“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay

You added Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Ernesto Coppel Campana 201 | Camino Al Delfin, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Dallas, Texas
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My sisters and I stayed at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay the first week of September and it was fantastic! September is during the non-peak season for the area, so the resort was not busy. This allowed us to enjoy all of what it had to offer without having to worry about the crowds. Read on...

Resort:

On the beach, but only a small portion. The beach itself is probably about a 1/4 mile long, but very rocky towards one end. There are cabanas available on the beach where the sand is nice, but they are on a first come first served basis. In the evening, you can lay and watch some incredible sunsets! The resort has three pools, with the main pool being pretty big with a swim up bar. One of the two other pools does have a large jacuzzi as well. Most of my time was spent playing volleyball and drinking margaritas at the large pool. There resort has a company that handles pool activities and games, so there was always something going on in the afternoon. Very lively, and I can only imagine how it is during peak season! We understood that peak season for the resort is November to July, and then it starts slowing down in August. When you stay at Emerald Bay, you also have access to the other Pueblo Bonito resort in Mazatlan...Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. This resort is the older of the two, but has the better beach. Plenty of cabanas to take a nap under! Emerald Bay has a fantastic fitness center for those that want to get a workout in. The grounds at Emerald Bay are immaculate...with flowers and plants and waterfalls and such throughout the resort. It truly is an amazing place!

Dining:

Emerald Bay has several areas to dine in. The Bistro (with one of the pools right in front), the deli (where free wifi is available), and La Cordeliere (main dining room / morning buffets). There are also grill areas by the main pool. I HIGHLY recommend the fish tacos...they were wonderful with a Pacifico beer! The food is good to great, and the two seafood plates I got while there were outstanding! Those plates were shrimp plates, as Mazatlan is the shrimp capital of the world. There is one main bar at Emerald Bay (Kelly's Bar) and they showed nightly sports and it was lively to sit and enjoy an evening cocktail. If you make the visit to the other resort (PB Mazatlan), you MUST sit out and have dinner at Cilantro's...the sunset views from here are incredible! Angelo's is also a great visit for some very nice steaks. Bottom line, the dining experience at both resorts is very, very good!

Mazatlan itself:

This was the first time for all of us to go to Mazatlan. I've been to other parts of Mexico (Cancun, Puerto Vallarta) and I have to say that Mazatlan is much more "old school." We took a city tour the last day we were day and it was pretty cool. My sisters and I grew up in El Paso, Texas, and come from a Mexican family, so the tour was very much taking us back to our childhoods. We visited the busy mercado (market place) as well as saw the cliff divers ($200 pesos per jump). We saw another side of Mazatlan that isn't the big, beautiful resort area. Don't get me wrong, we weren't driving through the slums or anything, but it was refreshing to see raw old style Mazatlan.

Weather:

The weather was humid, and not terribly hot. We did get rain towards the end of our stay, but it would move out once the afternoon rolled around. If you go during the non-peak season (September - October, and even some of August), be sure to be prepared for at least some wet weather. The week after we left, the west coast of Mexico got hit hard with tropical storms and a hurricane.

Activities:
While on the beach at the older resort, we were approached by all of the vendors selling excursions and day trips, etc. Also, this was the beach where all of the vendors selling jewelry, hats, clothes, etc. will find you. My advice if you go during non-peak is negotiate any excursion down to what you want to pay. They are hurting for business. I went out on a 4 hour fishing excursion and paid $300 (U.S. dollars)...that was WAY too much as I later learned. Although, they did offer me either deep sea fishing (marlin) or bottom fishing (sea bass, snapper, etc.). I chose bottom fishing as they said it would generate more bites. We caught about 25 fish, with the biggest being about a 25 lb yellow tail snapper. It was awesome.

Time share:
My sisters and I all went through the time share presentation, and we loved the resort so much, we all bought a time share. They don't pressure you at all, and the presentation is probably about 90 minutes, but for us, we really, really loved it. My sister's went in on the big package, and I bought my own. I was even more excited afterwards when talking to existing time share owners and their thoughts and experiences of owning.

Bottom line, even if I wouldn't have purchased the time share, I would definitely go back to Emerald Bay. It was just fantastic fun, in a beautiful resort setting. I can't wait to go back in June! Ping me with any questions you might have. Enjoy!

Bobby

Room Tip: WiFi is located at the deli for FREE. Anywhere else and you have to pay.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Hagerman, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I have been traveling to Emerald Bay for the past 10 years. It is a wonderful place and we can always count on great service and lovely grounds. We have used the all-inclusive the past two years and feel it is a fair bargain.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ellensburg, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Visited Pueblo Bonito-Emerald Bay Mazatlan between 22-29 Sept 2013. It was our 4th year to use our timeshare. The establishment is still wonderful. It was during a slow period and after a tropical storm hit the general area. The staff was at minimal levels but still very helpful and professional. We took advantage of their airport transport (RT) for $50.00. Saves one a lot of grief due to the "eager salesmen" when you depart customs. The food was great at both restaurants and the sandwiches at the Super deli are hard to pass up. Menu was limited and the "Theme nights" were reduced because of the slow period but was still great. Did not use the all-inclusive plan but it is a good deal and should be looked at individually. Had some minor room fixes but were rapidly solved. A+ in every respect and can't wait to return. Wife had two messages and reported they were fantastico!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on 3rd or 4th floor for a better ocean view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here numerous times through the years--they are a new property, and therefore very scenic and up to date compared to some Mexico resorts. New pools with pool bars, ever evolving service, new restaurants...and supposedly a new golf course hold the promise that they will be here years to come. My parents bought a timeshare here, and would not stay anywhere else, unless it is the regular Pueblo Bonito. That has it's charms as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Clarkston, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We visit Emerald Bay every year, and every year we enjoy out stay more. The restaurants and bars are wonderful, and we really enjoy the all-inclusive plan. There are always activities at the pool for everyone to enjoy.
I would love to see a REAL couch sleeper. Hopefully soon, the resort will make that change.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floors are quieter---no chance for little feet scurrying about till late at night.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We would like to thank for being such a loyal guest to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, we are very happy to hear that you had a really nice time during your stay with us, we appreciate your positive attitude and we're already waiting to welcome you next year.

David Tussi, General Manager
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I have stayed at PB Emerald Bay on 2 occasions now and are going back again in 2014. The grounds are amazing and the views of the ocean are incredible, but the ocean swimming here can be a bit risky with how rough the waters are in this bay...but, we love their pools anyway. We love the location because it is so quiet and peaceful, compared to staying somewhere along the gold zone where all the tourist hotels are located, which has a lot of traffic and the noise and smog that goes with it...trust me we have stayed in the gold coast and it is much closer to the restaurants and attractions but PB has a free shuttle you can take to get to their hotel in the gold zone and then you can go from there. The service and rooms are all better than average and once you stay at a place like this, it is hard to go back to the run of the mill resorts.

Room Tip: all the rooms have ocean views, so, the only choice is which floor you want to be on for how high yo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

At every turn the service was amazing. The wait staff at all restaurants and bars were terrific. The choices for food were good for the all-inclusive option. Which was definitely a nice surprise. The beds could be bigger, especially in the larger executive suites. Getting around the resort is easy as it is mostly on one to two levels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!