“disappointed in lack of basic service” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free parking
Ranked #37 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Vancouver, Canada
“disappointed in lack of basic service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I recently was booked into the Olas Atls Hotel in Mazatlan. I was there on business with a group for a week and basically needed a simply reasonable place to sleep and eat. Upon arrival the hotel, pool, and rooms were definately smaller than made to appear in the web pictures. But too be fair many hotels awalys look better in carefully taken pictures. Check in was fine and uneventful, the bellhop took my bags up to my room ( nice ocean view with a small balcony ) and he showed me how to setup the air conditioner (no rocket science, but definately needed there ) and all was fine at that point. I began an initial business meeting and returned later in the evening. I was somewhat disapointed that the air conditioner wasn't blowing at leat cool air, but found enough comfort with the cieling fan located over the king bed. The room was supposed to be a delux room however I really wondered about that with only one bath and hand towel and no face cloth. Even the cheapest hotels or motels now adays have a couple of each towel at least. Whatever I am not a messy person so I got through it o.k.

The next evening I returned at 8:45 PM and opted to have a drink and dinner in the restaurant/bar ( fairly nicely laid out with a street front patio ). I recieved my drink and a menu, and a few minutes later ( just before 9:00 PM ) the waiter came along and took back the menu informing me that the restaurant was now closing but the bar would still be open for another hour. O.K. no dinner.....so I asked the waiter if he could recommend another place to eat and he told me he would talk to the front staff and find me some suggestions. A while passed and no response, so I asked another waiter from the bar ( still open ) and again the same thing. Yet a third time and finally a forth. I guess all they wanted me to do was drink all night, however I remained responsible and decided to go to the front desk and ask myself. I first asked if I could get room service as the restaurant was closed, " no room service here, the restaurant opens at 9:00 AM " . O.K. I am getting the picture that food must be hunted down and probably cooked on the beach. I asked if they had any recommendations, but from the response it sounded like the whole city closed at 9:00 PM except for bars and clubs. I finally went out to the street in disqust and flagged down a taxi that found a small restaurant for me a few blocks away.

I called my credit card company to tell them I would not be staying my full duration and the details why, and guess what ? They offered to send a taxi that night and move me to another hotel. All because a hotel won't do their job and offer the basic services ? Don't feel you are stuck with bad service, if you can't solve it then contact your trip planner or credit card company and you will be surprised at what they can do for you. Anyway I found a very nice bed and breakfast down the road ( I mean very nice ! great food, super clean and I literally could have made blocks of ice in my room as the air conditioning worked so well ! no word of a lie ). This wasn't a basic B+B either they had a bar and restaurant, small pool and great polite staff !

The Olas Atlas would have been o.k. to stay given it's short comings if only the staff had actually given the smallest amount of consideration to my needs for the basics ( like food ). With all the service in hotels now a days there is no excuse to have to put up with that. Of course unless you see comments on a particular hotel, then you don't know, but just don't put up with crap, notify your travel site or credit card company and they will assist you.

Room Tip: A good room is down the street at another hotel.............
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Our stayed at this hotel was pretty cool.
The service was great, the rooms were comfortable and very clean and spacious.
The have breakfast at the restaurant and the food was really good and they have a very good location, its almost in front of the beach you just have to cross the street. The beach is really nice and the weather was in our favor.
We really recommend this place, its good for couples, family or hanging out with your friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

The location was really nice, right across the street from beach. 40 peso taxi ride to el centro where you can buy Mexican gifts. 300 peso ride to airport. A/C worked well in rooms. We stayed in the executive suites where there was an added desk and fax machine.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

The first problem came when I paid for a drink with a 50 peso bill that had a microsopic tear on it and they refused to accept it! Second problem was when one of my two keys unprogrammed and after I went to the front desk to reprogram them. They sent a bellboy (prison guard) to assist me and when we went to the room he refused to return my two keys. He would only give me one. I had to call the front desk and advise them that the guard was refusing to give me back the other key. The key was subsequently sent to my room several minutes later. The third problem came after we returned from lunch with some leftovers. The same guard stopped us before getting on the elevator and stated that we could not have food in the room for health reasons. As we were being detained by the guard a waiter walked by with a food order that he was delivering to one of the rooms. I told the guard to call the federales and we went directly to our room (with the leftovers). The fourth problem came when we attempted to exchange our pool towel and were told that it could only be exchanged every two days. (nasty!) The fifth problem was that the free wireless was free but nonexistent. There was no wireless due to thunderstorms was the excuse. We were told that we were welcome to use the computers downstairs and when we did the computers would not even except their own password to log on. Once again, we were told that it was due to thunderstorms. (W) The sixth and final problem came everyday with a free wake-up call at 6am, due to the pounding out of the floor tiles next to the elevators which could be heard in the entire building.

Stayed July 2008
Mazatlan, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2007

I stayed at the Hotel Olas Altas, and I contacted the property directly and got $30 off the advertised rate. This location is great, as it is between the Golden Zone and the Historic part of Mazatlan.

It was a $4 cab ride from the bus station, and $25 to the airport.

It is located across the street from the ocean, and within easy walking distance to the Golden Zone. I took the air conditioned bus most of the time, and pulmonias the other time. It is 10 minutes or less to most of the places you want to visit.

I had a great time at the pool, as the beach had the red flags (Danger) up most of the time.

The restaurant food was above average, but the drink prices were very high. The happy hour was 6pm to 9pm for 2 for 1. a beer was 35 pesos, and a mixed drink was 44 pesos.

The room was very clean, and the view to the ocean was great. The staff was very helpful, and could communicate in basic English. The wireless internet was very fast, and I could access it from the pool area.

I would return to this hotel again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — You cant bring food or drinks to the hotel
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

Maybe it's because I am fluent, or perhaps there is some other reason, but I have never stayed at a more welcoming place in Sinaloa. I go often and the staff are wonderful, polite and super-attentive. The facilities are not resort quality, but they are clean and comfortable. The added bonuses are ocean views from the pool and bird watching behind the building (I am into that sort of thing). We've counted 42 species from the balcony of one of the rear-facing rooms. To my bird-watching friends back home, and much their collective chagrin, an often well timed phone call to rub in the latest species observed from the comfort of my hotel room frequently with beer in hand. Birding for relaxation-minded people (I think I'll offer that class at the local community college next year).

I have taken several friends from around the world and their experiences are identical to mine. I recommend it.

Disfruten!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Halifax, NS, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

The staff did not speak English . Only 2 people spoke any English, the manager and 1 bus boy/security guard. The best person on staff was the 1 bus boy/security guard he was nice and funny too. The manager on the other hand was rude and disrespectful to me and my guest. I had booked my room for 2 people but the manager refused to allow a 2nd person in the room simply because they were local. They treated my friend like he was a criminal with security hovering and waiting to escort him out. The manager refused to speak to me directly instead turning his back on me while giving me unreasonable excuses. At first insisting I had only booked for 1 person and not 2. Then when I said I had proof I booked for 2 people he said my friends name was not on the reservation. In fact the only name on the reservation was mine since I booked through an online travel agency and my name was the only one required. In the end I checked out early very dissatisfied with the overall service and quality for my money. I feel as though I was completely ripped off. I would NEVER stay there again nor would I suggest it to any singles or students looking for a fun vacation spot.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — management, security, policies, lack of quality service, not in the Golden Zone, not worth the price
  • Tips/Secrets — families with young children only, must speak Spanish or be able to read it.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Olas Altas Inn? Share your experiences!