My fiancee and I stayed here for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year in 2006/2007. I’ve traveled all over the world and this was the best vacation I’ve ever had.
Why? Because the whole place is geared towards your satisfaction. (I have one or two gripes at the end of this review, just to let you know before I begin enthusing!)
First of all the rooms are great. The beds are comfortable and there is a pillow menu. The rooms are spacious, clean and airy. There was no trace of smoke. The small kitchenette was well-stocked and the little grocery store on-site was adequate for the few meals we had in the room.
The whole look and feel of the resort is fantastic – the grounds are wonderful and impeccably maintained. One morning we were walking early to breakfast, and there was a small stone pillar with a hollow top filled with sand; the staff had drawn a bird in flight in the sand. It’s a small thing, but it really showed the pride the resort takes in its appearance.
The pool is superb, but it can be pretty rowdy – a lot of families with kids, who roamed the pool splashing and being noisy. Still, I guess that’s what kids do. The water is not chlorinated, which is great because my eyes are allergic – it’s cleaned by reverse osmosis apparently.
The restaurant on site, La Cordeliere, served reasonably good food at slightly too-high prices. Not surprising really, it’s the only game in town – for other food you have to go off site and take a 10-minute shuttle to town. Some people complain about this, but we loved the solitude and peace of Nuevo Mazatlan. And the shuttle was no big deal, you just have to plan around it.
The deli sandwiches are great value – get one between two though, we couldn’t eat a whole one.
The bar is nice and not crowded. There was a very good pianist there a couple of nights; he was playing a wonderful tune one night that I somehow recognized… I finally realized it was a kind of ballad version of a Britney Spears track! Yikes. We laughed at that one for a while.
Timeshare (inevitably) is a big thing for them. We went there with an absolutely-no-chance-in-hell attitude to get our $200 in credit… and ended up buying. There was NO pressure whatsoever; it was relaxed and personal and we ended up becoming really good friends with the two young people who sold us our Presidential Suite. Both of us are pretty astute with cash and would never have bought unless a/ we loved the place, and b/ it made some kind of financial sense. To my great surprise, it really did – we ran the numbers carefully and figured in cost-opportunity and potential stock market performance and it didn't beat the market, but it wasn't a crippling cost either. Now we can’t wait to go back for Xmas week this year.
Do go to Mazatlan, and try the seafood anywhere – it’s some of the best I’ve ever had. Don’t bother with lobster – they’re small and a little tough, get shrimp instead.
One word of caution – we went fishing with the guy who had the contract to walk around the pool persuading people to go out. Although the fishing was great, and I caught a 6 foot striped marlin, don’t be tempted to get it stuffed unless you’re prepared to pay a LOT of money. I was quoted $800-$900 at the dock; once you figure in shipping and crating and so on it came in at nearly $2,000, which they don’t tell you.
To sum up: this is a wonderful location, the resort is superb and we hardly had anything go wrong.
1.The walls are a little too thin. We could hear next room’s occupants sneezing.
2.No wireless in the rooms. They have to sort this out. Not good enough!
3.Pool crowded as Xmas came around, and everyone lays their towels out at 7am. Kind of annoying.
4.Movies on demand in the rooms are too expensive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Each suite comes with a panoramic ocean view from your private balcony and has amenities like outdoor Jacuzzis, a beauty salon with mini-spa and tennis courts nearby. Relax below 150-year-old mangroves that surround a free-form pool and stroll the shoreline by the bay. Located next world famous sport fishing waters, golf courses, and the Gold Zone, you can enjoy any number of nearby activities on both land and water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, BookIt.com, BookingOdigeoWL, getaroom.com, Priceline, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay Hotel Mazatlan
- Mazatlan Emerald Bay
- Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay Mazatlan
- Emerald Bay Mazatlan