“At the center of Mazatlan's Golden Zone and the best of everything!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel

Up to 50% Off
Ranked #9 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fremont, California
“At the center of Mazatlan's Golden Zone and the best of everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

I just stayed at this hotel with 6 other friends and it was an AMAZING experience! We have nothing bad to say. We booked two oceanview suite rooms and had the ELITE all-inclusive package, which was the best thing that could've happened to use. This "elite" status allowed us access to all restaurants and bars in all 4 El Cid hotels in Mazatlan without paying a dime for anything! Room service was also included. Definitely opt for the ELITE package, if possible.

The rooms were fantastic. I had read that rooms ending in -23 and -25 were the best views, and boy were they correct! I stayed in the room ending in -23 on the 19th floor, and couldn't have dreamed of more spectacular views! We had glass windows all-around, both in the bedroom and living room areas. It was fantastic, as if staying in an open-air suite.

The food was hit or miss depending on what you order and which restaurant you dine at, but overall no complaints there as well. We ordered room service countless times, and that was wonderful. Don't miss the hot chocolate -- it's a different mexican style one, and tasted fabulous. The tortilla soup, and the mexican egg specialties for breakfast were also quite good. We dined at the La Pergola restaurant at the Moro one night. This was an international buffet restaurant, which had a mexican dance dinner show included. Fun experience! Another night we dined at the Argentinian restaurant called La Patio at the El Cid Granada across the street. That was quite good! We ventured over to the El Cid Marina Beach hotel (free hotel shuttle takes you there) to try the breakfast buffet one morning, which had plentiful selection. We also dined at the Moro La Concha restaurant for lunch and various snacks. The food was plentiful regardless of where you went, and a good experience each time. There is a lobby lounge in the El Cid Castilla (next door to the Moro), which we hung out at late night (it's open till 1am).

The Moro had awesome beach access directly from the pool area, and also had beach service. We lounged on the chairs beachside and had waiters coming to deliver us drinks and food. It was great! The pools were great too, but a tad bit cooler (okay once you get in though). I don't think they were heated. We had fun jumping off the waterfall area, and just lounging in the pool and hot tub. One pool also has a swim-up bar attached to it. In addition to being easily accessible, the beach was a nice area to hang out. Vendors selling various merchandise were selling a bunch of crafty items, but if you ignore them, they are usually no problem.

All in all, this is a fantastic resort to stay at. No major complaints at all. We visited all 4 El Cid hotels during our stay there, and the El Cid Moro had the best view, pools, beach access, and overall environment.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Dear TravelAdvice101

Sincerely thanks for choosing El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel for your stay in Mazatlan! Our management team and entire staff has already receive your nice comments and been get excited about this.

Be assured that I will share your review with the head of departments concerned and that we remain at your disposal to welcome you next time that your travels bring you back to Mazatlan.

Best regards,

Mark Covarrubias McKay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
bc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Liked almost everything about the resort. However we found the dinner menu in La Cocha Restaurant to be very plain - would like to see a more sophisticated dinner menu. Also - there is no adult 5 star lounge with ambiance ie: lighting and candles and live music where you could go for a nice cocktail (only seems to be sports style bars), La Cocha Restaurant could double as a cocktail lounge after the dinner seatings. There seems to be a real problem with wine menus - had a really difficult time getting a really good bottle of wine - not every restaurant in the resort had the same wine menu. Our balcony furniture could have been better, a couple of lounge chairs would have been nice. The funiture in our living room was very uncomfortable as well. All in all it was a very nice resort.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2010
Dear jpandmo

Thank for taking the time to write a review of El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel on Trip Advisor.

Your valuable feedback is very much appreciated so that we can individually review your experience in order that we can take the necessary actions to continually review our service and standards offered at the hotel.

We were sorry to hear that although you enjoyed your stay with us, there were a couple of inconsistencies with regards to La Concha Restaurant. We are sorry to hear that you found the dinner menu to be a little plain. I will be sure to share your feedback with our Food & Beverage Director to ensure that we do improve our meals to exceed our guests’ expectations; we always want you to be satisfied. I also take note to your comments regarding our wine selection. Although we have received many great comments regarding the wine menu your comments have been shared so that we can learn from your valuable experience.

On a more positive note, we are delighted to hear that you liked almost everything about the resort .

I really appreciate if you could make contact with the hotel so that we can look into your very valuable comments a little further.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

king cty
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

The resort is not only spacious, well=maintened place but the staff is excellent:from the house keepers,waiters up to the management. the manager at the El Toro Tower assisted us on several occasions of illness. the doctor on site was also very helpful. we have enjoyed every aspect of it, the resturant right near the beach, great scenery, the good food, well presented..and so much more..We plan on returning each year for as long as possible..

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
Dear kingcty

I'm extremely pleased to read about your positive stay at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel and that the staff you encountered provided warm and sincere service. It’s always good to hear that our team cared for your family during your trip, we will be sure to pass your words along to our ‘enthusiast’ team.

El Cid Resorts experience is truly unique in that it offers a relaxing feel with dedicated service.

Warm regards,

Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Needing some time to catch our breath, we stayed a week. We were so pleased with service, food, relaxing atmosphere. The sunset cruise is well worth doing. Getting a palapa on the beach can be tricky. Be downstairs at 6 am to put stuff down. Otherwise the early risers AND the beach guy will beat you to it and reserve spots despite signs saying you cannot do that. Some reserved spots then stayed empty until the afternoon. But there are cons...we went for a "tour" of the Marina facility and were subjected to a harsh, in-your-face-aggressive sales presentation...stay away from there. Also, as massage therapists and instructors we looked forward to the spa...Alas it is way below resort spa quality and the massage work was at best marginal.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
Dear eisenteach

Thank you for taking the time to recount your visit to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accomodations and the hospitality of our team members.

It is only knowing where we fall short that we can identify actions to improve our service levels. Your feedback has been invaluable to us and I thank you for sharing it.

I hope your vacation plans include a return visit to Mazatlan in the near future. Thanks again for sharing your feedback.

Regards,

el paso tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

all types of service were great especially the beach service, the server aaron was always friendly and promp with drinks and food, i will definetelly look him up the next time i travel down there!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
Dear leisure69

Thank you for your brief yet meaningful review. I hope other users find this valuable in choosing their next hotel in Mazatlan. I will be sure to pass the feedback on to Aaron as I know he will appreciate the sentiment.

We'll see you next time!

Kind regards,

El Paso
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I have just returned from a 6 day stay at the El Cid Moro Tower Hotel. I was a little nervous after reading all the negative or lukewarm reviews, but I got a couple of nice e-mails from the hotel staff prior to departing that answered my questions and put me at east. I stayed on the 25th floor in one of the rooms with a partial ocean view which for me was just fine. I could see bird island and most of hermosa beach looking toward the hotels north of town. I could hear the ocean at night just fine. The pools are HUGE and great giving a lot of options for laying out. In fact there is a sign saying the Moro pool is the largest in Mexico. I was on all inclusive and the restaurants were really hit or miss. My favorites were las conchas at el moro because of the view and it was usually easy to get a seat for lunch or dinner. I also like the Italian restaurant in Castilla but they are pretty strict on the need for reservations even though they were about 1/2 full. The disappointing restaurant for me was the El Patio. I've bee to argentenian restaurants before and the meat is really point of emphasis. Portions were small, but again that appears to be the mexican style. The mexican restaurant La Cascada was fun great staff and the food was generally good. The highlight was the finishing mexican coffee which you must try. Buffetts were just ok at Castilla and El Moro whatever the location. You wont starve. But again I must temper my review with the knowledge that this a mexican style resort. Resort was catering to mostly families from canada and the midwest so I dont really blame them.
I liked the bar tender at the oudoor drink area at El Moro her remember how I liked my Margaritas and had them ready whenever I walked by. It wasnt hard to get a drink and I enjoyed the frozen margaritas and the pacifico beer.
Staff were generally nice and normally said hello to you. My maid Martha was delighful and kept my room nice and clean. She was nice to talk to in the morning and practice my spanish. The rooms themslves were very large. It doesnt say it on the hotel information but you basically get a full kitchenette with toaster, microwave, cook top, nice sized refrigerator and enough cooking utensils and plates to make do. Beds were a little hard i guess but not uncomfortable. Turndown service at night with the hersheys almond kisses was nice. The tubs are huge and while showering I would always look behind me because there was room for 3-4 people to fit easily behind me. Ohhh if those tubs could talk! All in all if you can get a good deal here and are looking for a central location in the golden zone, large room, king sized bed, kitchenette, great beach, HUGE pools and the very rare hottub at these hotels then this is the place for you. Its listed as a 3-3.5 star hotel on all the website and thats exactly what it is with a great location in the golden zone and on the beach.

Negatives would be the information desk really didnt know anything. I was told i got a 20% discount on tours when I checked in, but after asking later several times noone knew anything. There were so many different colored wrist bands I dont konw how anyone could tell them apart. In fact a time share guy outside the hotel noted my band indicating i was a VIP or whatever but he was the only one. At every mel i had to hold up my band and have the waiter take down the band number and my room number. The other thing that made me uneasy was the general responses to the various concerns many of which seem to be deleted now indicating to me they dont really care about making things better just some lipservice to address concerns. I am sorry so many people are having trouble with the time share people. Some of the guys at the desks along the street in front of the hotel were actually helpful with general information, but other than than i just didnt discuss anything with them.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

There was something magical about this resort that added a sparkle to every activity or event and we enjoyed our vacation more than we dreamed was possible.
The staff greeted us every day with warm smiles and quickly solved any issues that arose. Many of them had worked at El Cid for several years and obviously loved their jobs.
Our room was on the 12th floor and every evening we sat on our balcony with tequila drinks and watched the sun set over the sea. A few minutes later the lights of Mazatlan would be spread out below us, twinkling in the dusk as far as we could see.
The beaches are clean and good for walking for miles to burn off those Mexican dinners.
The dinner shows are amazing with various buffets and superb desserts, then the talented performers put on very good shows with hilarious audience participation. Everybody has a good time, including the cast.
Maybe because we are seniors we savour the more simple things in life, such as taking the local bus to go shopping and eating in little Mexican restaurants where the food is cheap and we can practice our Spanish.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2010
Dear shedorbc

What a warm, positive review! On behalf of the entire staff here at El Cid El Moro, we would like to thank you for your words of encouragement. Our staff takes particular care to welcome all of our guests warmly and let them know we are glad they selected our hotel whatever time they check-in, early or late.

We feel much honored with your compliments and comments and very happy because we could meet your expectations. Our team of professionals are here working hard to assure you a comfortable stay. For your future visits, please be sure to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more pleasant and memorable.

Thank you for taking the time to submit the review and to say such positive things...we welcome you back to the hotel anytime!

Yours faithfully,

Mark Covarrubias McKay

Been to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!