“disappointed initially” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Granada Country Club

Save Saved
You added El Cid Granada Country Club to your Saves list
El Cid Granada Country Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Camaron Sabalo S/N | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 72 hotels in Mazatlan
Winnipeg, Canada
“disappointed initially”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

When we booked our package, it was with the understanding that we would have a kitchenette and a balcony.
Upon arrival we were shown to a room I could only describe as dismal. It had 2 beds, small night stand and a dresser with an old TV on it. The small window opened but we still needed to have the room lights on.The bathroom was even worse.
I went to reception and was told there were no kitchenettes available but could upgrade to the El Moro for $210 USD. We took the upgrade.
Later we talked with some people who had a kitchenette overlooking the centre court yard at the Granada and they were very happy with their room.
We did not avail ourselves of the amenties at the Granada but rather we dined at the restaurants at the Castilla. The service at those resaurants was superb.... a special thank you to our waiters Daniel and Silvestre.
Our room at the El Moro was lovely...14th floor, kitchenette and can you believe it a deep bath tub that had to be 6 feet long.
On our next trip we will try the Granada again as they are making renovations.
The photos I have attached are from the Castilla and El Moro.
Jo-Ann Winnipeg, MB

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before having your luggage taken up.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Jo-Ann U ,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review. I’m sorry your stay started off on a rocky start but I am pleased to hear that my staff was able to help you resolve this once you had your rooms changed. It is marvelous that you were able to try some of our Restaurants and were really found of them. Despite the minor inconveniences I’m glad you didn’t let it affect your outlook on the hotel and you had a wonderful time. We hope you come visit us again soon.

Warm Greetings,

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Valencia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed at El Cid Granada for a week, and it was most enjoyable. The hotel is older, but very comfortable and clean, and quite a good value. I enjoyed the kitchenette and private balcony, and it's an easy walk over the pedestrian bridge to a beautiful beach.
Everyone was very friendly and professional - especially Alejandro at the desk who went out of his way to help me with a special situation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear, Manolo M

What a pleasant comment! Best appraisal any hotel can get is a promise that our guest is going to stay with us again because of the good service and helpful staff! Please, accept my sincere gratitude on behalf of my all staff and let me assure you that thanks to such comments we will be getting even better. Be assuring that we share your nice words to Alejandro for the front desk, for let him know the result for an excellent job!

Warm Greetings,

Stayner, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

we stayed a week at the Granada in January 2013 with another couple and had a very relaxing
time. we especially enjoyed the heated pool and breakfast at the el patio restaurant. the staff
and service were exceptional, so much so that we are returning in February 2014 for 2 weeks with the same friends. we had rooms at the back of the resort which were nice and quiet. hopefully we can be there again this year. looking forward to leaving the polar vortex behind!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear: Robin s

What a pleasant to read that you have an excellent experience even though this occurred a year ago! It’s amazing to keep on your mind for the great experience.
We want to thank you for choosing us once again and we waitting for give to you a warm welcome in your next visit to Mazatlan at El Cid Granada!

Plesae contact me at mamoran@elcid.com if I can be help.

General Manager.
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is one of the older and smaller resorts at El Cid Mazatlan, but it has been remodeled. It is quiet and the pool is heated and the deepest of all the El Cid resorts in Mazatlan. The rooms are older, but clean and very comfortable. Their size is also bigger than the newer and bigger resort rooms. Senor Daniel Cazares Medina has developed a team that is very guest oriented. He is also available when you have special needs. He makes this resort a little more special.
El Patio – This restaurant is located by the pool and is by reservations only. Sitting under the starts is just great for those romantic meals. They also have a weekly Fiesta with lots of entertainment. Joe, the Captain, over sees a staff that is well trained for service. If you have been there before, they already know where you like to sit and what you would like to drink.
Internet – Alex [IT] jumped into action when we experienced some problems, but the problem seems to be from the provider end. The provider at El Cid seems to cause a lot of the resort’s internet problems which in turn end up blaming the resort for the service. The broadband at times just does not serve the Wi-Fi. They have a small business center that is on the ether net, but without a printer. They could fix this with either having an old printer there from one they upgraded somewhere else or setting up a wireless connecting to the lobby printer.
Casa Club - The restaurant is located at the Country club section of Granada.
Five of us went in for their breakfast on a buy one get one free [the waiter to the 2x1 offer to the head waiter who took it to the Manager before it got approved]. Well it was not worth the 2x1 they offered. The only good thing was the service [waiters] and they tried hard. The quality was so bad that all my wife had from the buffet was a few Danishes and drinks for the cost of a buffet.
The lack of fresh fruit. The pineapple was to not ripe yet nor was the cantaloupe any good which is surprise for Mexico in general where fruits are usually very good. They had some bananas that had seen better days and some apples.
I asked for chocolate milk [we do not drink coffee] and was told they had none, but to be fair they did bring a powder mix that resembled chocolate milk about ½ hour later. By my adding fresh milk to it, it was OK. The bacon, which I like crisp, was so crisp if you looked at it would start to crumble. I looked for hash browns and they had boiled potatoes that they mushed and passed off as hash browns. I went to the omelet bar and after 10 minutes [our table thought I had deserted them] I got 2 eggs grossly over cooked with ham, onions, mushrooms and cheese; all of which was cold. They had some rolls, but no bread slices or toaster. The rolls where on a steam table which made them somewhat mushy. The Danishes they had, had no fruit in them.
They also had several meats, which had texture, but limited flavor. I asked the chef [man in black jacket on service line] if they had any rice or potatoes for the meats. He took me to the breakfast bar and showed me their “hash browns”.
Even though this is an international resort, most of the people here where locals. Maybe that is what they expect for a brunch, but out all the restaurants in the El Cid resorts, this has been the worst. When the head waiter asked how it was, I told him. When he asked others at our table the answer was the same from all.
It was so bad that when they came after me in the hall and tried to give me a small bottle of champagne, I did not even accept it.

Room Tip: For mature travelers
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear: El1Lobo

On behalf of my staff and I we would like to thank you for taking the time in writing this review and filling us in on your recent experience, we value each and everyone’s opinion and always take it an opportunity to grow. So I see you were able to attend our weekly Mexican Fiesta what a joy you had a great time we always try and come up with fun new activities in way our guests and enjoy and interact. I’m glad you were able to take note of my workers hard labor such as Daniel Cazares, Alex, and the waiters at the country club they will definitely be taken notice of for their great efforts. However it is unfortunate as you have mentioned in a previous reviews for the Prime Grill the food in the country club to not be at your desires, it really concerns me to hear the description on our food and beverages, I personally encourage modifying each of your remarks. I once again thank you for your time given we hope to have the pleasure in hosting you again.

Best Regards,

Brockville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We booked an All Inclusive Vacation at the El Cid Granada , Mazatlán with Sunwing Vacations for January 7, 2014. We flew out of Toronto, Ontario spending the night previous to our flight at the Holiday Inn Airport East. This included parking for our car in the same price. The Holiday Inn room was what you would expect from the Holiday Inn Group. We were picked up by the Holiday Inn Shuttle and dropped off at Terminal 1. The shuttle was rather cool which was expected as the outside temperature was minus 25 and they had to have the doors open for a while to load baggage and passengers. We arrived at the airport 3 hours early along with thousands of others who were looking to travel someplace warmer. The electronic check-in is the way to go as it cuts your time down waiting in line. Once you are checked in there are lots of restaurants and coffee shops available. There was a long line at the Tim Horton's coffee shop. We had a fairly long wait to get boarded. The attendant at the gate announced that they were boarding the flight in a heavily accented soft voice. This did nothing to help people figure out that they were boarding families with children and people who needed assistance first. We did notice that some passengers have learned that carrying a cane moved you to the front of the line even if you did not need assistance.
The flight was late leaving and we had to de-ice which delayed it further. We found out later just after we left the airport closed all outgoing flights and allowed only incoming flights to land.
The flight out was good with champagne offered to the passengers. The food was typical airline food. The attendants were busy serving passengers through out the trip. We landed in Mazatlán to 25 degree temperatures and sunny skies. The trip through customs was quick and painless. Many of the passengers were surprised that their luggage was wet and found that brand new luggage was scuffed and dirty from handling. As soon as you get through customs you are immediately confronted by Time Share and Excursion sellers posing as your travel agency representative. You need to learn to say No and work your way outside the terminal and find your shuttle. This can be a bit confusing. We did find the shuttle and were loaded and off on our way quickly with a Sunwing representative. The trip to the El Cid Resort was about 45 minutes as we had to stop at three other hotels to drop off passengers. On the way to the hotel you get a bit of information about the city, available excursions etc. A Sunwing welcome was scheduled for the next day with the main purpose being to sell excursions , we chose not to attend. The El Cid Granada is an older hotel and only 3 floors. We preferred this to the high rise Casstilla and Morro. The rooms are a little bit vintage but were always clean with lots of towels etc. The Granada has a small quiet pool and restaurant that is very nice if you want to relax in quiet. If you prefer noise and action the Casstilla pool is much bigger and much busier. You will never have to wait long to have a waiter offer you a drink. The Morro has a slightly quieter pool area. The food was excellent no matter if you chose to eat at one of the buffets or at the A la carte restaurants. You need to book your reservation to any of the a la carte restaurants first thing in the morning in order to ensure a place. We were pleasantly surprised and pleased that if you ordered a rare tuna steak that was what you got. The wines available were very good as well. The beach was wide and clean the water warm and there were vendors selling everything from trinkets to parasailing. Again you need to learn to smile and say no and they move on to the next person. This goes for the excursion sellers on the street as well.
The City Tour took you to the old market that has fresh fruit and vegetables cut to order meat as well as clothing and trinket shops. As a general rule prices start about 30 % higher and can be bargained down. The amount the vender is willing to come down seems to vary with the time of day and sales that have been made. We found that some of the stalls on the street near the hotel had better prices. Look around at different shops and ask prices before you buy and you will find that as it is everywhere, prices for the same item vary. As well as the market the tour of the city took you to a cathedral and some park areas and older buildings. The guide provided some information on these places. On the tour we were taken to an artisan shop and a jewelry store that were supposed to have very good prices. I believe that we were steered to these places as the tour operator receives compensation for doing so. We stopped at a restaurant that was supposed to be the best seafood restaurant in Mazatlán with really cheap prices. I think this was another place that was in league with the tour operator. We also took the Deer Island tour that was on a tri-maran out of the El Cid Marina. The sea was calm with a nice breeze to help keep you cool. Drinks flowed non-stop as we motored along the shore and around a couple of islands and ended up at the first island just outside of the Marina. You will notice that I said motored and not sailed. The sails do not look like they have been used in some time. At the island there were one and two man kayaks a banana boat that was towed around by a panga and masks and flippers available to do some snorkeling. They try to get everyone on the banana boats as soon as possible as the panga has to go back to the marina to pick up the food for lunch. The food was limited in variety but was great in taste. Again the drinks never stop. The El Cid Marina Hotel is beautiful and the marina is first class. I would recommend the El Cid Resort to anyone! The use of all four hotels facilities really expands your vacation experience. The managers at the restaurants are continually walking around and ensure that the guests are being looked after by their staff. As another guest said to us the Granada and other El Cid hotels are the best kept secret in Mazatlán.

Room Tip: The rooms toward the back of the hotel are quiet. The beds are definitely firm to hard. Suites are a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time in letting us know how your recent stay was here with us. We always appreciate feedback. Here in El Cid Resorts we try to offer something for everyone as you previously mentioned Granada is known to be our more tranquil hotel along with Marina, as far as Castilla and Moro they are more known to be a bit more family friendly do the fact that we have the beach closer by which is what most people prefer thus making it our more busier hotel. In respect to our rooms we are working on remodeling rooms as often as we can so we can have them up to date. I’m glad you found our food and beverages to your liking we hope on keeping these hard efforts up and better our menus as much as we possibly can so we can feel everyone’s taste buds. As I further along read your review it is so great you got an opportunity to further explore Mazatlan for it is such a beautiful city and has much to offer. I hope in the near future you will visit us again!

See you soon,

Omaha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We traded fairly late thru RCI to go to Mazatlan during Christmas week, so took what we got, knowing the Granada is the oldest of the el Cid properties. The resort staff is friendly and the resort is clean, if a bit dated. We agreed to the timeshare presentation at the marina because I like to check out resorts for future trades and they comped us free golf, free Internet for the week ($10 a day) and free massages. Presentation was short and low pressure, with breakfast we were out in 75 minutes and got what was promised.
We were called prior to arrival about half price AI. For $30 a day, it was a no brainier...covers breakfast and poolside drinks. We still ate/drank off property a ton, but feel we got more than our money worth.
We preferred the marina pool. Too many running kids at the Moro and Castilla. Food and service were much better poolside over there too. Miguel was our waiter and fantastic every day we went over there. Please be sure to tip. Saw plenty of people that did not. Service at Moro pool was mediocre. Never used Castilla or granada's pools.
The sushi restaurant at the country club was included. Pretty good, but nothing spectacular. Their reservation system for all restaurants says 24 hours prior, but need to be made day of. Any of the breakfast places were decent. Lunch buffet by the beach at Moro was ok.
Would definitely return. Don't expect a high end, luxury resort, but better than many.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear: ericajr

I want to express my thanks to you for sharing your experiences at El Cid Granada. I appreciated the positives and constructive comments. We always work to Keeping customers happy, ensuring that they come back in the future and encouraging them to sell the merits of our hotel to their friends, relations and colleagues is the aspiration of El Cid. I´m glad you were able to use the facilities of our four hotels, the great service bring you to our staff…We are proud to offer a variety of fun options to ensure the guest’s experience is highly memorable.

We keep working on improvements to our hotel, we are in a competitive market and we working hard to stay on the guest expectations.

Please the next time that you come to Mazatlan, will hope to be the hotel of your choice.

War greetings,

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stuck here in cold and icy Minnesota my husband and I cannot wait to return to Granada for one month this winter. I am dreaming of the palm trees and iquanas. Undoubtably Mr Cazares and his friendly staff will welcome us.
I plan to take yoga at the health club and swim in the pool beneath the Roman Aquaducts. We are returning for our 16th year and it is like going home.
See you soon Daniel!
Kathy and Lee

Room Tip: By the pool for easy access, near the back for quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear: MZT-traveler

We can wait to give you a warm welcome back to Mazatlan and for El Cid Granada once again.

I’m feel proud to having guest like you, we appreciated your loyalty and nice words to our team, I share your review with Daniel Cazares and the staff to El Cid Granada, I’m pretty sure that they will be happy to know that your come again.

See you soon,

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Granada Country Club? Share your experiences!