“Hotel Good overall with some minor complaints” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Minneapolis, MN
“Hotel Good overall with some minor complaints”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed at El Cid Castilla Beach from 3/27-4/3, which was right before Easter and a really busy time for the hotel and area. My family of 4 (husband, 14 yr old daughter and 12 year old son) were with a group of 17 in total, 5 families, 10 adults and 7 kids ranging from 9-17.

Hotel property overall - property was nice, well kept. Our flight arrived at 8:30 and we were at the hotel by around 9:45. We expected not to get rooms that early in the day, but after waiting about 20 minutes in line, we were pleasantly surprised that our whole group was able to get into our rooms right away and we were all on the same floor (15th floor). There were two good sized pools with swim up bars at both, a water slide and cliff jumping in one of the pools that the kids liked. The beach in front of the hotel was very small and crowded with vendors selling their wares. However, the overall beach was great for walking if you go left - mostly nice a flat. The ocean/waves were red all week and the hotel would not give out boogie boards, so we finally bought a few for our group ($20/each - not too bad) and that worked out great for the kids. We gave them away on our last day. One thing I will say up front, this property is located on a very busy street with lots of traffic, sirens, car door alarms etc. all night long - I felt like I was in Chicago or NY. I found I really didn't care for that and would prefer to be located in a quieter, more peaceful area. This will definitely factor into future resort decisions!

Room - Since we were on the 15th floor of the main tower, we had an awesome front on view of the ocean, which we loved! The room itself was clean, decent size - though it was showing some wear and tear given age of the facility (not too bad though). The bathroom sink was on the outside of the toilet/shower, which was nice. However, the toilet/shower area (with a door) was very small and cramped. Also no place to hang clothes (hooks in the wall) so you would have to set them on the floor or toilet - yuck. The could also use some hooks or towel bars on the wall by the sink to hang toiletry bags. Finally, the only hand towel bar by the sink is located in front of the sink and slightly to the left of the sink itself, I kept bumping my leg against it while putting on make-up and ended up with a lovely big huge bruise. Not a great location. The beds were actually quite comfortable - better than most I have used in Mexico. Flat screen TV and good sized balcony. Good closet and storage space. Elevators were extremely small (could only fit 6-8 people), but reasonably fast.

Food - With a group of 17, I thought we would have huge issues getting dinner reservations at the ala carte restaurants, which I was surprised when we didn't given the hotel was busy. We were even able to get one the day we arrived at the hotel (booked around 11:00). The restaurants were only about half full every single time we went. We ate at the Mexican restaurant (I liked it - but most of our group didn't care for it) - the guacamole, tortilla soup and shrimp tacos were great. We also ate at the Argentinean restaurant, again most of our group didn't care for it, but the reviews were more mixed here. The grilled shrimp was good. Our favorite ala carte was the Italian, which we ate at three times during the week! I don't think you can go wrong with any of their menu items and the desserts were really good as well! We ate at the buffets for breakfast and lunch most days. Breakfast was good with the usual selection of made to order omelets etc. Lunch was ok, but seemed repetitive. The Guacamole at the buffets was very runny and not so great, but the salsa was excellent. One of our group did get sick (food poisoning) from a hamburger one day - so be carefully and try to get them fresh off the grill. Also, my husband and son came home with salmonella poisoning - not sure what they ate the last day or so. I'm glad my son didn't become sick until he got home as he ended up hospitalized for a few days due to being so ill. We did go off the property our last day their for lunch - and my husband got sick that night. We truly are not sure if they got it at that restaurant (where several of us ate cheese quesadillas) or at the resort. One other person in our group likely had salmonella poisoning as well, but not quite as bad. Overall, the food was probably just ok - but probably not all the different than many other resorts.

Exercise Room - I used the exercise room a few days. It was about a 10 minute hike from our hotel to another of the El Cid properties, but I was ok with that, as more excerise in my opinion. Good equipment in the room, but I wish they kept the temps cooler - it was hot in there!

Chair Saving - OK - I admit we did this, especially with such a big group and busy time at the resort. My husband or I would get out there around 5:30am each day to get our chairs and were able to get a good location without any trouble. I would usually get there by 6-6:30 and sit in one of our chairs to read and the whole group was coming and going by 9:30-10:00 each day. The chair saving wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be though and some days there were still chairs open at 8:00.

Lobby Bar - the only place to hang out at night. We liked the area though, fair amount of tables and chairs. We would meet for pre-dinner drinks, hang out, play cards etc. They had bands a few of the nights - one band was decent, the other not so much.

Service - The staff are well trained and very service oriented. We had great service from wait staff, bartenders, cleaning staff etc. all week. The staff are definitely a selling point for this property.

Summary - I think the El Cid Castilla resort was nice overall, but as I mentioned above, I found I was not wild about the property location or Mazatlan in general (seemed like there were not a lot of great excursion opportunities, but maybe we didn't look hard enough either). Also, a lot of old hotels in the area were shut down and one property next door to our hotel was rumored to be a drug lord hangout (who knows!). If they could clean some of them up or tear them down (along with some house/condos on the beach), the area might start attracting more tourists. I would stay at an El Cid property again (and have once before in Riveria Maya), but don't think I would go back to Mazatlan.

Room Tip: We liked staying in the tower and high up for the awesome view.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear 2247CH,

We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at El Cid Castilla Hotel and for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.
We appreciate your detailed review and favorable points you found in our hotel as we give you a earlier check in, the quality of service that our staff offered during your stay, the room clean and well maintained, just to mention a few.

As we telling you when we got in touch with you by email in regards the inconvenience you had during your stay, we deeply regret and have already addressed each of the issues.
I was surprised to read your experience had; I would like to inform you that we handle our food carefully; we have certification know as "Crystal" which support us. We also have laboratory evidence that we do month after month. We take evidence from food and our staff and refuse any contamination or infection in our food, Beverage or employees. Be assured that all our procedures are monitoring. I personally check the files for January or February and we do not have any issues.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we sincerely hope to get a chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Langley, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was my first trip to Mazatlan and it was a wonderful experience. I travel solo since my husbands passing. The hotel was excellent. Staff was always helpful and accommodating. The room was quiet and very clean, which is extremely important to me. The bed was typical of hotels but not as bad as some. The only negative thing I can say about this hotel is that the room did not have a mini-fridge. Can't understand this neglect. The towels were lovely, the blow dryer worked great and there was always hot water for my shower. AC was good and not noisy. View from the room (0409) was perfect for watching the sunsets, with camera in hand. Morning walks on the beach were heavenly. The beach sellers were not intrusive. A shake of the head and that was it. I was not bothered by Timeshare people either. I usually stayed by the pool and unfortunately had to play the towel game each morning. Some even put their towels on the chairs the night before. Crazy. The food at the Buffet was good with a fairly good variety. There was always something to please everyone. Their breakfast cinnamon rolls were the best ever. Coffee was good. There is a coffee maker in the room but I did not use it. Not that I mind paying ($1.50) but I don't need a full pot. The Mexican ala carte was delicious. If I return to Mazatlan I would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: I was first in Room 5115 ( bigger room with a huge balcony) but it was above the lounge and a bit no...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Dear 2247CH,

Thank you so much for your trust, we are happy to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our overall service and facilities to your liking.

We are grateful for your positive feedback especially for your interest to come back so we will anticipate welcoming you again very soon.

Please feel free to contact me should you need my personal assistance with your next booking.

Yours sincerely,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I hate to do this, but my disappointment is overwhelming. My boyfriend and I have just arrived tonight, April 10 and it's nothing like the photos and reviews. Keeping it short since we want to make the best of this trip.
Got dropped off by the shuttle in front of a bikini store and had to make our way up a ramp with our luggage, not a nice way to be greeted by this 4 star hotel... Was greated kindly at the door, got checked in easily. Room seemed okay at first but not very clean- the floors anyways. And no fridge in the room. Shower has little pressure and is very alwarkly placed next to the toilet and makes it hard to close the door... So then we decided to have some dinner at the buffet downstairs.. The food had tasted old and dry. It was only 7 by this time and it had opened at 6:30.... Then found out we had to pay $25 for wifi for only 1 device for the week... well there's my rant.
We are going to try the make the best of this whole week in this 2 star hotel..

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Goldenkey89,

Thank you so much for your recent contribution at El Cid Castilla, I really sorry for the inconvenience you have during your stay with us. As I mentioned on the private massage I sent to you. I´m really disappointing and want to meeting you as you still here to I’m more than sure that we will help with this situation.
Hopefully you contact us soon at your convenience.

Kind Regards,

Genral Manager.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I visited Mazatlan for the first time last week with my family. We stayed at the El Cid Castilla beach and really enjoyed our time there! The variety of amenities and activities not to mention the fantastic food really made our vacation perfect. We arrived on Saturday before Easter and apparently that time is the local equivalent of 'Carnival' - there were LOADS of people on the beach and three or four brass bands trying to play over one another which made for an interesting cacophony of sound that first night. After that, however, things quieted down and this place really became relaxing. Being able to hear the surf from our room at night was so peaceful.
We loved being able to visit the other resorts when we felt like a change of scenery. The Marina was more laid-back and the beach there was perfect for swimming and the free shuttle made it easy to go between the properties.
About the only downside we had was a lack of more detailed maps of the resort(s). It took us almost one full day to get the hang of things just at our one resort and I felt we missed out on some of the activities and amenities because we simply couldn't find them. It took me almost two hours to locate one of the restaurants, but I eventually prevailed. Sadly we didin't even find one entire pool until we were literally heading home. It was the VIP/Adults only pool and it looked so much more laid back for folks travelling without young kids. Would have been nice to realize it was there before we were heading for the shuttle back to the airport. At least we know where it is for next time.
The only other negative was the WiFi. It wasn't great and it was not included even in the fully all inclusive 'Elite' package. I was OK with that, however, as it gave me and my family a chance to fully break from 'every day life' and enjoy our vacation but if you really MUST have WiFi, be prepared to have it be spotty.
For us, I think the next time we go to Mazatlan we'd stay at the Marina simply because we are older and don't have kids anymore. The atmosphere was a bit more relaxed which suited us more, but for families I can think of no better place than Castilla Beach.

Room Tip: Corner (king bed) suites are a bit more spacious. The rooms in the tower have great views but the e...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Dodd W,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments, without constructive feedback from our guests such as yourself, it is not possible for our company to measure the quality of the services provided, and thanks to it we are able to continue with our standards of service and also have an opportunity to reinforce those matters that require it.

We are delighted to receive your review and read such positive comments regarding your experience in our hotel. We are glad to know that the facilities met your expectations, and mostly we are extremely proud to read your highlights on the service provided.

I regret your experience with the loud music, unfortunately on holly week is many young people celebrating and yes can be little louder with people singing and dancing on the beach.
We look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back once again not matter if you choose El cid Marina or El Cid Castilla with gladly assit you.

My best,

General Manager.
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Since 1986 our choice of vacation has been to Mazatlan, Mexico and our choice of hotels has always been El Cid Castilla. We love El Cid because of its proximity to many locations (la Zona Dorada, el malecon, el centro, the mercado, etc), the hotel accommodations, the great buffets, and the excellent service received from the hotel staff. Gizel and Joshue who worked at the front desk were especially helpful. Gizel made us feel like family. She always greeted us by name and was able to answer all of our questions about sightseeing, special tours, shopping & restaurants.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the rooms right on the beach front. We just had to step out of our room to enjoy either...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear GuyRosemaryP,

First and for most I would like to the you for coming back to us for so long , your loyalty is very much admired . I am so happy to hear that year after year we never cease to disappoint your expectations we always work hard to provide memorable vacations and its always great to get acknowledged for our hard efforts, Rest assure that the staff mentioned will be congratulated for their hard work I am sure they will be please to hear such kind remarks, we hope to see you again soon here at your home away from home .

Kind regrards,
Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

From the moment arriving at The El Cid Beach Castillia we were welcomed. The front supervisor Rahul was most kind. He acknowledged us every time he saw us and made a point to speak with us and make sure everything was great on a daily basis!! The hotel is kept extremely clean and everyone is most helpful. We WILL be returning here again and again.

Room Tip: Ocean View is beautiful
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear Alison M,

Thank you so much for this fantastic review about your stay. I feel so good to know that all the staff around were extremely kind and helpful.

We work hard every day to give you the best service and make you spend the best vacations ever.

We will be waiting you come back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We got in very early and were pleasantly surprised to find out we could get into our two rooms right away. Although the "all-inclusive" package did not start until noon. Our rooms were clean and comfortable and our Housekeeping staff "Violette" was the absolute BEST!

Food was fine and standard "all-inclusive" fare. Specialty restaurants were okay - we enjoyed the Italian one the best. We did not have any trouble making reservations.

We did not have the package that included premium liquors and were disappointed in the alcohol. Do yourself a favor and order drinks that are not pre-made - they really are terrible.

If you want pool/beach chairs you will need to get up early. Often 6:00 am would be too late. This is just part of the deal and has been the same at every Mexican all-inclusive I have ever been too.

We had a great vacation. El Cid was fine, but It did not make me a loyal customer. I would be happy to try a new place next time.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Donegal1968 ,

Thank you for your recent review on our resort and for letting us knows how your stay turned out. I would like to apologies for the discomforts you encountered in regards to the room not being ready however the rooms are to be turned in at 3:00 o´clock but we always try and have all the rooms ready as soon as possible never the less your rest assure your comment will be taken into consideration . I am glad to hear that you were fond of out Italian Restaurant we work hard to provide the best service and it is always great to get recognition for our hard efforts. In regards to the pool chair I would like to mention that we are working on brainstorming a solution to that we do not have any future Inconveniences with h the pool chairs we have already done so by buying more pool chairs. I thank you for the constructive feedback and for bring good points to our attention.

Kind Regards,
Salavtore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!