“Fabulous Mazatlan” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Langley City, Canada
“Fabulous Mazatlan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

We had a wonderful holiday at El Rancho. This was our 2nd stay in 3 years and I wouldn't hesitate to go again. There were 7 of us ranging in age from 17 to 75 years and we felt safe the entire time. The villa we stayed in was lovely, comfortable and clean. The staff were friendly and very helpful and did not hesitate to help us with anything.
El Rancho is a peaceful bit of paradise located outside the Golden Zone which is only a short bus trip away.

Room Tip: We stayed seadside which costs a little more but poolside villas also look very nice.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

340 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Where to begin?? ….. I travel extensively on timeshare exchanges and this was my worst resort stay ever! So bad, that I wanted to cut my vacation short and get the heck out of there! It definitely is not the quality of others within the Interval International system and definitely not what I expected. Basically it is a hostel in a tropical setting on a great stretch of Cerritos Beach with fabulous sunsets. I felt so uncomfortable in my unit that I never even unpacked my suitcases during my one-week stay.

The units are 25+ years old and inside they look it - the counter tops, tile, furniture, lamps and fixtures are all very dated. The units are dark, stuffy and smelly. The remodeling they brag about is basically putting newer appliances in each unit. The modern high-rises surrounding not only block the afternoon sun, they make you wish you were staying in one of them. The resort is small, which is fine, but there is absolutely nothing to do onsite – no activities at all - just the small restaurant and palapa bar, which was usually unattended except for the ever-present timeshare salesman sitting there. Granted I was traveling solo, but I have no problems joining in with others socially.

The only items in the bathroom were a bar of soap, two towels and a bath mat (no washcloths, no toiletries, no hair-drier, nothing). The shower head was rusted and corroded, and the water came out brown for the first minute. There were lots of dead bugs visible in the bathroom light fixtures, the skylights were disgusting and you could see daylight around the vents, A dead spider on the shower floor in the 2nd bathroom stayed there my whole stay – even though the maids “cleaned” every day.

In the kitchen there was a daily parade of ants on the counter (they said they don’t use pesticides inside but would spray outside??). Utensils were rusted (can opener, veg peeler, corkscrew) as was the rack holding the “purified” water jug. Kitchen walls, light switches, exposed oven fan were all very gross and grimy. I had to request a microwave to be put in my unit. Wine glasses/corkscrews must be special at this resort because I was told they couldn’t give me any for my room?? (The timeshare salesman arranged for them to be sent to me.)

When I asked if I could move to an ocean-front room that was unoccupied, I was told by the timeshare salesman it might be arranged if I purchased. I looked at it, and it was no different than my unit other than it was hotter from the afternoon sun – but you could hear the waves. It is hard to avoid the timeshare guys – they are basically hanging around onsite all day – and this is a very small resort so you have nowhere to go to get away from them. I was approached to purchase four straight days in a row – each day a different “deal” – really, have you looked at what you're trying to sell? The beach vendors are allowed on the property so there is the constant parade of interruptions when you are trying to relax. The pool is not chlorinated or heated, had a film floating on the top and is shaded mid-day, so it is way too cold at this time of the year.

One thing that did help get me through …… Winston makes fabulous margaritas at the bar and they are very inexpensive!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Portland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This used to be a quiet beautiful place that you could depend on......alas no more. It is badly in need of repairs. Biggest problem now is the on site manager. We were there this past month and during our stay he rented out half of the entire place to a bus load of sixty young adults and gave them free rein of the place. They were blasting their music until 4am each day and refused to turn it down. Even though about ten of us complained to the manager he just laughed and said they were having fun. The front desk was exasperated but said the group was friends of the manager so nothing could be done. Hopefully the owner will take a interest and realize how bad this manager is. Also the pool is not heated as promised and was freezing cold, the wi-fi around the pool was not working, the cable TV has only three american stations now and pretty much every promise and expected upgrade to the property has never been done......very disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
ElRanchoMzt, Guest Relations Manager at Villas El Rancho Green Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear 22SavvyTraveler,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. We sincerely apologize, because as you say the manager did not act at all according to El Rancho policy. At El Rancho, our primary goal is to provide you with a relaxing and peaceful vacation, and the manager did not enforce that. He has been severely reprimanded, and we would like to offer you free nights on a future vacation with us in order to make up for the part of your vacation that was affected by the group of young adults. Please contact the reservations office. Also, we would like to make clear that even if a manager is doing something that is contrary to the spirit of El Rancho, you can request that the staff contact the owner in order for the situation to be dealt with.

We promise that we will always preserve El Rancho as the place where you can enjoy true relaxation and a peaceful vacation, and we look forward to seeing you many times in the future.

Edmonton, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed at the Villas El Rancho from January 18 - 23, 2012 and we were not at all happy with this hotel. We were scheduled to stay for 10 days but gladly left early and moved to the Golden Zone.

This place is 25 years old and in dire need of a total facelift. Our unit was very musty, smelly and dirty. The kitchen was disgusting with a fridge that was totally rusted out both inside and out. The bathroom had rust and mold everywhere. The towels are all grey and stained. It is very humid at this location due to all the vegetation and the bed sheets, towels and even your clothes are always damp.

This is a timeshare property mainly and you will be bugged from when you check in and daily by the four timeshare reps that work there. Be prepared.

It is very quiet with absolutely nothing going on. The two adjoining high rises block the sun around noon so the pool area is shaded. The pool is not heated and the hot tub is lukewarm and the hot tub at the beach has no water in it. Once it's dark the place is deserted and the lights are off around 9:00 pm. It is very far from downtown although bus service is good right out the door.

The restaurant has good meals with good service. The office staff and manager are wonderful and provide excellent service but they are very limited to what they can do In a very aging property that seems to only want to sell timeshares.

In closing I would like to say that the manager did everything he could do to get us to stay but once we were firm on telling him that we wanted to leave he was very accommodating. Too bad he has to deal with the complaints resulting from such a run down place that simply needs a total overhaul.....top to bottom.

Room Tip: You need to be in a poolside unit to be able to get Internet reception.......which is intermittent
Dear Aliceb5,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

We do admit that there is a lot of humidity - we are directly on the beach, after all, and our villas are at ground level and open directly on the lush tropical gardens. In all honesty, clothes and linens may be a little damp, but we've never had guests complain about it. Of course, some people prefer to be in a sterile tower, not actually close to nature, and so they don't value what El Rancho offers.

We are serious about offering a peaceful and relaxing environment for your vacation. That does mean that we don't encourage a lot of "night life" (although all of the Golden Zone's attractions are only 10 minutes away). It also means that we don't want you to feel pestered, and we apologize if you felt bothered by the timeshare representatives. Unfortunately, the timeshare culture in Mazatlan is something we have to fight against, but we will continue to instruct our representatives to respect the peace of our guests.

We're glad that you appreciated our restaurant, and we're sorry that the beachfront hot tub was under repair while you visited.

Nutley, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I did read below that it was a private beach with no vendors and was very happy to have seen that...well that is incorrect information because the vendors park themselves right on their stairs! I couldn't sit out and relax. At the pool there is about 2 hours of sun during the day. We turned down there timeshare offer and after that I just felt uncomfortable. Other guests told us they just keep after you. The landscape is very well mantained. BUT, the villas are OLD Mexio! Clean and no smell in ours but, nothing is updated in them.

Dear Zurealsoon,

Thank you for sharing your comments.

We're sorry that you were uncomfortable with the vendors. We have always found them to be friendly and respectful, and we provide our private beach area where they are not allowed to enter so that you can enjoy yourself in peace.

I also want to reassure you that we value our regular guests, and that we do not want to pressure anyone to buy a membership/timeshare. We do offer memberships because many of our guests want to take advantage of the many extra benefits both in savings and expanded options for vacations, but we understand that some people are not interested and we respect that.

We're glad that you appreciated our beautiful tropical gardens and beach. We will always maintain our villas clean and in good order, and we think that Old Mexico has great charm. We freely admit that El Rancho is not "new and shiny," and that's how we like it. We want to offer our guests a taste of Old Mexico that is very difficult to find in the modern world.

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I stayed here with family and friends and is the most wonderful place to spent time.... Neatness place ever with the most relaxing atmosphere by the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really highly recommed this place to everyone that vistits Mexico it is peaceful and have never heard issues about this exciting Hote.....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

My best friend and I decided to visit Mazatlan on a "ladies only" vacation so we could catch up with each other's busy lives. We were looking for a nice quiet place and we found it at Villas El Rancho! Our villa was WONDERFUL! It was a two story oceanfront condo! We each had our own bedroom and bathroom in addition to a nicely sized living room, kitchen and dining area. The beds were very comfortable and the decorations were rustic and beautiful. The first thing you notice upon arrival is the lush foilage of the tropical garden that is beautifully landscaped.The second thing you notice is the helpful staff. Everything was nice and clean (even the beach) and the staff all take pride in their work. Everyone was wonderful and went out of their way to make us feel at home. The restaurant La Fonda served delicious food (Tip: The staff knows what they are talking about so eat whatever they recommend and you won't be displeased!) and daily happy hour at the bar was fun too! After we relaxed and caught up with each other in this peaceful setting, the helpful staff recommended places for us to visit and arranged for safe transportation to and from various sites in Mazatlan. We spent a little over a week at this wonderful resort and decided the next time we might even let the families join us! I totally recommend The Villas el Rancho for anyone looking for a nice, clean and safe place to visit!

Room Tip: The Oceanfront rooms are truly right on the beach but the poolside rooms are nicely placed too if yo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Villas El Rancho Green Resort? Share your experiences!