“Beautiful hostel, great people and excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars

You added Funky Monkey Hostel to your Saves list
Funky Monkey Hostel
Cerro Boludo 112, Lomas de Mazatlan, Mazatlan, Mexico   |
Sayulita, Mexico
“Beautiful hostel, great people and excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We found this spot online and the directions given on website were very useful since taxi drivers do not know the side streets well. We arrived at the hostel and were welcomed with open arms at the gate by the owner, Salem, who showed us around and let us choose our spot. We went for 1 of the private bungalow rooms next to the pool, it was clean, spacious and private. Salem was an amazing host, he took us all the have a cookout on the beach, out to nightclubs, to meet friends and showed us all around town. The only downside was the water issues at the house which have since been taken care of but Salem went out of his way to get us all a hot shower and make sure we were all as comfortable as possible. Great central location in safe neighborhood, great family meals available and enough to do within walking distance to keep you busy for weeks. We have recommended it to all other travelers we have come across and everyone has loved it, and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hostel_FunkyMonkey, Owner at Funky Monkey Hostel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
It was such a pleasure having you guys stay with us and thank you so much for all the people you brought to the hostel by telling them about your stay. Also thank you for being so understanding about the water issue. It is Mexico and things do happen that we have no control of.
You are missed. I hope you have a great trip and please please come back and visit all your friends at Funky Monkey Hostel soon.

Don Mono

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I am a cycling tourist who went through Mazatlan and spent a week staying with Salem at his WONDERFUL hostel there. We went out dancing and to the Mazatlan Festival; I ran barefoot on the sandy beach every other day that is like a 10 minute relaxed stroll away from the hostel; I went swimming in the backyard swimming pool. Salem knows how to run a hostel for the comfort and relaxation of all. Definitely the best place to stay if you are in town!

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Lucas :-) We all had a blast meeting you and a few adventures too. Like our adventure finding and trying brain and tongue tacos. Great time. Thanks so much for making those great videos too.
Good luck on your bicycle trip from Mexico to Panama, it sounds epic and I'm sure your going to have a blast and meet lots of cool people.
Come back soon mate.

Auburn, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was my first stay at a Hostel and it was awesome. I would definitely come back. The people were great and the place was very clean. There was purified water for guests. The owner gave us a personal tour of town and sights. The Hostel was in a great location, within walking distance of shops and restaurants. Thanks for the awesome time! Weeble Wobble!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hostel_FunkyMonkey, Owner at Funky Monkey Hostel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Weeble Wooble right back at you bro.
So glad to have met you and I know we'll see you back here just as soon as you can make it. Funky Monkey Hostel.
That was a fun day out touring the city. I don't get to do it often with our guest but I always have fun when I do.
Thanks for the David Sunflower Seeds :-)

Owner and Operator of the Funky Monkey Hostel in Mazatlan mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

To say this place was great is an understatement! I have been coming to Mazatlan for over 10 years and there have never been any real hostels until The Funky Monkey. All the other Hostels are actually hotels clamming to be Hostels. The staff was so friendly, helpful and caring that you feel right at home. The house is amazing with a wonderful pool and waterfall in the back yard with a gate opening to a beautiful local park. the house is very spacious and new with tall ceilings, lots of room, a cozy living room with cable TV and the internet always worked very good which is a pet-peeve of mine. They have a large selection of books that are for everyone's use and a big, overly equipped kitchen. The house was always spotless. There is a wonderful roof top chill area with hanging beds; a wonderful place to sun bath or watch the stars and have a drink. I would recommend this hostel to anyone coming to Mazatlan. I had a great time and made lots of good friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thanks so much for your review Bella and for mentioning how much you enjoyed our staff. They are the ones that really make peoples stay at the Funky Monkey Hostel amazing so I love to hear complements about them and they really deserve it. Thank you :-)
We will always have fast wifi, its a pet-peeve of mine too, and now we even have Apple TV so lots of Netflix and youtube options.
I know we'll meet again.

Owner and Operator of the Funky Monkey Hostel in Mazatlan mexico
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I found my stay in Funky Monkey to be one of the best hostels Ive ever been to, and I have ben in quite a few of them.
The atmosphere there was spectacular, both the staff and other guests were friendly, and after just a few minutes I felt like one of the group. There was common cooking, exchanging of stories, and good parties in Mazatlan.

I recommend Funky Monkey to everyone!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the sterling review Pawel.
We really try to make peoples stay as special as possible. After all we may only get one chance and its always a pleasure to make someone happy, especially when they are traveling the world and really are counting on enjoying themselves and the countries they are visiting.
So thank you so much for enjoying your stay with Funky Monkey Hostel and I hope the rest of your trip is even better.

Owner and Operator of Funky Monkey Hostel in Mazatlan Mexico
Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed around 4 nights and I can say it was awesome. The place is really clean, is located near the main street in the city and near the coast so you can have a walk down the beach pretty easy. The rooms are very spacious, clean and comfortable, common areas are big and very clean too. I totally recommend this hostel, mexican or foreign foes!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Alex!!!! :-) So glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Funky Monkey Hostel.
Thanks for the great review.
Don't be a stranger and please come back and visit us soon. Your not too far away to come more often.
I hope your Semana Santa was epic and maybe you can come for it next time. but please send me a message on our facebook page: Funky Monkey Hostel first because we fill up very fast.
See you soon my friend,

El Destello Blanco (inside joke)
Owner and Operator of the Funky Monkey Hostel in Mazatlan Mexico
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Talk about a great find!! Salem has an awesome place with a great feel! Just a short walk to everything. In a quiet clean and safe neighbourhood. This is now my destination of choice when I come to Mazatlan! Thanks Salem for everything! You are on to something great!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Im so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Funky Monkey Hostel.
Its always great to read reviews like yours and know that people are enjoying all our hard work.
Please come and visit again soon.

Owner and Operator of the Funky Monkey Hostel in Mazatlan Mexico

Been to Funky Monkey Hostel? Share your experiences!