“Relaxing off the path in Mazatlan” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay

You added Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Ernesto Coppel Campana 201 | Camino Al Delfin, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Bedford, TX
“Relaxing off the path in Mazatlan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel, while older than the PB Sunset Beach, is comfortable, safe, with good service and lots of options. A top-notch spa. A variety of pool settings. A clientele which varies in ages with a lot of long-time owners who keep coming back. The bus takes you into town and picks you up so you hve the best of both worlds.

Room Tip: Decide if you want to be close to the main building or away. Either way you have ocean views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Terrebonne, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

If you are traveling to Mazatlan and want the 5 star resort treatment then Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay is for you. Just got back and had a great time. A little too big for me> I prefer the smaller places downtown in the Golden zone for their proximity to town and nightlife.
30 Minutes by shuttle to town. Higher prices in the shops and deli than buying in town of course but the pools are incredible. The staff is freindly, and Cesar and the rest of the gang with the recreation staff make this place. Always plenty to do and make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: Fold out beds need extra padding. Bring an air mattress or buy one down there.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This was our first time back to Mazatlan since 1983 and things have sure changed. Emerald Bay is gorgeous with their private beaches and attentive service. We purchased the all-inclusive meal plan. It does seem expensive but ate and drank like kings and queens. The property is expansive but there are carts to drive you to where you want to go. We stayed at a Villa so we had our own private pool and whirlpool; now that's luxury. There is a bus that took us to their other property Pueblo Bonito, from there you can walk to smaller and less expensive restaurants and shops and a massage therapist that cost me 200 pesos which is less than $20. We were here off season which is why things were cheaper. If you get the chance, stay here.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, On
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I love the Pueblo Bonito resorts and was thrilled with Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay. Our room was gorgeous, overlooking the ocean, adult pool and the gardens with flamingos. We had a studio and it was very spacious, light and bright with plenty of space. The resort itself is really beautiful - long, low buildings, beautiful, well-maintained grounds and 3 lovely pools. We had intended to use the adult pool, but there was absolutely no breeze and as it was hot while we were there, we wanted to be closer to the ocean. We actually spent all our time at the small pool at the far end of the resort (where The Bistro is located). It was very quiet and peaceful, no loud music and only ever a few people there. The pool staff were very friendly and helpful; great service. Special mention goes to Alberto.

As much as we enjoyed this resort, in my opinion there are certain things that don't measure up to the Pueblo Bonito Resorts in Cabo San Lucas. The front desk is not well staffed and although the service is professional, it's not very friendly. Same with all the other staff, who did not seem particularly friendly (excpect for the staff by our pool). We did have a couple of incidents. One day we lunched at the main pool. Asked for our bill 3 times over a 45 minute period - it never came, even after my husband went to ask for it the third time. Eventually we gave up and told them we were going to the other pool and if they wanted us to sign, they would have to come and find us!! The 2nd time was when we ate a late lunch at The Bistro. It was Happy Hour, but we were told that we couldn't take advantage of it because we weren't sitting poolside (we were sitting on the covered terrace next to the pool!). That is totally ridiculous - no need to nickel and dime people. If we'd ordered our drinks by the pool we could have had 2 for 1 and then brought them to the restaurant - makes no sense.

Another quibble is that the on-site grocery store is very small and really badly stocked compared to the onsite grocery stores at the Cabo PB Resorts. As this resort is really far out of town, it should have more of a variety. We stocked up for our groceries in town, but even getting little extras at the store was a challenge.

We didn't do the all-inclusive - we rarely eat dinners at the resorts where we stay - prefer to go into town and eat local food. We couldn't manage to spend that much in a day, even if we ate and drank non-stop. I do hope the Pueblo Bonitos don't become mandatory all-inclusives - they are really pushing it and giving special offers, 3 day specials, etc. We met owners who wanted to try the 3 day special, but they didn't want 3 consecutive days; it seems they weren't able to, so they decided against it. Again, a really silly condition.

Even though I have these criticisms, we still really enjoyed our stay at PBEB and would recommend it. However, it would be wonderful if they took care of these issues because then it would be excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher level floors in higher level buildings have the best views and are quieter. The roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I hope this review (or should I say mini guide?) provides assistance if you are planning a trip to Mazatlan. If it does, let me know.

Mazatlán is a great beach destination if you:

a) Live within a “short” distance (California, Nevada, Texas), say 2 or 3 hour flight.
b) Are more interested in an “calm” location than a ”wild” destination
c) Your priorities are more toward enjoying sun, beach and pool than looking for nightlife and 1st class restaurants
d) Play occasional golf (not a golf destination per se)

Even though I travel often, it was my first time to Mazatlán. It is not a premier destination for Mexico City tourists, as it is for regional tourism.

I have seen a lot of dynamism in other beach destinations where the “official” government touristic infrastructure entity called FONATUR has developed resorts (i.e. Cancun, Ixtapa, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, etc.)
I suggest you check their site: http://www.fonatur.gob.mx/en/index.asp

Mazatlán has not been the case. The locals tell me that there was some interest, but for an unknown reason they pull out. It is a shame, because Fonatur does make a difference to any destination.

What you will see in your way to the hotel from the airport is a city that has not been planned and not very well organized. The avenues across town toward the new zone where PBEB is, called Nuevo Mazatlán are not the usual touristic routes you find in the other destinations. Even living in Mexico you get a feeling of lack of services, and in severe need of paint, clean up and city improvement in general. You will not feel it's unsafe. I just mean that the city politicians need to shape up their town to get it to other touristic centers level around Mexico.

If you ask me I rather stay in the hotel, as it does not invite too much to walk around and enjoy the view, but that only me. It is also not a colonial city, like Puerto Vallarta.

I came for a convention, and locals gave me their best referrals for restaurants, which I found less than average again in comparison to other resort cities, (I find no sense in making any suggestions to you, but, if you want to push it, and only for the food, not décor or service try Los Arcos). On the bright side, you won’t spend as much here : )

Don't stop reading, there are good things too. The hotel is about as far as the hotel zone and condos ends, which is not bad. It will take a while to get there, but again taxis are not that expensive. The restaurant zone is called Zona Dorada (Golden zone) and then you enter Nuevo Mazatlán, which is better kept and growing.

The property is owned by a well known Mexican family, but this is not their main business, they do retail (Coppel Stores). Regardless, I think they have a decent act in managing the resort.

As a hotel, there are a couple of things I personally don’t like. It works as a time share and a hotel. This means that somehow they have a recurrent customer and don’t have to win their business in some services to get you back. The other is that as you check in, they try to sell you the property (I am a lost case for them regarding time shares, never have, never will).

So, is this a good hotel? Probably the best in Mazatlán. To other resorts standards, between 3 and 4 star rating.

What you can expect:

I. 4 store buildings distributed parallel to the beach. Beware: You NEED to ask for a 3rd or 4th level to get ocean views. I got a 1st level, but they moved me to a 3rd floor. 3 pools, (one is adult only, or maybe senior only?), a clean and nice beach. 2 Restaurants, good grocery store (think time share). The décor is a little bit awkward, they call it new roman. It’s like an Italian villa but sometimes they got kind of carried away. The gardens though, are very well kept. My wife complained about cleaning less in some places in the room, but she always does, so I don’t take points out for that.

II. The rooms are big, since it works as a time share (kitchenettes). The furniture is not first class, but still good for a time share property. (We just put some artificial plants out of our sight. With all the excellent gardens I can’t figure out why can’t they have some live plants inside or just get rid of the plastic ones). Our room was a Master Suite (dinning space), but our room had no windows. All the views are in the live in area. One nice thing was that we got 2 full bathrooms. Old TVs that do need urgent change, but still you can order some movies if you are in the mood (only family movies, don’t get too excited, Don Juan)

III. Big SPA, tennis courts, pool activities.

IV. Free shuttle to town (If you really must)

V. So-so restaurants. As you can buy all inclusive for your stay, that means that they do not invest as much in top food. These are not good news for the ones that pay for each bill, since I would better pay a premium for better food, but is not available. I don’t mean you can’t eat here, but I think it’s got the “all inclusive, time share” curse on it. (By now you know that on a personal standing, I don’t enjoy either). You will find decent buffets but nothing to rave about.

VI. You will see happy faces on most of the staff. In general I believe that service is better in Mexico that overseas, and this is no exception. They try to remember you by name.

VII. A free beautiful sunset show every day on the beach, where the sun drops into the ocean. One of these is worth the whole trip. Pelicans diving into the ocean for a late appetizer and lots of birds playing their favorite sunset tunes. Too bad they don’t have service at that time in the beach, so take with you your favorite drink (and cigar if you please) with you when you go to see the show.

Overall I rate them 3.5 stars. I reserve the 5 stars to real 5 star hotels and service. But again, I believe this is the best hotel available in Mazatlan. When the President or some dignitary comes, they will book them here, so I think that proves my point.

Two best kept secrets in Mazatlán:

1. If you golf, by all means try Estrella del Mar golf course. This is on the same level as other facilities I’ve played in Acapulco, Cancun and Cabos. You won’t regret it. (Don’t tell the manager, but he is giving away the fee!) 40 USD including transportation from the hotel, green fee and cart!! In other nice resorts you will pay 120 or more and you must rent your burro to get there. It will take like 45 or 50 minutes to get there (close to the airport, and the trip is nothing to remember), but still you’ll love the site. You need to take the free hotel transportation to Pueblo Bonito Hotel in the Zona Dorada and their van will take you from there (kind of rusted, but don’t get too picky).

2. The Mazatlan Convention Center. If your company is looking to have some sort of convention, do consider this place as an option. I understand it can handle more than 4000 attendees. It is brand new and has excellent facilities. It was a surprise for me. By the way they carry a Guinness record for the largest mural in the world by a single author. Very good venue, indeed.

So in a nutshell: You get a good beach, good sun, clean ocean, fair service, food and facilities, probably spend less than in Cabos and if your flight is less than 3 hours, you have nothing to lose.

Room Tip: You need a higher floor room, 3rd or 4th to get an ocean view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We were fortunate enough to stay at this glorious resort last January. Absoulte perfection - from the front desk staff to the waiters to the cleaning staff. Mazatlan can be quite cool in the evenings in January, but that's not enough to keep us away! We love this place and Mazatlan in general. We did not do all inclusive, and I don't think I ever would in Mazatlan as there are so many awesome places to eat in the Golden Zone, for far less $ than the all inclusive will cost. Anyone interested, send me a line and I'll give you my restaurant recommendations. This is the 8th or 9th visit to Mazatlan and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Junior suites all seem to have balconies, whereas the Master Suites do not.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I had the good fortune to get invited to spend a week in one of the villas. It was one of the most luxurious vacations I've ever had. Everything was perfect, I had a massage and a pedicure at the spa, the service everywhere was excellent and people are so friendly! Looking forward to next time!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!