“Overprice hotel 2nd day of my stay .....crap!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #7 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Kazoo, Michigan
“Overprice hotel 2nd day of my stay .....crap!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stay away from this hotel, they are full of lies and promise things over the phone .... When u get here is nothing but old fashion furniture outdated Tv's they charge like if u are staying in a 4 star hotel .... Well let me tell you you can compare this place to the 2 or 3 hotel in us.....Not worth u money.... Believe you will be as disappointed as i am I got here yesterday (2/9) and nothing but headaches alReady.
I was in a 2 1/2 star hotel overnight a day before getting here and let me tell u that hotel was way better than this crap. Do you math...
Their all inclusive is nothing but crap, and lies.... Yes inclusive buttttttttt doesn't include this, that, and the other..... Really? So what the hell did I pay for...
sALVATORE SANCHEZ .... Manager ? Really I would like to speak to one .... Because this is crap
............................................... The tv and furniture is like your grandma's .... So old. And they promise a new studio for my stay?
A new studio if u were in the 80's that will be new...uggggggggghhhhhhhhhh so mad. I can't even type. If u like motel 6 yes... Come on over you will love EL CID..... Jajajaja lol
Don't waste your time, money and your vacation.
......................DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
I will try to survive this crap...... I'm on my 2nd day and will leave next Saturday. So mad that trip advisor has over rated this hotel. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't waste your time, money, and vacation!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Mr. or Mrs. Xio E,

I am very sorry you were disappointed in our facilities. We always strive for our customer's satisfaction and well bing, and we're sorry we were not up to your standards.

I have an open door policy for any guest that wishes to contact me, and everyone at the front desk is instructed to let me know if a guest needs assistance. This is my personal email (smeza@rlcid.com.mx) so please feel free to contact me if I can offer any help.

Again, we're deeply sorry you were not happy in our facilities but do extend an invitation to come back back again so we can pamper you as you deserve.

Salvador Sanchez

590 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My sister and I spent a week in El Moro mid-January. On our first day of vacation she tripped and fell on the streets of Mazatlan. To her dismay she did fracture a toe and sprang her ankle, she had to be on a cast and on a wheelchair for the whole trip.
I can not expressed and give a fair enough review of the service we were given at El Moro by the staff. Everyone went out of their way to physically and emotionally make her feel safe and able to enjoy the resort and activities. Several people/staff actions went soo far above their duties that (unknown to them) brought both of us to tears. We knew Mazatlan was a friendly town, we did not expect to feel so welcomed.
Our room was always impecably cleaned! thanks Rosalie for great service- we were on the 15th floor with an outstanding view!
Unless you need a wheelchair to move you woudn't notice that the access around the resort is somewhat constricting. the ramps are too steep and sometimes very narrow, however the waiters, security officers and even lifeguards were right by our side to help when needed!
LifeGuard- Carlos went out of his call of duty to make sure my sister was safe and provided her a way to enjoy her MAIN reason to be in Mazatlan: sit by the ocean and enjoy the sun, view and everything else- short of not being able to swim- . My most deepest thanks to Carlos for carrying her in his arms up and down the steps to the beach! Had it not been for his genuine concern, wonderful humor and strength, our visit might have been less enjoyable.
I may forget names! but my sincere thanks to Ricardo, Ramon (el Bello), Gustavo from La Concha restaurant for wonderful service and keeping us smiling!
Thanks to Ivan, Felix and Fco. for great service at the pool and beach area.
We met people from many countries and made some lasting friendships! we will try to plan and return to El Moro for a "do-over" soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear: GypsyAZ

Your descriptive testimony of the impressions and wonderful rating of your recent vacation is dearly appreciated and we thank you for the kind review.

It is wonderful to learn that your expectations were more than met during your first stay. The level of service delivered is a reflection of the pride and dedication our staff takes in each of their duties and we are confident of being able to welcoming many more guests very soon.

Your comments will be shared with our team and we shall especially forward your commendations to Carlos, Rosalie, Ricardo, Ramon and Gustavo who are part of our most valuable asset – our staff.

Your comments are highly appreciated and represent a great factor of motivation for us to continue in our mission to take good care of our guests and to make them feel at home.
Again, thank you for your encouraging remarks and we look forward to host you soon again.

Kind regards.

pittsburgh pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I just returned from the El Cid El Moro room 7121-7122. This was my 3rd stay and I can't say enough good things about the place. We did not have the all inclusive. The breakfast buffet was great. The waiters were really nice, We also enjoyed dinner several times in the same place. We went to the Mexican Fiesta on Wednesday night across the street. It was a great show with a live Mariachi band and two singers, Loved the dancers and the dancing horse. Attention managers: I have already told one of the hotel managers. I think you should not allow the sale of Tequila shots (pouring Tequila down the guest's throat while yelling and cheering loudly) while the band is playing and the singers are singing. This was rude and distracting. I felt like I was at a Fraternity party.!! The evening was enjoyable except for this. Can't wait to return to the El cid El moro next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear: maresPittsburghPa

Along with my team, I sincerely appreciate your positive comments and I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Your kind recognition of our service is greatly appreciated and very warmly received. I take much pleasure in recognizing our restaurants, and about our Mexican party their genuine care and attention you receive in these places are towards ensuring your stay is exceptional in every way. I am very pleased to learn that this was the case for you and shall be extending your comments to our staff.

I will bring your comments to the F&B director regarding to the shots in a Mexican party, maybe this not convenient to our customer, your suggestions are really appreciated to us for be better day to day. That’s why we taking care in each review.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our Resort in the near future.

Best regards,

Port Orchard, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Clearly, the drastic decline in Mazatlan tourism is affecting the service levels in many resort properties. During our week stay at El Moro, we exchanged observations about this with several guests at other resorts who come to Mazatlan yearly. Our visits to Mazatlan, covering 53 years, are not as frequent, making the change even more dramatically felt. We were also able to compare the quality of our experience at El Cid with one at the sister property, Marina Beach, three years ago.

Our suite was on the 27th floor with an expansive southern view down the beach to downtown and the lighthouse on the far horizon. The balcony was just adequate for a couple, although four could squeeze in. Unfortunately, the age of this building reveals itself in its structure - the balcony "railings" are heavy structural elements of steel and concrete that obscure much of the view from sitting position. This is how such buildings were designed 40 years ago, and the El Moro was (I think) the first real tower resort in the Gold Zone. The unit's interior was also dated and not special. It appeared almost identical to the Marina Beach resort we stayed at in 2010, and I made the same comment in the TA review of that stay. The beds are not as concrete-hard as in many lodgings, but the industry still has room for considerable improvement (how about some gel-foam toppers from Costco or Walmart, please). We didn't use the kitchen for cooking, but with some help from housekeeping, you should be able to get by for in-unit meals.

The sitting furniture included the customary cushioned-topped built-in concrete "sofa" and a chair that had worn-out cushion support. Nothing in the interior design or furnishings will impress you.

Our one-bedroom unit was a studio connected to a hotel unit, providing two large bathrooms. The hotel unit side doesn't include a second balcony. The bathrooms were fine in design and functions.

Now to the All-inclusive program. We experienced each of the all-inclusive restaurants in 2010 and recall that all dinners were O.K.-to-good. Not so this trip. While the breakfasts and lunches were fine and sometimes very good - either from the buffets or menus - the dinners were at best passable but more often almost terrible, especially the La Pergola buffet dinners. You would do better at McDonald's (a place I never patronize). We chose the A-incl option for time-saving convenience, but the terrible dinners gave us reason to find a couple of great new restaurants to meet friends downtown for wonderful meals. They, among the annual visitors to Mazatlan we met, said their resort had similar declines in quality of services, likely from lower guest patronage. We noticed it everywhere and recognize the severe toll this is taking on service jobs throughout the Mexican tourism industry.

The El Moro property otherwise was a very nice venue for a vacation. The staff, like the Marina Beach in 2010, is terrific. We particularly enjoyed Evelyn at check-in and Martin, Felix and others on the restaurant service staff. The El Cid management group clearly knows how to train their personnel to care about the primary product in any successful business, customer service. Doing that well can mitigate many other failings, especially in this industry. Kudos, again, to El Cid's management team for maintaining top-tier service while making obvious cost adjustments elsewhere to keep their resorts in business.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking beach towards sunsets are "luxury" suites and not available to timeshare...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear: spyder3010

Thank you for taking the time to review El Cid Castilla beach club. I am sorry that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies… comments like yours will assist us in maintaining and improving our service and product.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the meals and please rest assured that I will pass your comments onto the Director of Food and Beverage so that he can look into it. I feel sorry to hear that you have bad impression to our all inclusive, after your comment I have gone to each of the restaurants and I take the time to check quality standards they should have. Any time an issue is bought to our attention it is rectified immediately.

We are currently in the process of touching up our rooms to ensure our high standards. This project will be finished in the near future.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. I hope you will be able to experience the difference the next time you stay.

Kind regards,

Carterville, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Angel was the best waiter at this resort! He was excellent! He took care of our every need. All of the other waiters were good as well, but he was special. Of course we tipped well, but 20% in Mexico for excellent service is so appreciated!

My friend and I stayed at this property in the Penthouse and had a paradise experience! The PH is 2 floors, 4 bedrooms, hot tub on balcony, huge living/dining room, 4 bathrooms, and views that you can't imagine. Way more space than 2 of us could use.

There are so many pools, but the main one is salt water, which was warm and fun. For more privacy, there are other pools with hot tubs and cold water, just couldn't sample them all! Beach is right there, and service is good there as well. Hotel restaurant is good, but venture out and eat well at some local establishments. Never got sick once!

Dear: Wendy B

El Cid Resorts would like to thank you for staying in one of our hotels in Mazatlan and for a positive feedback you wrote here. It is nice that people like you bother to share their perfect experience. We appreciate it highly, because we think good position in Tripadvisor is essential.

We truly appreciate our guest's feedback. I was happy to hear that your stay was so pleasant, and you and your friend had the opportunity to enjoy the facilities and the great view from our PH, the great pools and the service providing from Angel and the rest of the waiters that we offer. It was our honor to serve you. Be assure I pass your comments to my staff for let them know these great comment.

If you do come back to Mazatlan (which I recommend, as it is a completely fabulous place to visit - and live), we'd be honored to serve you again.

My best,

General Manager.
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed at the El Cid Moro Beach Resort in January 2013.
It is an all suite resort with views from every suite. Very large, living room, dining room, kichen,
2 bathrooms. One bedroom. Marble floors, granite counter tops in the kitchen.The staff was very friendly and helpful. Everyone went out of there way to make sure we had a good time.
We ate at La Concha Restauarant the first night. Beautiful setting and atmosphere. I would recommend when visiting Mazatlan to order shrimp. Shrimp is supposedly the second largest business in Mazatlan. FIrst being tourism. So order shrimp if you like it. Order it every different way you can. The lobster was not as good as it was frozen, make sure when ordering you are asking if its fresh. The swim up bar was fun. They have the all inclusive option and the EP option which is not inclusive. They also offer an Elite Plan at the El Cid Castillo which is the next tower beside the Moro building. Some of the restaurants are not included in the all inclusive plan but if you go to ELITE you will get it all.
The beach vendors can be a little bothering but they section off part of the beach so that you are in a separate area. They really need the tourists to go back to Mazatlan.
We took a catamaran sail trip to Deer Island which was a fun way to spend a day.
The water was a little cold in January to go swimming but you can always go for a swim in the pools. We went for dinner to the El Cid Marina which is another nice El Cid resort, but they only have one restaurant,The rooms are very nice there too, not many vendors as you are at the Marina. Take a trip to Mazatlan, you will get a lot for your dollar, especially staying at an all inclusive resort. If you ever need a driver or tour guide contact Ramiro Padilla at Tour Service.

Room Tip: All rooms have some sort of view of Ocean. Prefer ocean front or looking south down the beach and th...
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband, two kids (age 6 and 2), and I just returned from a week at El Cid El Moro. We were there last year in January as well. Thank you to all of the amazingly helpful and friendly servers at the buffet restaurants. An special thank you goes to Guillermo for making sure I didn't eat anything with nuts and for bringing us the most delicious guacamole!

Suggestions: 1. have mexican food options every night at the dinner buffet
2. change the Mexican Fiesta night back to being included in the All Inclusive. It was very disappointing to be asked to pay for something that we all loved last year and was included.
3. Don't charge for wifi please.

Very clean, beautiful, fun place to take the kids!

Room Tip: The corner rooms in the El Moro (any floor room number ending in 23 or 24) Ex. 2023/24 would be the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear: Lady

Thank you for your comment with reference your stay at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel. Thank you also for your recommendations about our hotel.

We are proud to Guillermo is an excellent worked he have been working here for many years and they keep guests like you coming back again and again…hearing comments like yours about our staff in different areas makes us even prouder.

We deeply regret that we were unable to meet your expectations, and we would like to assure you that we are currently working on rectifying the challenges. I want to inform you that we have a Mexican restaurant every night and have the buffet nights for more options to our customers, any way I will try to add a dishes Mexican in a buffet. Regarding to the Mexican party, we are renovating to present this show again in the not too distant future, not take away from our theme nights, we are just taking a time to renew and come with more force. On to the comment about the internet services the Wi-Fi has a charge because we have an external company who works with us to provide a service, which are also around the areas checking to make sure everything is up and running well. We are grateful to you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Please let me know personally when you are next intending to return to Mazatlan as I would love the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel and do not hesitate to contact me or any of the team members if we can be of any assistance.

Best regards,

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!