“Private Paradise! Excellent vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

Villas El Rancho Green Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Sabalo Cerritos 3140, Mazatlan 82100, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 74 hotels in Mazatlan
Columbus, Ohio
“Private Paradise! Excellent vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

My best friend and I decided to visit Mazatlan on a "ladies only" vacation so we could catch up with each other's busy lives. We were looking for a nice quiet place and we found it at Villas El Rancho! Our villa was WONDERFUL! It was a two story oceanfront condo! We each had our own bedroom and bathroom in addition to a nicely sized living room, kitchen and dining area. The beds were very comfortable and the decorations were rustic and beautiful. The first thing you notice upon arrival is the lush foilage of the tropical garden that is beautifully landscaped.The second thing you notice is the helpful staff. Everything was nice and clean (even the beach) and the staff all take pride in their work. Everyone was wonderful and went out of their way to make us feel at home. The restaurant La Fonda served delicious food (Tip: The staff knows what they are talking about so eat whatever they recommend and you won't be displeased!) and daily happy hour at the bar was fun too! After we relaxed and caught up with each other in this peaceful setting, the helpful staff recommended places for us to visit and arranged for safe transportation to and from various sites in Mazatlan. We spent a little over a week at this wonderful resort and decided the next time we might even let the families join us! I totally recommend The Villas el Rancho for anyone looking for a nice, clean and safe place to visit!

Room Tip: The Oceanfront rooms are truly right on the beach but the poolside rooms are nicely placed too if yo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

340 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Vancouver,BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I stayed here with relatives in Jan 2012 and feel I have to let other prospective visitors know that El Rancho is really not like it looks in the website photos and quite frankly very poor value for the money spent. I do not know how they can be rated # 4 in Mazatlan.We were really disappointed with most of it. Where to start? Our biggest complaint is one that I don't think can be fixed.The overpowering smell in the unit was terrible! I think that this place has been flooded out a few times given how close it is to the beach.It was a cross between mold
and insecticide.My brother in law washed the floor with a bleach solution himself and he said the floor was not dirty but could not get rid of the smell.We would have moved but all of the units are like that and he knows because he looked at several of them to try to find one that smelled OK.I don't think that a lot can be done to improve this other than demolition and rebuilding.It is a dark and dank very old place and everything is well worn with really only basic amenities. The staff are quite cordial and I feel badly for them because they are trying
and wonder why no one returns for a second visit.The gardens are well kept and very tropical but towers on either side shade the pool area except at midday which does not help. The coconut trees are dangerous and should be trimmed of their large coconuts. One fell right on the path in our garden seconds before my husband walked there. It could
have killed him.I noticed other large coconut palms near units as well. I could go on about the shortcomings but these are the main concerns. We are not overly demanding in our needs but will definitely not be returning here.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
ElRanchoMzt, Guest Relations Manager at Villas El Rancho Green Resort, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Dear Aircanadagirl,

Thank you for sharing your comments.

We're very sorry that you felt that there was a disagreeable smell in your room. In all honesty, we're surprised and confused, because we maintain a very high level of cleanliness in our villas, and we have not received complaints from any of our guests, but we certainly respect your opinion. Please do understand, however, that your standards are different than any of our other guests.

We're glad that you appreciated our staff. We're very proud of the service that we provide our guests, and we'll share your compliment with our staff.

I'd also like to point out that, contrary to your opinion, the great majority of our guests are people who come back, because they have experienced the relaxing atmosphere of El Rancho, and can't resist coming back!

It is true that there are condominium towers on both sides of El Rancho, as in most of Mazatlan. That's part of what makes El Rancho unique - our small size and individual villas. However, only one of those towers gives shade to our pool area, and only for an hour or two. None of our guests seem to mind that, given that we offer two heated jacuzzis and that our beach area, which is always sunny, always has plenty of room.

We're sorry that you felt that the coconuts are dangerous. It's not every resort that can offer fresh coconuts and coconut milk from the trees in their own tropical gardens, and we're proud to offer that authentic touch. We do harvest the coconuts regularly, but we don't cut them before they are ripe. If it helps to calm your fears, we haven't had a single person hurt by a falling coconut since El Rancho was built (and we guarantee that they're not deadly!).

Our desire is for every guest to be fully satisfied with their vacation with us. If there's anything we can do for you, please contact us directly.

In the meantime, we'll continue providing great service and the uniquely relaxing atmosphere that makes all our other guests rave about us! :)

Larry Flathmann
Guest Relations Manager
Anaheim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We had a wonderfully relaxing vacation at Villas El Rancho Green Resort, where we stayed for a week at the end of November 2011. Since it was my first time staying at this resort, I didn't know what to expect.The resort was absolutely beautiful and was very peaceful with beautiful tropical gardens. Each villa had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen, living room, dining room and was just steps from a pool and the beach. I liked the idea of not having a phone in the villas, which made my vacation quite relaxing. Every night, I could hear the waves while I drifted off to sleep. It was so soothing. Everyone at the resort was very nice. Whenever I had a question or needed help with something, there was always someone available to assist me. I want to thank everyone at Villas El Rancho Green Resort for making my stay enjoyable. I especially want to thank Isabel and Wiston for their assistance, services, friendliness, and for always having a smile on their face whenever I saw them. I plan to return to the resort in the near future. Thank you again! :-)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
gomez
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

We had a wonderful getaway in mid-september at el rancho. It's a very peaceful and cozy resort; the best of all is nature, tropical gardens are all around the place.
The beach was just a few steps from our villa. No more boring elevators!
Staff is very friendly and kind. We loved Winston the bartender, so gentle.
Mazatlan is great too, we had no violence or crime issues.
Loved mazatlan and el rancho!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Cleveland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Couldnt believe when I saw the "good" reviews... Its an old place, ocean front, but full of bugs, the place is NOT like the pictures they show online...Its old and a dirty place.... Just walking to the beach I saw at the restaurant stairway a big something in the floor... when I turned to see more clearly, it was a rat going up... couldnt believe it! We got out of there right away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
ElRanchoMzt, Guest Relations Manager at Villas El Rancho Green Resort, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear Onno,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

We have to admit that because our tropical gardens fill up so much of the resort, that there are some bugs and wildlife as well, but the only comment we've heard from our other guests is how much they liked watching the iguanas. Since we keep the villas clean and also spray regularly, we haven't received any reports of problems with bugs inside the villas.

If we did not come through on anything that we advertised, we will gladly make it up to you. However, since TripAdvisor is not able to verify that the people who submit reviews actually stayed at the resort, we just ask that you contact us directly (our contact info is in our TripAdvisor listing) to provide us proof of when you stayed and what sort of problems you had.

We'd also like to let everyone know that if you would like to verify the current condition of our resort, we can take photos and send them to you, and you can verify the timestamp of the files. Of course they won't be professional quality photos, but we have nothing to hide and would be glad to settle any doubts that anyone may have.

Larry Flathmann
Guest Relations Manager
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

i loved this hotel i think is the best option, the service of this hotel was excellent from the first moment we arrived, the green area is awesome, the pool is really big, i had a great time with my family we enjoyed it a lot, i hope to stay one more time in this hotel, i think is the best option for travelers. :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Colorado Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Best place i couldn't have chosen to spend my vacation, totally recommended!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Villas El Rancho Green Resort? Share your experiences!