“Our Third Time Back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Newcastle, Washington
“Our Third Time Back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

First, Marisela greeted us in person. We've gotten to know her from our previous visits. That was a very nice personal touch. Marisela had us all set up in a beautiful room. The El Moro towers have the best views of the islands and the sunsets. The room was nice and big and in great shape and clean.

The food, service and facilities were wonderful. Of particular note, our servers tall Jose and Francisco greeted us personally. They brought us a normal standby drinks (6 Pacificos with limes and salt in a bucket of ice) without us even asking. All the pool servers and attendants would jump to get you chairs, umbrellas or whatever else you desired. They are all top notch. I bring the old Eisenhower dollars and use those as tips. They seem to really like them.

We make sure we pay the little extra for the VIP All-Inclusive. This ensures you get access to the quiet pool with the waterfalls, lobster at dinner, hefty fishing dicounts as well as golf discounts. We will always pay the little extra for the VIP experience.

We went golfing one day. The course is nice and pretty well maintained. Clubs were brand new Calloways. You're required to get a caddy. We had Jose Osuna Z. He also maintains the greens. He'll show you exactly where to putt. My putting was off the charts with his advice and I shot one of my lowest scores ever. Thanks Jose. We'll ask for you again. He also doesn't smoke so that was really nice.

We went fishing again with their Aries fleet. Again, having the VIP status gets you a 25% discount. We have always fished on their bigger boat the Aries IX with Captain Gilberto Arambula. He is a consumate professional and does everything in his power to get you fish and the boat is very comfortable with two fighting chairs. I'd recommend paying a little extra to get Ballyhoo for bait versus the Mullet they use for normal trips. Makes a difference. You can make your reservation with Miguel Barraza. He'll ensure your day is fun filled and stress free. Hint, get a box lunch the night before to take with you and save up some of your beers and bottled water from the day before to take with you.

We don't leave the resort so we can't comment on safety around the tourist area. Fishing and golf are all with El Cid.

Marisela and the staff will go out of there way to help you enjoy your vacation as much as possible. If you want a nice trip to the beach during the fall and winter, you can't go wrong with El Cid Mazatlan. Looking forward to coming back and fishing and golfing this October.

Room Tip: The El Moro tower has rooms higher up with great views of Deer and Stone Island and awesome sunsets.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear: Craig P

I appreciate you taking the time in writing this review to let us know how your stay was. We are very honored that you are a repetitive guest. Big cudos to Marisela for going above and beyond in making sure you were attended at your every need, as well as my other staff members Jose, Francisco, my staff is full of people who love doing what they do and they will definitely be congratulated for their hard labor. I’m glad to hear you found our food and facilities at your liking we work hard it always renovating our resort so we can have it looking its best, as well as our food we make sure we have a variety of options to choice from so everyone could have a place to eat and enjoy. It’s good to hear that you were able to enjoy some of the many things we have to offer like golfing and going fishing it sound like you had a great time. We hope this is a go on process for many more years to come to visit us we are always happy to assist in any way we can.

My best,

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Arroyo Grande, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had a terrific poolside waiter at the La Conchita poolside bar/restaurant named Francisco Renteria. He was attentive and really did a great job keeping us fed and watered on July 12, 2013. We had an all inclusive package and he was able to keep us satisfied from the menu items and even able to adjust/ customize some of our order. The drinks were replenished and rapidly cleared.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear: Michael L

What a pleasant comment! Best appraisal any hotel can get is a customer experience because of the good service and helpful staff! Please, accept my sincere gratitude on behalf of my all staff and let me assure you that thanks to such comments we will be getting even better.

Be assure that Francisco Renteria receive a mention for their hard work; we are proud to having him working for us.

We look forward to your next visit and to give you the experience you have come to expect.

My Best,

General Manager.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Weren't sure what to expect, but from the moment we walked into out two-bedroom condo, we were in paradise. The Pacific was smiling at us! We found our that we could buy the all inclusive package on a day-by -day basis, and we did it twice. It was great! Felix (like the cat) took care of us the first day, and he was amazing. As were Thomas ( or Tomas'), Michael in the restaurant, all gave A+ service. The maid who attended to our room was fabulous. She kept it spotless. Everyone went out of their way to make sure we were properly attended to. The only problem we had were with the beach peddlers. If the hotel could do something about that, we would have given a five star review. We found great restaurants within walking distance. Los Arcos for amazing seafood, and for the more down to earth local flavor there was the outdoor dining at Gus Gus. (Awesome band), Stop by Mary's Ice Cream down the street for a treat! A strong police presence made us feel very secure at all times.
We're from the East Coast, and it was a long trip, but well worth it.

Room Tip: Higher floors are away from the beach bands and the waves crashing at night
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear: KRSDC

Thank you for your glowing comments and for taking the time to post your review. We are extremely grateful to have received your recommendations.

It was fantastic to hear that you and your family enjoyed your trip to Mazatlan and the food and services at the hotel were to your liking. I will be sure to let the housekeeping team; along with the Food and Beverage team know of your kind words. We are very proud of our guest satisfaction scores for cleanliness within the hotel and I am delighted to read a very positive firsthand experience. I am a bit surprised about your comments regarding the beach peddlers. Kindly rest assured that we take feedback very seriously. We are strength the areas with more security guards to prevent this happen again in order to improve for our guests.

As you are no doubt aware, we are striving to be the first choice hotel among Mazatlan travelers…it is fantastic to read that you enjoyed the real life in Mazatlan and to know your experience at our different restaurants outside like Mary’s, Los Arcos and the live music at Gus Gus. We look forward to welcoming you back.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We traveled to Mazatlan with our family, my brother and his family, and my mom and dad. I do not see us returning to Mazatlan as it was a dirty city, and we were pushed to buy something at every turn. Overall we found the resort to be clean and enjoyable. The pools and beachfront were excellent. Representatives for the the resort sponsored attractions (fishing, Deer Island, etc.) were very pushy. However, the remainder of the staff was exceptional! Felix Flores, a waiter at La Conchita was outstanding. Further, the activities coordinators Frank, Gabriel, Christian, and Alejandra made the trip for our kids. The food and beverages were average. A great location for families with children: safe, spacious, and entertaining.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear: Mike M

We would like to thank you for your wonderful comments with regards to your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to note how much you enjoyed your vacation at our resort. We appreciate all feedback; but, especially enjoy reading about how you enjoyed our services and your great recommendation to families with children for a spacious and entertaining. I am also glad you found the hotel cleanliness to your standards as we work very hard and take pride in insuring proper cleanliness of our entire guest. We will pass along your wonderful experience to our employees especially Felix Flores from La Conchita, Frank, Gabriel, Christian and Alejandra from activities team as a job well done.

Unfortunately your recent trip to Mazatlan was not all for pleasure and we are sorry that we did not fulfill your expectations. I will pass your impression to the association of hotels in Mazatlan to let them know the impressions to our customer; I’m more than sure they will do something about it.

If you change your mind and give us a second opportunity to serve you, don’t hesitate to tell us at mamoran@elcid.com.mxit it would be our pleasure to having you with us again.

Warm Greetings

Post Falls, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I travel to Mazatlan frequently. I've visited many of the various hotels. This year we decided to stay at the El Moro. What a mistake that was!!! The only good points were the friendly waiters and the beach front location. It goes downhill from there. Upon check in, our room was filthy. Our feet were black if we took our shoes off at all. The bedding had stains and something white was dried & running down the side of the comforter onto the dust ruffle. Gross! The beds were rock hard & furniture outdated. It's was very hot & suddenly we had no AC for over 2 days! My kids were unable to sleep at all. Staff were rude about it & didn't seem to care. Not even water was offered. The lobby, pool & elevators were over crowded. My kids were pushed aside when trying to board the elevator and we became separated. I will never return. Thankfully, we also stayed a week at the El Cid Marina. The Marina is the place to stay. The rooms, staff and environment are much nicer there. We had heard of others requesting to be moved from the El Moro to the Marina & quickly learned why.

• Stayed June 2013
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear: Jeninidaho

Thank you for your recent review and your decision to return with your family to Mazatlan. It is wonderful to hear that you had a great vacation week at El Cid Marina Beach resort, and I am so pleased that you were happy with the friendly waiters and staff at El Cid El Moro.

I am sorry to learn how disappointed you were with your room at our El Cid El Moro property.
We care very much about our guests comfort and what you described sounds nothing like the practices and standards we take pride in. Unto itself, the lack of air conditioning is a sound reason for frustration. Our maintenance team did their best to resolve the issue but unfortunately, as some parts were needed to repair the system, the entire process took much longer than anyone we had expected.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and for not meeting your expectations at El Moro. We would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again and provide you with a better vacation experience.

Kind regards,

WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

First week was spent at el CID marina. 5 star all the way. Then transferred to el Moro. We had a lovely 2 bedroom suite on the penthouse floor. However, no AC. Heat rises----and we were on the top floor. It was cooler outside than inside. It was mid 90s inside the rooms. Had two kids trying to sleep. Had to soak towels to cool them. We would call to get information. Either we would be hung up on or be told one more hour. AC out from 19th floor up. That's a big problem to solve in one hour. The truth would have been best. Fans would have been great. Offering cold bottles of water would have been ideal. Nothing, nada, zilch. No sorry, no explanation, no compensation. Nothing. It was as if we were putting them out. We asked to speak to the manager of the hotel. Guiremo introduced himself as the manager and wasn't very helpful. Asked if we could move back to the marina. He said no. I had to ask if he would be willing to provide all inclusive bracelets for the three days we spent in the sauna in our room unable to prepare meals. Most of the food spoiled. He reluctantly gave a day and a third. (Late afternoon bracelet then the following day). Wow, if this is how members on the penthouse floor were treated, I don't even want to know how others were. My take on the management style of the el Moro: we don't care about replete customers. Get 'em in, get 'em out! You guys could learn a whole lot from the Elcid marina. Even the bell boys aren't as personable. Smile. It's contagious. Sorry to be so rough. But sometimes the truth hurts. I will not be returning to el Moro, nor will I have friends and family stay there. We will stick with the marina. Also, the bedspreads had odd stains. Ewwww. Dead bugs behind couches. Moving the furniture to clean would be helpful.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear: placid1Wa

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. While it is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your two bedroom suite and the incredible views at El Moro, I am sincerely sorry for the uncomfortable days you experienced without air conditioning. I can certainly understand how difficult it was for you with two small children.

As I have mentioned in other reviews, our maintenance team was trying their best to fix this problem quickly and efficiently but there were a few setbacks along the way including the fact that we needed to order new parts to repair the air-conditioning system. This was a first for us, and we have learned a lot. We have amazing staff that are always dedicated to help in any way possible, when and where the problem is one that we can control, but I understand and agree that we could have done more to make you feel comfortable in this unusual situation.

Of course we are very glad that you loved your stay at El Cid Marina Beach, here in Mazatlan. However, we hope that you provide us with another opportunity to welcome you to El Moro and provide you with a worry free vacation.

Sincerely

Seattle, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

If there was a option below terrible I would choose it. In 2010 we stayed at the cancun El Cid and loved it. So much we bought a trial membership to come back. We wanted to try another location because we wrongly assumed it would be the same. This is the worst vacation I have ever been on in my life. Almost everyone of the guests don't speak English. Some barely understand what you are saying and say rude things about you in Spanish when you try to be nice to them. The only employees that are nice are the waiters and bartenders. The food is horrid the only edible restaurant is the Italian themed one. We literally have ants in our hotel room and stains all over the furniture and bedspreads. Pretty sure there was a feces stain on one of the beds. Everything is overpriced and the so called "all inclusive" service excludes multiple restaurants. The member quiet zone pool is the only semi-worthy place to be. It's supposed to be for only members but they don't enforce the rules. You can't step on the beach without being harassed by peddlers and they are completely un-swimable, infested with jelly fish and sand crabs. The pool closes at 9 pm even for adults and so does the majority of the hotel. There is so many things wrong I cant even list them all. I will never come back to Mazatlan and sadly probably the same for all El CID resorts. Don't waste your precious vacation days here.

Room Tip: Don't ever vacation here
Dear: Hannah N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions. With each guest comment we receive, we view it as an opportunity to learn and understand our guest’s experiences, as there is always ways in which we can improve.

We are sorry to hear that you were uncomfortable with the fact that many of our guests, at this time of year, do not speak English. As a Mexican resort with a mix of both national and international customers, that is something we have no control as we aim to provide outstanding service to all of our guests. It just so happened that during the days of your stay, we had more national guests. This is also the time of year when we have jellyfish at different times of the day, and for the protection of all we strongly recommend that no one swims in the ocean. This is monitored closely as mornings are usually the best time to swim, but the safety flags indicate the conditions.

With regards to your comments about the food and the lack of supervision over the member’s pool, I have shared your observations with my food & beverage and security team to ensure that changes are made. We know that we can improve.

I would welcome hearing from you to discuss the details of your stay and can be contacted at smeza@elcid.com.mx should you wish to do so.

Cordially,

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!