“Hotel was good, awesome vacation!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 50% Off
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Calgary, Canada
“Hotel was good, awesome vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

The hotel was surprisingly good. If you want an authentic Mexican experience, go to Mazatlan. The people are good the food was good, the drug cartels were hospitable (kidding) the whole trip was incredible!
Would definitely go back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear, MikeParsons77

We want to thank you for your trust and let us part of your recent trip to Mazatlan; we feel honored such in among options you choosing El Cid Castilla.

I’m glad to read that you experienced was on your expectations and you will back soon to Mazatlan! We sincerely hope to be the hotel of your choice.

My best,
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Granville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Our stay at El CID was incredible. The staff was great. We were especially impressed with service by Rosalie our room attendant, La Concha waiters at breakfast and lunch Jesus and his partner Armando along with captain Guilermo, dinner waiters Josue Romero and Jonathan Lerma and Sergio Roho at the Club Grill. The waiters have a good understanding of English and provide excellent service. Also hats off to security guard Julio Cesar Hernandez Contreras for helping through the Spanish to get minutes on our phone. We love El CID Mazatlan and will be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear, Carol J

Thank you so much for your more than positive review! We strive to make every guests stay as comfortable as possible and I'm excited that we were able to exceed your expectations in this area.

I really want to thank you for your special thanks to Guillermo, Armando, Josue Romero, Jonathan Lerma, Sergio, Roho, Julio Cesar Hernandez and Jesus. We are proud of the positive team service, and certainly proud in the overall El Cid experience. Our staff strives to be the best and to make you feel right at home with genuine hospitality.

As we wait for your quick return, we hope you contact us should you feel we can make it a better stay for you…and please, return as soon as you can!

Drayton Valley, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The staff here were absolutely incredible! Everyone was always happy to see us, and pretty much catered to our every need. By about the third day that we were there, one of the ladies greeting us at the door at La Pergola had pretty much memorized where we liked to sit, what our names were and if we went down in pairs instead of our regular group of 6, she knew automatically how many there were of us and was always quick to say "You're friends are right over here!" and would guide us there! I wish I had grabbed her name, because she was just great. The food was phenomenal, at the buffet and at all the restaurants across the resort. The food and drink bars located at the pools were also great, but we often ended up just getting out of the pool to get our drinks because nobody would come to us at the swim-up parts. Speaking of the pools, the girls that I was with and myself, give a huge shoutout to Hans and Frank who were always kind and inclusive and made sure that we always had something to do. They made the trip really fun, and were very personable. We looked forward to seeing them everyday and the activities that they carried out were always fun and got everyone involved. They even found us at the restaurant and would talk to us and ask us how our day was and such. A+ to them. Our room was amazing, facing the ocean! And them cleaning staff always made sure we had enough towels and facecloths, everyday we would come back up and everything was cleaned up nicely. Overall, our trip was one of the best that I have been on and I look forward to coming back soon!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Courtney,

First of all I will like to say thanks, for choosing us like the best choice for your destination on your group trip to Mazatlan; I just can't explain you how wonderful is to hear that we met all your expectations and that you will come back in not a far future.

I'm very happy to know that our waiters, maid staff and activities staff were always very kind and helpful in all your needs. And that they made that your vacation were more enjoyable and fun.
I will let them know your good comments about them; I know they'll be more than happy to hear about you.

I hope you don't doubt in come back with your group in your next trip and let us be part of your vacations.

Kind Regards,

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My wife and I booked the last week of March 2014 at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel in Mazatlan (all inclusive). We have been elsewhere in Mexico and this was our first time in Mazatlán. We booked a month ahead and paid a little extra for an ocean view room. I have to say that my wife was little skeptical about Mazatlán since just a month ago the world's most wanted drug lord was nabbed in in a condominium in the city. Well this trip turned out to be the best vacation we ever had in Mexico. The city and the resort by far exceeded our expectations. Except for the timeshare people in the lobby who were kind of annoying the first day, there is absolutely nothing negative we could say about this hotel. The staff was extremely nice, friendly and very helpful. They always greet you with a smile and they were always ready to help. Although the hotel is little bit old, we got a large clean room on the 8th floor. The ocean view was amazing, we always left the balcony door open and could sleep and wake up to the sound of the ocean waves. The beach was very nice, we spent most of our days laying in the sun and taking long walks. There were a lot of vendors and it was little bit annoying to say no hundred times a day especially if you were trying to read a book or simply relax on the beach. But we must say that they were not rude and they were all very nice, some of them even smiled and thanked us after we said no. The service at the pool-side bar was great. If you tip well (and we do tip a lot), the waiters are always happy to see you, they even remember your drinks and check on you regularly to make sure that you are well hydrated. The food at the buffet was average to good depending on the day of the week. Our waiter Ceasar (whom we gratefully thank) was extremely nice and rush always to greet us at the door of the ‘Pergola’ restaurant. He always served us with a big smile and made sure we had anything we needed.
The restaurant service was excellent, among the three restaurants we found that the food at the Italian and especially the Argentine restaurant (EL Patio) was the best. At the EL Patio restaurant, our waiter Julian was extremely nice and had a good sense of humor. The wine was exceptionally good and the waiters made you always feel good and welcome. After the dinner they would tell to take you time and enjoyed as much wine as you want which we gratefully did on few occasions.
We will definitely come back to this hotel but next time we will not do all inclusive as we found out that they were many good restaurants around also the town of mazatlan is simply fabulous!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Elkhalidy,

I will like to say that I am very happy to hear that for you and your wife, we are now your Best Vacation ever in Mexico. I have no words to thank for your awesome review about us and our service.

Our staff is always smiling and giving their best service and help to our guest because they are the most important for us. And knowing that we met all your expectations help us to continue giving our best and improve each by day for you.
We will wait to see you back soon, in not a far future. I know we will give you our best service again and be part of one more awesome vacation in Mexico.

BERKELEY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My stay got off to a bad start after waiting in line for 45 minutes to check-in only to be told I had to check in somewhere else! The main front desk was understaffed but for some reason there were 3 guys standing around behind the desk doing nothing and when asked said they couldn't help. Then went to "Club Elite" to check in and had to sign for a tv remote, lock for the safe, towel card, some form promising i wouldn't bring food into the room, and then one tried to explain the all-inclusive--no, no don't go to this restaurant, can't use it at this one. I asked about coffee in the room, no you have to pay for that, no free water, oh and internet is $100 pesos per day and you have to pay in advance. I don't believe they know what all-inclusive means. Got down to the pool next to my room and was told I could only get food at the other pool. I ordered a drink and the guy says "sorry we close at 6 but it was 10 minutes before 6. So I had to walk to the lobby and get a watered down drink there, the bar drinks were awful, there was very little alcohol. The food was pretty bad except for the breakfast buffet which had lots of fresh fruit and an omelet bar.Not sure what the appeal of this place is, to me it seemed tacky and seedy but I suppose it's cheap.
The beach scene was very annoying with a parade of vendors hawking their stuff and invading your space. There is a roped off area that meant nothing as the vendors would shove their jewelry and stuff very close. I dozed off only to be awakened by a guy holding the reins of 2 horses and yelling "Lady you want to ride on the beach!" Ugh.....
The best thing about this tacky rundown hotel was the oceanfront rooms, wonderful. I could hear the crashing waves all night. The room soundproofing was pretty good, I never heard my neighbors and on one side I had a family with at least 8 people in the room. I would likely never return to this resort.

Room Tip: get an oceanfront room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear, CalifWilm...

Thank you for taking the time to express your sincere thoughts on your recent stay although it saddens me to hear your stay was not pleasant due to miss lead information I thank you for bringing this constructive criticism to my attention as it give us an opportunity to better our service . I apologies for your check in to have been a little bit behind and id like to add that we have another type of all inclusive we have the all inclusive elite which I believe will be better suited for you because with this elite package it includes room service and it also includes golf tennis, not to mention you can also go and enjoy our other resort in Marina. I will definitely re address my security team the precautions needed to be taken when it comes to keeping vendors to give peace to our guest. I hope you will reconsider us in a near future and give us a second opportunity in make up for this not so great stay.

Warm Greetings

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

we just got back from a large family trip to the el cid castilla resort. our group was about 90 strong and overall i feel this resort did a great job hosting us. the staff and service all over was awesome and the pools were great. the kids loved the jumping rock and the waterslide. the park was also a big hit and a gathering place at night for us. we enjoyed the ocean side buffet and the al a carte restaurants were all decent. we all enjoyed the poolside activites and nightly entertainment. overall it was great. lots to do and plenty to drink.

if i was to give one negative it was that when we arrived, it was a little bid disorganized in the lobby as well as when we checked out. i do realize we were a large group. aside from a few small hiccups everything went very smooth and i would not be hesitant to stay their again when going to mazatlan.

thank you for the wonderful memories.

i forgot to mention the excellent crispy bacon at breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear, Terry W

First & foremost, I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. All of our guest observations and concerns are very important to us since it is the best source of information to improve our services and facilities. We are glad to read that your stay with us was great! We take pride in the training our employee receives. They typically respond to guests courteously, professionally & with empathy and they strive for excellence 100% of the time…we tell them to move heaven and earth to satisfy a customer

I regret your experience with the check in and out; I leave your concerns to the front desk manager and share with our department to make the necessary change to be more efficient during our registrations.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. I will be eagerly waiting for your next visit to Mazatlan!

Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed at the El Cid Castilla in Mazatlan from April 5th to the 12th and have never been so disappointed with a vacation. We have travelled throughout Mexico in the past staying at 3, 4 and 5 star properties. We were led to believe that the El Cid was the most popular property in Mazatlan and was a 4 star. I believe that this property should not be rated any more than a 3 based mostly on the service and misinformation.

Upon arrival, we were able to check in almost immediately (after being hit up for a timeshare- which is normal in Mexico). The room was clean and we were happy with our view. There were a LOT of restrictions regarding the restaurants, however and it was confusing as to where we could and could not go. La Cascada and La Pergola are buffet breakfast, this is fine. The following should be noted and corrected on the hotels description:

1)There is one restaurant that we could eat at for dinner buffet (it's La Pergola- El Campeador couldn’t be found).
2)The snack bar is the only option at lunch and all other restaurants are for dinner, reservation only (required to be made same day only by 830am or forget it) or we could pay extra.
3)The only coupons in the megapass coupon book that are useable are the ones for golf, or the restaurant at the El Cid Marina. If you’re a golfer, this might sound like a good coupon- but you can get a better deal at the clubhouse itself. If you want to use the coupon, the green fees are higher. The rest of the coupons are completely useless to guests in the all inclusive plan.
4)There are not 2 bars that are open in the evening, only the lobby bar, (which was filled with locals most nights with nowhere to sit). When the dinner show ends at 8pm, there is nothing to do other than the lobby bar or leave the hotel, which we ended up doing all 7 nights. The swim up bars close at 5pm.
5)Kayaks and boogie boards (non-motorized motorsports) are charged by the ½ hour, not complimentary.

The above misinformation was only part of the inconveniences we were about to experience at the El Cid Castilla.

In our room the first day, was 2 bottles of water (10 extra pesos each to go to a foundation) and 1 coffee for the in room coffee maker (15 extra pesos). We figured if we used these, it would be noted at the desk and we would have to pay at the end of our stay, or maybe they were included as this is an all inclusive and non-inclusive hotel in one, we would find out at check out and weren’t concerned at first, as we are accustomed to having at least coffee in the room.

When our room was cleaned after the first day, neither the water nor the coffee was replaced. After the second day, they also decided not to replace facecloths. Let me add we had been tipping the maid, as we do on all vacations, so I didn’t think this was the problem. We found out on the third day we could go to La Pergola or any of the bars and get bottled water for free, so we decided to make a trip to the front desk to find out why the water and coffee weren’t being replaced. We were told that because it’s donation to the Foundation, if we want coffee or water in our room we will have to go “find the maid” and ask her for it each day. They couldn’t give it to us at the desk and the young lady we spoke to (whose name I forgot to write down) was actually in shock that we received bottled water from any of the bars for free as apparently this was not the norm.

We found there was a constant misunderstanding of the front desk staff and many of the staff spoke very little English. Since we speak very little Spanish, this proved difficult most times. We’ve been very lucky in the past that the service staff at such resorts have some English speaking skills. We found that when we tried speaking Spanish to them, they would become quickly frustrated and try to speak back to us in English as if they wanted us to speak our native language, but then again came the difficulty.

Wanting to go shopping on Sunday, we were told by Terese at the “Information” desk that there was nothing open at all in town because it was Sunday and we should consider a tour instead that she could hook us up with. We decided to go against what she said, hired a pulmonia who took us into Old Mazatlan and lo and behold, almost all of the shops, including the market was open. I didn’t appreciate the outright lying just to try to get us to listen to her timeshare presentation.

It says Tips are optional. My husband and I have travelled many all inclusive vacations over the years and we do tip, when we receive exceptional service, not just because they are doing their job. At this resort, it was made clear to us very quickly that almost everyone required a tip and a hefty one at that, if we wanted to receive any sort of service at all.

If we didn’t tip for one drink, we were ignored. If we only tipped 2 dollars for one drink, we were given a dirty look and a muffled thank you and then we were ignored again for hours on end. Juan at the Castilla pool treated us this way regularly. After a few days, we just decided to go to the bar ourselves every time and come back to our beach chairs to avoid him being this way and avoid making us feel like we were a bother to him.

Leo (bartender at the pool bar) was absolutely wonderful. He was always smiling, always happy, and we had no issues tipping him regularly for his exceptional service.

There are propina (tip) boxes everywhere. Tips are Expected, not optional. If your tip isn’t suitable during the buffet breakfast or dinner, and you end up in that same waiter’s section the next night, watch out, because it’ll take half the meal before he comes to your table. If you aren’t tipping, don’t expect any service, unless you’re Mexican.

Yes, this resort is a local (within Mexico) tourist haven and the locals are clearly treated much better and differently than the Canadians, Americans or Europeans. They are plainly in front of other tourists treated differently. They are waited on as if they are Royalty (which I don’t expect, but I expect a server at least). It was extremely frustrating how painfully obvious the majority of the staff at this property paraded this separation. We, among others we met staying there, agreed on the display and the notion that this resort doesn’t really want “aliens” there.

One of the rules at the pool is not to take drinks across the pool. You can have your drink either at the swim up bar or at your deck chair….unless you’re Mexican. I watched a few of the American tourists get called out for trying to take drinks across the pool, but when the Mexicans did this, no one peeped.

Keeping on the topic of the pool and pool bar, there needs to be some sort of cut off for children around the pool bar. We believe the pool bar is the area where the adults should be able to sit and have their alcoholic drinks and not be bothered by splashes and beach balls knocking over our drinks. Mexican children had all of their drinks lined up along the bar, their flip flops littering the stairwells into the pool and would play along the bar. At one point, a ball hit me in the back of the head while sitting at the pool bar, and other times, our drinks were knocked over at the bar.

We complained about this, and no one seemed to care, they would just placate us by saying it was a good idea to separate the children from this area. The other pool bar that is available has a waterslide directly behind the seating area of the bar, which to us, doesn’t really scream “adult area”.

I do have to say, that ALL of the staff in the “Elite Club” or “Customer Service” as the front desk call it, were exceptional, and so were their English skills. One of the tour operators missed picking me up for my zip-lining tour, and Giuseppe (bellboy) became concerned for me and took me to the “Elite club” area and requested that someone call the company and get it resolved. Within 15 minutes, and 3 phone calls, it was resolved and I was on my way. Later that day, I was to have a CD with photos from the tour dropped off at the front desk for me, and they would either call my room when it was there, or slip it under my room door. The next morning, I enquired at the desk for my CD and they abruptly told me I don’t come to the front desk for questions or packages, I have to go to “customer service” and all guest deliveries go there. They also did not have the CD, but were willing to call the tour company again to investigate. They sent me back to the front desk to check again, and the staff became irritated with me for asking because they don't keep guest packages there. Four hours of investigation found my CD at the Front desk of the hotel where it had been left the night before.

When I finally retrieved my CD, at 4:30pm, our room had still not been cleaned and after telling the Elite Club staff, they sent someone straight away. I was informed at this time (upon asking) that we are supposed to have facecloths, coffee and water in our room daily. We still didn’t get any of them that afternoon and I went and found our maid afterwards to ask for a coffee packet, again.

Thursday night was seafood night at La Pergola. When I cracked open a few of the crab legs, the meat inside was a dull gray with black outlines along the shell area. I refused to eat this, and the waiter only laughed when my husband tried to tell him it was bad.

We have never been this disappointed and frustrated on an all inclusive vacation, ever. We have always felt that our vacation wasn’t long enough and wished we would stay longer. Our stay at the El Cid Castilla left us wanting to return home by Wednesday (9th) and anticipating returning home. We would not recommend this property to anyone. Not to mention, this experience has also left us questioning how Mazatlan can expect to increase their tourism to the city, if there are hotels that leave you feeling like you shouldn't be there because you aren't a local.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear, MichelleC

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed description of your recent stay with us. I am really sorry that your vacation was not what you expected it to be and that we did not come close to meeting your expectations. Given your thorough account, it is important for me to let you know that all of your recommendations have been noted and each one is being discussed with the team.

First of all, I am personally taken aback by your comments that you felt discriminated against by our staff. I do not question your personal experience but we are typically commended by our guests for our great service and have never received feedback from our international guests regarding preferential treatment towards nationals.

From the daily replenishment of items in your room to the lack of service that you experienced at the pool and at the front desk we have fallen short of our standards,. Typically the great service you received from Leo at the pool bar and the Elite Club concierge team is much more representative of our overall staff. To touch on some of your points, guests on the All Inclusive Plan do receive a free hour of boogie boarding and kayaking every day – I am not sure where this may have been miscommunicated. While you feel the Mega Pass may not be of value to All Inclusive guests, it is especially popular among guests who enjoy tours of the area, fishing, and boating as well as golf (although there are occasionally additonal golf discounts at the Pro Shop). Also, as a second bar, we have the Lobby Bar open at El Moro Beach, which is connected to Castilla Beach.

Again, our apologies for our role in a disappointing experience that is not representative of El Cid. I would sincerely like to discuss this with you further and hope you will afford me the opportunity to contact you directly.

Best regards,

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!