“Not the strongest of the El Cid properties” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Up to 50% Off
Ranked #9 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
San Jose, California
“Not the strongest of the El Cid properties”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Frequent visitor to Mazatlan, second stay at El Moro - Stayed here for a few days during late July. I'd like to cut the hotel some slack due to high season, but the service was uncharacteristically bad during this particular stay.

El Cid Moro is connected to El Cid Castilla (I believe) with a mall area in the middle. There are numerous ways to cut though the hotels to get to the street and surrounding businesses, which makes things convenient but sometimes confusing if you get turned around somewhere. Apparently during the evening they block off some doors from the Castilla to Moro. My wife and I encountered such a blockade on the way back from Senor Frog's one evening. Tired and with the lobby in eyeshot, we hoped that the evening security would move the luggage cart (seriously?) away from the door so we could get through. Instead we were met with a lackadaisical stroll to the door, a scowl, and a point at the "door closed" sign. Note that we were wearing hotel wristbands, so there should have been no questions about us being hotel guests. We backtracked and eventually found our way through the maze to the regular hotel entrance and continued indifference of the security personnel.

Our second unpleasant experience was with visitors to the hotel. We had plans with some family and friends to grab lunch at the beach one day and so they decided to stop by the hotel before hand. When they tried to come to our room they were stopped in the lobby and told to call us and wait for us there - No questions about "who are you visiting and what is their room number?" or a call from the hotel staff to validate we were guests, just held in the lobby. Again, I understand high season is a crazy time for the hotel and this may haven been reasonable if we were trying to bring a bunch of people to the pool. However this is the first hotel I've been to that stops guests in their tracks and makes no attempt to validate where they are going or who they are visiting. Not very family friendly Moro.

Staff issues and high season management aside, the property itself is pretty decent. Rooms are older but well maintained. Location is excellent. Stay at El Cid Marina if possible though, as the staff there is consistently fantastic (even during high season!).

Room Tip: I'm not sure if it is the timeshare only side, but the rooms off the main tower (right side look...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear AvastM

first but not least I’d like to thank you for being a repetitive guest and for taking the time to write your honest feedback on your recent experience , I do express my sincere remorse for you not having such a pleasant stay. Respecting the discomfort you had with some doors being closed at a certain hour of the night (11:00 pm) is for security reasons so we can be that much attentive and have more surveillance of the people who are coming in and out of the hotel it being that our hotel is particularly big. I apologize for the misunderstanding that occurred when your family and friends came to visit it is correct we do not allow visitors to go into rooms without being a guest however we always ask the visitors proper information which are the names of the people they are trying to locate or there room number, thus making is a bet easier to inform our guest this is why I am astonished and concerned to hear this thank you for bringing it to my attention I will most definitely take the proper precautions with this matter you can count on it. I hope you can re consider us in a near future you will defiantly see a difference.

Best Regards

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Newcastle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Yet another wondeful trip back to El Cid. Really fun when the staff remembers you.

First, a big mucho gracias to Marisela Gonzalez, the Elite Customer Service Manager. She completely took care of everything for us. We emailed her ahead of time and she set our golf and fishing up for us. During our stay, Marisela went out of her way to ensure our reservations were accurate and even mailed a post card for me. With front end staff like Marisela, your trip will begin with a bang.

We golfed one day and again had Jose as our caddy. He is an incredible caddy/golf pro. He saw me doing a few bad habits and was able to correct those. He also knows those greens inside and out. He doesn't smoke and is absolutely wonderful. I highly encourage using him if you golf. Fun course with lots of challenges. Greens and fairways were in excellent shape. Rentla clubs were really nice Calloways. You just need to bring your shoes, balls, glove and tees.

We worked with Miguel the Harbormaster to book our fishing trips with the Aries fleet. We spent one day on the Aries IX with Gilbert as the Captain. He is fantastic as is his crewman. We caught a nice 25 pound Mahi-Mahi, 90 pound Sailfish we released and a 285 pound Black marlin we brought in as it was bleeding out of it's gill (meaning it would have been sharkbait anyway). Took an hour to bring in. What a blast. We also went on one of their Super Pangas for a bottom fishing trip and had a lot of fun doing that. We took frsh mahi mahi back with us and had the restaurnat cook it up for us. Nothing beats eating fresh fish you just caught that day.

We like to hang out at the quite pool. Big advantage for being in Elite. Nice and quiet. The staff was wonderful. A grande mucho gracias to Tomas. As a waiter, he excelled in customer service. He was incredibly gracious, right there when your drinks got empty and did everything in his power to ensure you were having a good time. He is the genuine real deal there. Take a bunch of the old Eisenhower dollar coins with you for tips. They don't get wet and the staff seams to like them. $2 bills work real well in a pinch. Even though your All-Inclusive plan may include tips, a little something extra goes a long way to get exceptional service.

So, a couple of minor thigns to work on. Please have security walk through the Quiet Pool (Grotto Pool) and kick out anybody who shouldn't be in there. They are typically the ones who are a little bit noisier aor don't know the rules about being quiet. One family showed up with a boombox playing local music. We were not happy and brought it to the attention of security. Security said they didn't speak English and blew us off. I knew this security eprson spoke English. So I don't know if those were friends of his or what but it was unsat. Happened only once.

For the General Manager, I have a suggestion for you. The next time you have a conference and have a mariachi band playing, I encourage you to bring yourself and your family to stay at the hotel and try to go to bed between 9-10 PM. You see Mariachi bands have horns that pierce your windows. The drum beats pound through the building. It is impossible to go to sleep. So please, come stay at your hotel and try to go to sleep. The solution is to have the band end at 10:00 pm. That would be fine and socially acceptable. Again, I encourage you to bring your family when this happens and try to sleep at your hotel. I think you will make a change for the better.

As for the conferences, there were two while we were there. We hardly knew they were going on which was really nice. Just a few extra people in the quiet pool who didn't have the right wristbands.

As for meals, we almost always ate at La Concha. Martin and Michael are the waiters to get. Excellent English and will go out of their way to help you and get anything you want. Make sure you ask for them. One works in the morning and the other in the evening.

Weather was perfect, staff was awesome and it was just a perfect very relaxing time. The ocean is the perfect temperature. Moring is the best time to bob around. Can get a little rougher and busier later in the afternoon.

We will be back in a year. We were told by the staff that very early October is a wonderful time to go. No conferences, nice and slow and great weather.

Great job by everyone there and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor in the El Moro tower for the best view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear: Mr. Craig P

We are so grateful for your time given to write this review and for letting us know about your recent experience of excellence. Big coodos to Marisela Moran for her outstanding customer services, as well as the following employees Jose, Miguel, Thomas and Gilberto You can be certain that they will be giving the recognition they deserve. I’m overjoyed to hear that you took full advantage of your stay with us and got to try out our golf fields, as well as chance to do so many activities such as fishing. WOW!! It sounds like you had a lucky day catching so much fish how exciting that most of been, and yes I most definitely agree it must have been such a gratifying feeling to have been able to prepare the fish you personally caught and having it served your way I’m content we were able to do that for you. All in all it sounds like you had such a good time which makes me ecstatic for it is our aim, to make everyone’s vacation unforgettable in your case I can see we met that goal.

Best Regards,

Willoughby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

there was 5 of us on vacation...we had a hugh room..2 bedroom and fold out couch..we each had a room to go to the balcony...each had our own bathroom...3 pools...ocean view and ocean to see all day long...tennis court and spa and etc...across the street...easy to get to...store down stairs...alot of shops to shop at...and every night there was this AMAZING show to see...we eat dinner and a show was right after it...they were AMAZING to watch every night...Enrike,Bruno,Alex,Mario,Marco,Adan,Ricardo,Jaimie,Manuel,Cervando,Martin,Louis,Memo....that was just 1/4 of the people that was so AMAZING there...they were there for us the whole 7 days we were there...they made our stay relaxing and so much fun...there was games to play at the pool...MUSIC was so nice...they played mexican and american music for all of us....the waiters were so AMAZING...we never had a emtly plate or glass...i loved the swim up bar in the pools...weather was great...i will go there again soon...all of my faimly will stay at El Cid El Moro beach hotel...GREAT waiters and show staff...and all around GREAT staff every were in that hotel...

Room Tip: we were on the 18th floor...great view every were from there....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear: Marylou H

Beforehand allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which all trip readers get to read about your experience of Excellency, and not only that but for also choosing us out of the many options we have here in Mazatlan to have the pleasure in hosting you. It is honestly such a great satisfactory feeling to hear that my staffs courtesy attention was what was able to accommodate your stay, Rest assure that they will congratulated on their strong efforts, I am proud to have staff like this on board for we strive to provide to perfection and will continue on working hard in this direction, our number one priority as well as main objective is the satisfaction of our guest, We hope to have you again with us soon.

Kind Regards

Wichita Falls, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My sisters and I travel annually to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel. We are all school teachers so we always visit in the summer. Every year we have an awesome view of the ocean. The rooms are very clean, cool and spacious. Having 3 bathrooms is a huge plus for 3 sisters. The staff and management are beyond wonderful. We can not say enough nice things about Jesus Osuna and Susanna Noseworthy in the sales department. Jose Carlos Velazco and Rosy Morales always double check our accommodations to make us feel special. The staff at the La Concha particularly Victor Villareal and waiters Michael, Jesus Coronado, Ramon Ramirez, Alexis and Rossy who cooks our eggs every morning. At the Marina Restaurant Jose Luis and the other waiters were especially attentive. Martin Garcia, the pianist, always plays something for "Texas" when we walk into whichever restaurant he's playing in. One of our favorite bellmen is Jorge and Efrain always arranges our transportation for us. We feel very safe and comfortable coming back year after year. We are looking forward to retirement so that we can experience Mazatlan during different times of the year.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear: Kathy C

I would like to thank you for take into consideration every single detail of your stay and a wonderful comments with regards to recent travel to Mazatlan. Thank you so much for your loyalty we are so happy to host you each year.

It was a pleasure to note how much you enjoyed your vacation and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your pleasant words. We appreciate all feedback; but, especially enjoy reading about the great experiences an outstanding job from our staff, we are so proud to having him working for us, be assured you that we recognize for their hard work and service.

I am also glad to know that we meet your expectations, El Cid Resort it once again, all departments are utmost important to make the difference, we work hard and take pride in insuring proper all our guest. We will pass along your wonderful experience to our employees as a job well done.

We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service and look forward to welcoming you back next year at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel.

Kind regards,

Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My daughter and I had an awesome time at the El CID Moro. The room had an amazing view of the beach as well as the city lights at night. The staff were all very friendly - Carlos, Memo and Sammy are awesome lifeguards, the poolside servers very attentive, and La Concha's scent of grilled beef will make a vegetarian eat meat! Best of both worlds - great facility and great value!

Room Tip: I think every room affords a beach view! The corner rooms directly facing the water has floor to cei...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear: Claudia L

Thanks so much for the wonderful words to El Cid Moro.

It is a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay experience with us and you have been well looked after by our team. Every single associate at El Cid, from life guards, pool side servers and the rest of team, are always trying to provide the best service and best facilities, thus to create an unforgettable experience.

We will share your nice words to Carlos, Memo and Sammy, I’m sure that they will be happy to know the results for a hard job.

We hope to have with us again in a not to distance future.

Best regards

General Manager.
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This will be a first for me, but I was so impressed with the staff and management at this hotel I am following up with an assessment for you. First, how anyone manages that many people and so many separate functions of daily hotel life is awesome. The staff, from the lady sweeping puddles of rainwater from the pool area, to the wait staff and front desk personnel, was outstanding. Their attitude and helpfulness is key to making a vacation totally memorable. On my last day, I spoke to one of the managers from the pool area and told him how my wife and I were impressed with the hotel organization and the staff. Their attention to detail, like remembering your first name and what drinks and food you like was unprecedented. It was hot during our stay, but you were greeted as an "old friend," as they set about their daily tasks. We never heard any grumbling, but all positive vibes from everyone. I would like to call out one individual who we felt went above and beyond - FRANCISCO RENTERIA (Barla Conchita). This man did everything - waiter, bartender, travel adviser, etc. He was knowledgeable about the Matzalan area, its food and drink, not to mention his recommendations regarding the many El Cid associated hotels and restaurants. He was a gem, so reward him appropriately. jn

Room Tip: We stayed down the hall from the elevators, so it was quiet. There were a few thing that should be n...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear: John N

I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments with regards to your recent stay with us in your first travel to Mazatlan.

It was a pleasure to note how much you enjoyed your vacation and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your pleasant words. We appreciate all feedback; but, especially enjoy reading about the great experiences an outstanding job from Francisco Renteria, we are so proud to having him working for us, be assured you that we recognize for their hard work and serve as an example to encourage the remaining staff.

I am also glad to know that we meet your expectations, El Cid Resort it is a big company, all departments are utmost important to make the difference, we work hard and take pride in insuring proper all our guest. We will pass along your wonderful experience to our employees as a job well done.

We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service and look forward to welcoming you back at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

Kind regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I had never been to Mazatlan before so we decided to go check it out. We stayed at the El Cid Moro Beach on the 19th Floor. We had an ocean view which was gorgeous. The room was clean and accommodating. The beds were firm but still very comfortable. The shower was ENORMOUS!
The staff at La Gruta Moro, namely Angel, Roberto and Leticia from the Lobby Bar, went out of their way for us. We had such a great time and had the BEST service ever! Angel made our stay better than we could have imagined he attended to our every need. The fun drinks and yummy food at the pool daily are a must! Angel took care of us with a smile every time! He is the best. Go find Roberto at La Gruta Moro, he too greeted us with a smile every day and took care of us in the restaurants every time we saw him! Go and see Leticia in the Lobby Bar at El Cid Castilla. She is awesome... from helping us decide where to go out at night, to just being an awesome cocktail server she is GREAT! We are coming back in the spring and staying at the El Cid Moro again! We had the best time and can't wait to come back! Thank you soooo much Angel and Roberto from La Gruta Moro and Leticia from El Cid Castillo Lobby bar. I miss the Dirty Monkey Drinks They are the BEST!!

Room Tip: We loved the 19th Floor view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear: Michelle L

I really want to thank you in your first time in Mazatlan you decide to stay at El Cid Moro Hotel.

It is great to know that you found our rooms in perfect conditions, the bathroom comfortable and spacious and enjoy our beautiful view that offered our 19th floor.

Standard services are very important to us, and we are currently also working hard to increase the comfort and facilities of the hotel. Leticia, Angel and Roberto will be pleased that they made such a good impression on your stay and that you had full confidence in the restaurants for their excellent job.

Your nice comments about your experience in La Gruta and Lobby bar restaurant are much appreciated. Perhaps on your next visit we can tempt you to experience our other restaurants, for example our Mexican Restaurant “La Cascada” or our Italian Restaurant “Alcazar”.

Again, thank you for all of your compliments in your review. When you want to revisit us doesn’t hesitate to contact me directly and I will help you in any way I can.

Best Regards,

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!