“Elite Package is Excellent Value but Beach is Disappointing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 50% Off
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Toronto ON Canada
“Elite Package is Excellent Value but Beach is Disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

My brother and I spent a week in February. We chose El Cid based on Trip Adviser reviews and because the upgraded "Elite" package offered free golf.
The first disappointment was our arrival and greeting. We were left standing outside the airport for almost an hour as bus after bus loaded up and departed. Once on board, we were told we would be going to a number of hotels, and that the first, the Riu, would require 45 - 60 minutes of travel. After a five-hour flight from Toronto, this added delay was disappointing, as I had been told the El Cid was just a 15-minute drive from the airport.
At the Riu, we were greeted by a party of staff who off-loaded the luggage and came on board the bus to apply wristbands and welcome packages to the Riu guests. They were then told to head for the bar. their luggage would be waiting for them in the rooms!
We then proceeded to the El Cid, where we were dropped off on the main street in front of a Senior Forg bar. There was no-one to greet us or help witht he luggage, which had to be manhandled up steep stairs to the upper reception level. I was not the only guest who wondered whether I should have chosen the Riu instead!
The Elite package was supposed to include VIP check-in. Standing in line for another 20 minutes with a number of other new arrivals, I asked where the VIP reception was - only to be told it had closed at 9:00. We had been waiitng outside the airport at 6:50 and were shocked that we hadn't made it to the hotel for more than two hours.
After that disappointment, though, the rest of our stay was one pleasant surprise after another. Day staff were very couteous. On several occasions we were greeted outside of restaurants and accompanied to excellent seating. There was an abundance of tasty food choices and portions were unlimited. At the La Conch dining room, where we ate most meals, we had choices of lobster, coconut shrimp, prime rib and New York steak. An after-dinner Spanish coffee turned out to be a 15-Minute show of culinary expertise by our server, Javier, which proved so delightful that we took several photos of the process. We never had to wait to be seated at any dining room and the service was uniformly good.
The golf course is directly across the street and we were able to book preferred tee times for the entire week with just one visit. The course was challenging and fun, under ideal conditions, and the compulsory caddies were a jovial group who proved quite helpful in shot selection. Special thanks for some valuable tips to Gregory and Phillipe. They renamed me "polliot" or "little chicken" as many of my putts came up short!
I enjoyed two 80-minute sports massages at the Spa from a wonderful masseur, Fransisco. These were among the best I'd ever had and enabled me to play extended golf without pain (except for the occassional botched shots!).
There were always seats available around the pool and the beach-side dining area offered a wide selection of fresh fare, including shrimp and fish fillets.
The beach itself was a bit of a disappointment. At high tide, the water comes right up to the sea wall with little room for a beach. At low tide, the small beach area is roped off to protect guests from the horde of hawkers who aggressively try to sell their wares.
Due to an unusual spate of cooler weather, the sea water was too cold to swim without a wet suit. On the day we attempted to snorkel, we were turned away due to an infestation of clear jelly fish.
As a golf vacation, our visit was a huge success. I would not, however, plan to bring my fiance there as she prefers sunning and reading on the beach.
The Elite package cost an extra $500 but was worth every penny. It not only gave us unlimited free golf, but also a guaranteed ocean-view room and free meal upgrades (no surcharges). There is also an exclusive Elite Club room, which offers a self-serve free bar and internet, as well as helpful staff for booking tours, etc.
I found Mazatlan to be quite arid and poor with everyone on the hustle. It is not as lush and inviting as Ixtapa where I had been on two previous occasions. The Pacific is much cooler and darker than the more inviting Carribbean and so not as appelaing for a beach vacation.
Guests of the resort seem to be retired couples and young parents with children. There isn't much nightlife on the property but, at 61 years of age, I didn't really miss that and enjoyed a week of quiet and restful sleep.
Checkout was the opposite of check-in and couldn't have been simpler. Warning - you have to pay extra for the bottled water and coffee in your room. You can easily pick both up at one of the bars and bring them back to the room if you prefer,
I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to golfers looking for good service, good food and unlimited golf. For the beach and nightclub crowd, however, there are better choices.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
Dear freckles59

We thank you for your preference. Your feedback is much appreciated, we welcome both, positive and constructive criticism, we are aware that through them we know what our opportunities areas are. Reviews are great instruments of improving.

I am truly disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations in some aspects of the hotel, we are continuosly monitoring our service and striving to improve and provide the best product possible to our guests in future. I can assure you that this must have been a once off and for that I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience we may cause you.

On a positive note, I am pleased to read that you were able to delight of the tasty food choices that El Cid Resorts offers, as you experienced, we have a wide variety of restaurants, I am delighted as well, to read that you enjoyed playing Golf at the Country Club.

I would like to thank you again for leaving your comments and I hope we can cater to your needs again in the future.

Receive my best regards,

Mark Covarrubias Mckay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

Our recent stay was wonderful.
We enjoyed the rooms, food and especially the people.
I am writing to tell you about some people who made our vacation really special.
Adrian (the ocean/pool waiter) was especially excellent. He went out of his way to make our stay and our kids stay fun and is a phenomenal waiter. The entire beach club staff were all great: Francisco, Aaron, Juan, Thomas, Felix and Martin. They were our beach amigos. Lucinda the cocktail waitress in the lobby bar was also a favorite of our family. She was always happy, smiling and accommodating to the kids while they were playing pool and to the adults while enjoying the bar later. We also had great customer service from the Club Elite ladies.

The only negatives were the the terrible water pressure and temperature changes in the shower.The beds were also very hard with brick pillows, so you woke up with a sore back. It was a real problem for our family. The rooms were redone nicely though with a large balcony and a great oceanview. The dinner shows had a great host and sidekick, but the shows themselves were pretty low quality.

Overall we had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Dear seattlelizv

I want to express my thanks to you for choosing El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel and for providing your valuable feedback on our rooms and facilities, as it is only with feedback that we can continue to improve and exceed the expectations of our guests.

I am to glad to note that our staff exceeded your expectations; you can expect the best in personalized service from each one of the staff members, we realize we are in a competitive market and customer needs remain top priority. We take pride in offering a high quality standard of service to you our guest. I have shared your feedback with staff, they are grateful with you for your kind words.

Thanks again for your suggestions and for let us know where we need to improve or reinforce.

Please allow us to host you again and pamper you as you deserve.

Kind regards,

Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

We stayed at the El Cid in Feb 2011. My mother along with myself and 2 sisters. We had a fantastic time and enjoyed our stay. We were there a week but within the first few days had made friends with some of the staff and were able to communicate easily and ask travel and tour advice. We really enjoyed our beach club waiter "Adrian" he was funny entertaining and very hard working, always striving to ensure our stay was great and we were well taken care of. Great Holiday would highly reccommend.

• Stayed February 2011
Dear Meg306

It gives me great pleasure and contentment to know that you were satisfied with the service given during stay. Thank you very much for your commendations on the friendliness and efficiency of our staff, Especially from Arian in the beach club. We are glad to hear that you found the wait service nice.

Thanks again for your wonderful comment I hope the next time you visit Mazatlan El Cid Castilla is of your choice.

Mark Covarrubias McKay
Blaine, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

This was our third stay at this hotel and we had a fantastic time as always. There were 20 family and friends that came this trip. The staff at the El Campeador restaurant prepared the fish that was caught on our fishing trips on two different days and it was delicious.

The Beach Club staff, especially Adrian with his huge smile, made sure we had everything we need and made our stay even more enjoyable.

Thank you for making our vacation so special one more time.

• Stayed February 2011
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear Emily155043

Thank you for your preference to El Cid Resorts all this time. I am delighted that once more you enjoyed your stay. This is a result of a complete team effort, and your comments are an inspiration to all of us that really help make El Cid the success it is. Your comments helped us to share your thoughts with all the staff.

Thank you again for your loyalty and for your encouraging words. I would appreciate if you contact me personally to help you in planning your next trip to Mazatlan-

Until soon,

Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Excellent staff, very helpful & English well spoken. Gaby at the reception desk is so happy. Around pool area look for Francisco Renterio & Aaron Kelly, Gilberto & Robardo Binitez in La Pergola restaurant. For aquatics I recommend Raul Hernandez, Fernando Munoz & Marco Ocampo who cheerfully led mostly women (the odd man) every day at noon in a wonderful workout. It's nice to offer tips to everyone each day - they love Valentine's Day & to hand out small hearts makes you feel good & they are so appreciative. Take Canadian flag pins, pencils, etc. & you will get a smile daily. We were treated nicely by everyone & the entire staff does a fabulous job to make sure your stay will be always remembered in a positive light.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
Dear guest

Thank you so much for your encouraging words and taking the time to write these positive comments. It is greatly pleasant to us to read that you found an hospitable staff. We establish an environment where great service is recognized and rewarded, your review will be shared with all the staff.

On behalf of all the staff, at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, we look forward to serving you again soon.

Ste Anne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

We arrived February 7th for our daughters wedding. The wedding was beautiful and tastefully decorated.at the El Mora. With the ocean for a background it was breath taking. We received the very best service when we arrived. It was our first time to Mexico and were very pleased. The hotel went out of their way to accomodate us. They upgraded our sons room to be close to the wedding party. We received fruit baskets, and wine in our rooms and swans made of towels for decoration. The service was the best we have had anywhere. At the pool we received the best attention from Ricardo, Adrian, Tomas, Sylvistre, and Antonio to name a few. They were very attentive and aware of our every need. The maids cleaned our rooms promptly. We had a great time. Thank you

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
Dear papaern

I want to express my thanks to you for choosing El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, and for your kind words and encouragement.

I am delighted to read that your daughters had a perfect wedding, we greatly appreciate that you allowed us to be part of such an important event in your lifes. It is our intent to provide you with not only a wonderful and enjoyable stay, but also an unforgettable one.
Thanks so much, for the special recognition to Antonio, Sylvestre, Adrian, Ricardo and Tomas, we are very proud of them.

On behalf of all the staff, we look forward to host you again and provide you with another perfect vacation.

Best regards,

Marck Covarrubias Mckay
Big Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Once again a wonderful trip and stay at El Cid Castilla Beach. We look forward to next year when we can once again see all of the wonderful Friends that we have made at this resort! Hats off again to the wonderful staff, I miss seeing Adrian everyday with his wonderful smile and greeting, he worked very hard at the pool and beach areas to make our stay of 20 people the most pleasant. I highly recommend El Cid Castilla Beach. The food was always good with many choices, and as I said above, the staff is wonderful!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Dear Karinacarlos

Thank you for your time and for your positive comments. At El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, we are very proud of our staff; our experienced team will always try doing extra to make our guests feel welcome and comfortable.

In such a competitive market, we are continually reinventing ourselves to stay afloat.
That is why your feedback is an important learning tool for us.

Be assured that all of us will be anxious waiting for your next visit.

Until soon,

Mark Covarrubias Mckay

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!