“El Cid Moro Tower stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Minnesota
“El Cid Moro Tower stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed at the El Cid Moro Tower from May 27 to June 3. We took King David for transfer from airport to the hotel, and that went very smoothly. Cost us $8 per person for each way. Check in went OK, and we somehow got by the time share person and didn't have to suffer through a presentation.
Our rooms were very nice, stucco walls, tile floors, kitchenette (we didn't cook, but the refrigerator and microwave are nice to have). Water pressure in the shower was great. We had a little deck, but we were on the 9th floor and the rail was just above my knee. It made me quite nervous to be out there, and of course it afforded no privacy.
The pool is beautiful and the serving staff are nice. People in Mazatlan generally are very nice! The front desk people are, in our experience, typical of Mexico resorts. They aren't on commission, you can tell from their attitude and efficiency. And most of them have limited English skills, so there is often a question about comprehension of issues. I don't understand why the people in direct contact with guests aren't screened for language skills. Most of the guests during our stay were Mexican, but there were a significant number of Americans even in this off season. El Cid is no different from other places we've stayed, I'm just making an observation about the hotel culture.
We didn't go all inclusive, but we did have poolside drinks, and they were very good. We also had a Saturday breakfast buffet, and it also was good. We were told by the front desk staff (two guys, one spoke little English and the other none) that there was a Sunday brunch but it was at the El Cid Marina. It took them two phone calls to get complete information about it, since they didn't think to ask price, time, etc the first call. We took the shuttle over for the brunch, and I'm still not sure we were at a brunch or their all inclusive breakfast. The Saturday buffet was much better and had a better selection.
I've read many El Cid reviews before our trip, and I believe some of them were overly harsh. We probably got an updated room, but people talk about the hotel being “dated”. Not so. It isn't 2013 in construction, but it's a nice place. The pool is spectacular also.
I will state some negatives, which are almost inevitable on any vacation. First, we have two rooms adjoining with two TVs, and one stopped working our first day while the other had funky sound that came and went. I mentioned it 3 consecutive days to the front desk, and they dutifully wrote it down. And no action was taken. No big deal, we aren't here to watch TV, but I wanted to watch some NBA semifinals last night, so yesterday I contacted Senor Sanchez of tripadvisor fame, knowing that he would jump on it. After leaving him a note, he tracked us down within half an hour, and when we got back to our room both TVs had been replaced. He's a guy that gets things done, and he's very nice. You hate to bother a guy over a simple TV problem, but know that El Cid has someone who will help you if you need it. And stuff happens when you're on vacation.
The rail on the deck was a big deal to me, and I noticed that another tower had a small rail a little higher on some of the floors. I'd go higher yet, my center of gravity is about two feet above the rail. The view is great, but I'll take safety over view.
As others have mentioned, the beds are hard. I was OK, but my wife complained.
One more issue typical in Mexican resorts is expensive resort internet. It's 2013, and Americans use the internet daily. We expect a hotel or resort to provide this as part of their service. We go to Ricos daily, get a coffee and maybe a sandwich, and we use their complimentary internet to stay in touch with the world.
If you're going to Mazatlan, El Cid is a nice choice. If you need someplace that was built in the past 5 years, don't go here and then complain that it isn't brand new. I'll try load some photos with this review.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear gringo,

Thank you for contributing with all your valuable observations about our facilities. There is always room for improvement and we appreciate your honest opinion. We are glad to hear you found your room accommodating as well as our facilities such as the pool, I do however apologies for the inconveniences with the TV, we are working on making renovations and we are hoping to have this done as soon as possible. Your comment stating that “You hate to bother a guy over a simple TV problem” by no means was it a bother this is what we are here for no matter what the problem is if it’s a problem it’s our duty to fix it and in your case I am glad to have had the pleasure to have personally fix your problem and help make it more pleasant for you. I am flattered to hear you found my service efficient and helpful, however It really concerns me to hear about your problems with reception I will definitely take matter into my own hands and have a serious talk with the department. I hope you come and visit us again I can assure you you will see a change. We take everyone’s comments into consideration it is a major process in helping us become the best hotel we can be !

Cordially,

591 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Wayne, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Our favorite resort,we own time share and found the many restaurants ,shops,activities,beach,pool,and excellent staff make our vacation memorable every year.
Our special thanks to captain Enrique and waiter Arturo in LaCasada restaurant to make our stay amazing.The attention paid on the grounds and rooms to keep clean help to make our stay pleasant. Also Luis at check in and checkout always make it a quick and smooth transition.The waiter service at the pool is exceptional,and would highly recommend ElCid for couple and family vacation.
Gaetano and Joyce Sponzilli

Room Tip: We always ask for ocean view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear: minimejs

We want to thank you of taking your time to write your comments and sharing your experiences with readers of TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was unforgettable and that our facilities as the restaurants, shops, activities, pool areas and our staff in generally where efficient. We are glad that you found our staff friendly and helpful, especially the captain Enrique, the waiter Arturo at the Cascada restaurant and Luis from the Reception desk. I assure you they will get a mention of their great work.

I hope to have you back with us in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I went with my family and friend to stay here as a graduation gift! There is so much to do around the hotel, with multiple pools, restaurants, bars, shops, with wonderful staff from the waiters to the maid service. Also, Francisco at the bar La Conchita is the best waiter. He got us fed right as we got there, as we were tired and hungry and just off the plane. Every American who is too afraid to go is missing out. This place is safe and marvelous.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear: Reina D

It sounds like you had a great time. On behalf on my whole staff we would like to thank you for taking the time in writing this review and for noticing all of the Grand touches throughout your stay it becomes very helpful to others that haven’t had the opportunity to enjoy our hospitable staff attention. We are lucky to have Francisco on our team I will congratulate him on his great effort. We hope you come and visit us again soon and enjoy more of what we have to offer!

My best,

Salvatore Sánchez
Collegeville, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I just came back from our first vacation in Mexico staying at the El Cid El Moro Beach Resort. The staff there was incredible but three individuals stood out to make our trip memorable.
First was our waiter Josue at the La Concha Restaurant, he was a true gem. I never met a kinder genuine person in my life. It seemed like his goal every day was to make sure we were happy and comfortable. The next 2 heroes was our 2 poolside waiters Angel and Jorge from La Conchita, these 2 hardworking guys must put 20 miles a day on their shoes hustling back and forth between the poolside guests. They too made us feel like VIP's with the treatment they gave us.
All 3 of these guys left such an impression on us that we asked them to pose with us for photographs as memories of our fabulous stay there. We are looking forward to our next vacation there.

John and Karen MacNamara
Collegeville, PA USA

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear: mrmac1958

On behalf of the entire team at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel, we thank you to your wife and you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are always very satisfied to see that people liked their first stay so much they come back and stay with us again. Your recognition of our Team is delightful, and we are very proud to having them working for us.

Indeed it seems that from the very beginning you were treated well. This is what everyone at the hotel strives for. We take pride in making every occasion a special one, and in personalizing our service to your needs. We hope that we can make your next vacation even more special that will provide memories for years to come!

Your comments have been passed along to all the food and beverage department heads along with all our wonderful staff members whom you mentioned by name.

We look forward to welcoming you back to sunny Mazatlan in next time so that we can make your next stay equally unforgettable.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Family of four (Dad, Mom, 10 year old girl, 7 year old girl) just returned from 8 days and 7 nights at the El Moro from 4/27 to 5/4. It was the best more relaxing vacation ever. Yes, Francisco is the best waiter at the pool. Okie Dokie is his catch phrase. Ramon at the pool is terrific too. All the wait staff at the restaurants and the pool are AMAZING. Best service we've ever had. The Activities Staff at the pool is terrific and my 10 year daughter Lindsey won two events and two prizes. The pool is the best in Mazatlan, the location is great and we enjoyed every day. The El Moro is a must stay if you have kids or just want to sit by the pool. The pool is heated in the winter.

Only complaint and this is very minor is the WiFi internet. It is slow and spotty and you can only have it on 1 device. It costs 300 pesos for the whole week. Rico's Cafe WiFi was even spottier. I run a small business and was able to use it and conduct my business every day though. If you need WiFi just be prepared to wait a little longer and shut down a few times to restart it but otherwise it worked.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear: Ryan98366

Thank you so much for your recent 5 stars review, I’m so glad to hear that you and your family had a wonderful time during your last 8 days at our hotel. We are left without words to explain what this means to our team we really appreciate it.

We are proud to provide unforgettable vacations, even more so to know that our employees were an important part to meet your expectations providing an excellent service, for us what’s most important is exceeding the expectations of our entire guests, and is very gratifying to see results of a hard work as in this recent review. Be assure Francisco, Ramon and the entire staff will receive mention for their great work, I’m sure when they read this feedback, they will be very happy.

Furthermore, I’m sorry to hear that your experience with Wifi did not meet your expectations. We are constantly looking for ways to improve upon our guests’ experience and welcome any suggestions.

We appreciate you taking the time writing this review and we hope that you will come back to the El Cid Moro Hotel on your next trip to Mazatlan.

Monterrey, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed in this hotel from May 9th to 13th and this was my first time in Mazatlan. The first thing I would say is that the service is excellent. Staff is always willing to help and we got an upgrade in our two rooms to a big suite. This hotel is all-inclusive but we found several inconveniences in which the bar that was closer to us closed at 6:00 pm and we needed to walk all the way to El Cid Castilla bar to get our drinks. In several occasions we ended up buying our own drinks to get around this problem. Snacks were also not available at night and hotel rules didn't allow to take them out of specific areas.
As far as the hotel is concerned, it's really old looking and lacks maintenance. As I understand it was one of the best hotels in Mazatlan back in the 80's and 90's but I don't think this is the case anymore.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear: Jose c

Let me start off by thanking you for giving us a few minutes of your time to share your observations on you recent stay.

We are so glad to hear that you found our staff to be helpful and provided an excellent service, also that we were able to provide you with a more comfortable room.

I apologies for your comment in regards to the all inclusive plan your observations are really appreciated, your feedback important to us to help us be successful, we are searching for the best ways to cover this area and offer more convenience to our customers.

We keep working on improving areas of the hotel, to mention a few we are renovated numerous guest rooms, and have a new restaurant terrace called La Gruta, added a new poolside restaurant and lounge.

In closing, each member of our staff (myself in particular) looks forward in discussing your concerns openly and honestly in hopes that through our efforts we can earn your trust and confidence once again, hoping that in the future you will give us another chance to serve you.

Warm regards,

General Manager.
Glendale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Went here with my boyfriend in April of 2013. Have to say, had an amazing time. If you plan to visit, Enrike (with a K lol) at the activities center is such fun! He made the experience for us an unforgettable one. He is funny and big hearted. Also, Jaime who was a writer there, was so sweet! He made us yummy drinks and was a smart guy. We had great conversations with him and he was very entertaining and made us laugh a lot.

Room Tip: View is a must!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear: Talinjan

I really want to thank you for this wonderful comment, I sure Enrike from activities and Jaime are more than happy to read this great review, I really appreciate your recent contribution of 4 stars at Tripadvisor, this is very important to us.

Hope to see you in a future visit to this paradise,

Warm greetings

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!