“La Concha Resturante” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 72 hotels in Mazatlan
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“La Concha Resturante”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Cervando Nunez is a great waiter at the La Concha resturante and by the pool resturante - Mazatlan Mexico. The food was great and service was exceptional. The have great lunch items and dinner is high quality seafood and other dishes. We will return to this location again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear: Warmweather2013

I really want to thank you for give us a couple minutes of you valuable time to recognized to Cervando Nuñez from La Concha restaurant. We were happy to read that our food and service was exceptional thank’s to Cervando we are so proud to having people like him working for us.
We look forward to having you with us again.

Cordially,

General Manager.

560 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Okauchee, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

One of the most disappointing properties we've ever stayed at.

Based on the property alone, I would never return to Mazatlan. We encountered extremely poor customer service. Many of the staff are not courteous or helpful. We had no assistance with our bags at check-in or check-out. At the "help" desk, I waited several minutes for 4 women to stop chatting - and finally had to interupt to request a massage appointment. We found the pool area filthy and watched waiters walk past debris flying around in the breeze. There were 4 lifeguards and towel staff sitting behind the desk - and yet no one thought it was their job address the debris. The man next to me had a plastic bag land on his foot and when he released it, it went back into swirl of cups and napkins and bingo cards floating through the air. I overheard two waiters offering 2:1 drinks to some customers (perhaps timeshare return guests?) but we weren't offered the same. And lastly we witnessed a beach vendor hussle a guest - he ended up drinking cans of Tecate under a palapa on a lounge chair with her. Isn't there some kind of protocol for beach vendors??

Lastly, the unit was most disappointing. Old furniture, smelled musty and the kitchen wasn't clean. Even the bedspread looked old and used, and the sheets had stains, towels were thin.

My list of complaints about El Cid is extensive - what was a very needed week of post-op rest turned out to be so disappointing purely based on the property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear: Okauchee, WI

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions. With each guest comment we receive, we view it as an opportunity to learn and understand our guest’s experiences and what needs to be improved .It is clear from your review that we missed many opportunities to create the experience you anticipated. First of all, please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience and concern you experienced pertaining to the service you received from our staff, it is just as shocking for me to hear this as it probably was for you to receive such service, it is rarer when we happen to encounter this problem, but never the less your comment has been token to the up most seriousness and will be dealt with immediately. Touching on
The subject of the beach vendors we have carefully reviewed his situation and reinforced the beach with security guys to ensure the safety of our customers.
We take note of each inconvenient in your situation and have made the proper improvement to prevent this happen to future travelers.

My best,

Holiday, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Hello Sal, You met my husband Jim and myself in October as we sat on the La Concha patio enjoying the spectacular view and sipping on Mimosas . Upon learning that we were from Ontario Canada, you shared with us that you had once lived and worked in the Ottawa area. We enjoyed chatting with you that afternoon and were impressed that you took the time to stop by to check and make sure that everything had been to our liking thus far.

We are home now, and wanted to send you a note to thank you once again for your conscientiousness. We have been coming to Mazatlan ElCid now for 4 years and have enjoyed our stay very much for many reasons. But this year the quality of food and selections of wines in all of the restaurants had improved exponentially and we felt that improvements of this kind needed to be mentioned and commended.

The grade of seafood and beef for example in the past had been disappointing. This year thankfully it had improved dramatically and seeing as Jim and I both enjoy good quality red meat and seafood, this improvement goes beyond just satisfying our appetites but also provides us with a much higher level of confidence when recommending ElCid Mazatlan to friends and family.
The menu improvements at ElCaza are also worth mentioning because they are very impressive and most delicious. Many "Members" that we mentioned the improvements too did not want to join us for dinner there as they had been disappointed with the fare in the past. However after listening to our recommendation, many of them either ventured over with us for dinner or went on their own. I am pleased to tell you that every group was very impressed with the changes to the menu and specifically the new Brussetta recipe was a hit all around.

The wine selection as mentioned earlier was also limited in past years, yet this year we were so pleased to see a Pino Giorgio as well as a Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon as an addition to the LaConcha wine list.

Having spoken up to this point of the improvements made to ElCid Mazatlan there is one thing that does not need to be improved upon in our estimation and that is the level of Customer Service. No matter what time, and no matter where we were, no matter what information we needed or what ever it was that we wanted, each and every ElCid staff member would greet us with a warm smile and then efficiently assist us.

Although I am certain that everyone working for ElCid deserves a special mention, we would like to give a "shout out" to a few employees that have over the years continuously provided us with an exceptional level of service. There is Rosy, ElCids "Member" Concierge. Sergio the Caddy Master. Martha the Golf Pro Shop's Manager. Leitia, the evening Cocktail Waitress at the Castilla Bar and her brother Candy a Server at La Choncha Restaurant and Carlos the evening Bartender who services Castilla bar and LaConcha restaurant. These employees mentioned have always provided us with the highest level of customer service and not once has either of these employees wavered, not even for one minute. Everyone in my book has a bad day once in a while, but if these people do, you would never be aware of it. They are professionals. Professionals who bring a "your family" attitude to everything they do for you.

In closing we would like to personally thank you once again for manning the ElCid Resort in Mazatlan so masterfully. Your noteworthy past experience in Hotel Management along with your on going commitment to providing excellence throughout the ElCid Resort in Mazatlan, is not only holding You and ElCid in good stead, it is also working out marvelously for all ElCid Members and Guests alike.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear, Jacquie M

Let me start off by saying what a pleasure it was to meet you guys, I am left without words on your delighting comments. It brings me such joy to be able to interact with guest on a more personal level thus also allowing me to acknowledge if there are areas that need improvement which is always a plus whenever I get the chance to do so it’s always great.

Thank you for taking the time in letting us know about your recent experience there is honestly no more gratifying feeling then to have our hard efforts recognized we have been working long and hard on improvements starting form renovation to our rooms to our restaurants of course there will always been room for more improvements so suggestions and comments are always welcomed!

I will definitely let all the staff you previously mentioned the awareness they deserve I’m sure they will be thrilled to hear about their outstanding customer service. We also truly appreciate that you have recommended us to others so they too can have the courage to come and see how great Mazatlan and El Cid Resorts are! I

once again thank you for your amazing commentary it has brightened up my day and I hope to have the pleasure in meeting with you once again if there is anything you need for any future visit please do not hesitate to ask .

Kind Regards,

San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Frequent visitor to Mazatlan, second stay at El Moro - Stayed here for a few days during late July. I'd like to cut the hotel some slack due to high season, but the service was uncharacteristically bad during this particular stay.

El Cid Moro is connected to El Cid Castilla (I believe) with a mall area in the middle. There are numerous ways to cut though the hotels to get to the street and surrounding businesses, which makes things convenient but sometimes confusing if you get turned around somewhere. Apparently during the evening they block off some doors from the Castilla to Moro. My wife and I encountered such a blockade on the way back from Senor Frog's one evening. Tired and with the lobby in eyeshot, we hoped that the evening security would move the luggage cart (seriously?) away from the door so we could get through. Instead we were met with a lackadaisical stroll to the door, a scowl, and a point at the "door closed" sign. Note that we were wearing hotel wristbands, so there should have been no questions about us being hotel guests. We backtracked and eventually found our way through the maze to the regular hotel entrance and continued indifference of the security personnel.

Our second unpleasant experience was with visitors to the hotel. We had plans with some family and friends to grab lunch at the beach one day and so they decided to stop by the hotel before hand. When they tried to come to our room they were stopped in the lobby and told to call us and wait for us there - No questions about "who are you visiting and what is their room number?" or a call from the hotel staff to validate we were guests, just held in the lobby. Again, I understand high season is a crazy time for the hotel and this may haven been reasonable if we were trying to bring a bunch of people to the pool. However this is the first hotel I've been to that stops guests in their tracks and makes no attempt to validate where they are going or who they are visiting. Not very family friendly Moro.

Staff issues and high season management aside, the property itself is pretty decent. Rooms are older but well maintained. Location is excellent. Stay at El Cid Marina if possible though, as the staff there is consistently fantastic (even during high season!).

Room Tip: I'm not sure if it is the timeshare only side, but the rooms off the main tower (right side look...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear AvastM

first but not least I’d like to thank you for being a repetitive guest and for taking the time to write your honest feedback on your recent experience , I do express my sincere remorse for you not having such a pleasant stay. Respecting the discomfort you had with some doors being closed at a certain hour of the night (11:00 pm) is for security reasons so we can be that much attentive and have more surveillance of the people who are coming in and out of the hotel it being that our hotel is particularly big. I apologize for the misunderstanding that occurred when your family and friends came to visit it is correct we do not allow visitors to go into rooms without being a guest however we always ask the visitors proper information which are the names of the people they are trying to locate or there room number, thus making is a bet easier to inform our guest this is why I am astonished and concerned to hear this thank you for bringing it to my attention I will most definitely take the proper precautions with this matter you can count on it. I hope you can re consider us in a near future you will defiantly see a difference.

Best Regards

Newcastle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Yet another wondeful trip back to El Cid. Really fun when the staff remembers you.

First, a big mucho gracias to Marisela Gonzalez, the Elite Customer Service Manager. She completely took care of everything for us. We emailed her ahead of time and she set our golf and fishing up for us. During our stay, Marisela went out of her way to ensure our reservations were accurate and even mailed a post card for me. With front end staff like Marisela, your trip will begin with a bang.

We golfed one day and again had Jose as our caddy. He is an incredible caddy/golf pro. He saw me doing a few bad habits and was able to correct those. He also knows those greens inside and out. He doesn't smoke and is absolutely wonderful. I highly encourage using him if you golf. Fun course with lots of challenges. Greens and fairways were in excellent shape. Rentla clubs were really nice Calloways. You just need to bring your shoes, balls, glove and tees.

We worked with Miguel the Harbormaster to book our fishing trips with the Aries fleet. We spent one day on the Aries IX with Gilbert as the Captain. He is fantastic as is his crewman. We caught a nice 25 pound Mahi-Mahi, 90 pound Sailfish we released and a 285 pound Black marlin we brought in as it was bleeding out of it's gill (meaning it would have been sharkbait anyway). Took an hour to bring in. What a blast. We also went on one of their Super Pangas for a bottom fishing trip and had a lot of fun doing that. We took frsh mahi mahi back with us and had the restaurnat cook it up for us. Nothing beats eating fresh fish you just caught that day.

We like to hang out at the quite pool. Big advantage for being in Elite. Nice and quiet. The staff was wonderful. A grande mucho gracias to Tomas. As a waiter, he excelled in customer service. He was incredibly gracious, right there when your drinks got empty and did everything in his power to ensure you were having a good time. He is the genuine real deal there. Take a bunch of the old Eisenhower dollar coins with you for tips. They don't get wet and the staff seams to like them. $2 bills work real well in a pinch. Even though your All-Inclusive plan may include tips, a little something extra goes a long way to get exceptional service.

So, a couple of minor thigns to work on. Please have security walk through the Quiet Pool (Grotto Pool) and kick out anybody who shouldn't be in there. They are typically the ones who are a little bit noisier aor don't know the rules about being quiet. One family showed up with a boombox playing local music. We were not happy and brought it to the attention of security. Security said they didn't speak English and blew us off. I knew this security eprson spoke English. So I don't know if those were friends of his or what but it was unsat. Happened only once.

For the General Manager, I have a suggestion for you. The next time you have a conference and have a mariachi band playing, I encourage you to bring yourself and your family to stay at the hotel and try to go to bed between 9-10 PM. You see Mariachi bands have horns that pierce your windows. The drum beats pound through the building. It is impossible to go to sleep. So please, come stay at your hotel and try to go to sleep. The solution is to have the band end at 10:00 pm. That would be fine and socially acceptable. Again, I encourage you to bring your family when this happens and try to sleep at your hotel. I think you will make a change for the better.

As for the conferences, there were two while we were there. We hardly knew they were going on which was really nice. Just a few extra people in the quiet pool who didn't have the right wristbands.

As for meals, we almost always ate at La Concha. Martin and Michael are the waiters to get. Excellent English and will go out of their way to help you and get anything you want. Make sure you ask for them. One works in the morning and the other in the evening.

Weather was perfect, staff was awesome and it was just a perfect very relaxing time. The ocean is the perfect temperature. Moring is the best time to bob around. Can get a little rougher and busier later in the afternoon.

We will be back in a year. We were told by the staff that very early October is a wonderful time to go. No conferences, nice and slow and great weather.

Great job by everyone there and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor in the El Moro tower for the best view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear: Mr. Craig P

We are so grateful for your time given to write this review and for letting us know about your recent experience of excellence. Big coodos to Marisela Moran for her outstanding customer services, as well as the following employees Jose, Miguel, Thomas and Gilberto You can be certain that they will be giving the recognition they deserve. I’m overjoyed to hear that you took full advantage of your stay with us and got to try out our golf fields, as well as chance to do so many activities such as fishing. WOW!! It sounds like you had a lucky day catching so much fish how exciting that most of been, and yes I most definitely agree it must have been such a gratifying feeling to have been able to prepare the fish you personally caught and having it served your way I’m content we were able to do that for you. All in all it sounds like you had such a good time which makes me ecstatic for it is our aim, to make everyone’s vacation unforgettable in your case I can see we met that goal.

Best Regards,

Willoughby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

there was 5 of us on vacation...we had a hugh room..2 bedroom and fold out couch..we each had a room to go to the balcony...each had our own bathroom...3 pools...ocean view and ocean to see all day long...tennis court and spa and etc...across the street...easy to get to...store down stairs...alot of shops to shop at...and every night there was this AMAZING show to see...we eat dinner and a show was right after it...they were AMAZING to watch every night...Enrike,Bruno,Alex,Mario,Marco,Adan,Ricardo,Jaimie,Manuel,Cervando,Martin,Louis,Memo....that was just 1/4 of the people that was so AMAZING there...they were there for us the whole 7 days we were there...they made our stay relaxing and so much fun...there was games to play at the pool...MUSIC was so nice...they played mexican and american music for all of us....the waiters were so AMAZING...we never had a emtly plate or glass...i loved the swim up bar in the pools...weather was great...i will go there again soon...all of my faimly will stay at El Cid El Moro beach hotel...GREAT waiters and show staff...and all around GREAT staff every were in that hotel...

Room Tip: we were on the 18th floor...great view every were from there....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear: Marylou H

Beforehand allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which all trip readers get to read about your experience of Excellency, and not only that but for also choosing us out of the many options we have here in Mazatlan to have the pleasure in hosting you. It is honestly such a great satisfactory feeling to hear that my staffs courtesy attention was what was able to accommodate your stay, Rest assure that they will congratulated on their strong efforts, I am proud to have staff like this on board for we strive to provide to perfection and will continue on working hard in this direction, our number one priority as well as main objective is the satisfaction of our guest, We hope to have you again with us soon.

Kind Regards

Wichita Falls, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My sisters and I travel annually to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel. We are all school teachers so we always visit in the summer. Every year we have an awesome view of the ocean. The rooms are very clean, cool and spacious. Having 3 bathrooms is a huge plus for 3 sisters. The staff and management are beyond wonderful. We can not say enough nice things about Jesus Osuna and Susanna Noseworthy in the sales department. Jose Carlos Velazco and Rosy Morales always double check our accommodations to make us feel special. The staff at the La Concha particularly Victor Villareal and waiters Michael, Jesus Coronado, Ramon Ramirez, Alexis and Rossy who cooks our eggs every morning. At the Marina Restaurant Jose Luis and the other waiters were especially attentive. Martin Garcia, the pianist, always plays something for "Texas" when we walk into whichever restaurant he's playing in. One of our favorite bellmen is Jorge and Efrain always arranges our transportation for us. We feel very safe and comfortable coming back year after year. We are looking forward to retirement so that we can experience Mazatlan during different times of the year.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear: Kathy C

I would like to thank you for take into consideration every single detail of your stay and a wonderful comments with regards to recent travel to Mazatlan. Thank you so much for your loyalty we are so happy to host you each year.

It was a pleasure to note how much you enjoyed your vacation and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your pleasant words. We appreciate all feedback; but, especially enjoy reading about the great experiences an outstanding job from our staff, we are so proud to having him working for us, be assured you that we recognize for their hard work and service.

I am also glad to know that we meet your expectations, El Cid Resort it once again, all departments are utmost important to make the difference, we work hard and take pride in insuring proper all our guest. We will pass along your wonderful experience to our employees as a job well done.

We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service and look forward to welcoming you back next year at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel.

Kind regards,

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!