“Great View!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Portland, Oregon
“Great View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I researched this Hotel from Trip Advisor members and they recommended staying in the tower on the higher floors. I emailed the hotel early on and requested the tower. We also got an email saying that the hotel would pick us up. Found out that the bus that was picking us up was time share people. Found it hard to say no to their sales pitch since we were already on the bus on their tab. The representative was very nice of course.... she offered a free breakfast the following day with that 90 minute sales pitch that turned into 2 hours plus discounts on any trips and all-inclusive meal plans. Again, thought it wouldn't be to painful because of the discounts. We decided to take the Stone Island tour the city tour and buy 4 days of all-inclusive food/drink plan.
On arrival we checked in and again I reminded them of a high floor. They gave us the rooms on the 27th floor, one more floor up was the penthouse! The Bell-hop took us to our rooms had we had a breathtaking view of the ocean! We had a two bedroom unit that had windows with three different views! The room was not the remodeled unit. We know this because beside our room they left the door open for people to see the newly remodeled version. NO big deal though, our view made everything else not mater! Plus, the shower flow was very impressive! The televisions were the old style and not HD so, you really counted your blessings when you are home watching your favorite NFL team playing! The kitchen in the unit was only good for making coffee and storing water bottles in the fridge. It had a 2 burner stovetop with no oven but, you got a toaster oven. SInce we did not know the area we did not venture out to find a super-market plus, we were getting a discount on the meal plan from the timeshare people which was $36. per person a day from $69. per person.
After surviving the timeshare presentation they hounded us several other times which was annoying but tolerable. The El Cid was very big at first, it would have been nice to have a better blueprint of the facility. The food was good but we did get sick eating at their (new) poolside dinner restaurant. We narrowed it down to the salad with blue cheese crumbles on it. STAY AWAY from the blue cheese!
The first tour we signed up for was the Stone Island tour. They shuttled you over to their sister hotel El Cid Marina and you got on a catamaran which sailed you over. This was very nice trip. You sailed pass Bird and Deer Island and the Light House. We even ran into a school of dauphins! Once you got to Stone Island (which is not really an Island) you boarded a wagon which took you through a village and you ended up at a restaurant on the beach. We went horseback riding and had a blast and did it twice! They cooked you lunch but, you had to get bombarded again with vendors and timeshare people. Everyone has something to sell. The next tour we took was the city tour which was through the timeshare people. They took you to two leather shops, two jewelry shops a candy store then finally to the old church in town then to their restaurant where they made you buy lunch. Didn't expect that agenda. But, again everyone has to make a buck.... plus, we didn't know the area and felt safe in numbers.
Being on the top floor we had a spectacular view of the ocean and we also saw everything from up there....too much maybe! We saw too many large Sting Rays swim by close to the shoreline which made us NOT get in the water. Also, the vendors were relentless. We were always at the pool where the service was awesome. If you were laying on chairs at the beach you would not have peace. On fifth day into our week, the hotel staff put up a fence to keep them out but, it did not work because there was no one to enforce it. It was humorous to watch the vendors walk inside the fence like it was even there. We could not even walk or go to the hotel wall without them harassing you. Glad we had that great room with the view!

Room Tip: High floor of the tower!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear: Debbie G

Thank you for your detailed and truthful review and for exposing the good things of the hotel as well as the things that needed improvement. We are very surprised about some of your comments, I would like to share with you that we have taken good note to prevent this operational situations.

Regarding the room you had during your stay: We are currently under a full renovation program. We are trying harder and harder to upgrade the property and put into account everyone's suggestions; we are slowly but surely making changes in our hotel.

In reference to vendors on the beach that you have mentioned, we have had a talk with security department, addressing your review. we are trying to do something differentI to keep them away from our customers.

I have worked with my team to bring a new energy and focus on customer service to our guests. I can assure you that we have made significant improvements, both in filling our premises and in taking good care of our guests. There is now a very different feeling around the premises.

If you would be so kind to give us another opportunity to host you in the future, I can assure you that we will work diligently to ensure your satisfaction, and that you will be pleased with our service.

Best Regards,

590 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Hayward, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

if you want more than 100% service by the swimming pool; ask for Ramon Morales at the Conchita bar. He goes the extra mile for you.
great person, excellent amigo and if you want something that the bar does nnot have, he'll get it for you like magic.

Room Tip: All rooms are ok; you do not spend too much time in there anyway
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Indime

Your recommendation about Ramon Morales at La Conchita bar made us feel very proud of having them as part of our team because they are doing their best to follow in the direction to score our most important goal: make our guests happy.
I hope we will soon have a chance to welcome you back and deliver even more pleasant surprises!

Kind regards,

Green Cove Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

For your first trip to Mazatlan El Cid is a good choice. They have multiple pools and restaurants on site with all inclusive meal plans. If you want to explore they have an onsite day trip company with many options for exploring local areas of interest. They are right on the ocean and very close to the tourist zone with many good restaurants. Also the local bus to the historic section runs by the entrance and costs less than a dollar.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up tend to be quieter with better views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear: gringobill

First of all, thank you so much for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I am very proud to read that you experienced at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel was perfect during your vacation in Mazatlan.

A large part of customer service success is creating a seamless experience. Customer needs are anticipated; systems are in place; employees are trained…it is wonderful to read that we provided you such an exceptional service.

Thank you! Your comments really brightened up our day. With sincere appreciation, I wish there are more guests like you.
I am really looking forward to welcoming you back in our hotel anytime soon!

Cordially,

Shawano, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

As relatively new owners we are very excited about our upcoming stay at El Cid this coming week (Nov 10 - Nov 17). We are brining my sister and her husband with us, this being their first experience with Time Share. The one experience we had in the states was wonderful and hoping that this first time experience at El Cid will be the first of many. I have read many of the reviews and find that most have outstanding reviews, so we are greatly incouraged by them. The newer and updated rooms with ocean view sound very inviting. I truly hope that the review that I write after our stay is the best ever. Who knows, maybe my sister and her husband will be "new owners" after this stay.

Sincerly,
P. John and Jean A.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear: P JOHN A

We are very excited to know that we will soon have your visit, we are fortunate in among many options in Mazatlan, you have chosen El Cid Resort.

If there is anything that can help during your stay, do not hesitate to contact me be assured that I will help make your stay more pleasant.
I and my team will be happy to give you a warm welcome for the first time to Hotel.

Best regards from the sunny beaches of Mazatlan.

missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The resort is a little dated but very nice. It actually is four different hotels Moro Beach, Castilla, Grande and Marina. The property is very spread out about 250 acres I think but they have a shuttle to take you between the properties. The Spa is at the Country Club across the street from the Moro and they have 27 holes of golf. The property is going through renovations and we saw one of the remodeled rooms very nice. We opted for the all inclusive and it was worth it. All of the resturants are not included in the all inclusive package but that is fine they have plenty of variety. I can honestly say we did not have a bad meal while we were there. It is a bit confusing because one of the resturants changes its name at night ( the one that has the shows). They have several pool bars and you can order food in any of them. Two of the servers who were the best at the pool bar are Ramon and Ignacio. The lobby bar at Casilla is a good place to relax and have a few drinks in the evening. There were also 2 excellent servers, Leticia, and Ivan X. The Italian resturant is Alcazar ( reservation only) is also very good ask for Josue and he will take very good care of you. Overall the staff is very friendly and helpfulf, my wife forgot her charger for her Ipad and they charged it at the front desk. Housekeeping is also very good. The all inclusive is $69 per person. We were at the pool bar one day and I saw a man eating oysters on the half shell. I asked about the oysters in the resturant and they said they didn't know anything about it was not on the menu. When we went to the pool bar the next day I asked Ignacio about them and he told me the same thing not on the menu but he said he would go out on the beach to a vender and get me some if I wanted wow talk about service. We also took an old city tour it was very interesting. We went to a market, opera house, catherdal and an old remolded house in Old Mazatlan the last stop was a jewelery store that gave great discounts on every thing. They even gave us beer, water and shots of taquila Keep in mind the minium wage in Mexico is $5.00 a day for 8 hours. So even if you tip the servers and housekeepers a dollar or more the will give you excellent service. We will definately be going back to this resort. All of the time we were there we felt safe and that is a big thing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors excellent view of the pool and the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear: MissouriGambler

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel and for taking the time to comment on your experience. Your detailed, positive yet honest review is very much appreciated.

We were very pleased to note that you enjoyed your accommodations, took advantage of our free shuttle and that our staff succeeded in exceeding your service expectations. It was also great to see that you were able to enjoy our 4 hotels Castilla, Moro Granada and Marina.

Also I am glad to read the very detailed and objective comments about the food at our restaurant Alcazar, the excellent service provide from Ivan X, Leticia at lobby bar, meet your expectations.

Should your future travels bring you to Mazatlan, we would welcome another opportunity to provide you with a flawless vacation experience. Until that time we send our warmest regards!

Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We lounged by the wonderful pool and have fresh squeezed grapefruit juice with an extra glass of ice to keep it cool. Our wonderful wait person, Ramon, kept us spoiled.

All the staff was just great! Maids quick, clean and made us feel special.

Room Tip: Corner ocean is fabulous
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear: llluvMazatlan

I am delighted to hear your good comments by great combinations from the wonderful pool, hotel ambiance, and most importantly our staffs whom must be complimented for being very polite and professional thus, making you stays so enjoyable. It is very important that our staff has a friendly attitude and that they are able to provide a wonderful service.
We truly appreciate your kind feedback indicating our attentive development towards your previous review since we believed that our guest's opinions are very important and we can be highly improved by your impression.

We look forward to your next visit and to give you the experience you have come to expect.

Warm regards,

Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have been coming here for 23 years starting as a guest of my parents. My wife and I bought 3 years ago at a VIP level and trust me there has been buyers remorse! BUT, every time we come with or with out our 3 kids we realize how much we truly LOVE Mazatlan and the El Cid Resort. The people here are fantastic and do literally EVERYTHING that they can to make your stay as pleasant as it can be. We were at El Cid in September / October 2011 for 10 days with our children and the property was not at its best. I am sitting in my room as I write this and am happy to say that this place impress' me! The updated pool tiles are smooth and comfortable on the feet, the wifi throughout the entire property is great, the property shows they have invested in its aesthetics and the best part, the servers, staff and sales people DO NOT CHANGE. I see the same people here every time we come and we are always greeted with a handshake or hug. Thank you El Cid Resort Management for showing us what our maintenance fees are going to as I know times are tight not only in the Domestic US but here too and to see you keeping the Resort in top shape is a kudos to you all! Only thing that I wish has nothing to do with El Cid! Too bad so many airlines are not flying here as much to make it easier to get to Mazatlan! The travel advisory's are BOGUS, just don't go and do stupid things and you wont find yourself in jeopardy. We go to the Market, and walk all over and town and never have any issues!!! Come and see for yourself I bet you will feel the same!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear: David L

Thank you for your positive note; I’m really pleasant to know that you really enjoyed our service, friendly staff and our beautiful and safe port of Mazatlan.

Your comments really touch my heart, thank you for trust in us and for let be part of your recent experience at El Cid for helping the readers of Tripadvisor to chosen us on future visits to this beautiful port.

We were delighted to see that the renovations in pool rooms and some other areas of the hotel exceeded expectations. We realize we are in a competitive market and customer needs must remain top priority. We take pride in offering a high quality standard of service to you our guest.

Come back to our "safe Mazatlán". Having you and your family stay with us was a pleasure and a We hope to see you again soon on your next vacation!

We Wish the Best