“Was a nice break with some challenges, but the Margarita's made it all better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel

Special Offer
Up to 50% Off
Ranked #9 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Chapin, South Carolina, United States
“Was a nice break with some challenges, but the Margarita's made it all better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We got picked up at the airport and were greeted by sales staff that was very nice and explained the tours and all inclusive deals during the 30 min ride to the hotel. When we got there we went to our room and then came down to finish our plan for our stay that took way too long to complete the paperwork. We stayed in theElCid Moro, 23rd floor and room was spacious but a little dated but accomodating with the kitchen and nice views. We finally finished and enjoyed a late lunch and after enjoying some relax time had dinner at the dance show (it was alright but needs some work before going to Vegas).
As for the hotel, as noted it was nice but in need of upgrading and the beds were hard with little give; the grounds were very nice and pools and water falls glistened in the sun. I would stay there again but will probably stay at the Marina even though we would have to travel to the Moro dining room for meals. now for the only negatives were we had no water one morning for about 45minutes and one nights found ants in one of the bathrooms and felt the staff was a little slow and never did call us to let us know the water was working, and very poor follow up.
Lets talk food and drinks! Well the food was good but you had to choose between the many mexican dishes, especially on the buffet at Breakfast: there were pleanty of choices and all the food was very good. The drinks were good as well with one exception, the Strawberry Margaritas were "The Best"! We truly enjoyed ourselves and hoped they wouldn't run out of strawberries.
Last was the Waiter staff, we must give high marks there as we had Joshua the whole time for Lunches and Dinners and were treated superbly. He was always by far the most accomodating to our needs and we felt he was truly interested in making our stay comfortable and special; would also add that one of the managers "Victor" keeps a tight ship and the Dining Hall was always very well kept and tableclothes were changed daily with different colors and themes, a truly nice touch for those that appreciate the little things to make your stay pleasurable. However I cant say the same for the other dining establishments. If you go to the mexican Sushi bar expect a disappointment with both food and waite staff. The all inclusive requires to make reservations before 5 PM daily for some places and not sure why since there were more waiters than diners (2 tables of 2) in the Sushi Bar.

Room Tip: the Moro has larger rooms and nice little kitchens in the suites, even on a side room we had beautif...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
labtec359
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

First, when I got to the hotel, everything worked out fine and had a decent room @ the other hotel. I think it was the El Cid Beach. After a day, I kept receiving a call from front desk stating that I did NOT have all inclusive package and from bookit they never sent the entire paper work. Therefore, I was down graded, and they switched my wristband colors. After dissatisfaction, bookit and the hotel, was nice enough to upgrade me and place me in the El Cid Moro in the corner 23rd fl with a view. OMG, it was an apartment overlooking the beach and the sunset. The most beautiful scenic site I have EVER seen. The hotel was able to contact bookit.com and make all the necessary arrangement to make my stay pleasant and no further interruptions. Left a basket of goodies full of fruits as well. ; ) Stay at El Moro. The experience in the service is night & day when you are served at the pool. Definitely will rebook for next year to stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear: Labtec359

Thanks for your recent review, it's very satisfying to see how been going from bad to good, fortunately we are pleased to know that we could fix the situation with a wonderful finish, I’m so happy to know my team was a support as they usually do for clarified the misunderstandings.
I am very pleased to know that you enjoy our rooms, amenities, view, and that had a great experience after that happened, our principal goal is make happy faces, we love when our customers write about their experience.
Thank you once again for letting us be part of your vacation and for this great review that allows readers to decide which option is the best when they travel to Mazatlan.
If you decide come to Mazatlan, feel free to contact me.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Thanks a million for the wonderful times I had at the El Moro pool, mainly due to the activity leaders such as Christian, Rogelio and Enrike. Every one was very polite and very professional. Keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear: Denis R

A million thanks to you for make us part of this great experience, be assure that will past this great review to all the activities guys, I’m sure that they will be happy to see their names In Tripadvisor, this is of result of the wonderful job.
We await your return and the endless possibilities we will have to make all your visits memorable.

All our thanks,

Everett, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We have 1 week a year there.
Last stay Nov 5-12,
The property is showing some age, but is clean and the people are pleasant.
I would prefer that they get rid of the "all inclusive" as it drives down the quality of the restaurants and the drinks.
As in anyplace in Mexico the time share folks pester you to do a "breakfast" with them, to try to sell you more or different time.
The resort and surrounding beaches were safe, and no evidence of the "drug cartel" is seen.
The appliances and cooking utensils could use an upgrade, but you can get by with what they have.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room as they have balconies and good views. Higher is quieter.
Dear: Dogguy_12
I want to express my thanks to your recent contribution in Tripadvisor; though some comments were for improvement is assured that we ready take a note for make the adjustment and make it right.

Regarding your note in which you mention about our low quality of food and drinks, we want to know if your experience was the same in all our restaurants as it is that we have certifications in our hotel on record the quality of our food and we are concerned regard the comment.
We are working on renovations in the Hotel, we know that in this highly competitive market we need to be updated, is a project that we hope to finish next year.

I would like if you give me the opportunity to show you a few of renewed areas such as La Gruta restaurant, Late snack, and rooms in our Hotel. I’m sure in your next visit to our all inclusive you will have another opinion.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in not too distant future, please let me know.

Happy Holydays,

General Manager.
Palmer, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

All of the waiters at this establishment were wonderful. But two were exceptional: Jorge and Francisco Renteria. In addition to the great service, they were fun and added an extra dimension to our vacation. If we are able to return, we will certainly look for these two outstanding waiters.

C Jones

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear: Ms Claudianne J

I really want to thank you for your great mention about our two special waiters Francisco Renteria y Jorge. I´m very proud about them for the wonderful job and make your stay more pleasant.

As always, thank you for your time and review which we really appreciate. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us at El Cid Moro, and especially that our staff went beyond your expectations.

We look forward to having the sincere pleasure of welcoming you back and many more occasions in the future and if I personally can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

With Season's wishes

Seward
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Couldn't have had a better time. The customer service is great. Waiter Jorge (not tall one) was attentive and respectful! Trips to Deer Island, Stone Island, Tequila Tour, and to downtown and Cathedral were exceptional. Suntanning and horseback riding on the beach. Participated in pool exercise activity and shows at La Pergola. Had massages at the spa and manicure/pedicures. All inclusive is the way to go as the meals were superb. I'll go back soon.

Dear: Ms Debra J

I am very happy to read that you are enthusiastic about our service and that we were able to meet your expectations with the service we provided you and the ambiance of our hotel.
As a part of our commitment to constant improvement and delivering greater value to our guests we guarantee that every visit to our hotel will be a unique and memorable experience, so letting us know how good we performed during your stay is a real great help to us!
I hope we will soon have a chance to welcome you back and deliver even more pleasant surprises!

Warm greetings

General Manager.
CLINTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Another glowing report on El Moro and Castilla (El Cid Resorts) in Mazatlan. We watch, from our unit, as the grounds and pools are swept and cleaned every morning - a dedicated crew. They revamped the La Concha Restaurant this year and we watched as a new Bar & Grill Restaurant went up out by the pool area - so much work!! They are making it into a fancy
night time eatery. The food is wonderful at any of the many restaurants on property and they have about anything you could ask for on the menu's - Master Chef Ching Chang and Chefs David, Juan & Reuben made us a wonderful Parmesan Chicken. The pulmonia's
Carlos Berdegue, owner of El Cid, has a wonderful, friendly group of people working for him. To mention a few that went above and beyond to make our stay a most memorable one: Guillermo, Rosy and Karla at the front desk; Capt. Joel, Capt. Guillermo, Ricardo, Armando, Gabriel, Ramon, Edwardo and Martin; hostesses Jeniffer, LuPita, Anahi and Luisa; and cooks Carmen and Teodora at LaPergola. Also, Jorge, Luis and Saul, always a pleasure to see. The Welcome Gals: Maricruze, Carmen O, Laura, Carmen D, Ana and Emily and others I don't know - you do a wonderful job greeting and helping the people checking in. Club Elite group: Marisela, Estefany, Karla, Giesel and Yuvia - you keep that department running smoothly. Enrika, the activities guy is a marvel - getting everyone to play all the activities and getting them in the pool to exercise. A shout out to Angel (pool waiter) and Adon (in lobby) also - 2 great guys we visit with every year. Last, but not least, Salvador, general manager - you're doing a great job, pleasure to meet you. Whomever I left out, please forgive me. We are blessed to have so many friends (family) and look forward to seeing them every year. I also want to thank the lifeguards at El Cid and anyone else that assisted, in my husbands dizzy spell - they were quick to respond and professional. A special cab around Mazatlan (and no where else) is a Pulmonia - a fun ride.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear: bguinn clinton

What a pleasant comment! I Know I speak for others when I say that I appreciated the thoughtful gesture to share this comments to us, I feel so proud to have a wonderful team working at El Cid and I pretty sure Carlos Berdegue believes in the same way.

I´m glad you were able to use the facilities of our hotels, restaurant food, beverage…It´s really nice to know that we have to offer a variety of new options to ensure the guest´s experience is highly memorable.

Best appraisal any hotel can get is a promise that our guest is going to stay with us again because of the good service and helpful staff! Please, accept my sincere gratitude on behalf of all my staff and let me assure you that, thanks to such comments we will be getting even better.

The girls at Club Elite miss your presence, feeney's and zinfandel has become part of the elite club since your visit.

Happy Holidays

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!