“A jewel of a resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay

You added Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Ernesto Coppel Campana 201 | Camino Al Delfin, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 77 Hotels in Mazatlan
Orange, California
“A jewel of a resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

A stunning property in a fascinating city. Senor Coppel, who owns the Pueblo Bonito resort chain, spent a fortune on this one, adding beautiful statues and fine works of art to compliment the location on the coast. We had a 1-bedroom master suite with 2 bathrooms. The dining area is huge, in front of three large bay windows. These take the place of a balcony in this type of unit. At first I was disappointed that I did not have a balcony, but the windows can be uniquely opened to the fresh air, and as the week wore on I started to appreciate enjoying my meals inside with the beautiful view right there to enjoy. The dining area did seem at first to be a waste of space that might have been used to create more bedroom space somehow, but my husband called it a "gracious layout". If you were opening this room to other guests while you were here, the space definitely would be a good thing. We never opened the sofa in the living room, which supposedly became an extra bed. The bedroom is located close to the front door of the room. Ours had two full beds. I found out how different (and difficult) sleeping on a full is compared to our queen at home. I found the bed uncomfortably soft and puffy, too. Did not try the restaurants at the resort, as we enjoy going to the grocery store the first day and making our own meals to enjoy with our view. There is a Soriana (kinda like WalMart) on the way in to Mazatlan from the airport, and there is also a Mega right in town. We rented a car, because our goal when we travel is to get to know the area and see the interesting sights. We're not much on sitting around the pool area, but if you like that kind of thing, there is a huge pool at the resort, and a smaller one with a jacuzzi that is meant for those who like it quiet. Pueblo Bonito is actually in Nuevo Mazatlan, which is about 9 miles north of the main downtown of the city. There is a large bus shuttle that runs between this resort and the sister Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan near the marina area, closer to downtown. It runs from morning til 11 p.m. There are taxis, of course, but the main form of transportation in Mazatlan is the pulmonia, a small open-air vehicle that looks somewhat like a golf cart on steroids. Some things to do while you're in Mazatlan:
1. Definitely take a walking tour of the old downtown near the main cathedral. My husband said that it reminded him of New Orleans in a lot of ways. Beautiful architecture and graceful old buildings.
2. If you're adventurous and have a car, take a 2-hour driving trip to the old town of Cosala. I believe there are tours to this city also. There are some other cities to see that are nearer to Mazatlan, including Concordia, El Quelite, and La Noria, which is famous for their tequila factory tours.
3. Rent a bike at Baikas located along the south end of the malecon (boardwalk), and ride the malecon, stopping at the beach palapas for some fresh aguachiles.
4. From the cruise ship dock area, take a panga (fishing boat) across to a peninsula called Stone Island, or Isla de las Piedras (I think the company with the pangas is called Playa Sur). The beach there stretches for miles, and is breathtakingly beautiful. There are several palapa restaurants right on the beach. You can stay there for hours enjoying the view and the sun. No one rushes you in Mexico.
5. Take a sailboat tour over to Deer Island. The tour leaves from the El Cid marina area around 9:30 a.m., and includes open bar and lunch on the island. While on the island, you can enjoy snorkeling, kayaking, and a trip on the banana boat. Fun and relaxing!
6. El Faro (the lighthouse) is at the top of a hill in town just across from Stone Island. For you who are in good shape, it's a fabulous view from the lighthouse. A hike, then 300+ stairs! Worth it!
Enjoy Mazatlan! And don't get spooked by the warnings about going there--it's a great place with tons of old world charm!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the third or fourth floor--the lower rooms don't have the view the upper on...
6 Thank Robin F

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We absolutely loved this resort. It is pretty far from the airport put worth the trip. We always rent a car when we travel so we can leave and explore the area. We had no problems getting around and driving. I recommend people to do this. The resort is very clean. Service was great. Very friendly. It is a truly great place and we want to go back next time for 2 weeks. The flamingos are so pretty. You can get a good workout just walking around the area. We spent a little time at the bar called Kelly's. It is expensive to buy drinks at the resort. So you need to know when happy hour is. 3 to 4 at the pool and 7:30 to 8:30 in the evening at Kelly's. The resort does not give you enough info when you get there. We got some info in spanish which we don't read. We ate at the La Cordeliere the first night. Excellent food and service. We also had a pizza from the pool area. We didn't do the all inclusive, we thought it was way to expensive. We like to go eat at different places and enjoy the local fares. They also have a nice jewelery store that they don't advertise. It took 5 days to find it. I bought a blue diamond right there for a good price.
We drove to the town of Mazatlan and also to the old city. We loved the food and the people. Food is pretty cheap and so is the beer, and it's always cold. Everyone was so friendly. Even the people who tried to get you to buy something from them were very friendly even when you said no. The Cathedral in the old city was beautiful. And you need to find the square down there and just walk around. We paid a cliff diver $20 to dive. Very cool. We ate at Chili Peppers, and Locos Locos next door. Poncho's On The Beach is very good. Gus and Gus was really fun in the evening. They have a group that sings American songs and are really good.
Lupes Locos or Lupes Lokos: This restaurant is excellent and is highly recommended for cold beer and excellent pescado frito and very reasonable prices. The service is fantastic and the food is delicious. If you like vanilla flan, have it here. Great place. The sign for Lupes Locos is easy to miss because it's on the beachfront palapa's roof below street level. It's located almost directly across from the Hotel De Cima. This is a great place to watch the sunset.
We drove to El Quelite. A visit to El Quelite not be complete without tasting the delicious dishes of the Inn of Laureano, prepared with products from the region and ancient recipes that date are still acclaimed by the most demanding palates of the region. Make sure you get directions to this town, we didn't and got lost. A fun place to visit, Again, we drove there and had no problems.
We were never approached to look at a time share. They might have left us a message but we were never contacted in person. I loved that. It's the first time we didn't do a time share 3 hour meeting.
Go if you can, you will love it.

Room Tip: I was told to get a room on the top floor with a balcony. We asked for one but they said they didn...
7 Thank Shalloh60
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Shalloh60,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experiences at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay and the city of Mazatlan, we're happy to hear you had a wonderful time and that you enjoyed every day during your trip. Hope to see you again at PB Emerald Bay anytime!

White Lake, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We recently attended a wedding and selected the all inclusive package. It was a good value, but the rooms were grubby and dated. They were clearly reusing dirty, stained paperwork and handouts which was really unappealing. The bed was not great, but we were so tired after our long trip that it really didn't matter. The food was OK. I enjoyed the Mexican night (go figure) and breakfast was always good, especially the buffet. The pool was marvelous, although sometimes tough to grab a waiter. We got to participate in a turtle release which was the coolest part of the trip (outside the wedding!) I will say they did a great job for the wedding and reception. Just make sure you have them review the music and play the edited versions :-) We had a little issue with some family members and the racy lyrics!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank mollypollywog
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful rooms, master suite is nice but not a good use of space.. A family of four two adults two teens need more then two double beds in one room and a pull out couch. I can't figure out why they designed them like that. My son ended up taking the lounge chair cushions from my parents suite next door and sleeping on them tucked in a corner so he could Avoid sleeping with his sister and sharing a room with his parents. The master suite had no balcony just windows that open.. It does have two full bathrooms which was nice. I was annoyed there was no coffee in the rooms. You had to bring your own or buy it from the onsite store. For the nearly 400 bucks extra we paid to upgrade the room I still figured they could at least provide coffee. The food at the pool is awesome and the staff and service at the hotel is very good. The restraunt food gets boring after a day or so. The shuttle to the sister property is great. Beware of the timeshare people.. I was so tired from traveling Nd they were quite pushy I had to tell her to back off because I did not have the patience for her pitch and was about to get mad. She backed off right away and did not bother me again. The grounds are beautiful, clean and lovely. The pools are fantastic but the hot tubs were gross. Wonderful sun rises and sun sets

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Teenager44
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Teenager44,

It is great to hear you had a good time with your family here at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, and that you enjoyed the grounds, the views, the sunsets and also spending time at the pool. We work very hard for giving the best service to customers like you.

We appreciate your feedback on the rooms, and will put in consideration for the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

my parents own a timeshare here and we have been here 4 times and have enjoyed our stay each time. Granted we have never had to pay for our stay so I honestly have a hard time coming up with anything negative to say about this place.
We love Kelly's bar in the evening, my sibling and my hubby and I would get together and have a few drinks and play tons of card games all the while enjoying the fresh breeze off the terrace. the beautiful pools are amazing and the beach is absolutely secluded, no vendors or people selling their wares to bother you. the water is nice and warm and very swimmable.
the rooms are nice and clean only thing I'm not a fan of is the duvet covers I wish they would upgrade the bed linens but I can say that this is me and my pet-peev. I have always slept well here and if you ask for down feather pillows they will bring them to you.
the whole thing with the timeshare people it's kind of an annoyance but we've gone through it 3 times and never purchased and even got some perks out of it. I don't think I will be attending it again however because I just don't plan on purchasing and it's a waist of my time. I've never tried to say no so I'm not sure how insistent they would be if you did say no to the timeshare presentation.
overall you will enjoy the location with a free shuttle between the hotel and the PB Mazatlan in the city where it's a short walk or taxi ride to delicious restaurants.
the food at Emerald bay is good however we did not buy the all inclusive option because we know this city a bit and knew we would be eating at some of our favorite restaurants and didn't want to be locked in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bcrisan
Dear Bcrisan,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write us your friendly review, and also for being a loyal customer to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay. We're happy to hear you had a great time with your sibling and husband, and that you had the time to relax and spend some time enjoying the beautiful views.

We appreciate your comments and will continue working hard to make our guests feel like home.

Tortola
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had a mixed experience and found some information misleading . In the evenings after dinner there is nothing to do , no live music , no dances, no movies nada , so bring a pack of cards . There is really only two restaurants on the grounds the others are snack bars at the different pools . You can use the sister hotel , is a good 20 mins away and a 10 dollar cab ride or a free hourly bus . There are not many restaurants there either and the nice Italian one ou have to pay a surcharge . I am noticing a lot more surcharges on chefs specials etc in both hotels. I met a lot of lot of people who eat out because the choice gets boring after 4 days . You will have to travel to find restaurants as none as close to this hotel but within walking distance of the sister hotel . The staff are getting pushy with tips and telling you you can get things cheaper if you tip , I clearly pointed out I had all inclusive so this did not matter . The rooms are not but I do not think its worth upgrading for a couple of people because you miss out of balcony . The kitchens are poorly equipt so bring some thing thing good to cut with with and anything you need to prepare food . We were there on new year and ended up with no dinner due to a total mess up on the number of people eating in th resort . We did ask if we should book and were told no , when w went to the restaurant we were told no room , no food and now we needed the booking we had asked about the day before !!!!! Our car was damaged and a few other things . The thing I do not like about the hotel and the reason I will not ever go back is the fact they have ignored 7 emails , no response , nothing ! The attitude is we got our money and now we do not care . we heard from others the standard is dropping . You cannot get your room key till they hassle you to take the tour , this did not go down well ith me having a 8 hour car ride . They are very pushy about the tour and then trying to sell you a time share . The grounds are amazing , the pools clean and there are a lot of them , the beach is rocky but nice with no vendors. The only evening bar is full of dead animals and photos of the guns and men who shot them , so animal lovers and vegetarians beware , we thought it was in poor taste . DO NOT BOOK on BOOKIT.com We ended up having so many many problems . Most of the staff were wonderful , waiters , spa , room staff . There is usually a que at the front desk , check out he night before because it takes a while to sort out all the things added to your bill that you did not have !! A little more customer service who go a long way . Do not get pushed into a time share with " todays offer only deal " take time and decide

Room Tip: Get a room near where you will be each day. For example. Adult pool , beach or activities area . It...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank LUV-TO-TRAVEL-SB
Burnaby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

They have you at an unfair advantage because they get you after you've been up since 4 am travelling to the hotel. They tell you to leave your bags outside and go inside to check in and then fellows will help you to your room with your bags. What they are really doing is setting you up. You go in to the counter and check in, then they give you this little piece of paper " essentially you may or may not need it again to take out a towel at the pool" and they tell you to give it to the ladies by the door and they will take care of you from there. The ladies by the door are the timeshare group and they are ruthless. We told them right up front " WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN TIMESHARES) but they insist the is not timeshare and " If you only give my $20.00 and go to the morning breakfast" I can get paid. I felt sorry for the women and gave the $20.00 which is given back at the end of the timeshare rant. They have the " first guy" walk you through the grounds and try his hardest to sell you and then it's onto the heavy hitter from the US and finally into the room with the guy with the calculator and finally 90 minutes later you are expelled out the other end just shaking your head wondering how the heck you got roped in the whole deal.
On the positive side, and there were lots, the grounds are beautiful and kept very clean, the pool are lovely and warm, lots of lounges and towels available. They do seem to have cut the amount of staff they had though as when we were in Puerto Vallarta we always had a waiter coming back and forth offering drinks but at this place you really have to go to the bar and get your own. The waiter circulates about once every few hours.
The rooms are lovely but actually they are a little too big. I know it sounds wierd but the front room area is so large that it echoes in there. We felt as though we should have brought others with us.
We did go into town three times, once on the tour ( very good) and twice just on the shuttle. They other hotel is not as big by far but seems nice. Good bar area on teh beach and good spot for a quick lunch.
The bed was great. I asked for a kingsize and was told they did not have one available but as part of the timeshare ladies efforts they did manage to find one. They have down mattress toppers which are great. I had asked for the top floor and again the timeshare lady was the one that made that happen. That is why I felt sorry for her and was willing to give the $20 and go for the presentation.
Do be advised that all alcohol IS NOT covered under the all inclusive. They call it a" deluxe meal plan" and if you want name brands, you pay. We went to Kelly's Bar and my husband ordered a double Baileys and that ended up costing us $16.00 us. Also if you are not into hunting or the " lodge look" with stuffed animals on the wall, do not go to Kelly's bar!
All in all it was well worth the money but I would not recommend it to my adult children because the median age of the guests at this hotel is around 60 I would say. Nothing wrong with it , just saying!

7 Thank ItsmeBurnaby