“We would go back; we had a great time!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 70% Off
Ranked #11 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Detroit Lakes
“We would go back; we had a great time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We had 2 pool view rooms across the hall from each other (both had double beds although we had requested one with a king) after 2 nights we switched to another room with a king bed. The doubles are small and hard for 2 adults to sleep in together. The pool view rooms are nice and have a partial ocean view, they were basic but always cleaned well. We loved the pools and the fact that they are open until 9:00 p.m. However, all pool bars close down at 6:00 p.m. so the only place to get a drink is from the lobby bar. It would be nice it they stayed open later. The beach is narrow but nice and the ocean is fun to swim in. We liked the location of the El Cid. We did feel that the food left something to be desired. We could always find something to eat but we never had a great meal there, just edible. The drinks however were great!! We had a fun family vacation and would go back if we got a good deal! They could improve by offering free wi-fi at least in the lobby area, mini bar in the room would be nice and a 24 hour food/beverage would also be nice, and improve the food quality.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms have a great location and most have a partial ocean view
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Although we did have a lovely time in Mexico, we were very disappointed in El Cid Hotel. First of all closing the beach for a high tide that never happened & not allowing guests to sit on beach chairs when the tide has receded makes no sense. We are from California & have spent countless vacations on the beach, & have NEVER seen or experienced anything remotely like this. We didn't come to a beach resort to sit by an overcrowded noisy pool, we have a pool at home. We came to enjoy the beach, & weren't allowed on the chairs for fear that the tide would drag the chairs into the water. There is no way the tide was remotely high enough for this to happen. Also, the reservation system for dinner is very disappointing. Every time we called we could only get reservations for 6:30 or 9:30, nothing in between. On one night we showed up 15 minutes late we were harshly met outside the door & told we were too late. We were eventually seated, but made to feel as though we committed a major crime by arriving 15 minutes late. The restaurants were all two thirds empty, yet being 15 minutes late was a huge problem in seating us.
The towel system is also a pain for guests, daily you have to give a piece of paper to get a towel. Wouldn't it make more sense to simply give your room number & not require your guests to turn in a towel card???

In my 25 years of traveling the primary concern of most hotels is to make the guest experience a priority, unfortunately that was not the case with El Cid.

I won't go into the pitch they gave us to attend one of their presentations!! Or having to purchase wifi for 3 devises.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Archiewm

First of all I am truly sorry to hear that your stay was affected by the groundswell along the the Pacific Ocean, and for that reason they've raised a red warning flag on the beach. For the safety of our customers do not allow the entrance to the sea. We certainly take every effort to ensure that our guests are having a relaxing stay and are able to enjoy our beautiful facilities while in our resort. I regret that we were not successful in achieving this for you.

We are very fortunate that our resort is very popular in demand, especially now that the weather in Mazatlan is better. I sincerely apologize that our service levels were not consistent throughout your week stay with us. Please know that I shared your feedback with the team and we will take appropriate actions to ensure that we are always delivering the high level of service that is expected at El Cid Castilla.

Please feel free to contact us personally if we may assist you any further. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

Kind regards,

General Manager.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had wonderful time there, the pool activities during the day were fun - on top of that enthusiastic made for enjoyable days. The room was cleaned everyday by a wonderful lady, very comfortable bad. A huge shout out for Leticia who works in the front lobby bar... she went above and beyond what anyone would expect. The a la carte meals in the various restaurants at the resort were all good - very good. The buffet were good but not a lot of variety - same foods consistent through the week.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Drew K,

A wonderful review you have given us about your recent stay with us at el Cid Castilla.

I feel so glad to hear that everything here met and went beyond your expectations. I feel so proud of all the staff that made of your trip something special, like Leticia at lobby bar Castilla, be assured she will get a mention for her great effort.

Thank you for letting us know that everything was good during your stay, cleanness, facilities, services, staff attitude, food and beverage.

We hope to have the pleasure to be part of your next vacaction.

Kind Regards,

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel is designed for mexican families with lots of kids who spend all their time at the pool and presumably are in the all inclusive meal plan.No place to sit. Clean towels ran out. Blasting music and announcements.
Noise level during the day is high.we luckily had reservered ocean front which was quiet, in part because the beach was closed for all but 2 days 2nd to rip tides.
the rooms were clean except for the floors which constantly ended up in our beds.
Would neve stay there again.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear 70peter99,

Thank you for the review you are giving us which is very important for us in matter of improve our services.

I regret the kids and the loud music disturbing your stay. Be assured I will reinforced the towels area and the restaurants' meals to prevent this happen to future travelers.

We hope you can give us a second chance, be assured we will be more than happy to assist you.

Grande Prairie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel rooms was okay- lots of hot water, our room didn't get cleaned 3 out of 11 days. Grounds were clean. It took a few days to navigate where everything was located...even got kicked out of a restaurant because our wrist band was the wrong color (we were all inclusive)
Beach area is narrow and while the vendors don't harass you there is a constant non stop stream of them. We counted being asked 45 times in 1 hour. We tried reading, sleeping etc. it didn't matter.
The waves were awesome for playing in-
Food was mostly cold and very repetitive...supper was served for breakfast. Utilize the fresh cooked stations for every meal.
The shows at supper are very high school drama club-
Staff were friendly and tipping goes along way to enjoying your stay.
The beach and pool loungers were plentiful didn't see a lot of chair saving- we always found something.
Its easy to get into downtown and restaurants outside the resort are plentiful.
The pool was bustling with lots of activity. Activity crew mostly spoke Spanish except for bingo.
Cash was easy to exchange at a good rate. They did run out a few days in the afternoon.
We did use the coffee pot most days and were not charged for it.
WIFI is available for free just 2 minutes down the street at Social Café or Rico's just buy a coffee
Overall we had a great time on our holiday

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor in front of the pool-was noisy from 11-5 but other than that it was very...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear ashley c,

It is so good to know that overall you had a great time during your stay with us and that all our staff and services were helpful and kind and met all your expectations.

I will take care the comments you gave us for the variety of food at the buffet and will mention it with the Chef to improve our meals.

Thank you very much for have given us this review which is very important for us to keep improving for our guests.

I hope you give us the pleasure for continue being part of your vacations the next time you decide to return to Mazatlan.

Kind Regards,

Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel saw its day many, many years ago. The rooms were smelly, beds were horrible and I just could not wake up soon enough to pack up out of there. Do yourselves a big favor. Avoid it at all cost. Kids yelling at all hours of the night in the hallways. I am not talking about teen age kids . I am talking about small children screaming all the way past midnight. Rooms were dirty.
I was traveling from Zihuatanejo all the way thru the country heading to Las Vegas by car.
My son and I stayed in many hotels thru our travels and all of our accomodations were nice except for this horrible place. Won't be back to Mazatlan again. I suppose my stay would have been better had we not stayed at El Cid. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Room Tip: If you want to go to a place that smells like Spring Break sweat then by all means this is a place y...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear canitalk,

First of all I will like to thank you for give us the pleasure to be part of your vacations in Mazatlan and for the review you are giving us.

I am surprised for what I am reading about your stay with us as we always take care of each detail our customers may have.

I regret that your stay was disturbed for the kids screaming be assured I will reinforce that area with more security by the hallways. And I have to say we are remodeling our resort when ocupation allows us.

I hope you can give us a second chance of change your mind and show you what el Cid mean.

Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2015

We stayed at El Cid Castilla Beach from 3/27-4/3, which was right before Easter and a really busy time for the hotel and area. My family of 4 (husband, 14 yr old daughter and 12 year old son) were with a group of 17 in total, 5 families, 10 adults and 7 kids ranging from 9-17.

Hotel property overall - property was nice, well kept. Our flight arrived at 8:30 and we were at the hotel by around 9:45. We expected not to get rooms that early in the day, but after waiting about 20 minutes in line, we were pleasantly surprised that our whole group was able to get into our rooms right away and we were all on the same floor (15th floor). There were two good sized pools with swim up bars at both, a water slide and cliff jumping in one of the pools that the kids liked. The beach in front of the hotel was very small and crowded with vendors selling their wares. However, the overall beach was great for walking if you go left - mostly nice a flat. The ocean/waves were red all week and the hotel would not give out boogie boards, so we finally bought a few for our group ($20/each - not too bad) and that worked out great for the kids. We gave them away on our last day. One thing I will say up front, this property is located on a very busy street with lots of traffic, sirens, car door alarms etc. all night long - I felt like I was in Chicago or NY. I found I really didn't care for that and would prefer to be located in a quieter, more peaceful area. This will definitely factor into future resort decisions!

Room - Since we were on the 15th floor of the main tower, we had an awesome front on view of the ocean, which we loved! The room itself was clean, decent size - though it was showing some wear and tear given age of the facility (not too bad though). The bathroom sink was on the outside of the toilet/shower, which was nice. However, the toilet/shower area (with a door) was very small and cramped. Also no place to hang clothes (hooks in the wall) so you would have to set them on the floor or toilet - yuck. The could also use some hooks or towel bars on the wall by the sink to hang toiletry bags. Finally, the only hand towel bar by the sink is located in front of the sink and slightly to the left of the sink itself, I kept bumping my leg against it while putting on make-up and ended up with a lovely big huge bruise. Not a great location. The beds were actually quite comfortable - better than most I have used in Mexico. Flat screen TV and good sized balcony. Good closet and storage space. Elevators were extremely small (could only fit 6-8 people), but reasonably fast.

Food - With a group of 17, I thought we would have huge issues getting dinner reservations at the ala carte restaurants, which I was surprised when we didn't given the hotel was busy. We were even able to get one the day we arrived at the hotel (booked around 11:00). The restaurants were only about half full every single time we went. We ate at the Mexican restaurant (I liked it - but most of our group didn't care for it) - the guacamole, tortilla soup and shrimp tacos were great. We also ate at the Argentinean restaurant, again most of our group didn't care for it, but the reviews were more mixed here. The grilled shrimp was good. Our favorite ala carte was the Italian, which we ate at three times during the week! I don't think you can go wrong with any of their menu items and the desserts were really good as well! We ate at the buffets for breakfast and lunch most days. Breakfast was good with the usual selection of made to order omelets etc. Lunch was ok, but seemed repetitive. The Guacamole at the buffets was very runny and not so great, but the salsa was excellent. One of our group did get sick (food poisoning) from a hamburger one day - so be carefully and try to get them fresh off the grill. Also, my husband and son came home with salmonella poisoning - not sure what they ate the last day or so. I'm glad my son didn't become sick until he got home as he ended up hospitalized for a few days due to being so ill. We did go off the property our last day their for lunch - and my husband got sick that night. We truly are not sure if they got it at that restaurant (where several of us ate cheese quesadillas) or at the resort. One other person in our group likely had salmonella poisoning as well, but not quite as bad. Overall, the food was probably just ok - but probably not all the different than many other resorts.

Exercise Room - I used the exercise room a few days. It was about a 10 minute hike from our hotel to another of the El Cid properties, but I was ok with that, as more excerise in my opinion. Good equipment in the room, but I wish they kept the temps cooler - it was hot in there!

Chair Saving - OK - I admit we did this, especially with such a big group and busy time at the resort. My husband or I would get out there around 5:30am each day to get our chairs and were able to get a good location without any trouble. I would usually get there by 6-6:30 and sit in one of our chairs to read and the whole group was coming and going by 9:30-10:00 each day. The chair saving wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be though and some days there were still chairs open at 8:00.

Lobby Bar - the only place to hang out at night. We liked the area though, fair amount of tables and chairs. We would meet for pre-dinner drinks, hang out, play cards etc. They had bands a few of the nights - one band was decent, the other not so much.

Service - The staff are well trained and very service oriented. We had great service from wait staff, bartenders, cleaning staff etc. all week. The staff are definitely a selling point for this property.

Summary - I think the El Cid Castilla resort was nice overall, but as I mentioned above, I found I was not wild about the property location or Mazatlan in general (seemed like there were not a lot of great excursion opportunities, but maybe we didn't look hard enough either). Also, a lot of old hotels in the area were shut down and one property next door to our hotel was rumored to be a drug lord hangout (who knows!). If they could clean some of them up or tear them down (along with some house/condos on the beach), the area might start attracting more tourists. I would stay at an El Cid property again (and have once before in Riveria Maya), but don't think I would go back to Mazatlan.

Room Tip: We liked staying in the tower and high up for the awesome view.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear 2247CH,

We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at El Cid Castilla Hotel and for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.
We appreciate your detailed review and favorable points you found in our hotel as we give you a earlier check in, the quality of service that our staff offered during your stay, the room clean and well maintained, just to mention a few.

As we telling you when we got in touch with you by email in regards the inconvenience you had during your stay, we deeply regret and have already addressed each of the issues.
I was surprised to read your experience had; I would like to inform you that we handle our food carefully; we have certification know as "Crystal" which support us. We also have laboratory evidence that we do month after month. We take evidence from food and our staff and refuse any contamination or infection in our food, Beverage or employees. Be assured that all our procedures are monitoring. I personally check the files for January or February and we do not have any issues.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we sincerely hope to get a chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

General Manager.

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!