“The sunsets were amazing!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 70% Off
Ranked #11 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Saskatoon, Canada
“The sunsets were amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I travelled to El Cid with my 66 year old mom. It was a last minute thing.
In Mazatlan we landed and were on the bus on our way in less than 30 minutes. Last April we flew to Cancun and it took at least 4 hours just to clear the customs line. I will always plan my trips now to places with small airports.
We checked into El Cid quickly. I strongly recommend upgrading to the Elite package. The perks are worth it; the elite lounge/office, free internet, better rooms, vip pool,etc. My mother wanted a room right on the ocean, the staff had us in a better room but being my mom she wanted a room right on the ocean, the staff accommodated us just to change us back to the original room once my mother realized the ocean front room would be too wet for her. Humidity in the air not great for someone with COPD. Thank you for being so understanding!
I had a great time at El Cid, have a great tan and great pictures of the sunset. What one person rates as a 4 star another person will rate it a 3. Read the front of the travel brochures and you will know how they came up with the ratings. If you expect more- then pay increased amounts of money to get it. This place is clean! If you don’t want to be bothered by aggressive venders, stay by the pools. Remember to tip; money makes the world go around!
CONS
• I should learn to speak Spanish (anybody travelling should learn instead of expecting some false sense of entitlement from those who are in their own country who can't speak English)
• Venders on the beach - OMG how do you say NO is Spanish?
• Time Share People - Still No
PROS
• The sunsets
• The friendly people. I would like to point out how great Angel with La Conchita snack bar was, this guy should get a reward, great to my mom. I found it endearing how he would always ask her if she was okay, once he even recommended that she move to more shade because she was starting to burn. How sweet is that?
• The rest of the staff. At one point when I was in the Elite lounge/office I asked the girl if she knew what the Country code for calling Canada was. She did not know but offered to let me use her cell phone to place a call. I didn't but was thrilled that she would make such a grand offer. The restaurants were sometimes overwhelming because of the attention they give you but great service, Hugo always remembered that my mom liked her Cola in a can and went upstairs to get it.
• The beach is clean and the waves are great for jumping.
• Sun and more sun.
• Get to know the guys on the beach. We talked with Adrian, the parasailing/banana boat guy and he was very friendly. My mom ended up going tandem parasailing and it was the thrill of her life time! Thanks guys!

• Stayed September 2010
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2010
Dear: Tracy8813

Thank you very much for your excellent comment. It is very gratifying for us to know how satisfied I have been with the service provided by our staff, we are very proud of Angel and Hugo's food and beverage department

We are working every day to take care of small details and create a pleasant atmosphere and comfort for our guests and to come to El Cid feel they reach their second home.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our Resort in the near future.

Mark Covarrubias Mckay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

All in all, it was a great trip. The only downfall we really had was waiting for the elevator CONSTANTLY. Every time we had to go either up or down to and from our room, it was AT LEAST a 20 minute wait for the elevator- and we were there at a relatively quiet time of year. I can't imagine the wait if it was busy and the hotel was at max capacity!

The service here was great, the food was amazing (although the buffet had the same foods EVERY morning for breakfast- a bit of variety is always nice!), the ala cartes were outstanding and we found something to satisfy even the picky eaters on our trip.

The pools were amazing for our older boys (7 and 10), although they were all too deep for our 2 year old daughter to stand in, so a kid's pool would have been nice.

The rooms were spacious and clean, and any issues that we had were dealt with promptly. Beds were good, and AC was a blessing...

All in all, this was a great trip and we all had an amazing time. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone going to Mazatlan in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2010
Dear: jamgoe

Thank you very much for this nice comment; we are very pleased to know that our guests leave with a good impression of the hotel.

We are working to expand our buffet menus and a la carte restaurants to satisfy our customers with more variety in our cuisine.

An apology for the inconveniences experienced during your stay in our hotel, we are working hard to ensure this does not happen again.

I hope to have your visit again in this your house and in our beautiful port of Mazatlan.

Best Regards.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

We stayed at El Cid Castilla from 09/26/10 until 10/02/10. We got waylaid at the airport by one of the timeshare people and received a call two days after we arrived, seeing whether we wanted to attend the presentation. We didn't; they left us alone. The guys on the street from other hotels were a different story, unfortunately.
When we checked in, we were presented with a welcome cocktail.
The view was beautiful. We had an ocean view and the room was on the end, so when you opened the curtains, you could see the entire vista of islands. The room was neat, clean and housekeeping visited daily. There were some ants in the sink on Thursday, but no bugs otherwise. We ordered room service for breakfast a few times and they were prompt and the food was very good. The staff was friendly and helpful, although sometimes gave contradictory information. For example, we asked about where to catch the green bus to Centro Historico and we were told there was no bus. That could very well be chalked up to the language barrier. My boyfriend and I speak a little Spanish, but not a lot.
The only critique I have (staying on the European Plan) is that we didn't have a refrigerator or microwave in the room, making it difficult to bring back leftovers or purchase beer and keep it cold. I guess it forces you to spend more money at the resort that way.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel, especially to first-time visitors to Mazatlan. I will say that if we go to Mazatlan again, we would likely stay in the Centro Historico, primarily for it's location and appeal to what we're interested in. We like to get out and mingle with the locals and aren't big on the all-inclusive scene/packages. But we're definitely glad we stayed at Castilla while we got familiar with Mazatlan.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
Dear roamingkelly

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor regarding your recent visit with us.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed of the view and cleanliness of the room. I appreciate you the fact that you let us know, what are our areas of opportunity; I am concerned that you have found ants in the room, this because, we have a montly program of fumigation with the purpose of avoiding these situations, absolutely we have to check what is failing. Please accept mi apologize for any inconvenient this may cause you.

Thanks again for your comments; they will be analyzed for our team work to make the necessary improvements.

On behalf of all our staff, thanks for choosing El Cid Castilla for your stay, we hope serve you again in a near future.

All the best.

Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

We stayed here for a week - first experience in an all-inclusive with 2 young children. Two people who I would look for, made our trip amazing were Carlos & Roul, life-guards who run the children's events in the pool area. My kids loved them, insisted on pictures and wanted to stay in touch, they were amazing with the kids.

The Deer Island tour was very Gillian's Island type - it's very primative (i.e. no running water) on the island so it was fun, but be prepared.

AVOID the City Tour - total waste of money and time. We were crammed into a van with bad airconditioning, learned more about the guides personal family than the city. Not worth the money at all.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2010
Dear JennyR77

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

We are delighted to read that you and your 2 young children enjoyed your stay, we strive in satisfy our guest´s expectations, comments such as yours, is the best reward you can give us.
Kind Regards,

On behalf of all the staff, we look forward to welcome you again in a near future.

Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Check-in was relatively fast for us as we got off the bus first and made it to the counter first. We asked about the upgrade because the flyer was in front of us, he replied with “you have an ocean view room”. I guess that means there’s nothing better? Wasn’t quite sure since that’s all he said about it. No friendly, exceptional service there.

After check-in, we were directed to the time share people...yes we did sign up for the 90 minute presentation. We got there on a Saturday and went to the presentation on the Sunday when we were told many shops close early anyways. The lady we had the presentation with was really nice and understanding when we didn’t purchase. We got a bottle of tequila, two tours (one was a city tour that was alright, the other was the Stone Island tour which I loved and would definitely recommend), and breakfast. They ask you on Saturday to put down a hundred peso’s for a deposit, make sure you remember to ask for it back after the presentation!! Many people don’t.

The elevators are the smallest I’ve ever been in and they tend to be full so you can be waiting for a while.

The rooms were good, spacious and clean. My friend said the linens on her bed were damp, I found mine to be fine. Rooms were cleaned every day, with toiletries and towels replenished, except sometimes the face cloths weren’t replaced. I have read another review that said to make sure to lock your stuff up because the maids steal it, well we locked away our passports and wallets and whatnot but there were days I forgot and left out my camera or ipod and they were still in the same spots when I got back. A/C worked well. I didn’t like the water pressure, thought it was too soft and the water goes from cold to scolding hot so watch out! The bathtub itself you could tell was only cleaned once during our stay. The only bugs we saw in the room were tiny ant like things by the sink, but other than that it was fine. The light on the balcony is on a timer, so it comes on and off at a certain point during the evening/night and that’s all you get.

Okay so the all-inclusive part is a bit tricky. You get your wrist band to show that you paid for all-inclusive. The buffet at the Castilla (inside and by the beach front) and the Mexican restaurant at the Moro are part of the all inclusive. There is another restaurant at the Moro closer to the beach that is not. The drinks are part of the all-inclusive at either pool (the Castilla or Moro) but the snacks are not. The snacks at the pool are part of the all-inclusive only on the Castilla side. The snack section in front of the Mexican restaurant is not included. Food was nothing great at the buffet or Mexican restaurant, we didn’t try the others. The buffet had different themes but repeated the Mexican night a couple times.

The main buffet inside the Castilla is kind of hit or miss with service. Sometimes you luck out get wonderful service, most of the time though I’m sitting looking around to see who I can ask just for a cup of coffee. Great waiters though were Francisco, Ceaser, and Luis! The shows at dinner were awesome, loved the performers.

The pools were great, sometimes hard to find an umbrella or canopy. Some days we got up early and put towels down to claim a spot. Beach towels were hard to come by; they hardly had clean ones available or tell you to come back in an hour or so. The pools close at 9pm to be treated for the next day. I did notice that they always had someone out clearing debris from the water throughout the day which is great. They had activities going all the time, I found more so at the Morro pool. Water aerobics, bingo, drink making lessons, etc. Music was pretty good at the pool except I don’t think I can ever listen to Stereolove again (guess it was popular, they repeated it a lot).

I didn’t think the vendors at the beach were that bad; just be polite and say no or shake your head.

Check-out was fast except many people were trying to do the same so it took twenty minutes to get an elevator from the 14th floor to the lobby. They over charged us 40 pesos for water (no, the water in the rooms are not included in the all-inclusive) and it has to be paid at check-out don’t leave the money for it in the room.

We only went out two nights; the clubs were Bora Bora and Sumbawa. We went to Bora Bora for the foam party and I thought it was great! Good mix of people and ages. At Sumbawa though it is more...girls in super tight cloths and heels, so dress up to this place versus Bora Bora which had a more laid back atmosphere. Negotiate your pulmonia (taxi) rates before you get in. It’s 50 pesos each way to get to these clubs. Senor Frogs is literally next door to the hotel if you wanted to go there.

Side note – something I didn’t know was that it was also Mexican holiday season too. So while we were there 80% of the other vacationers there were Mexican. Not so many other English speaking tourist around as I thought there would be, which was fine just not what I expected.

Overall the service was just OK and resort was clean. I still believe they should explain what “all-inclusive” means at this resort at least when you check-in.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2010
Dear travel-4452

I appreciate the time you have taken to share this detailed review.

First of all, thanks for choosing El Cid Castilla for your recent stay. Comments such as yours give us the tools to know how we doing our daily job and where we need to improve; we strive in exceed our guest´s expectations in every aspect of the hotel. I am grateful with you for let us know what are our areas od opportunity. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be.

Thank you also for the positive comments about the room, for your recognition to Franisco, Cesar and Luis. Your constructive criticism has been shared with every head of the deparments involved to analyze the way to improve the points you have mentioned.
If anything we thank you for bringing yourselves into our lives, for sharing your character and your experiences with us! Please know that you have a place here and at any of our hotels, and should you need any point of contact for a return visit or a new adventure please don't hesitate to let me know; I would be honored to personally assist!

Absolutely let me know if you're returning; it sounds like we have some unfinished business!

All the best!!!

Winnipeg, MB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Our overall opinion of the resort is that it was OK. For a four star (some sites have it listed as 4.5 star), I have definitely stayed at better. The location is super with lots shopping and restaurants available within walking distance. You can also walk forever along the beach which we really loved.

At check in the timeshare woman tried to rope us in by showing us her list which had our names on it. She wanted our room number and was very persistent. Thanks again to tripadvisor reviews for the heads up on their practice so I did not give her our room number. We politely told her no and that we were not interested. We were not approached again the rest of the week. On the streets, now that was another story. We would say no thank you and not stop walking. If you stop and give them your ear you will not be able to get away. I don't want to spend my precious vacation time with this. We did not find any of them to be overly agressive.

Our room was was a disappointment, old and outdated - was somewhat aware of this prior to booking thanks to reading tripadvisor reviews but didn't think it would be this bad. My friend was experiencing a severe allergy attack after the first night probably due to the mold in the room. I realize that all resorts have a mold smell but after travelling for over 25 years I know that this was bad. We checked with the front desk staff if it would be possible to move explaining the reason (and they could visibly see what she looked like, swollen red eyes!). Their respone was that they would only be able to move us to another room in the same area which would be the same - this was because this was what we had paid for not for availability reasons. Funny after reading reviews where others were offered upgrades or moved into recently renovated rooms for no reason. Being moved to a similar room would not resolve her allergy problem. We ended up opening the windows for a day and night to air the room out and this seemed to help some. After that she only suffered attacks each morning after awakening. Opening the windows and letting the humidity in caused all of our clothing to end of damp which was not great. This would be one reason we would not return, at least not if staying in these rooms.

The restaurants were all very nice. We enjoyed meals at the buffet, the Mexican a la carte and the Italian - excellent meals and service. We were always able to find something good to eat. The yogurt and fruit at breakfast was amazing. My friend loved the omlette station. We only saw one evening show and it was good.

Had a bit of an issue with the bar service on several occassions. As rum is my choice of drink I would notice after being served a number of drinks the next ones served tasted like crap. As if they thought we wouldn't notice and changed to a low quality rum. We tip with every meal and every drink so this was not appreciated. We were even specific in stating what rum we wanted so that's not acceptable. Service at the beach was almost non existent. One afternoon it improved until a bunch of young kids arrived - after that we were not noticed or served.

The pool areas are fabulous. I liked the restaurant right by the beach/pool. Nice to be able to grab a meal and head back into the sun. The service at this restaurant was excellent each day for drinks as well. They had very nice soup, buns, tacos, fish.....always something yummy. We loved eatting here and enjoying the view of the beach and ocean right from our table.

The beach is lovely and yes the vendors are agressive. If you want to catch a nap, do so in the pool area. Again with saying no thank you they moved onto the next tourist. We did purchase some jewelry from one fellow - some of it has since tarnished but some pieces haven't which is surprising for what we paid. They do have some nice items.

We purchased some jewelry from one of the shops in the resort. The prices were exceptional and we absolutely love them. Beautiful silver rings some with stones. My friends back home couldn't believe what I paid for the one ring and she commented how expensive it looks. You must check out these shops if you want good jewelry.

We hired a taxi to take us around to see the sites - his name was Mannie. He was very informative and showed us everything plus more. We loved the cliff divers and got some awesome photos with them. Was a fun way to see Old Mazatlan and the area.

We booked the Stone Island Tour through the hotel. This was another fun day. The ride there and back was great and the drinks flowed. At Stone Island we did the horseback ride. The horses are well trained - others in our group were hitting the horses trying to get them to gallop. This angered me....these animals are trained to walk - would you want them to take off running when carrying a child? Stupid people. After that we enjoyed a wonderful meal and then had time at the beach. This tour is a steal price wise.

One evening we ate at Panchos - after a bit of a wait we enjoyed a delicious meal and great service. Another night we ate at Gus Gus which is walking distance from the resort. Another fab meal with a live band. Great time and great service here too.

The day we were leaving the rain moved in so we couldn't have been more thankful for our week of sunshine. We had great weather, great shopping and great service.

Did we have fun, yes. Would I return - not likely. I do frequently return to resorts I love and this would not be one of them. I realize that your vacation is what you make of it and we still had a great time. I am not fussy and do not expect stylish new accommodations. Our room here was worse than what I have experienced in Cuba. Altough the room was surface clean the mold in the bathroom along the tiles was horrible.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
Dear Kubbie3400

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

I regret to hear that your experience with us was less than a 100%. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay.

During along the year, we have been updating rooms, our objective is to complete this renovation program in the whole resort, to offer our guests, moderm and comfortable facilities.
I was delighted to read that you and your friend enjoyed of the food, pool and beach, we strive in do our best in every aspect of the hotel; it is nice to read that in some of them we met your expectations, comments such as yours, help us to measure the level of satisfaction of our guest; I am also happy that both of you had fun and enjoyed of the city.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back and providing you with the excellent service and warm hospitality that El Cid Resorts is known for.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Reasons to consider this resort:
-Perfect location. Literally connected to Senior Frogs. Not far from basically anywhere you want to go.
-And anywhere you DO want to go to is pretty darn cheap. The taxi rides are not expensive to go anywhere from here. It's seriously the perfect location. And the taxis are open air too, which is pretty sweet!
-They easily have the best beach around. I would run the beach every morning and went both directions. There is not a better beach around.
-The resort is clean. Our roomed was very well cleaned every day. Our cleaning lady would be there at almost 9:30 every morning (which is probably early for some, but was perfect for us). The rest of the resort was really well cleaned all of the time too. There was almost always someone cleaning a part of the pool.
-The cleaning never interfered though because the pool is huge! The pool in between the two El Cid hotels is really big with a waterfall and water slide. You can swim under a bridge and get all of the way to the other side of the hotel too.
-The swim up bars are actually nice. They make you drinks where you can actually taste more alcohol than the mixer (not sure if this is noteworthy, but I rarely get strong drinks at resorts while going all-inclusive).
-The rooms are really quite nice. We had a pool/beach view. We could see the sun rise over the palm trees and islands every morning. The TV gets horrible channels, but not like we're there to watch tv anyways. The bathroom was nice and tub is huge w/ jets.
-The buffet food was decent, and nothing more. It was edible and we didn't get sick, so that's a plus compared to others. The real gem is in making reservations at the all-inclusive restaurants.
-The Argentinean restaurant that is included with the all-inclusive plan is awesome. The setting is almost like a Greek courtyard and they serve the best Filet Mignon. I highly recommend it.
-The activities staff is great. They play good music and lead fun activities the entire day, every day. Very well organized and friendly.
-If you want to go out and experience other restaurants in the town, there are tons of good options really close. I would highly suggest the following restaurants (I don't care who you are, you will not be disappointed with these: Fat Fish (great open air grill and they make the best ribs.), Panama (great Mexican food), Chili's Pepper (amazing fresh seafood for great prices), Pancho's (good restaurant, breakfast is best).
-Great and friendly staff. The entire staff was very helpful and friendly. The bartenders and servers were very friendly and professional. Overall just a great experience.

Reasons to not consider this resort:
-The area of Mazatlan in general is a little dangerous right now. When we were there there were multiple murders, including one right in front of a restaurant we were eating at. 2 cops were murdered and possibly someone who was riding in the back. It was really scary. The drug cartel is just all over around there and often pass through there, so it can be a sketchy area at times. This is not obviously something that the resort can prevent, so this should not be counted as a negative towards the resort at all, just the area in general.
-There are a ton of vendors on the beach. It's hard to just enjoy yourself down there because someone is aways is trying to sell you something.
-The weather wasn't fantastic. It was warm every day, but it was also really windy everyday. The sun was out here and there. Overall just not great weather. Again, nothing against the resort itself (maybe me not being able to find negative things about the resort itself is a good thing.
-The beer in the swim up bars are served in plastic cups and the beer is a bit warm. Not the coldest drink by any means.
-The breakfast buffet was not good. I just did omelets every morning so I could have something fresh.
-The spa wasn't great. We both got massages, manicures, and pedicures (my girlfriend talked me into it, and this was my first experience). It was a horrible experience at that. We wasted a lot of money to have someone poke sticks around our nails and put our feet in hot water. The massage wasn't horrible, but wasn't something memorable either.

Things to do:
-Stone Island Tour. It's awesome. The island is gorgeous, the beach is gorgeous. You can do horseback rides on the beach. We went kayaking out to an island in the distance and walked around it, it was free drinks the entire time, we had fresh fish for lunch, and the way you get there is a harbor cruise. You see caves, the lighthouse, seals, and get drinks the entire time. The whole thing was probably about 5 hours and it only cost 30 bucks a person. You also get to see the locals on stone island which is pretty much worth the money within itself to see their village.
-Pacifico Brewery Tour. It's free, you get to drink free fresh beer, and they bring you way up to see out over the entire city of Mazatlan. Again, this is free! It's a really old brewery and is owned by the company that brews Corona. I think Pacifico is better actually.
-The open air market. It's so damn unique and just so much different than our markets, that you simply must see it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Dear tchames22

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. Our objective is t provide the highest standard of Customer care, and always aim for excellence in service.

We are delighted to note that you appreciated the cleanliness of the room, grounds that you enjoyed of the beach, pools, Argentinian restaurant, and found the staff hospitalable.

Your suggestions are much appreciated and were reviewed to the departments involved to be analyzed. We understand your concern regarding this situation, which unfortunately, can happen anywhere in the world. It is important to mention that our goberment is working very diligently to prevent this type of incidents from occurring in the future.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Mark Covarrubias Mckay

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!