“Loved our time in Mazatlan” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Ernesto Coppel Campana 201 | Camino Al Delfin, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Bay area, Ca
“Loved our time in Mazatlan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at the PBEB in Aug. it was our first time to Mazatlan and to any of the Pueblo Bonito resorts. We stayed from the 8/5- 8/10. We were very impressed with the resort. I was traveling with my Mom, Husband, and our 11 month old son.

Check-in/Front desk --- Driving to the resort from the Airport was about a bit of a drive. Not bad though, once we got to PBEB we were taken in by the beauty of it. The staff at the front desk was great, got us all checked in. Then sent us to the "time-share" table. We knew it was coming and for the discount on the room tap wanted to do it so it did not bother us very much. We then were taken by cart to our room, and a small tour of the resort. Once we got to the room however they were still cleaning it !! The maid was inside as was the person before us trash. The cart driver called the front desk and they were going to move us to a less desirable location, but I insisted on being left there. Instead they paid for us to go have lunch by the pool while they finished cleaning. 2 hours later we were in our room. We had some issues with them not c

ROOM-- We got a master suite. It was HUGE. A bedroom with two beds, both a bit stiff. A HUGE nice bathroom, with tub and overhead shower. It also had another full shower/bathroom in the hallway. Then the living room had a kitchenette and a fold out sofa, also a table. The view was amazing. We actually spent lot of time on the balcony reading. My son had a good time wandering around. I will say the place has A LOT of tile which is not very friendly for a little one trying to learn to walk, but not the resorts fault. We had a few problems with them not getting back to us about special request, but once we asked for a manager of the front desk everything was fine. We set up cake to be delivered for my husband's birthday, and strawberries and champange to be delivered for my Mom's which was also a day later. We also set up a romantic meal on the beach for my husband and myself which was amazing.

Grounds-- Simply amazing. Nothing more to be said. The pool is amazing, big enough that it is not TOO crowded. We did the fiesta on site one night, great waiters. The food was just okay, but the dancers were fun.

Town-- We went into town three times. Took the bus to the sister resort in the downtown area. We at the Italian place there and had a great meal. Another trip we took a cab all over town in the open air cabs. The drivers in front of the sister resort were offering us deals. He stopped where we wanted, and took us around for two hours for $40.00 total. We loved the church and the square there, and it was nice to hear about the history there.

Timeshare Breakfast-- great breakfast, full selection. We went in thinking we would not buy, just get the discount. Came out owners, we negotiated a great deal, and did not feel pushed into anything at all. We are trading one of our weeks to go to PB Sunset Beach in Cabo this year. So glad we did this because not sure we would be able to afford it otherwise.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

we stayed from 1/10/09 to 1/17/09 and had a really good time.of course any vacation is what you make of it. we only wanted to see a very few sites(stone island and plata muchado )and get some sun.2 out of 3 isnt bad we didnt get downtown because we were lazy /lol too much fun meeting people around the pool and the tour filled before we knew it.the PB@EB was very clean,friendly and the food and drinks were also very good and reasonable.I always feel sorry for people when they go anyplace and dont enjoy it and then sharon and I show up and we have a great time.If anyone has any questions email me.Iwill tell you we are seasoned travelers and timeshare owners at vistana in FL and the Summit in Sedona. oh yeah we now have a week in PB@EB. have fun enjoy life it only comes once.

• Liked — the service we recieved from the staff
  • Disliked — noisy ac that we didnt need to use anyway
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

I have been wanting to go to Mexico for a while now, and decided in Novemeber to book something for December. I booked one week in Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay & 1 week in Torres Mazatlan hotels. I am writing this review & posting pics for Pueblo Bonito EMerald Bay. You can read my review on Torres under that hotel.

Mazatlan turns out to be a "growing" city in Mexico. I would suspect it is much rural & smaller than Cancun & Peurto Vallarta. Bonito Emerald bay is the creme de la creme out there in Mazatlan. Its a bigger resort compared to other resorts in Mazatlan, but its not really that big compared to large resorts like Grand Palladium or Paradisus. Not all inclusive so you will run a tab on breakfasts, lunchs, dinners, coffee, and drinks.
I was looking forward to swiming in the sea, but it turns out Bonito EMerald bay has the worst beach in all Mazatlan! Its all sharp rocks right there on the beach - see the pictures. For obvious reasons, NOBODY out there uses the beach or the sea. Everybody uses the 2 pools they have. The alternative is to take the hotel shuttle that runs every hour to the other Pueblo Bonito located in the Golden Zone. This 1 has a nice lively beach with some activities like Kayaking, Para-sailing, Jet skiing, and a few trips like the shallow/deep sea fishing trips.

They do have a fitness center. It has free weights, A smith machine, benchs, and whole bunch of good equipment. From my other reviews, I figure you would know I need a fitness center in any resort i go to :). This was a very pleasant gym to use. Althought they stick you with a $10 daily usage fee if you are not a owner or coming through an owner (through timeshare or timeshare exchange).

THe kitchen, ooooh the kitchen. Where do I begin? The horrible fajitas, or the gummy steaks. Assume this hotel has NO kitchen watsoever. THis way you will not be dissapointed. Nothing they served there from the kitchen was good. Maybe the chef this week was off & the replacement chef is a rookie, I don't know but what i know is I could not stand the smell, the taste of it.
Do yourself a favor, take the shuttle to the GOlden Zone mazatlan, the food is much better. Better yet, take a Pulmonia (open air cab Mazatlan is famous for - see the pictures), and go to 1 of the nice restaurants outside the hotels in Golden Zone. I recommend Casa Loma (fine dinning w/ Fish specialty) , Casa Country (steak house) , and Sole mare by the fisherman's monument.

The Hotel staff is helpful, but only the front desk speaks english, mostly the staff does not speak English. The rooms are very large (the junior & master bedrooms both) with vaulted ceiling. I like the rooms alot!
But a word of advice, be very careful with ants in the rooms. Before you unload your items in the room, check the cupboards, kitchen,...etc for ants. I was careless and unloaded my stuff without checking. Then 4th day in, my clothes including shirts, pants, socks, ... all that - were crawling with ants!! I went bought some pesticide, and spent at least 5 hours getting rid of these pests in my stuff and in the room. BAD experience!

Because of the awful/un-usable beach, the bad cooking kitchen, and the ants crawling in the room, I am giving this resort a 3 (average).

If you are going to Mazatlan, I guess this is 1 of the best resorts money could get you so I guess I would recommend it. As far as whole-heartedly recommending this hotel - NO, I don't.

• Liked — Pools & FItness Center
  • Disliked — Kitchen's food, room service, room cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

PUEBLO BONITO EMERALD BAY - Some would like the over the top decor in the lobby, greek statues all around and dead animal heads in the bar. The grounds are beautiful, but stinky and flamingos on the west coast?? The rooms were clean and light, the personnel were friendly and helpful. The crowded pools were lovely except the loudspeaker voice calling for activities and broadcasting music that is not for everyone. Food is average and overpriced. The beach is not swimmable. To me, it was rather fake and ostentatious - not authentic.

All this aside, the really bad experience comes if you accept an invitation to a TIMESHARE PRESENTATION. The lure of breakfast and $200 for food is not worth it. It is promised that the presentation will be 90 minutes including tour and breakfast. That's just the first deception. Hours later, after low key but high pressure tactics from a charming and personable presenter, you like many others, might have a temporary lapse of sound mind and good business sense, and find yourself the owner of an overpriced timeshare with questionable 'extras'. If you have buyers remorse and want to RESCIND the contract YOU CAN DO THIS WITHIN 5 DAYS even if you were told you can't and even if you signed a "cardholders agreement" forfeiting your downpayment. This is illegal according to Mexican law. Look up PROFECO on the internet to learn about the law and to get help.

Please do yourself a favor and read all about it now no matter what lodging you choose...be prepared before you go!! Look up "MESCAM", "mexican timeshare scams", and the like, even if you have no intention of going to a timeshare presentation. Knowledge is power, right?

I have to say that this resort was not for me, but many people love it there. The timeshare incident made me not like it as well as I might have had I not had that experience. If the place is all as great as the promoters say, then it should sell itself without all of the deceitful, sleazy, dishonest tactics. If you would like to buy here or anywhere else, try aftermarket sources like redweek.com or ebay. Same thing for a fraction of the cost.

The weather was perfect and the city was fun to explore. I would suggest early in your stay to hire a little open air vehicle you'll see everywhere by the hour to give you a personal city tour. When you want a break from all of the good Mexican cuisine, try the Italian Villa in the golden zone for very good food, great service and atmosphere, and reasonable prices.

Enjoy your visit and look out for sharks! (not the ones in the water)

• Liked — That it was in Mexico
  • Disliked — Timeshare Pressure
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Clovis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

My wife and I are timeshare owners at this property, and visited for the first time in two years from November 29-December 5. It has always been a beautiful site, but this year for the first time, we noticed major improvements, particularly in the addition of a state of the art fitness facility, and upgrades to the beachfront. As we were leaving, they also were adding another restaurant around the main pool. The biggest advance, however, was in the quality of food served at the main restaurant, which previously had been mediocre. The service was also marketly better. In the near future, they will increase the size and service at the spa to bring it up to top class, and in the next two years will add the first nine holes and club house for their Greg Norman designed golf course. This property with the addition of the villa's and private homes seems to be on course to be a true five star destination. In my opinion, the only drawback is the distance from the Mazatlan Airport which needs major renovation and expansion, and improved transportation to downtown Mazatlan and to the Marina facilities, which when completed will feature addiional dining and shopping opportunities.

CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

I have been meaning to write my review for some time now. My husband, and I had the time of our lives at your resort in August 2005! Your staff was just incredible! They anticipated our needs before we ever had to ask, and went above and beyond our expectations! My folks are in Mazatlan now, and tried to book a suite at EMERALD BAY, but of course it was booked up for quite some time.

I cannot imagine a reason to complain, when staying at a resort with such spectacular beauty, and if anyone has found reason to complain, they may need medication, not a vacation! LOL!

On a serious note...One huge example of the customer service was upgrading us to a master suite away from construction, before it had ever began. We got back to our room after enjoying cocktails, and swimming, to a message from the EMERALD BAY Manager, alerting us that construction may inconvenience our rest the next day. They offered to help us move, but although tipsy, we were capable of moving a few bags! LOL
When we arrived at the door of our new suite, we could not believe our eyes! We thought our original suite was very nice, this was just amazing!
Our view was of the large pool, and beyond to the sunset!!!

The food at the resort, was outstanding, and when we wanted to eat in town, both of their recommendation were spot on!!
We have reommended the resort to many friends and family, but now that building is finished, the place is booked all the time!
My parents did try to stay there, but they could not get in. So they will be trying to see if they can come view the resort, so they can see for themselves how amazing it is! And so to see what their Honeymoon gift to us paid for. LOL!

To anyone thinking of staying here!! You will LOVE IT!! The staff knew us by name by day 2, and they quickly became our honeymoon family. They told us where to shop, who to call to drive us all over Mazatlan, and just anticipated our every need, while we drank, swam, ate, and just enjoyed a honeymoon made for royalty! THANK YOU 3 3/4 YEARS LATER (been meaning to write this review for a long time)

SINCERELY,
STEPHANIE, AND BOBBY ASCHER

• Liked — The suites, the pool, with swim up bar, the food!!
  • Disliked — Don't think there was anything we liked least, we liked it all LOTS!!! LOL!
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

Pueblo Bonito, Emerald Bay ~ Mistake of a Lifetime. We vacationed at our Jr. Suite timeshare Emerald Bay this summer. No sooner had we checked in when we were solicited to attend an upgrade presentation. When we attended presentation we were subjected to a very high pressure sale. We were shown the exquisite villa; after that escorted to the dinning room for a free lunch. Then the pressure was on. For over 4 hours Mr. George Moore, our sales representative, convinced us owning the one month interval of the villa would be a great financial investment that we could make a lot of money by renting it out, and also that we could easily resell it for a profit. We truly believed this at the time, but now feel we were misled and deceived. We wanted time to think about the offer and contact our bank for advice, but we were told that we had to make a decision then and there. We were supplied credit cards on which we had to put a deposit of almost $25,000, along with our existing Junior Suite, that we paid $6,115 for, also as part of the deposit. I specifically asked Mr. Moore if there was a grace period, and he said no; that there would be no turning back, that once we signed the contract we could not get our money back. I felt bullied into signing the contract. Mr. Moore waived the contract in my face and said if you don’t want this rip it up right now; mistake of a lifetime…I did not grab it and rip it up then and there. After we signed Mr. Moore said “Now don’t annoy your husband by hassling him about your purchase, just enjoy your vacation; put the contract in the bottom of your luggage and don’t even think about it”. How convenient, I now realize after we returned from our vacation it was after the 5 day grace period as stated in Article 56 of the Federal Consumer Protection Law of Mexico which states “if there is a decision not to acquire the goods or services, the operation can be rescinded with five business days as from the delivery of the goods or the signing of the contract, whichever comes last”; (the grace period Mr. Moore said we did not have).
We had second thoughts right away, my husband did not fully realize the maintenance fees were so high, on the contract they are made to look like the maintenance fee is $1,421.96, but that is just the weekly fee, once he realized the actual maintenance fee was $6,000. we seriously considered backing out of the contract, but the sales rep assured us there was no backing out. Feeling stuck once we returned from vacation back to our own environment we consulted with our bank, and found out they could only offer less than half of what we needed. We believe we did not make a correct financial decision when we upgraded to the villa. The financed purchase is something we definitely could not afford despite being convinced otherwise.
I contacted Mr. Sergio Cayeros, Member Services, and he sounded so sympathetic; just a way to stall for time. He had me write to him, then he wrote back about how we could cancel our contract but we were out our $30,686 deposit since we waited past the 5 days cancellation period, (the 5 days cancellation period Mr. Moore said we did not have). I tried to reason with Mr Cayeros. I told him we would prefer to receive our full deposit back but to be more than fair we were willing to suffer the loss of more that half of the deposit; offering to pay the $9,571.00 credit card and they keep our Jr. Suite timeshare, but, we wanted the $15,000. credited back to the second credit card. I told him I understand Pueblo Bonito had expenses such as promotion, publicity, sales commissions etc. but, I seriously doubt those expenses amounted to $30,686.00. Mr. Cayeros waited until the contract would kick in for their financing of 12 ½% interest then threatened to not cancel the contract as he originally said but put us into another financial obligation of $13,000 more then if we would have come up with our own financing. We could not afford the villa and I told him so again; upon which he said he would cancel but we still had to pay the deposit.
I then tried to reason with Sara Drobac, head of their sales division. She stated Emerald Bay had to keep our deposit for the title registration office, marketing dept., the insurance policy registration office. Since our contract was cancelled we have no need for the any of those departments. I know when you cancel an insurance policy they return your unused portion. The contract is cancelled now, but we are out our massive deposit.
The Timeshare we originally bought was for all the right reasons, we really liked the resort and looked forward to returning often or trade it for other time shares, but especially the price of our original timeshare was something we could afford, but now we lost that.
Besides being lied to about not having the grace period we feel we were deceived; being led to believe that we would make a profit renting and reselling. I have checked on line and see the Emerald Bay Jr. Suites selling for as little as $1,500; I can imagine the decrease in value of the villas.
We took our friends down there to Emerald Bay when we were on vacation and Mr. George Moore sold them a Jr. Suite...basically he sold them ours. We did want to go back there with them and take other friends and family, but now we never want to go back to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay again, it would only bring back bad memories of the worst mistake we ever made.

• Liked — Great pool
  • Disliked — Pushy salesman
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!