“Awesome” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Ernesto Coppel Campana 201 | Camino Al Delfin, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 72 hotels in Mazatlan
Perham, Minnesota
“Awesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

8 of us returned yesterday from a 1 week stay. We were in building 19 on the 3rd and 4th floor and the view was amazing. We were close enough to the Bistro and the main pool which was perfect. The rooms do need to be updated but the beds were very comfortable. The service at the pool and restaurants could not have been better especially from Oscar at the buffet. He went over and above time and time again. We were only approached a couple of times by the timeshare "deals" but they were very respectful when we declined. Our group had a blast doing the ceramic painting and playing volleyball in the pool. If you'd like a great informal tour guide, look up Jose Osuna at 044 (669) 984 85 81 while downtown at the sister resort. He took all 8 of us in his van and took us shopping at a very reasonable price. He also told us what was worth seeing and what to skip. We went the all inclusive route and you will be very pleased. The Turtle Cheesecake at the Bistro was to die for. We stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach in Cabo 2 years ago and would have to say that resort was slightly better than the Emerald Bay but all in all, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

972 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Benicia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay is a very nice resort and spa is a little far from town but you can take the shuttle to the Pueblo Bonito Mazatlán and you are closer to town and the malecón. The staff here is superb and the Spa is wonderful. The food is good has well the only thing is that they could have a little more options thats why we decided not to do the all inclusive. Overall this places rocks and the grounds are beautiful.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Torrance, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Every minute at Emerald Bay was wonderful. The check-in process was facilitated by Martin. Our room overlooked the pool and ocean and was kept clean every day by Lourdes. We opted for all inclusive and every meal was fantastic. The breakfast smoothies were especially good...we ate shrimp at every meal...the service staff was fast and attentive and polite. We played tennis and found the courts to be of superior quality. We both got very high quality massages at the spa. We used the shuttle to go in to town and found it timely and clean. We have not one complaint. Do not hesitate to book a stay at this awesome resort!

Hagerman, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My wife and I just returned from Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, we stayed January 18th to February 1st.
This was our 13th year in a row and I agree there have been changes thru the years some good and some not so good. The bottom line however it is still a wonderful resort with great staff who strive to do their best. While there I heard a couple of people complaining about trivial issues that you could have anywhere you stay in the states. When at Emerald Bay we relax and enjoy ourselves and don’t sweat the little issue that may or may not come up. Our biggest issue is that free Wi-Fi is only available at the deli (it is in a central location) it is available around the entire resort for a weekly fee of $ 80.00 per device. The resort is maintained very well and the staff is awesome. We had the all-inclusive program for the entire two weeks and the food was very good, next year however we will use the all-inclusive for half of our stay and visit some of the other eating establishments in town. We love this resort to the point we now have enough points to stay for an extended period of time every winter. Some of the staff who remember us yearly and make us feel at home are Gina at the front desk, Enique Vizcarra a pool waiter, Adriona cooks your eggs to order and is awesome, Jaivo Moveno a waiter at LaCordeliere Restaurant is awesome and we always look forward to seeing him, Dario Remy is also a waiter there that makes you feel at home. Sadly to say I forgot our housekeepers name but she did a great job. We are looking forward to our stay next year when ourselves and 6 other couples will visiting again.
Mark & Tina Bolduc , back in the cold of Idaho

Room Tip: Upper floors have a better view of the ocean. All rooms have excellent views however.
Minot, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

This is an absolutely beautiful resort and known for being the best, most luxurious in Mazatlan. The pools are gorgeous, the food is very good, service is excellent and having all-inclusive drinks is the only way to go. Just a couple of things you should know. Be prepared to get hit up on signing up for the 2 hour time-share drill. We received $150 to use toward excursions. Was it worth it - I'm still deciding. It is very hard core sales. Also, there is NO internet access at the resort. I paid to have it thru my cell phone provider, but there is no reception. So you have to pay $12 a day to use it. I am ok with paying, but Emerald Bay charges $12 per day per device.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

My wife and I did our 1st time share (TS) stay here January 2014 having bought 2 yrs earlier. I was very negative minded about it, going in, because we went thru what ShhToronto did (see "Beware...") but having bought, we needed to live it & experience it. We did and it was quite pleasant and it turned me around, pretty much, but I note some problems below. By the way, we avoided having to attend a sales session ("How are you doing, let me give you a coupon but let me sell you some more stuff") so that helped matters a lot.

The good part of the story is the entire lay out itself. It is the best & most attractive we've seen.

On the condo side of the property, the network of pools is plentiful with quieter ones on the edges. We were put right into the middle, in the heart of it all, and it was noisy at times, the Activities Coaches using a microphone a lot. Other TS resorts present this challenge, of course. Also, the architectural lay out is really quite good, very pleasing Spanish/Italian 19th century style (I understand the Cabo PB properties are also unique architecturally) confirming in my mind the high caliber of Mexican architects (PB is a Mexican company).

Then there's the villas side of the property. Little castles/chalets which we totally ignored, can't afford them anyway.

The walking paths connecting one end of the resort to the other allowed us to walk in a tropical paradise even at night as it's lighted up quite nicely, about 1/4 of a mile long. Lovely gardens & plants, fine maintenance, and stunningly colorful iguanas if you pause to look. The beach is within a few steps to look at. PB offers you on campus transportation service on golf carts which was nice when we needed it.

PB/EB has the best most complete gym I've seen in any TS.

The eateries were top of the line. The Bistro, the main restaurant, served us fine cuisine, tailored to my stringent no-salt requirements and they did a fine job and I told them so since its hard to get this service in the USA. We attended a Mexican NIght at the Le Corbesiere (or something like that), a second eatery, and we found the food genuinely authentic (I happen to know a lot about it) and delicious, and I told them so too, altho I'm afraid that some gringos may have been unable to really appreciate it.

The down side: I feel like I'm carping in writing this but I did feel slighted but only on a comparative basis. By this I mean that our Junior Suite with 2 beds turned out to be much less than what we get with other TS's. It was less, and that's my point. Dollar-wise I think we got less. The kitchen was smaller, reminiscent of my cooking in our RV--only 2 burners, limited counter space, had to put the tea pot on the floor when working with other pots, only 2 knives when we get a whole set elsewhere, no complimentary coffee for the first day, no condiments, etc. Smallish bathrooms too. A lot of small stuff that added up in my mind.

Furthermore, our Jr. Suite consisted of one large room with a bath, no separate bedroom, very limited chest of drawers--again comparatively, . It helped that our room was very tastefully decorated and a very good lanai or porch overlooking the main pools, ocean view, but the lighting was poorly planned, a shame!

Another bad thing for me, but perhaps not for you, is that PB Emerald Bay is so far away from city center. Yes, I knew that it was far away when we signed the contract but we had thought to rent the unit out and perhaps other people wouldn't mind, lots of folks like an all inclusive resort out in the boonies. PB/EB mitigates this limitation by providing a free hourly van shuttle to their closer-to-town property so I thought, ok let's try it. Anyway, I read the fine print about the shuttle and discovered that PB prohibited using the shuttle for buying groceries! God, almighty! What narrow minds, I said to myself.

But, determined to cook in part of the time given my salt restrictions I told my wife, "we're going to have to do a contraband run!" So we donned on our back packs (good thing we brought them) and succeeded in smuggling in groceries. Can you imagine that!!! We learned later that the shuttle drivers weren't strict about this ban. Many Mexicans aren't strict about many rules & regulations either. Anyway.

Bottom line: the many bad points were outweighed by the many good points. We'll go back knowing the limitations and we'll be ready. Now I'm interested in checking out the other PB properties in Cabo.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask to be assigned a unit away from the main pools.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Relaxing site with beautiful gardens. Rooms were good and the cleaning staff excellent. We enjoyed the breakfasts in the morning facing the ocean, food and service were good. We were on the all inclusive package. The evening meals were mixed, the Bistro was best choice but then the menu is the same each day, the self service wasn't as good. If your diet is limited, then it will be boring. I am gluten free so only option for desert was icecream. The food at the Mazatlan PB was good and there is more atmosphere in the restaurant there. We got caught buying a timeshare - shouldn't have gone to the presentation! We will be back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!