“July 2013 Nice but prefer Cabo San Lucas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Ernesto Coppel Campana 201 | Camino Al Delfin, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 76 hotels in Mazatlan
Farmington, MI
“July 2013 Nice but prefer Cabo San Lucas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We usually stay at our timeshare at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach in Cabo San Lucas but decided to swap a week there for PB Emerald Bay in Mazatlan. We had never been to Mazatlan and heard it was an interesting place.

Here is a list of what we loved and what we thought needed to change/improve at Emerald Bay.

Landscaping- the grounds were absolutely beautiful, lots of palm trees, flowering bushes, iguanas, vines, etc.

Food- Theme Nights at La Cordelier restaurant (Mexican night, grill night, and steak and shrimp were our favorites), breakfast was also great. Bistro restaurant- loved the bacon wrapped tenderloin with béarnaise sauce and the shrimp sauteed in chile. Poolside- nachos, chips and guacamole, and smoked marlin tacos were a hit.

Bartenders at the swim up bar (adult pool) were friendly and funny

Dishonest sales lady- Upon arriving we were told to go to a table near the entry to pick up a welcome packet. This turned out to be a joke. The lady who greeted us, a Canadian with short blonde hair, told us we had to give her $200 deposit for a tour of the resort. She said it would take 90 minutes, we would be shown where the pools, restaurants, gym, and spa were located and would then enjoy breakfast. We thought it was odd that we had to pay a deposit to be shown the amenities at the resort but did so anyway. She said we could get the all inclusive for $44 a day after the tour if we were so inclined. The next morning we showed up thinking we would be shown around the resort only to find out they wanted us to buy into their new "points" program. We already own a timeshare. After 2 hours we demanded that they finish up so we could get on with our vacation. Originally we were told the tour would take 90 minutes. The "sales guy/tour guide" took us to a building that was set up with a breakfast buffet. It was packed so we had to stand around and wait on a table. Once we had a table we discovered that all of the food containers, except for refried beans, were empty. We had to wait almost 30 more minutes to get food, then had to sit through his presentation. We thought we were done then we were shuffled into an office to talk to another person! It was NOT how we wanted to spend the first day of my vacation.

Shuttle to and from airport- upon arrival the shuttle driver was waiting on us, when we were leaving the shuttle was 15 minutes late and the driver stopped in the middle of nowhere to pick up a lady who was standing on the side of the road. It was a bit scary as he gave no explanation as to why he was stopping and who this person was and because of all of the hype about Mazatlan being dangerous. This was the only time I didn't feel safe and actually took a photo of the lady on the shuttle in case she was a "bad" person and robbed us. I know that sounds silly but my husband and I both felt uncomfortable with the situation.

Shuttle to and from Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan- NO Air conditioning! It was so hot on the shuttle that I felt like I was going to be sick. July in Mazatlan is hot and humid and riding on a bus full of people without air conditioning is not acceptable. The last time we went to town we took a cab (100 pesos). I don't know if the air conditioner was broken and was going to be repaired but it did not work the entire time we were there.

Swimming pool- We liked the adult pool best. The only problem we found was that the tile in and around the pool was very slippery. I fell on the steps going into the pool and injured my knee and ankle. While there we saw numerous others fall. The staff did clean the steps and ledges daily so I'm not sure why they were so slippery.

Non-residents at resort?- We noticed several people who didn't seem to be residents hanging out at the pools. On more than one occasion, we saw a pickup load of people (several kids in the back of the truck), clad in swimsuits, being let into the front gate. The pool was full of people who weren't using the towels provided by the resort (you are given a towel card to exchange for beach towels each day), people who brought 2-3 gallon jugs of water and picnic food instead of getting water from the pool waiters, and people who avoided questions about what building they were in. It was a bit suspicious.

Trip to PB Mazatlan- We were going to spend the day at PB Mazatlan as the beach at Emerald Bay is not safe for swimming. (Rocky) Unfortunately we could not get a chair on the beach there. There were all taken by 9 AM.

We did eat at their beachside restaurant, Cilantro's, which opened at noon. We had shrimp imperial (excellent!) and skirt steak arrachera (also good but the shrimp was exceptional!) There was a nice breeze in the restaurant and it was a great experience.

Fortunately we had enough pesos with us for what we planned to do that day but talked to a family who was upset because Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan would not exchange money for them since they were staying at Emerald Bay.

Downtown:
We went to the market, Mercado Pino Suarez, and bought a few souvenirs. Prices there are better than they are at the shops near the beach. From the market we explored the Cathedral and a couple of plazas. We ate lunch at the Shrimp Bucket which was recommended by friends. The open air cab from PB Mazatlan to the market was $100 pesos.

Stone Island tour:
The tour company the concierge called for us was not the best. My friend took a big white boat to the island, had lounge chairs on the beach there, and what seemed to be a nicer experience.

We were picked up by a nice tour guide on a nice air conditioned bus. The nice part stopped there. Coming home we were told that we had to ride in the back of a pickup truck! The boat was green and not very nice. I was horrified when I had to go to the restroom on the boat. The door would not latch, there was no toilet seat, and the sink was hard to operate. Once we got to the restaurant on the island we were shown to tables with white plastic chairs. There were no beach chairs to lounge on so we basically were stuck in the chairs for a few hours. We did walk down the beach. The waves were so rough that day that the lifeguard wanted everyone to stay in a small area of the beach. If you take the tour to Stone Island make sure you look on the internet before going and ask the concierge to call for the nicer tour.

Overall we had a nice experience at PB Emerald Bay but probably won't go back. We like Cabo best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1,086 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a place that very nearly has it all. The rooms are extremely high quality, very nicely decorated, and with super comfortable beds.

The resort itself is immaculate. The grounds are beautifully-maintained and lush. As pretty as any place I've ever been.

There are some great amenities too. The pools vary in their appeal - some are for adults, the main pool for kids and families. So the noise level varies accordingly!

The restaurants on-site are really very good, surprisingly so. The Sunday Brunch is an absolute can't-miss, with bottomless mimosas and extravagant arrangements of food. All the restaurants are good, though the one at the adult pool is probably the best and most varied.

I think the service is superb - the drinks at the pool can be a little slow (but aren't they always?) but other than that, whether you're in the bar, at the spa or at the restaurant, all of the staff are extremely attentive and friendly.

The shuttle into town nearly dissuaded me from going, but it turns out that it's just a quick 15 minute ride and they go every half hour at peak times. So that's no hassle at all.

I really can't recommend it highly enough. It's attractive, friendly, safe, fun... if only the beach was more of a 'swimming beach' then it would be completely perfect!

Room Tip: Find a room at the far end of the resort, near the adult pool. It's quieter and closer to the oc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cypress, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We enjoyed staying at this resort. Everything was great. The service was over the top and the food was good. The grounds were beautiful and it was very relaxing. Some of the areas needed updating though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

As soon as we arrive we were greeted with kindness. Our room was ready and had an excellent view. The only thing was that as soon as you checked in you were sent to the time share people who were really pushy before they gave you your key. Then you were escorted to your room. The pools were great but full. My family and I enjoyed the view of the ocean and free shuttle to their sister hotel pueblo bonito that was closer to mazatlan life. We really liked this resort and we will be conning back.

• Stayed July 2013
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed for one week in July 2013. The pool is nice, clean, and there are organized activities. The room had ice cold A/C, although it is starting to look run down, with dirty tiles and improperly working bathroom showers (e.g. the shower head is of poor quality, the toilets are not high end). The kitchenette had ants. I tipped $10 / day and had impeccable maid service in our room. There are lots of plants and trees and iguanas, so the surroundings are beautiful. The beach CANNOT be entered into because of the millions of jelly fish. Further, the beach is not the typical sandy beach in Mexico. This beach is steep and dangerous. I would give the hotel 4 starts but the Staff 2 stars, therefore, I have rated this hotel a 3. I am not sure that I would return. The staff are not friendly at all. When I checked in, the reception person, "Juan" took almost 20 minutes (not exaggerating) to find me a room, then it was on the far end of the hotel. I had made my reservation 3 months in advance but he claimed that it was first come, first serve and all the rooms were taken. So, instead of getting the two-bed master suite I had paid for, I ended up with the one king bed master suite. Disappointing, but especially with his lack of caring. Then of course, he wouldn't release the room keys until I talked to the person who is trying to sell you the "timeshare." How nice... She was so upset because I told her that I would never purchase a timeshare at a hotel that can't even get my reservation correct. I asked Juan to have the manager contact me. As you might expect from a mismanaged hotel, that never happened. Finally, one of my friends came to visit and the front gate attendant would not let him in because it was 8:15 pm. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We would like to thank you for taking to the time to express your comments and concerns about our resort, we apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you, and we can assure you that we will take action based on the feedback that you and other guests have given us. Hope to welcome you anytime in the future so you can give us the opportunity to treat you like you and all of our guest deserve.

David Tussi, General Manager
Marshall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Nice resort. It took us a couple of days to get the hang of things, what was where, and where to eat. The pool was so warm! Very clean water, and nice relaxing areas. The views from the top floor of building K were not that good, but not bad by any means. We were close to the Bistro and the smaller pool which was great. Was quite a hike to the front/office areas. See my comments in the hints section.

The activities were more for older teens (16+ in most cases), and my 14 and 9 year old didn't have any activities to particiapte in.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the wi-fi, choose building G or H. There is resort wide internet for a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Roseburg, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Pueblo Bonito Resorts are the best. Emerald Bay is no exception. It has been our annual getaway for over ten years. We've seen improvements over the years and we continue to come back. The rooms are great, the views are great, and the food is great. This year, our stay was special because of all the music venues available. Listening to Sergio play the sax while dining outside in the Bistro patio was excellent. Having drinks and snacks at Kelly's Bar while listening to Rafael was just superb. And we always enjoy a special meal at Angelo's while listening to Andres. The Super Deli is a great place to eat also. The pools, the spa, the gym, the landscaping, and the staff are just great. Can't say enough good things about it and we plan on coming back next year.

Room Tip: We like a room with a terrace and a couple of chaise lounges.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Dough H,

We appreciate your kind remarks and the time you took to review us, we also would like to thank you for your preference on choosing Emerald Bay for 10 years in a row! Guests like you are what make us feel satisfied for the quality of the service we strive to provide each day.

Best Regards,
David Tussi, General Manager

Been to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!