“large group trip to el cid castilla” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
“large group trip to el cid castilla”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

we just got back from a large family trip to the el cid castilla resort. our group was about 90 strong and overall i feel this resort did a great job hosting us. the staff and service all over was awesome and the pools were great. the kids loved the jumping rock and the waterslide. the park was also a big hit and a gathering place at night for us. we enjoyed the ocean side buffet and the al a carte restaurants were all decent. we all enjoyed the poolside activites and nightly entertainment. overall it was great. lots to do and plenty to drink.

if i was to give one negative it was that when we arrived, it was a little bid disorganized in the lobby as well as when we checked out. i do realize we were a large group. aside from a few small hiccups everything went very smooth and i would not be hesitant to stay their again when going to mazatlan.

thank you for the wonderful memories.

i forgot to mention the excellent crispy bacon at breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear, Terry W

First & foremost, I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. All of our guest observations and concerns are very important to us since it is the best source of information to improve our services and facilities. We are glad to read that your stay with us was great! We take pride in the training our employee receives. They typically respond to guests courteously, professionally & with empathy and they strive for excellence 100% of the time…we tell them to move heaven and earth to satisfy a customer

I regret your experience with the check in and out; I leave your concerns to the front desk manager and share with our department to make the necessary change to be more efficient during our registrations.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. I will be eagerly waiting for your next visit to Mazatlan!

Best Regards,

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed at the El Cid Castilla in Mazatlan from April 5th to the 12th and have never been so disappointed with a vacation. We have travelled throughout Mexico in the past staying at 3, 4 and 5 star properties. We were led to believe that the El Cid was the most popular property in Mazatlan and was a 4 star. I believe that this property should not be rated any more than a 3 based mostly on the service and misinformation.

Upon arrival, we were able to check in almost immediately (after being hit up for a timeshare- which is normal in Mexico). The room was clean and we were happy with our view. There were a LOT of restrictions regarding the restaurants, however and it was confusing as to where we could and could not go. La Cascada and La Pergola are buffet breakfast, this is fine. The following should be noted and corrected on the hotels description:

1)There is one restaurant that we could eat at for dinner buffet (it's La Pergola- El Campeador couldn’t be found).
2)The snack bar is the only option at lunch and all other restaurants are for dinner, reservation only (required to be made same day only by 830am or forget it) or we could pay extra.
3)The only coupons in the megapass coupon book that are useable are the ones for golf, or the restaurant at the El Cid Marina. If you’re a golfer, this might sound like a good coupon- but you can get a better deal at the clubhouse itself. If you want to use the coupon, the green fees are higher. The rest of the coupons are completely useless to guests in the all inclusive plan.
4)There are not 2 bars that are open in the evening, only the lobby bar, (which was filled with locals most nights with nowhere to sit). When the dinner show ends at 8pm, there is nothing to do other than the lobby bar or leave the hotel, which we ended up doing all 7 nights. The swim up bars close at 5pm.
5)Kayaks and boogie boards (non-motorized motorsports) are charged by the ½ hour, not complimentary.

The above misinformation was only part of the inconveniences we were about to experience at the El Cid Castilla.

In our room the first day, was 2 bottles of water (10 extra pesos each to go to a foundation) and 1 coffee for the in room coffee maker (15 extra pesos). We figured if we used these, it would be noted at the desk and we would have to pay at the end of our stay, or maybe they were included as this is an all inclusive and non-inclusive hotel in one, we would find out at check out and weren’t concerned at first, as we are accustomed to having at least coffee in the room.

When our room was cleaned after the first day, neither the water nor the coffee was replaced. After the second day, they also decided not to replace facecloths. Let me add we had been tipping the maid, as we do on all vacations, so I didn’t think this was the problem. We found out on the third day we could go to La Pergola or any of the bars and get bottled water for free, so we decided to make a trip to the front desk to find out why the water and coffee weren’t being replaced. We were told that because it’s donation to the Foundation, if we want coffee or water in our room we will have to go “find the maid” and ask her for it each day. They couldn’t give it to us at the desk and the young lady we spoke to (whose name I forgot to write down) was actually in shock that we received bottled water from any of the bars for free as apparently this was not the norm.

We found there was a constant misunderstanding of the front desk staff and many of the staff spoke very little English. Since we speak very little Spanish, this proved difficult most times. We’ve been very lucky in the past that the service staff at such resorts have some English speaking skills. We found that when we tried speaking Spanish to them, they would become quickly frustrated and try to speak back to us in English as if they wanted us to speak our native language, but then again came the difficulty.

Wanting to go shopping on Sunday, we were told by Terese at the “Information” desk that there was nothing open at all in town because it was Sunday and we should consider a tour instead that she could hook us up with. We decided to go against what she said, hired a pulmonia who took us into Old Mazatlan and lo and behold, almost all of the shops, including the market was open. I didn’t appreciate the outright lying just to try to get us to listen to her timeshare presentation.

It says Tips are optional. My husband and I have travelled many all inclusive vacations over the years and we do tip, when we receive exceptional service, not just because they are doing their job. At this resort, it was made clear to us very quickly that almost everyone required a tip and a hefty one at that, if we wanted to receive any sort of service at all.

If we didn’t tip for one drink, we were ignored. If we only tipped 2 dollars for one drink, we were given a dirty look and a muffled thank you and then we were ignored again for hours on end. Juan at the Castilla pool treated us this way regularly. After a few days, we just decided to go to the bar ourselves every time and come back to our beach chairs to avoid him being this way and avoid making us feel like we were a bother to him.

Leo (bartender at the pool bar) was absolutely wonderful. He was always smiling, always happy, and we had no issues tipping him regularly for his exceptional service.

There are propina (tip) boxes everywhere. Tips are Expected, not optional. If your tip isn’t suitable during the buffet breakfast or dinner, and you end up in that same waiter’s section the next night, watch out, because it’ll take half the meal before he comes to your table. If you aren’t tipping, don’t expect any service, unless you’re Mexican.

Yes, this resort is a local (within Mexico) tourist haven and the locals are clearly treated much better and differently than the Canadians, Americans or Europeans. They are plainly in front of other tourists treated differently. They are waited on as if they are Royalty (which I don’t expect, but I expect a server at least). It was extremely frustrating how painfully obvious the majority of the staff at this property paraded this separation. We, among others we met staying there, agreed on the display and the notion that this resort doesn’t really want “aliens” there.

One of the rules at the pool is not to take drinks across the pool. You can have your drink either at the swim up bar or at your deck chair….unless you’re Mexican. I watched a few of the American tourists get called out for trying to take drinks across the pool, but when the Mexicans did this, no one peeped.

Keeping on the topic of the pool and pool bar, there needs to be some sort of cut off for children around the pool bar. We believe the pool bar is the area where the adults should be able to sit and have their alcoholic drinks and not be bothered by splashes and beach balls knocking over our drinks. Mexican children had all of their drinks lined up along the bar, their flip flops littering the stairwells into the pool and would play along the bar. At one point, a ball hit me in the back of the head while sitting at the pool bar, and other times, our drinks were knocked over at the bar.

We complained about this, and no one seemed to care, they would just placate us by saying it was a good idea to separate the children from this area. The other pool bar that is available has a waterslide directly behind the seating area of the bar, which to us, doesn’t really scream “adult area”.

I do have to say, that ALL of the staff in the “Elite Club” or “Customer Service” as the front desk call it, were exceptional, and so were their English skills. One of the tour operators missed picking me up for my zip-lining tour, and Giuseppe (bellboy) became concerned for me and took me to the “Elite club” area and requested that someone call the company and get it resolved. Within 15 minutes, and 3 phone calls, it was resolved and I was on my way. Later that day, I was to have a CD with photos from the tour dropped off at the front desk for me, and they would either call my room when it was there, or slip it under my room door. The next morning, I enquired at the desk for my CD and they abruptly told me I don’t come to the front desk for questions or packages, I have to go to “customer service” and all guest deliveries go there. They also did not have the CD, but were willing to call the tour company again to investigate. They sent me back to the front desk to check again, and the staff became irritated with me for asking because they don't keep guest packages there. Four hours of investigation found my CD at the Front desk of the hotel where it had been left the night before.

When I finally retrieved my CD, at 4:30pm, our room had still not been cleaned and after telling the Elite Club staff, they sent someone straight away. I was informed at this time (upon asking) that we are supposed to have facecloths, coffee and water in our room daily. We still didn’t get any of them that afternoon and I went and found our maid afterwards to ask for a coffee packet, again.

Thursday night was seafood night at La Pergola. When I cracked open a few of the crab legs, the meat inside was a dull gray with black outlines along the shell area. I refused to eat this, and the waiter only laughed when my husband tried to tell him it was bad.

We have never been this disappointed and frustrated on an all inclusive vacation, ever. We have always felt that our vacation wasn’t long enough and wished we would stay longer. Our stay at the El Cid Castilla left us wanting to return home by Wednesday (9th) and anticipating returning home. We would not recommend this property to anyone. Not to mention, this experience has also left us questioning how Mazatlan can expect to increase their tourism to the city, if there are hotels that leave you feeling like you shouldn't be there because you aren't a local.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear, MichelleC

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed description of your recent stay with us. I am really sorry that your vacation was not what you expected it to be and that we did not come close to meeting your expectations. Given your thorough account, it is important for me to let you know that all of your recommendations have been noted and each one is being discussed with the team.

First of all, I am personally taken aback by your comments that you felt discriminated against by our staff. I do not question your personal experience but we are typically commended by our guests for our great service and have never received feedback from our international guests regarding preferential treatment towards nationals.

From the daily replenishment of items in your room to the lack of service that you experienced at the pool and at the front desk we have fallen short of our standards,. Typically the great service you received from Leo at the pool bar and the Elite Club concierge team is much more representative of our overall staff. To touch on some of your points, guests on the All Inclusive Plan do receive a free hour of boogie boarding and kayaking every day – I am not sure where this may have been miscommunicated. While you feel the Mega Pass may not be of value to All Inclusive guests, it is especially popular among guests who enjoy tours of the area, fishing, and boating as well as golf (although there are occasionally additonal golf discounts at the Pro Shop). Also, as a second bar, we have the Lobby Bar open at El Moro Beach, which is connected to Castilla Beach.

Again, our apologies for our role in a disappointing experience that is not representative of El Cid. I would sincerely like to discuss this with you further and hope you will afford me the opportunity to contact you directly.

Best regards,

Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I spent a week at El Cid Castilla in March, and had the best time. The pools are so nice, and the location is perfect because it's right on the ocean! The food is great and there is lots of things to do! Special thanks to the Activities directors Frank and Hans for being so nice, and always having something fun for us to do! (Like crazy games and volleyball!!)

• Stayed March 2014
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear, Guest6868

Many thanks for taking time and effort to share your wonderful experiences to the readers of the Trip Advisor.

We are very glad to read about your kind review and charming words about the facilities, especially to know that you enjoyed the ocean, great food and activities with Frank and Hands.

Each guest comment is without a doubt an opportunity to all the team members, as this will tremendously help us in continuously and constantly improve on our services.

Once again, thank you so much for your confidence, I am sure you will become our frequent guest and will all be more than happy to welcome you back soon!
My best,

Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We had booked an ocean view room months ahead of time, we were put on the first floor with no ocean view whatsover, I complained and they put us on the ninth floor in this horrible room, so we went back to the first floor. Our room had an adjoining door, which you could literally see daylight into the other room, the people in the other room had their tv on, I do not think it was actually that loud, but the plywood door was so thin, you could hear every little noise. I could hear their entire conversations. Finally after three nights I went to the Elite office and asked for the manager, he or she was not in, but a young woman by the name of Estafanie was super helpful and finally got us a better room on the 15th floor. The room had a balcony and two bathrooms, and was very quiet. She was great.
The hotel is packed with kids. The Mexican restaurant was very good and the best waiter there is Edwardo. The Italian restaurant and the Patio were also very good. All the waiters were really good, but they remembered us because we always left a pretty good tip. The time share people are sooooooo annoying they hound you to death, no matter how many times you say no. I personally would never stay there again, but it might be okay for families with kids.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not have a room with an adjoining door
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Donavan04,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and filling us in on your recent trip. I regret to hear you did not have the best of times upon your arrival by having problems with your room. I do wish you could have gone to our Elite Girls a bit sooner so they could have found a quicker solution but never the less I am so proud to have Estefany on board , I will definitely be giving her as well as the wait staff the recognition deserved for providing such excellent service I’m We hope you visit us again soon.

Warm regards,
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I've stayed at other 3.5 star resorts in other Mexican cities, so I had a certain level of quality expectations going in. My overall experience was by no means horrible, but it wasn't good either.

Service - everyone was friendly, and spoke excellent English. In regards to service, this exceeded expectations. I felt very welcome.

Food -
This area was the most lacking. There were around 5 or 6 restaurants, but there were a couple that were exclusive to Elite guests only. There was the 1 buffet restaurant, which was your typical bland buffet fare. Couldn't complain much about that. Then there's the snack bar, which was under construction, so the snack service was being done out of the pool-side bar, and due to the construction, the line up for that was so long that I didn't even bother.

Then there are the specialty restaurants - Italian, Japanese (sushi), Argentinian and Mexican styles. The Mexican restaurant was great! It felt very authentic (it better be!). The other restaurants were pretty horrible though. The meats, like steak and pork chops, were chewy, the sauces tasted like it came from a can, and the food in general seemed like they were microwaved.

I highly recommend not doing the all-inclusive and just going out to eat. The outside restaurants were great and not overly expensive.

Room -
The room was pleasant and clean. The cleaning staff did a great job. However, there was construction going on in the room next to mine. I had paint fumes carry over into my room through the A/C vent, and they worked late into the night so there was loud banging while we were trying to sleep. I complained to the front desk, and all they offered to do was tape up the A/C vent in the room being renovated so the fumes don't travel over. While that did solve the fumes problem, we still had the other annoyances. I'm sure they didn't have construction going on everywhere, so my poor experience was probably an unlucky isolated incident.

Beach -
It was a very nice beach. However, there are a LOT of vendors. Every 5 minutes, the vendors would walk by where I was laying down and asked if I wanted to buy something. They weren't rude about it, and went on their way if you said no, but it's super annoying having to say no to a vendor every few minutes. It wasn't very relaxing at all. We were told that the beach is federal property, so it was out of the hotel's control... but despite whose fault it is, it is still a negative experience.

Misc -
One MAJOR MAJOR negative - timeshare. I was constantly hounded by the timeshare people. It was to the point where I had to find ways to avoid walking near the timeshare area. Luckily the timeshare desk is only in one place though (across from reception). Warning, they look like concierge/info desk, but they are NOT. If you don't like timeshare, don't get fooled into talking to them. I guess some people don't mind spending their vacation time listening to sales pitches though, so... your call.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Gordon,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I’m glad you found my staff to be very helpful and kind, I have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the hotel as I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher stander of excellence in the feature. We are however saddened that you did not find our food to your satisfaction and that you found the construction to be noisy. I would like to announce that we are already done with the construction being done in La Alambrah and I am sure if you were to come visit us again you would be quite pleased. I apologize for the bad time the timeshare people made you go through I will definitely talk to them and inform the about the un appropriate behavior. If you ever come across Mazatlan again I hope we are able to have the pleasure to host you.

Kind regards,
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I'll start by saying that we have stayed at the Riu Emerald Bay in Mazatlan previously, and while it was a finer hotel from the point of view of the rooms and foyer, I can't honestly say I had a better time there than I did at the Castilla. On to the review... It was quite crowded on the weekend with a lot of locals there on weekend packages, but on Sunday it cleared out and it was quite reasonable. Lots of room at the pools, bars and ala carte restaurants. The buffet food was all good quality, but like most resorts there was a certain sameness to it after 3 or 4 days. The ala cartes were all different however.. with the sushi place being a "meh" at best.. Italian was just ok, Argentinian was quite good, and naturally the Mexican place was dynamite! Only gripe about the drinking part was no bottled beer, and only occasionally some cans if you twisted someone's arm. Just draft, draft, and more draft. But that's pretty small potatoes when you have an unending supply of anything you want. Otherwise great waiter service even out on the beach. Even better if you through 50 pesos around once in a while. Staff were all nice with the exception of one cranky little broad in the buffet omelette table one day.. can't remember her name but she was young so maybe had a chip on her shoulder. Service in the buffet restaraunt was terrific every time. Our housekeeper Ramona was just awesome and had a great smile and pleasant words every time we ran into each other. She was definitely a highlight! My one serious complaint about the whole time was that even though they have a rope barrier down at the beach, which I assumed was the "no-go" zone for the crap-merchants, it seemed to be ignored and the hotel security did nothing to enforce it. I was tired out by the ceaseless offers of shoddy crafts and fake tattoos. I understand that people need to make a living, but I came there to rest and that was too much. I got over it though and still had a great time. I would return here if I was after another all inclusive.

Room Tip: spend the extra few bucks when you get there and stay in the tower. Nicer rooms and a killer view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mugsy M ,

Thank you for taking the time to your this review. I am sadden to hear that you trip was not it’s finest and that you had a few minor inconveniences along the way. It is unfortunate you were not pleased with our Restaurants we work hard to always try and have the best cuisines but nevertheless I appreciate you bringing it to my attention I will talk to my food and beverage department. I am pleased my staff was kind to you and provided great service they are truly what make a difference. I’m glad you took a notice on how hard we try to keep our installations clean and presentable. In regards to the vendors In the beach I am really concerned to hear that security has not been as attentive to vendors crossing the rope limit I will personally take care of this matter and the proper precautions will be dealt with. We await for your next visit.

Dundas, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We traveled as a family with 2 teenagers 13 and 15 years old during March break from Toronto.
We arrived at 10:30 in the morning. Kids were starving,No access to any food, No welcoming cocktail, even Snack bar was not open to serve ( which is suppose to be open all the time)we ended up eating some nuts that I had from home.
Lady at the reception misinformed us about opening time of snack bar and had basically no idea.
we were booked for a room having pool view but you could hardly see any pool view. It was all covered by trees.There was a construction happening in the room next door to us,therefore there was no peace and relaxation time for us. I don't understand WHY they send their guests to the room full of action ?!!! Also there was a sound of hammering walls during the nights from some areas at the Hotel.There was also constant noise of construction right beside one of the 2 pools,where you want to sit and relax during the day.
Smoking was also permitted every where even at the pool area where there are usually bunch of kids trying to enjoy themselves. Imagine people with Asthma including my own children that had to deal with the situation.
We've been traveling a few times a year as a couple and always book all-inclusive resorts, but NEVER SEEN ANY ALL- INCLUSIVE like this one which was ABSOLUTELY NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE AT ALL !!!!!
For example, 2 pools right close to each other,2 snack bars, but you have to pay for your Nachos at this pool and if you want it for free,you have to walk to the other pool and get it there!!
Does it make sense to u? Lack of servers every where, the only server walking by the pool asked me once if I like some thing to drink( and that was after passing by so many times without asking),I asked for a coffee but he kept forgetting my request and kept asking me if I wanted some thing to drink and I finally asked my husband to get it for me. The same with alcohol or any order at the restaurants. Very slow service,Lack of employees, lack of management,...
Basically,only one Buffet restaurant was open for food and all the other options are just a big lies.You seem to be always late to book other food choices.
You ask for a shot of Tequila and bar tender quickly tries to sell you their own El Cid brand in smaller size than a usual.
Evening entertainments were o.k. Dance moves could have been better and more professional,but all the performances were soooo cute and very talented. Problem was chirography.
Due to some Mexican Holiday, it got so busy for a few days and less spots available at the beach or pool, almost close to none chair was left to sit. People put their towels on the chairs before 6 o'clock in the morning. They had a new live band of 3 people with amazing voices for a few nights at the reception area( when hotel was packed with guests) and they only sang memorable English songs and I really enjoyed them and got so excited my friend gave them 20 dollars as a tip (while others gave them nothing )and requested one popular Spanish song,but they said NO ( not in a polite way and my friend found their respond very rude,especially after giving them an amazing tip) at least they could have said : "No sorry "or "may be tomorrow",...
As I mentioned we had problem with our room as well and we tried to talk to the Manager,had hard time seeing her,kept us going back and forth to her office, was hardly there,and did not do any thing about it, she was just all nice talk and no action, so we ended up staying in the same room for a week.
I don't recommend 2 weeks for anyone at any El Cid resorts,since we met people staying at El Cid Marine having time sharing and got sooo bored ( not much happening and food was even worst in there, as they said.
The best part was WEATHER,nice blue sky every day with no sign of clouds in March,location was good ,close to town.
Result : The only "suppose to be ALL-INCLUSIVE" which was ABSOLUTELY NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE at all.
We would not recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Fred N ,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review we appreciate you writing such a detailed description. It’s unfortunate that you were not able to have such a great time do to some inconveniences. I would like to clarify that we do have 4 different resorts so there for if you reserved at al el cid Castilla your all inclusive would only allow What is Castilla we do however make an exception with the ala carts giving the fact that they are all spread out through the 4 hotel and we also allow guest to use any pools they would like from other facilitys. My sincere apologize for the disruption made due to construction being done, please note the construction we do is always to better our resort and to make our guests happy. In regards to the staff not giving exemplary service this really does concern me because as you can see in other reviews my staff has always presented outstanding service nevertheless I will check this immediately! I am sorry I was not able to have found an appropriate time for us to meet I would of loved to have gotten together and hear our helpful feedback.

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!