“Great food ,entertainment and fun for the whole family.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Granada Country Club

Save Saved
You added El Cid Granada Country Club to your Saves list
El Cid Granada Country Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Camaron Sabalo S/N | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 50% Off Air + Hotel
Ranked #13 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Sudbury, Canada
“Great food ,entertainment and fun for the whole family.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the El Cid Granada for 2 weeks followed by another 2 weeks at the El Cid Castilla from January 8 to February 5 ,2013.as a single occupant,

Initially I wasn't too impressed with the accommodations at the Granada. When I first arrived I was disgusted with the mold and mildew in the washroom.The shower mat was covered with black spots ,I mentioned it to a member of the cleaning staff, and within minutes she brought me a brand new floor mat. I gave her 50 Pesos and she was my best friend for the duration. Apparently the rooms were being renovated and I happened to get one of ones that wasn't. I mentioned it to someone who was staying at this resort and I was surprised when they showed me their renovated room. It was very clean and modern.
When you check in,make sure there is no door to an adjoining room.These doors are not very sound proof. When I hear someone else snoring, I find it soothing, but others may not.
The Granada is a very quaint and quiet place with a pleasant Mexican flavour. I had a room on the second of three floors. It had balcony on one end and on the entrance end, a walkway overlooking an enclosure with a pool ,stage and restaurant. The Patio restaurant was convenient for the a la cart breakfast. The waiter gave me a bill for the meal, but since I was "All Inclusive", it was merely for accounting purposes.

I spent most of my time at El Cid's sister resort, the Castilla,across the street. It is conveniently connected by a covered overpass.All the facilities are included with both resorts.
Staying at the Castilla is slightly more expensive than the Granada, ($100 more for a 14 day all inclusive package). The rooms are fantastic,very modern with a huge bed; although I could do without all those pillows. The only problem was at night, with the outdoor lighting over the pool. I like to sleep in the dark and the windows lacked heavy drapes.
Connected to the Castilla by the pool or an indoor shopping mall is another EL Cid hotel called El Moro.Or you can take a free shuttle to the El Cid Marina resort.It's quite the empire.
If anyone complained about the food, because their was no variety, i had to wonder how they could ever prepare such extensive and tasty meals at home. They had pasta, chicken, pork, beef,fish, lobster,shrimp,even turkey,,prepared in a different ways with each dinner menu.If you want vegetarian, there were more than 10 different fresh and cooked vegetables.And fresh fruits..wow..some I had never heard of. My favourite meal of the day is breakfast, with fruits yogurt, refried beans,bacon,hash browns and an omelette made to my request with cactus no less...mmmmm.. No variety? You've got to be kidding.

As for entertainment, it was very professional.These kids put on 6 shows per week,,so athletic, all gymnasts I'm sure. I saw their shows at least 3 times. On Sundays they had the night off but they did the usual "humiliate the guests night",,always funny.
For the kids,they had organized water events and for the tots,there were supervised art classes.
Of course they had tours,not too expensive, but i preferred taking the local bus, for 8 pesos to
visit the downtown shops, theater and historic sites.

Being there for a month, laundry at the hotel can be fairly expensive at 25 pesos for one pair of underwear. A Lavenderia, within walking distance, will do it for 20 pesos/kilo...that's alota underwear.

The internet service was pretty good at 300 pesos/week for WIFI and if you want to use their computer they have about 10 computers in the business section of the resort..It costs 2 pesos/minute.,A bit pricey but most of the time the attendant would let you off with a wink and a smile..

The weather was a bit chilly the first week and the locals were wearing heavy parkas,scarves and gloves while while us Canadian gringos bravely wore shorts. Back home it was -30 C, so i wasn't complaining.

I really enjoyed my stay.The staff were extremely friendly. Although I try not to go to the same place twice, I might make an exception in this case.

Room Tip: At the Granada,make sure you have a recently renovated room and that there is no door to an adjoinin...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear: Danielle R

How wonderful to receive such a kind review and it is with great pride that we have read your wonderful comments and feedback.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very glad to learn that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

Guests' reviews are very important to us: they help us to understand guests' needs. We learn where our services are appropriate and appreciated, and also where we can make improvements.

From the various people worldwide who have visited us, we have heard nothing but rave reviews on the delicious food, varied buffets, comfortable rooms, gracious hosts, hospitable staff, and excellent service.

It is always gratifying to know that we have been able to please our guests and we all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to El Cid Granada during your future stays in Mazatlan.

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Cranbrook, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at the El Cid Granada for 2 weeks.

Rooms: the shuttle from the airport was quick. Check in was SUPER easy and we had fresh drink brought to us. Our room had 2 double beds, a kitchenette, a nice sized patio and was on the 3rd floor just up from the lobby. There was a bit of noise but nothing unusual - this is a hotel...the location was very convenient to the Granada El Patio restaurant & pool as well as the walk way over to the Castille/Moro. The room was clean - nice linens and towels. Our room was "updated" which means that the lighting and furnishings are new. However, the bathroom is still 70's style. Tipping the maid gave us some cool towel animals and kleenex flowers...

Restaurants: Had breakfast every morning at the buffet at the Castille. You can also have breakfast at the El Patio or at the Moro but this is a menu and for breakfast that did not suit us. For lunch we tried out the El Patio which was nice, quiet with a small menu, the buffet at the Castille which was always busy but on the ocean and we also went to the mexican restaurant at the Moro which was a nice change - indoors, airconditioned, menu. For supper we found the Mexican restaurant (moro) to be very good, the El Patio (granada) excellent, Sushi (granada) quiet & good, Italien (castille) okay, Buffet (castille) okay. Servers were super - especailly when they know you are a good tipper!

Ammenities - the pool at the Moro was the best for kids with the slide and rock jumping, the pool at the castille was quiet but we never swam there, the pool at the granada was great for windy days as it is very protected and warm. The ocean was nice and swimmable for all ages! We did not try the spa. The shows at night were not kid friendly until the last 10 minutes when the kids were invited on stage to dance - they LOVED that...but the actual shows (except broadway and kids show) were a little too adult! The bar in the castille was also GREAT in the evenings for sports, a bit of flash mob dancing and good drinks.

Overall, for the price, this was a GREAT hotel. We did go out of the hotel to do siteseeing and to a few other restaurants. Would definitely recommend this to the budget traveller. If you want 5 star accomodations - do not stay here.

Note: We also did the time share presentation. We had never done one before and even though we did not buy into it, it was very imformative and was interesting and actually a good idea. We were glad that we looked into it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear: djlbtravel
First of all dear guest, thanks for contribution and lovely post! I am delighted to read that you have experienced your stay as "excellent". Positive comments are a real motivation for our staff. It is an extra push to go that extra mile day after day…they will surely keep up the good work!

Thank you for also complimenting our great location, nice rooms and food. The food and service are quality controlled daily. We appreciate your trust and that is why we pay attention. to small details and try to offer more than our competitors. Your notes on other El Cid Resorts: Castilla, Moro and Granada will no doubt prove valuable to other visitors too.
Thank you for your confidence and for recommending us. Please come back and visit us again.

Kind regards,

Strathmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just returned from our trip Feb 13-23, 2013. We stayed at the "Granada" but used all the amenities of the other El Cid properties. I really can not say enough good things about the place and especially all the staff who go out of their way to keep the hotel & grounds spotless and provide the most fabulous service. The wait staff at pool & beach side was great. A special mention to "Ramon", Tomas" & "Ivan" who are some of the best waiters I have ever had the pleasure to be served by! We went to all the a la carte restaurants and were pleased with the food quality but the Argentinian was my favorite! The buffet restaurant is what you should expect. There was enough variety to please most palates. The nightly shows were also very entertaining. I would highly recommend the Mexican Fiesta they offer Wednesday evenings. It was Awesome and really quite the experience. This was our third time to Mazatlan (& the El Cid) and believe me, we will return again next year!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. I am so flattered to hear such great feedback and that you were able to enjoy our facilities as well as the restaurants we have to offer. Yes the Argentinean is our crowd favorite. As far as the Dinner and show at La Pergola We always try and come up with new theme nights and shows so we can keep our guest wanting more and I’m glad you enjoyed them . Thank you for choosing El Cid to make your vacations an Unforgettable one and for coming back to us. We hope you keep coming back for more and make your visits even better each time.
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at El Cid Marina but went to restaurant at Granada. El Patio was enjoyable. Great atmosphere, but stay away from the rib eye. Everything else was great. Would not hesistate going back. Was hoping to see the Fiesta, but it was too windy the night we wanted to go – have heard nothing but good things about it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear: Sir

Thank you so much for your recent review and your nice words to El patio restaurant, Guest satisfaction is our top priority and it’s good to read that your stay reflects this well. I´m sad that you missed the Mexican party, I'm sure you would have a good impression.
Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments and we look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Kind Regards,

Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed 2 weeks all inclusive at the El Cid Granada just before Carnaval and enjoyed it very much. Convenient location and just over a pedestrian bridge to the beach. The a la carte restaurants were all pretty good, and we never had a problem getting a reservation, unlike other places we've stayed at. The Pergola buffet was fine for breakfast but we really enjoyed our lunches at the Alhambra overlooking the beach. Rooms were clean, airy and quiet, the pool on the Granada side was always peaceful, and rarely crowded - more "liveliness" was available across the bridge if you wanted it. Staff were always most attentive and helpful - the lobby bar at Castilla was enjoyable with live music quite often. Since we had access to the pools and restaurants on both sides, we received excellent value for money at the Granada - we'll be back in future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear: judy g

It was a pleasure to note how much you enjoyed your vacation and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty. We appreciate all feedback; but, especially enjoy reading about the great experiences we help make in Mazatlan. I am also glad to know that you enjoyed our all inclusive, our convenient location, and the staff was helpful and corteous.

We work very hard and take pride in insuring proper service to all our guest. We will pass along your wonderful experience to our employees as a job well done.

Warm greetings,

Delta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at El Cid Granada from Jan 25 – Feb 1st with our 7 year old daughter. When we initially arrived to the front desk, they were quick to check us in and gave us all of our information. The room and the hotel was a bit dated, but we knew that when we booked. We could’ve paid more to stay at the Castilla or El Moro, but we figured that we wouldn’t be in our room much anyway!

Everything in the room worked, the beds were actually quite comfy, and were cleaned every day that we wanted them to be. We had a long counter in our room which was in front of the kitchenette - a fridge, stovetop & sink - and the counter was great for our daughter to be able to colour & do a bit of homework.

Staying on the Granada side, most everything in terms of bars and food are on the Castilla/El Moro side, but they are all connected by a walkway. However, saying that, we really enjoyed having breakfast at El Patio on the Granada side. You can order what you want, it’s fresh, and the restaurant is quiet, not like eating at a buffet! And…you may have a few iguanas to look at while you’re eating – it was great!

We did go out to a couple different restaurants in town, which was great to have a bit of a variety, and it's nice that everything is very accessible from the hotel.

We spent most days at the pools at Castilla and El Moro and there were always waiters to bring you drinks right to your chair. The pools were heated (we’ve been to Cuba the last couple years…so it was a nice change!).

We did go downtown Mazatlan to the market on the Monday we were there…and let me tell you – that is an experience, especially when making sure your 7 year old is still with you! They were quite aggressive, and it was very busy! Apparently Monday is when the locals also go downtown to get their groceries for the week. I would maybe recommend going not on a Monday! The next day, we found the nice markets just down the road from the hotel just past Costa de Oro…much calmer!

All in all, it was a great trip and if you book at El Cid Granada, you will not be disappointed with the service! Enjoy! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear: BCSunseeker76

I want to express my thanks in your recent review, this is very grateful for me and my team to know that you expend a 7 wonderful day with your daughter.
We are so happy to read that you enjoyed our restaurants, the rooms, and the other 2 hotels;

I’m so proud to offer a great service in each one of them.
A quality guest centered service is one of our core values (best practices) and we strive to achieve this by our excellent quality service, a friendly staff and a very responsive management team. Our hope is that this guest response has lulled the agitated minds of potential vacationers to El Cid El Granada and will make it easier to choose the hotel as their vacation destination while on Mazatlan.

Please let us know the next time you’re coming to the sunniest city in Mexico so we can take good care of you at our hotel, hopefully, for a longer stay.

Cordially,

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I spent four weeks at the gracious, spacious Granada being hosted by Daniel and his team.
The rooms are large, airy, with lots of light...clean linens every day. The pool with it's Roman statues and aqueduct structures work even when the weather was a little chilly. The El Patio restaurant right on the premisis have friendly bi linqual waiters always glad to see us.
The activities director, Christian, taught a one hour class in Spanish every day customized to the two or three of us in the class. We played Mexican lotteria and drilled each other on days of the week and months of the year.
Everyone is very welcoming and friendy.

Room Tip: In back if you are afraid of noise. Near front for convenience
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear: MZT-travel

We are happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay with your husband during 4 wonderful weeks, thank you for let us know you found the hotel in general good and friendly staff, etc. We pride ourselves on creating the utmost outstanding warm, comforting stay for each and every guest. I'm so pleased to see so many people enjoying our home and so pleased you have good memories to carry with you!!

I will make sure that your experience is shared with all of the hotel staff. I forwarded your comment to Daniel and staff, Christian from activities department, who will then mention it in their departmental meetings.

Should your travel bring you back to Mazatlan we hope that El Cid El Granada Hotel is your first choice as it would be our pleasure to have you as our guest again for another seamless stay.

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Granada Country Club? Share your experiences!