“5-star hotel - beautiful surroundings, great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay

You added Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Ernesto Coppel Campana 201 | Camino Al Delfin, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Denver
“5-star hotel - beautiful surroundings, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

My fiancee and I stayed here for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year in 2006/2007. I’ve traveled all over the world and this was the best vacation I’ve ever had.

Why? Because the whole place is geared towards your satisfaction. (I have one or two gripes at the end of this review, just to let you know before I begin enthusing!)

First of all the rooms are great. The beds are comfortable and there is a pillow menu. The rooms are spacious, clean and airy. There was no trace of smoke. The small kitchenette was well-stocked and the little grocery store on-site was adequate for the few meals we had in the room.

The whole look and feel of the resort is fantastic – the grounds are wonderful and impeccably maintained. One morning we were walking early to breakfast, and there was a small stone pillar with a hollow top filled with sand; the staff had drawn a bird in flight in the sand. It’s a small thing, but it really showed the pride the resort takes in its appearance.

The pool is superb, but it can be pretty rowdy – a lot of families with kids, who roamed the pool splashing and being noisy. Still, I guess that’s what kids do. The water is not chlorinated, which is great because my eyes are allergic – it’s cleaned by reverse osmosis apparently.

The restaurant on site, La Cordeliere, served reasonably good food at slightly too-high prices. Not surprising really, it’s the only game in town – for other food you have to go off site and take a 10-minute shuttle to town. Some people complain about this, but we loved the solitude and peace of Nuevo Mazatlan. And the shuttle was no big deal, you just have to plan around it.

The deli sandwiches are great value – get one between two though, we couldn’t eat a whole one.

The bar is nice and not crowded. There was a very good pianist there a couple of nights; he was playing a wonderful tune one night that I somehow recognized… I finally realized it was a kind of ballad version of a Britney Spears track! Yikes. We laughed at that one for a while.

Timeshare (inevitably) is a big thing for them. We went there with an absolutely-no-chance-in-hell attitude to get our $200 in credit… and ended up buying. There was NO pressure whatsoever; it was relaxed and personal and we ended up becoming really good friends with the two young people who sold us our Presidential Suite. Both of us are pretty astute with cash and would never have bought unless a/ we loved the place, and b/ it made some kind of financial sense. To my great surprise, it really did – we ran the numbers carefully and figured in cost-opportunity and potential stock market performance and it didn't beat the market, but it wasn't a crippling cost either. Now we can’t wait to go back for Xmas week this year.

Do go to Mazatlan, and try the seafood anywhere – it’s some of the best I’ve ever had. Don’t bother with lobster – they’re small and a little tough, get shrimp instead.

One word of caution – we went fishing with the guy who had the contract to walk around the pool persuading people to go out. Although the fishing was great, and I caught a 6 foot striped marlin, don’t be tempted to get it stuffed unless you’re prepared to pay a LOT of money. I was quoted $800-$900 at the dock; once you figure in shipping and crating and so on it came in at nearly $2,000, which they don’t tell you.

To sum up: this is a wonderful location, the resort is superb and we hardly had anything go wrong.

GRIPES:

1.The walls are a little too thin. We could hear next room’s occupants sneezing.
2.No wireless in the rooms. They have to sort this out. Not good enough!
3.Pool crowded as Xmas came around, and everyone lays their towels out at 7am. Kind of annoying.
4.Movies on demand in the rooms are too expensive.

• Liked — The all-round experience - everything was great.
  • Disliked — No wireless internet access...
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

I have traveled to many Mexico beach resort hotels, but Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay is by far the best one. The hotel staff at the hotel go above and beyond making you feel like royalty. The hotel is very clean. The hourly shuttle to and from the hotel to the golden zone is a great asset. The food is pricey at the hotel, but you come to expect that from a great hotel. The hotel allows you to bring drinks, food, and other items into your room for your pleasure. The rooms have irons, satellite television, fridge, microwave, and stove. The rooms are excellent in size and beautiful view of the ocean. If you go out an eat at restrauants I recommend Capitan (seafood) located in the golden zone, Pedro and Lola (mexican) located in old mazatlan, and Panchos (for mexican/american food) located in the golden zone. Pedro and Lola is a must. Overall, the Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay and the City of Mazatlan is great place to visit and stay. I love the people of Mazatlan and plan on going to Mazatlan next year and staying at the Pueblo Emerald Bay

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

I was vacationing in Los Cabos and due to a Hurricane alert, we had to leave Los Cabos 4 days before our vacation was over. My wife and I were very disappointed and we were ready to head back home. Because of the hurricane, all the flights were either booked or cancelled; the only flight we could take out of Los Cabos was going to Mazatlán. We took that flight thinking we would fly home from Mazatlán the same day.

Once we arrived we decided to stay in Mazatlán for the remainder of our trip. We were not expecting much. We rented a car and I asked the car rental guy to recommend a good hotel. He immediately mentioned Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, as the best hotel in Mazatlán. He wasn't wrong.

**Location:
The hotel is in a new area of Mazatlán, very far from the airport and far from downtown too. I definitely recommend that you rent a car. You will not regret it. Cabs are not expensive, but having a car gives you more freedom and in the end, you'll save money for sure. If you don't rent a car, you might feel a little isolated.

**Hotel/Rooms/Property:
When we finally got to the hotel we were amazed. It's a beautiful and elegant hotel. Well kept and adorned with very good taste. It has very nice gardens. The rooms were very nice, and very clean. The room we got had a small kitchen with a stove, microwave and fridge. The bed was very comfortable and the room was kept clean every day. The pool area was amazing. It had a huge infinity pool, just awesome. They have a fitness area, but it wasn't that big or interesting. It had cardio machines mostly and one multi station for a quick workout. It also has a couple of tennis courts.
There is a Deli where they sell almost everything you may need. Snacks, toiletry, books, magazines, etc. Of course, it's more expensive than normal. So if you rent a car, you might want to go out of the hotel and buy your snacks in a local market. The Deli has 5 or 6 computers you can use for a small fee. They have wireless interntet available for free at the Deli.

The rooms are somewhat far from the lobby, but they have carts that will take you to your room. There can be a waiting period of 10 minutes sometimes. Not the fastest service, but the staff works hard to please and you can see they try to get to you as soon as possible.

**Service:
Very good service. Very attentive staff and they all speak enough English to get you whatever you need.

**Activities/Entertainment:
The pool staff does a very good job at organizing entertaining activities. They have pool volleyball (which can get very competitive), water polo, basket ball, Black Jack, bingo, etc.
Between the drinks at the pool bar and the activities in the pool, you can have a very fun and relaxing day.

At night....there's nothing. If you want to do something you have to go downtown. Mazatlán has a lot of restaurants and bars, but it's more party oriented, they cater more to the young crowds, so keep that in mind.

**Restaurants/Food:
The hotel has only one restaurant. The breakfast buffet is very good and not too expensive. They have a Deli, a Pool Bar and a Bar close to the lobby. There is not much to choose from, so I recommend you drive to town in your rental car and enjoy the very good seafood available in Mazatlán.

Mazatlán is not an expensive destination. You can have a good time and not spend a lot of money.

**Overall:
I recommend this hotel to people who want to relax. If you want to party every night, I think you should look for a hotel that is closer to Downtown. But if you want to stay at the best hotel in Mazatlán, Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay is the one to stay at.

There are two Pueblo Bonito Hotels in Mazatlán....The regular Pueblo Bonito and The Emerald Bay...the second one being the better of the two.

Rent a car, you won’t regret it.

I hope this review is helpful to you.

Have a great vacation.

• Liked — The hotel in general is very nice. Excellent pool area.
  • Disliked — Hotel is very far from Downtown and airport. Very limited entertainment options.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

Very few people would find Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay unattractive - on the outside. O.K., the grounds are well maintained and are attractive, that's usually always the case at any resort in Mazatlan. But I feel that travellers who choose to stay at PBEB are usually looking for something above the norm and that would include among other things exceptional service.

Admittedly, most of the employees are friendly and attentative. But not so with reservations. Examaple: We made a request to stay in January which was a very slow time, very low occupancy. We didn't origianlly have plans to visit that particular week but were in the area on other business so figured that it would be a good idea to use the resort since we had not used it for two years. So, I phoned and explained that I was in the area ... and was rudely denied. Th explanation was that I had just missed the 2006 deadline to use my week. It was not until I raised my voice and insisted that I get some use after I had paid maintenace dues for two years besides my purchase price that I was somewhat accomodated. I was given three days stay only if I accepted it as compensation for the usual seven days stay. Since we were already there and looking forward to finally getting some use I agreed to their terms.

Upon arrival we quickly noticed that after just several years that the tiles, sofa bed, and other furniture in the room were showing more than modest wear.

Food: The resort has a deli which sells pretty tasty sandwiches at fair prices. The breakfast buffet is delicious but boring after the second day since the food is almost the same everyday.

Internet: Wireless service is available in the deli, not near the pool or in your room . Only dial-up is available from your room.

All in all, PBEB is still a good place to stay but I do not recommend the purchase of the timeshare at their prices. Look elsewhere for a 50% discount . And If you do buy a timeshere do not expect any favors even though you would be an owner and the staff would actually be working for you.

• Liked — Appearance
  • Disliked — reservations staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

We returned to Emerald Bay the last week of May 2007 after visiting back in 2003. The resort has really grown and looks to be even better in the future. We stayed in a 1 Bedroom/2 bath with a King bed. It was really nice to have 2 bathrooms. We did not have a deck, but were told some of the 1 bd/2 bath rooms do.
Emerald Bay has a small spa now, and I had a wonderful facial. The products they used were top notch. The new 12,000 sq ft spa we were told will open December 1, 2007.
We prefer this resort to PB Mazatlan even though it is further from the Golden Zone. Emerald Bay is cleaner, the rooms are bigger and newer, and the resort can be quieter if you like with the choice of pools - one is smaller and seemed to be more adult oriented while the other was very large with tons of activities for both adults and children. The hourly shuttle to PB Mazatlan made it very easy to get around. Even if we missed the shuttle return which is also on the hour, we could bargain with the taxi drivers to take us back to Emerald Bay. The Emerald Bay staff were wonderful and always helpful. We thought we didn't have any dish soap and housekeeping visited our room within 10 minutes to show us where it was.
We like Mazatlan compared with Cabo San Lucas, because almost everything is half the price - dinner out, golf, taxi's, etc. I don't know when Emerald Bay's golf course will be completed, but my husband golfed at Estrella Del Mar which he tells me is very nice. There was a free shuttle to the golf course provided by Estrella Del Mar which husband picked up from PB Mazatlan.
As for the timeshare presentation, it is the most low pressure presentation I have ever attended, and we have been through a few. I did not want to do it, but my husband did. We were given $200 to spend on food and beverage for attending. We also saw the new villas they are building, which are absolutely gorgeous. We did end up buying a master suite, which is what we stayed in for this week. We've been having a harder and harder time trying to get into Pueblo Bonito with our RCI timeshare, and the timing was right for us to buy now. We've stayed in almost all of the PB's in both Cabo and Mazatlan and when we've had the choice, we'd stay in a PB over almost any other resort in Mexico.

• Liked — hotel accomodations
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Gatos, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

Emerald Bay has some amazing amenities, including the large pool area. But was really shocked by the large amount of black mold in the pool, most noteably right beneath the swim up bar area and the spa. This was so different from a couple of years ago when the pool was pristine!
We had to wait for almost an hour to get into our booked room even though there were not many checking in at that time. When you've traveled for over eight hours with children, one does not enjoy gettting the runaround getting into one's room. Yes, they did want you to book a time-share breakfast before they would let you into the room.
The reception desk was impossible to reach by our room phone much of the time because the call would go to another guest room. The reception people bordered on rude when asked to solve a problem. They would promise to get in touch with us, and then ended up ignoring us. Would have to go down to talk to them in person several times before problems resolved.
Found the restaurant there always extremely friendly, although on the first night they said they didn't have any space for us to sit outside in the patio dining area--a real disappointment.
The drinks ordered poolside , and the free drinks upon arrival contained no alcohol. The "happy hour" drinks have no alcohol either. I rarely drink, am extremely sensitive to any alcohol, and was sober as a judge with their "alcoholic" beverages! Oh, well, probably just as well.
Enjoyed the massage (Swedish) given. Very professional and competent. Surroundings great and surpassed expectations.
Grounds gorgeous as usual. Peacocks entertaining to our six year old granddaughter as well as all the flamingos and gecckos! The koy were fascinating also.
Rooms very clean! Everything worked! Room service very good.
Staff, except for the poor reception desk, was extremely helpful and friendly!

• Liked — Beautiful accommodations
  • Disliked — The reception desk
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Paradise, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

We stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay from May 7th to May 14th for a wedding we were attending there.
The grounds were large, well maintained and lush. The pool area is beautiful and has great pool-side food service. The fresh chicken tacos were a big hit with our group. We spent many afternoons laying in the pool having food and drinks brought to us - not a bad way to spend a day!
We got the smaller junior room, but it was roomy, very clean and had an excellent balcony with comfortable deck chairs for reading. We ordered room service one night and the food was brought to us within 25 minutes and the waiter set the table for us and presented us with our meal. The dinner was just okay, but the service was excellent. (I can't even get a pizza delivered to our house in 25 minutes when we're home.)
For those considering having a wedding at the hotel: DO. The hotel staff did a wonderful job. Our friends had a sunset wedding at the gazebo and it was beautiful. The hotel did a very classy, professional job hosting the wedding and the staff were extremely focused on service. Empty plates and extra glasses were taken away in a timely manner between the courses (without making you feel rushed), the food was excellent and arranged on the plate well and our wait person came to our table several times to see if I needed anything to drink.
There is only one negative to our entire stay, but it is worth mentioning:
Immediately upon our arrival to the hotel, within the first 5 minutes of being in the lobby, they were trying to get my husband and I to sign up for a time share breakfast presentation. The hotel staff were literally holding our luggage until we were herded over to the tables where their employees set up the appointment. We had just flown into Mazatlan, had ridden in an un-airconditioned cab to the hotel, we were hot and all we wanted to do was go to our room. To be cornered regarding a time share upon our arrival was very annoying and put us off. I told them that we were not interested, that we were only there to attend a wedding and that we wanted to be shown to our room immediately. For about four days the hotel staff left messages on our phone reminding us that we still hadn't made an appointment for the time share breakfast. They gave up trying after that.

• Liked — The pool-side service and food were very good. Beautiful pool area.
  • Disliked — The time share pitch given to us upon our arrival.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!