have the pleasure in seeing you again soon we await anxiously .

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

When we booked our package, it was with the understanding that we would have a kitchenette and a balcony.
Upon arrival we were shown to a room I could only describe as dismal. It had 2 beds, small night stand and a dresser with an old TV on it. The small window opened but we still needed to have the room lights on.The bathroom was even worse.
I went to reception and was told there were no kitchenettes available but could upgrade to the El Moro for $210 USD. We took the upgrade.
Later we talked with some people who had a kitchenette overlooking the centre court yard at the Granada and they were very happy with their room.
We did not avail ourselves of the amenties at the Granada but rather we dined at the restaurants at the Castilla. The service at those resaurants was superb.... a special thank you to our waiters Daniel and Silvestre.
Our room at the El Moro was lovely...14th floor, kitchenette and can you believe it a deep bath tub that had to be 6 feet long.
On our next trip we will try the Granada again as they are making renovations.
The photos I have attached are from the Castilla and El Moro.
Jo-Ann Winnipeg, MB

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before having your luggage taken up.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jo-Ann U ,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review. I’m sorry your stay started off on a rocky start but I am pleased to hear that my staff was able to help you resolve this once you had your rooms changed. It is marvelous that you were able to try some of our Restaurants and were really found of them. Despite the minor inconveniences I’m glad you didn’t let it affect your outlook on the hotel and you had a wonderful time. We hope you come visit us again soon.

Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed at El Cid Granada for a week, and it was most enjoyable. The hotel is older, but very comfortable and clean, and quite a good value. I enjoyed the kitchenette and private balcony, and it's an easy walk over the pedestrian bridge to a beautiful beach.
Everyone was very friendly and professional - especially Alejandro at the desk who went out of his way to help me with a special situation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear, Manolo M

What a pleasant comment! Best appraisal any hotel can get is a promise that our guest is going to stay with us again because of the good service and helpful staff! Please, accept my sincere gratitude on behalf of my all staff and let me assure you that thanks to such comments we will be getting even better. Be assuring that we share your nice words to Alejandro for the front desk, for let him know the result for an excellent job!

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Granada Country Club? Share your experiences!