“Old Resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 50% Off
Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Kamloops, Canada
“Old Resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Just returned from the El Cid. We were disapointed that the beach front restaurant was closed for renovations. If restaurants are under construction, or any construction is going on, this should be mentioned to customers before they book the resort. The noise from the workers cutting tiles and hammering cement all day was very annoying. This is a very old resort and the rooms show it. Bathroom drains had problems draining and the tub water even came up from the drain in the middle of the floor, flooding the floor. After 2 calls to the front office this problem was fixed but the bathroon sink still backed up and took a long time to drain. Beds were small doubles and hard as rock. Food in the buffet was of poor quality and mostly cold. Kids running and screaming all over the buffet area. The specialty resaurants were better. The grilled food at the swim up bar area was terrible. There are two other beachside areas to eat but you have to pay for an upgrade to eat there. The food looked a little better there. The entertainment was a joke. Just the same people in different outfits lip-syncing different songs each night. The lounge in the middle of the resort was old and boreing. I would not recommend or return to this resort.

Room Tip: Stay at a newer resort
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Bolt109,

It is unfortunate to hear that you had a not so pleasant stay; we appreciate good comments as well as constructive criticism. I apologize for the disruption made by our construction crew and that you were not able to enjoy our beach front due to renovation but please not that we have already started renovating rooms and we have yet more to do there are just so many rooms we can do at a time but I promise we are working on it. It really concerns me that my staff didn’t provided fast service when you reported your problem rest assures the proper precaution will be taken. If you’re looking for a more tranquil place we suggest maybe next time staying at one of our other hotel such as marina or Granada which are known to be more peaceful. Castilla happens to be our most busy hotel due to the fact that the beach is closer and a lot of families like that. I really do hope you change your mind and if you ever find yourself in Mazatlan you give us another opportunity to make up for this I can assure you will be empressesd with our progress to make our resort the best.

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Sparta Wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We were at El Cid Feb 8th thru the 15th. One week was just not enough!! We came in a group of 26 from Wisconsin we all checked in later on a Saturday night and the check in was very smooth. The week just got better from that moment on,I can't say enough good things about the staff, everyone was so helpful. we had rooms in the same area 0101 to 0316 all were great rooms pool view and convenient. Noe the bellboy spoke very good English and helped us out a lot getting cabs and info etc. Helping my parents get to the casino across the street!! (they had a great time) Angel who helped us book our fishing trip, we caught 3 marlins and our other boat caught 1 marlin, our booze cruise to deer island. (which was a great day Ceasar one the boat was a lot of fun). Everyone agreed that we would definitely come back to El Cid Castilla , but we would make it a longer stay. We went to the Mexican restaurant for my husbands birthday on the 9th ,it was fun and good food we did the Argentinian one night it was good too, we didn't see the Italian or sushi restaurants (not enough time) When we went to El Cid Marina I though our AI would allow us a beverage there after a 8 hour fishing trip but there was nothing at the marina included with AI. website was a little confusing with the AI info. all in all I would go back to this resort for sure.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Vikki5596,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. How great you were able to visit us with so many friends and all of you had a good time! Kind words like you’re always motivate us to keep bringing such exemplarity service. Our aim is to always make sure our guest is well attended and seems we were able to do just that in your case. Noe , Cesar, and Angel well be giving a personal well done for their hard efforts it’s a pleasure to have them on board as my staff . Happy belated to your husband I’m glad we were able to be a part of his birthday celebration and that we made his day special. We hope to have the pleasure in hosting you again in a near future so you can see all the fun new and exciting things we are bringing to el Cid Resorts.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

It was my first time to the Pacific side of Mexico and the El Cid turned out to be a fantastic surprise. The staff are excellent and very friendly and helpful. The food was great and we ate at the buffet most of the time as the menu changed daily.
The pools are clean and not over crowded. We met lots of interesting people and the event crew worked hard to ensure everyone was having fun.
I heard that you can't use the ocean much on this side, however we were able to swim and boogie board daily.
The beach was also clean and even though there were vendors out working the crowd, a simple no thanks was enough for most to move on.
I have been to many all inclusives in my life, but this was my son's first and I must say we couldn't have had a better time. Thanks to the staff and management at the El Cid for a great vacation!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear, Neil H

Thank you so much for your positive reviews concerning our hotel in your first trip to the beautiful port of Mazatlan! It is great to here that we are providing the service our guests are looking for in a hotel.

Your review captures very well many of the aspects of our hotel we are very proud of: the beauty of our hotel, how we treat each guest as special.
We sincerely appreciate you referring to your vacation as "awesome", and for your hearty recommendation.

And as you comment that you would stay here again, we hope to see you soon!

Kind regards,

Roseville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here 02/20/14 - 02/27/14. Room 1411 ocean view in the tower. We worried about the negative reviews we read. But we had a great stay. I really feel that you would be hard pressed not to love this place. We have stayed at many all inclusives over the last 20 plus years and loved the El Cid!

We had the standard all inclusive plan.

2 adults 2 teenage kids.

The room, the grounds, the staff, all top notch. Tips are appreciated, but not necessary. Everyone was very courteous and helpful. Unfortunately, we did see those who were having issues with the staff. This was self inflicted. It seems some people simply cant help themselves but to be rude and nasty to the very people who are busting their butts to make sure everyone has a great time.

We ate at the reservation only venues each night. We had to wait in line each morning for a few minutes to make our reservation, but we have found this to be the case at many all inclusives. This was not an issue for us. The guys getting the coffee ready at the lobby bar each morning made our wait much more tolerable. Very Friendly!

These are listed by favorite and the number of times we ate at each.
Italian (3)
Argentinian (2)
Sushi (1)
Mexican (1)

The rest of the family will argue that the Argentinian was best, and it is a close call. It is located out doors, and the warm breeze under the stars is tough to beat.
All of them had great food and great service. Luis at the Italian was the best. The house wine (red or white) ran from OK to terrible. I would not recommend it as a first choice of beverage.

Breakfast and lunches were at the buffet. Ricardo always made sure we had all that we needed. The omelets in the morning were fantastic! Snacks by the pool were OK. Probably worth skipping. The pool/beach grill was closed due to construction.

Midnight snack bar was not up to par. We enjoyed going to Senor Frogs next door much better for our late night chow.

Drinks were great. Martin at the lobby bar is the finest bartender we have ever met. As soon as he saw us headed his way he started pouring our favorite drinks. You need to find this guy!

Room had everything we needed. Nothing special, beside the view. Beds were slightly firm and small, but not enough to be a bother. Plenty of towels. House keeping did a great job. Beach towels had to be signed out on a card, not a problem.

Pools were never crowded or too loud. Lots of room to do or do nothing. Swim up bars were clean and easy to order at. We did not spend much time sitting in the pool chairs, so I can't really comment. It looked there were plenty of open spots around the pool and on the beach.

We played tennis (extra charge), took the kayaks out. Rented jet skis from both the hotel and the vendors to right of the hotel. Raul and the rest of the hotel rental staff were great to deal with. The vendors on the beach caused us to be stranded, out of gas, in the bay. When they finally got us going again our allotted time did not match up to our kids time, so we rode separate for most of the time. When I asked for discount they said " Discount?, I was going to ask for a tip" The small savings they offered was not worth it. Don't mess with them.

We also took the pulmonia city tour. You should not miss this! So much to see and experience. We always felt safe on the streets night or day.

We hit the casino across the street from El Moro a couple of nights. Actually left up instead of down!

I'm probably leaving some things out, but they would only be more of the great comments we have to say about our stay.

We will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: Ocean view in the tower is the way to go.
Dear, Boggs,rose…

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments, without constructive feedback from our guests such as yourself, it is not possible for our company to measure the quality of the services provided, and thanks to it we are able to continue with our standards of service and also have an opportunity to reinforce those matters that require it.

I am glad you found the hotel charming, in a great location and the staff make you feel like a royalty. I know the staff will be truly happy that they made a positive impact on your stay.
We naturally are delighted to hear that you have totally enjoyed your visit and that you experienced the unique pleasure of our different restaurant such us Alcazar, Argentine, Japanese, Mexican. Your referrals are very important to us to encourage our staff and us. All your suggestion will bear in our mind in the future in order to improve our quality and services for our guests.

Before closing I want to say that with the large number of hotels available in the market place, I realize that you had a choice. I greatly appreciate that you chose to stay with us at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

The hotel is not new but it is well maintained in all areas. There are still renovations going on and the La Alhambra Restaurant (outdoor noon buffet) is closed.The pool view room (260) was well appointed and clean but the view was obstructed.The staff in all areas were great in particular Ramon Morales at the La Cascada pool bar he treated us like royalty.The house keeping staff also did a great job restoring our room to pristine condition every day.I would highly recommend the El Alcazar Restaurant as the food and service there was exceptional and by far the best in the resort.Overall we can recommend the El Cid Castilla and we can't wait to go back and see Ramon again!
Henry/Helen.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear, Henry K

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are so pleased that you felt the hotel was gorgeous and we aim to please our guests in every way. We are so sorry that you felt the hotel was not new but was well maintained. I’m will share your nice comment regards to Ramon Morales for let him know his excellent job.

We are glad that you could experience the variety of things to see and do in our hotel and I truly appreciate your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.

Best Regards,

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I would like to say what a great time I had at El CID and mention two of their staff in particular. Emilia Ulloa was one of the BEST staff personnel I ever had the pleasure of working with. Also Felix Flores, a waiter with a great attitude and experience, was a pleasure to be around. Thank you, Rich/ Sherry.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Rich K ,

Thank you for sharing your marvelous comment about our resort. I’m so thrilled to hear that you had an impeccable stay and that my staff was able to provide exemplarity service I will definitely let Emilia Ulloa , and Felix Flores know about your kind words I’m sure that once they hear this it will motivate them even more to keep providing such service. We hope to see you soon.
Best Regards,

Salvatore Sánchez
General Manager.
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is our third 10-day all-inclusive vacation to El Cid Castilla since 2009 . This is not a new facility but is well maintained in the common areas. Construction is going on at the La Alhambra Restaurant (Outdoor noon buffet is closed) This restaurant is located between the pool and beach and they predict it to be completed in a month.

The La Pergola offers a breakfast, noon , supper buffet. The breakfast buffet is outstanding. Isabel makes awesome any style eggs with a smile. The hostess and hostesses are quite friendly and helpful. This is one of their restaurants where you do not need to make reservations. Do not miss their nightly entertainment programs which usually begin around 7:30 P.M. The program and dancers are excellant and will keep you entertained. You may get bored eating both the noon and supper buffets here daily.

We enjoyed supper at the El Patio Argentina Restaurant next to the El Cid's Granada Hotel's pool under the stars. The lighting did make it difficult to read the menu but the waiters were of great assistance. The food was delicious and offered a great salad bar. They served the best steak I've had in Mazatlan.

If you're in the mood for Italian and need a little more pampering, you'll have to try out the El Alcazar Restaurant. This is located on the second floor behind the Lobby Bar. The Italian dishes are fabulous and their desserts are to die for!

Make sure and visit the Elite Room early in the morning to make your reservations for your evening meals if you're not doing the buffet. They book up fast and you can only book for that day!

Our room, Room 6114, was located on the 6th floor of the tower - overlooking the ocean and pool. Each unit on our floor had an outdoor patio to enjoy the views of the pool, ocean and the beautiful sunsets. We found the matresses to be quite uncomfortable and hard. The mattresses do sit on poured cement. Request additional mattress pads to make it softer. This didn't help much and had requested another room to no avail. We had a problem with a shower that had too much pressure and made terrible sounds. A plumber came to our rescue with 10 minutes to make the necessary repairs. Our maid, Ramona (P-6), did a fabulous job cleaning our room and always asked us if there was anything else we needed. She spoke very good English.

While laying at their beautiful pool you'll probably have the opportunity to be served by a waiter named "Enrique." We would rotate daily to his area because he's the best! There is also a swim up bar in our pool if you're looking for some shade. You can order snacks and hamburgers etc. in this area as well. Each day there was daily "Bingo" games, water exercise, a Crazy Game or some type of activity. If you'd like a chair by the pool...get up early. They fill up fast.

If you like to shop you're within a short walking distance. For those wanting to shop downtown in the Old Town Market you can catch the bus "Sabolos Centro" right outside the front door on the street. It'll cost you 10 pecos each way. There is a Money Exchange at the hotel for your convenience.

If you like to walk the beach, you're in luck! The beach is beautiful. There are beach peddlers on the beach who were quite pleasant.

THE BAD: Be leary of anyone by the name of Marco (tall, dark, handsome who speaks English)trying to give you an invitation for an opportunity/timeshare presentation outside of the hotel.

Room Tip: I would recommend an ocean view in the center tower section above the 6th floor...the higher the bet...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear, KANDILAKE

Many thanks for your kind remarks relating to your recent stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. Mazatlan is a spectacular city and I’m happy that you enjoyed the beautiful beaches and fantastic weather… I’m fortunate to live here.

Your review of our hotel really does cover all facets of our services and for that I am grateful. I know that your positive review will be the deciding factor for many guests who are in two minds about where to stay. Reading your review really does make it worth it and I will make sure to post your review in our employee lounge.

We are so happy to know that you have stayed with us and have experienced our superior customer service. We are extremely proud of our efforts in maintaining a very high level of customer service, and we want to thank you for your recognition. Thank you also for mentioning the great staff, especially Fernando! He is a real asset to our hotel and I will be sure to convey your compliments to him.

Furthermore, I do regret that you r experience with the time share people outside the hotel, we are away from bring these people out of the street, but we work hard for care of our customers to keep away of this, always recommended to don't make deals. For be clear with you this is not dangerous people but yes, they can be annoying.

When you return, please contact me personally if there is anything I can do to make your stay with us more comfortable, you won’t be disappointed.

Sincerely

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!