“Fantastico!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Ernesto Coppel Campana 201 | Camino Al Delfin, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Centralia
“Fantastico!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This resort far exceeded my expectations-I loved it! I had never been to an all-inclusive before and wasn't sure that was my thing. Again-loved it. All the food was delicious. The only buffet was breakfast, all other meals were served and ordered off the menus.
My visit was the last week in May-very very quiet there as this is their off season. I loved that too. The weather was perfect. Low 80's during the day and low 70's at night. Slept with my top floor terrace door open to the waves. It's very safe and secure at PB.
I never visited the main pool as it was more of a party type atmosphere with music and such. Although, still allot of chairs available! Visited the adult pool one day, but most mingled around the bar and the busy server did not come out to the chairs. Had to order and then take my drink out myself.
Then I discovered the wonderful quiet, warm, large pool at the Bistro. I spent all the rest of my days there. Nice restaurant there for lunch or dinner. Pool service was provided for drinks and usually there were only 2 or 3 other couples or families there. Very quiet and peaceful. I strolled down the quiet empty beach picking up pretty shells to arrive there. All areas are so extremely clean and well cared for. The water must be salt as it is so soft,clear, and warm.
Yes, I am glad I did the time share 90 min presentation. In return I received 3 spa visits for the price of one , discounted to $45 and the $150 resort credit. I paid only $39 on my departure. It was great paying for everything up front and no surprises upon leaving.
There were two restaurants available and Kelly's bar. On Tuesday and Friday evenings Raphael Rodriguez plays great music at Kelly's. Because he was so good, I went to see him again at another venue at the Marina. Taxi was only $7. I met up with expats there who are living the good, inexpensive life in Mazatlan and loving it.
In fact Mazatlan itself was a wonderful surprise! It was not even in my top 25 places to visit-but it is now. I fortunately won 3 nights at Pueblo Bonito and added a couple more on my own plus the all inclusive option. I did the math after I received my final bill, and the AI option was very worth it. I've visited many other places in Mexico, but Mazatlan is still small, but large enough to have all the amenities.
I used the free shuttle and visited the other resort one evening for dinner at Angelo's. Best meal of the trip! Using this shuttle also get's you much closer to town if you'd like to visit. I enjoyed staying further out due to the peace and quiet.
I stayed in a Junior Suite which was more than adequate for my solo visit. It had a kitchenette that I only used to make morning coffee. I had a lovely terrace where I watched the sunset every evening. I had a tour of the other rooms and villas. A master suite would be perfect for a couple, although the one I saw did not have a terrace-only windows that opened to the sea. A master and junior suite can be connected. The villas are to die for with their own private pools, bedrooms with private baths-but no ocean view. The spa is lovely.
Would I go again? I certainly hope too! All the staff were friendly, polite, and happy. Service was extremely good.
From what I could see, Emerald Bay is by far the nicest resort in Mazatlan. Plus no beach peddlers. I'd now like to look into affordable retirement options in Mazatlan myself!

Room Tip: Go for the top floor views! Plus floors are all tile, so if on a lower floor, you will hear people...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Catherine K,

We feel pleased after reading such a nice and friendly review, we are glad that you had the time to enjoy all of our facilities and that you had a wonderful stay with us.
Looking forward to welcome you anytime soon!

David Tussi, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Culiacan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I really like pueblo bonito Emerald bay but i have to say that the "welcome reception" at the front desk was desapointing, they act like they are doing you a favor instead of make you feel welcome! I was suposed to recieve a bottle of wine at my arrival as a gift because the hotel's aniversary but no bottle was placed in my Room i had to beg for it! That's not a five star attitude!!!!
Despite the front desk staff, everyone else is super friendly! The pool staff, the bar staff the restaurante staff all of them had the best attitude!!! Always wanted to please you in every way!
The hotel is beautiful, the gardens , the views spectaular!!!! But the thing is that you can not swim in the ocean because of the rocks. But everything else it's just Perfect!
I hope to return soon!

• Stayed June 2013
ferrisburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

the grounds are spectacular. The pools are huge and beautiful. I enjoyed all inclusive because there was a great selection of restaurants to choose from. We loved taking the free shuttle into town to eat on the beach under a palapa topped place owned by Emerald Beach's sister resort and we were offered the "gourmet sampling" of 6 courses with our all inclusive, at a little Italian restaurant in town. Whatever you do, STAY AWAY from the timeshare presentation just next door, down the beach at La Jolla.My husband & I were walking the beach one morning and were lured in with an offer of $500.00. Should have known right there something was up. Long story short, they scammed us big time and now they have $7,000.00 and we have NOTHING to show for it. They are lurking right next door, so watch out.
Ask Pueblo Bonito staff about them and you will probably get an earful of others like us who fell into their trap. Anyway our week at Emerald Beach was very pleasant.

Room Tip: not all rooms have a view of the ocean
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Carole,
Thank you very much for writing such a nice review, and also for taking the time to review us. We feel very happy to hear that you had a wonderful time during your stay at Emerald Bay.
Hope to welcome you anytime soon.

Best Regards,
David Tussi, General Manager
Bedford, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This property is due for some attention which it will do now that the owner of Pueblo Bonito has taken a partner who will infuse significant money. Attention to grounds, service, elevators, adding outlets and the eventual completion of the golf course will help. The staff are generally very helpful, friendly, and accommodating. It's a wonderful location. I'm glad I own a timeshare there, but it won't stop me from pointing out the need for improvements. This year I spent two weeks instead of one which was more relaxing and easier. I still prefer the pool by Bistro to the main pool or the adult pool. The Bistro menu could be expanded. It would be lovely to Cordeliere have a menu sometimes instead of a fixed meal (buffet). View of the ocean are terrific. Despite advertising the opposite, the shuttle took over an hour to the airport and made multiple stops. There is a sales pitch which is optional but which has incentives. If you go, be prepared to make a decision on the spot. The spa is wonderful. Tours in town were long and not worth it.

Room Tip: Decide what pool you want to be near and ask accordingly (lower, main or adult)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had a very negative experience at PB Emerald Bay recently (May 24-28 2013) and it really boiled down to customer service. I had prepaid my stay several weeks ahead of time through Orbitz ahead of time to avoid the hassle. Upon check-in, the receptionist who helped me (I believe Esmeralda was her name on her badge) never once smiled or greeted me. I informed her that I was checking in and that I had a reservation. She quickly looked through a drawer and could not find me. I informed her that I had prepaid through Orbitz and offered a copy of my confirmation and travel itinerary. She then asked if I could email her a copy to which I did on the spot. She again looked through the drawer and couldn't find me. I asked what the problem was and was told that the gal who did the reservations doesn't work on the weekends and that I would have to wait till Monday. It was Saturday and I thought what am I going to do. I informed her politely that I had just given her both an email and printed copy of my reservation with a hotel confirmation number. She stated that was sufficient and that if I wanted to stay I would have to pay $4000 pesos and with that I began to become upset. I asked, "so you mean to tell me that no one on the weekend can access reservations because the one person who handles them is out of the office" and with a stern look was told that was the case. Now believe me that there was no miscommunication because I am a native born Mexican citizen and speak Spanish fluently but live in Washington State. I offered to call Orbitz from phone and was told that was unnecessary since again the gal who does reservations in not in till Monday. I had the option to leave or pay $4000 pesos. The reason I was charged the $4000 pesos is because I don't travel with Credit Cards and is why I prepaid in the first place. So I had no other option but to pay $4000 on my debit card which they state was a hold but hold or charge the funds were unavailable to me after that point. When I got to my room I called Orbitz and they informed me the reservation was emailed 3 weeks prior and gave me the email address it was emailed to. Then I was put on hold and the Orbitz rep called three times to the hotel but no one was answering the phone. I had to call downstairs and let them know Orbitz was calling. The rep from Orbitz informed them that everything was paid in full and offered to email the information to a different address since she got the same story that the gal who does reservations was out till Monday. They did not want another email (front desk at PB) and my rep from Orbitz apologized on behalf of PB and put me on top priority for Monday. On Monday I went downstairs and again (no smiles or greeting from the receptionist staff) and asked to talk to a supervisor. And guess what, they did not give me a name or phone number, all I was told that he was not in. I actually had to get the name from the time share reps which I thought was crazy. I found out later on Monday that my reservation was found but had to wait till the end of my staff for a refund. I asked to see my reservation and I find that someone else's receipt for 2000 pesos was stapled to my reservation and mine for 4000 was stapled to someone elses. The hotel itself was clean and the staff next to the pool was cheerful and very helpful. I cannot say the same for the front office and their poor customer service. I have stayed at PB Sunset Beach, Rose, and Blanco in Cabo and never have had such poor customer service. I will be returning to the CID Marina for all my future Mazatlan stays which is six times a years.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Coeur d'Alene
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here for the last few days of our 2 week vacation. We had a bad experience in town, so they were kind enough to make arrangements for us in a villa. The villas are amazing. Smart move on their part, too... as now we'll want to return to the villas in the future.

The restaurant service at Emerald Bay continues to lack any sense of urgency... but that's different review. As for the room, the room service and maid service were exceptional. The beds were comfortable, the pillows were in good repair, there's plenty of storage space. It doesn't feel like you're living out of a suitcase or making do in cramped quarters. Wonderful, wonderful.

There's some wildlife, too. We enjoyed watching jack rabbits, iguanas, and birds.

Room Tip: The villas are spendy, but if you're traveling with a large group and plan to eat in, they'r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here while he was in Mazatlan on business. The resort is simply beautiful with lovely walking paths, waterfalls, beautiful statues and tropical birds at every turn. Great swimming pools, and an amazing beach. The rooms are very large, and the cleaning and room service staff did a wonderful job. It was super quiet, with almost no people around, (some days I was the only person on the beach!) which was perfect for me. All I did was relax and read my books. Always lots of chairs to choose from, and a wonderful staff to assist with anything that you might need. Certainly NOT a party hotel, but if you want a quiet peaceful vacation in beautiful surroundings, this is the place to be!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!