“EL CID hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
New Oceanfront Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 76 hotels in Mazatlan
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“EL CID hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I would like to say what a great time I had at El CID and mention two of their staff in particular. Emilia Ulloa was one of the BEST staff personnel I ever had the pleasure of working with. Also Felix Flores, a waiter with a great attitude and experience, was a pleasure to be around. Thank you, Rich/ Sherry.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Rich K ,

Thank you for sharing your marvelous comment about our resort. I’m so thrilled to hear that you had an impeccable stay and that my staff was able to provide exemplarity service I will definitely let Emilia Ulloa , and Felix Flores know about your kind words I’m sure that once they hear this it will motivate them even more to keep providing such service. We hope to see you soon.
Best Regards,

Salvatore Sánchez
General Manager.

1,361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is our third 10-day all-inclusive vacation to El Cid Castilla since 2009 . This is not a new facility but is well maintained in the common areas. Construction is going on at the La Alhambra Restaurant (Outdoor noon buffet is closed) This restaurant is located between the pool and beach and they predict it to be completed in a month.

The La Pergola offers a breakfast, noon , supper buffet. The breakfast buffet is outstanding. Isabel makes awesome any style eggs with a smile. The hostess and hostesses are quite friendly and helpful. This is one of their restaurants where you do not need to make reservations. Do not miss their nightly entertainment programs which usually begin around 7:30 P.M. The program and dancers are excellant and will keep you entertained. You may get bored eating both the noon and supper buffets here daily.

We enjoyed supper at the El Patio Argentina Restaurant next to the El Cid's Granada Hotel's pool under the stars. The lighting did make it difficult to read the menu but the waiters were of great assistance. The food was delicious and offered a great salad bar. They served the best steak I've had in Mazatlan.

If you're in the mood for Italian and need a little more pampering, you'll have to try out the El Alcazar Restaurant. This is located on the second floor behind the Lobby Bar. The Italian dishes are fabulous and their desserts are to die for!

Make sure and visit the Elite Room early in the morning to make your reservations for your evening meals if you're not doing the buffet. They book up fast and you can only book for that day!

Our room, Room 6114, was located on the 6th floor of the tower - overlooking the ocean and pool. Each unit on our floor had an outdoor patio to enjoy the views of the pool, ocean and the beautiful sunsets. We found the matresses to be quite uncomfortable and hard. The mattresses do sit on poured cement. Request additional mattress pads to make it softer. This didn't help much and had requested another room to no avail. We had a problem with a shower that had too much pressure and made terrible sounds. A plumber came to our rescue with 10 minutes to make the necessary repairs. Our maid, Ramona (P-6), did a fabulous job cleaning our room and always asked us if there was anything else we needed. She spoke very good English.

While laying at their beautiful pool you'll probably have the opportunity to be served by a waiter named "Enrique." We would rotate daily to his area because he's the best! There is also a swim up bar in our pool if you're looking for some shade. You can order snacks and hamburgers etc. in this area as well. Each day there was daily "Bingo" games, water exercise, a Crazy Game or some type of activity. If you'd like a chair by the pool...get up early. They fill up fast.

If you like to shop you're within a short walking distance. For those wanting to shop downtown in the Old Town Market you can catch the bus "Sabolos Centro" right outside the front door on the street. It'll cost you 10 pecos each way. There is a Money Exchange at the hotel for your convenience.

If you like to walk the beach, you're in luck! The beach is beautiful. There are beach peddlers on the beach who were quite pleasant.

THE BAD: Be leary of anyone by the name of Marco (tall, dark, handsome who speaks English)trying to give you an invitation for an opportunity/timeshare presentation outside of the hotel.

Room Tip: I would recommend an ocean view in the center tower section above the 6th floor...the higher the bet...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear, KANDILAKE

Many thanks for your kind remarks relating to your recent stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. Mazatlan is a spectacular city and I’m happy that you enjoyed the beautiful beaches and fantastic weather… I’m fortunate to live here.

Your review of our hotel really does cover all facets of our services and for that I am grateful. I know that your positive review will be the deciding factor for many guests who are in two minds about where to stay. Reading your review really does make it worth it and I will make sure to post your review in our employee lounge.

We are so happy to know that you have stayed with us and have experienced our superior customer service. We are extremely proud of our efforts in maintaining a very high level of customer service, and we want to thank you for your recognition. Thank you also for mentioning the great staff, especially Fernando! He is a real asset to our hotel and I will be sure to convey your compliments to him.

Furthermore, I do regret that you r experience with the time share people outside the hotel, we are away from bring these people out of the street, but we work hard for care of our customers to keep away of this, always recommended to don't make deals. For be clear with you this is not dangerous people but yes, they can be annoying.

When you return, please contact me personally if there is anything I can do to make your stay with us more comfortable, you won’t be disappointed.

Sincerely

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We had a 12 day stay with the all inclusive package. There were 6 of us (3 couples).

Fun and Friendly helpful staff
English/Spanish spoken

We got to know lots of the staff, like Martin the Bartender in the Mainfloor Lounge who would start making our favorite drinks as soon as he saw us approaching! It's no wonder he's so good at his job: He told us he has been there for 28 years! Getting to know your servers and bartenders and returning to have the same server each night is nice - it really make the resort feel familiar.

Resort Activities: The activity staff provide poolside bingo, games, water-aerobics, spanish lessons, an evening movie with popcorn twice a week, and other things- all free and very fun! During dinner in the main buffet they put on a show with music and dancing which is very fun and we got to see some of the other guests kids perform too which was nice! The hotel is right on the beach so if the pool isn't for you, the beach is right there! I actually was a bit overwhelmed by the beach vendors, but if you like barganing they sell the typical souveniers, sunglasses and stuff.

Restaurants: There are several restaurants you have access to in the resort if you opted for all-inclusive. BUT most of them are only avaiable for dinner AND you must make a reservation earlier on in the day (between 8am-5pm). We ran into some problems and found this to be kind of inconveinient because often the restaurants would book up before 11am. And anyway we like to sortof fly by the seat of our pants.... We prefer to find a restaurant when we are hungry, not reserve a table at 8 in the morning, when it's hard to guage when exactly we will be hungry!
You can rely on the main Buffet since no reservations are needed there. The food there is pretty good for the most part, and met our expectations. (Except some of the poolside food... some was good, some not so good.)
Also we did some deep sea fishing and caught marlin, (thru an El Cid fishing trip) and there is a restaurant at the hotel that will prepare a fielt of it for you so you can enjoy your fresh catch for lunch that day!

Gym: Clean and they have a pretty good variety of equiptment.

Other Things to do near the resort: The location of El Cid Castilla really maximizes your opportunities to explore because it's right in the middle of lots of interesting places.There are plenty of little bars, restaurants and shops right outside the hotel and down the street either direction. The little VW golf cart style taxis are everywhere! You can take one for a bout 80 pesos from the resort to the downtown/old town area, or 100-120 pesos to Playa Bruja (Our favorite beach).

I'd say that the only things we found inconvenient were:
- having to reserve for dinners at the majority of the restaurants, and
- that the all-inclusive information we recieved upon arrival, was sometimes contradicted which was confusing (for example, we were initially told we had access to beverages, snacks and internet/computers in the Elite Room, and then later were told we didn't and were not allowed).

Over all, we really enjoyed our stay, and left with fond memories! We really enjoy getting out to see the town, but we also never found ourselves bored in the hotel at all. The weather was beautiful, the staff was amazing, the place is just such fun!
Typically, we like to explore and stay at different hotels in different places, but we would make an exeption here. We would be delighted to return to El Cid Castilla in the future, and we recommend this resort to couples, families, well... anyone!

Room Tip: You get an amazing view in the tall tower: ocean view, and city view!! If you are a couple bookin...
Dear BeckyBeeWhoTravels,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review we always appreciate honest feedback. I’m glad we were able to provide exceptional vacation. Our number one priority is to fulfill our guests need and its great we were able to do that for you. We always brain storm new and fun activities so we can always have something for everyone to enjoy. We have many more idea for future plans! I see here you were a fan of our rooms how great that you like our instillations and you found everything in tip top shape as well as found our food and beverages in our ala cart restaurants. I will definitely be giving my staff the recognition they deserve so they can keep striving towards this direction. We hope we have the pleasure in hosting you again really soon!

Warm regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We booked into this hotel for our first time in Mazatlan and it was fine. Good prices for the flight and stay! We usually do not stay in all inclusive so this was a departure. The food was fine and the drinks were plentiful but still prefer not staying in an all inclusive! The staff was fine. Wonder about the safety of the railings in the public areas for small children - think our 2 year old niece would have to be held onto so she would not fall over or under! Location is great for the downtown and we had some great rewards for going to the presentation-we did not buy since we have better amenities etc at where we already own!

Dear, beejal

We want to thank you for your recent comment and for choosing us in your first trip to Mazatlan. I’m happy to read that our rate for the fly and stay are on your expectations, and our convenient location, staff service, was a good start.

Furthermore, I’m sorry to hear that your experience was not a positive one with your concerned about the safety of railings, we take note of this comment and we will add to our renovation program.

We appreciated you taking the time to review your stay and we hope you will come back to the El Cid Castilla Hotel on your next trip to Mazatlan.
Warm regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

My Girlfriend is very good at checking out reviews of Holiday Resorts, so when she told me that El Cid Castilla sounded like a great place to go, i took her word for it. Her evaluation of the resort was absolutely correct.
We had a great time and met a ton of great people, from resort Staff to travellers. When we originally checked in, we were at the El Cid Granada, which is an older building than the Castilla and further from the beach.
The room they showed us was huge but a little dated. They offered us an upgrade to the Castilla for a very reasonable price so we took them up on their offer. Glad we did. We had a great room very close to the beach and the pool. It's not a crazy resort full of wild partiers, so if you like to go to bed fairly early, you'll have no problem getting to sleep.
The pools are nice and clean with nice swim up bars at both pools. We hung around the same pool for the entire trip, because once we got to know the entertainment crew, we didn't want to change pools. The beach is nice and clean and we were lucky enough to have great weather the entire time. The only thing that got on my nerves a little, was the fact that, even though the Castilla had a roped off area for tanning at the beach, the peddlers or souvenir salespeople were allowed to walk right into the roped off area and try to sell their wares to you while you were trying to relax. On occasion, there was a security guard by the beach, but he never asked the peddlers to leave the roped off area. That is something I would suggest that the Manager Salvatore have a look into.
In regards to one of the other reviews that mentions the construction noise by the pool, it's important to mention that the staff went around the pool, offering people the opportunity to move to the quieter pool. Sometimes you have to endure a little construction or things will never progress or improve. Looking forward to seeing how nice the new outdoor restaurant will look once the renovations are complete.
Lets talk about the staff now. We went to the Buffet every morning for breakfast, where the food was great by the way, and we were happily greeted by Ricardo. We chose to sit in his section every chance we had.
Even though he doesn't speak fluent english, he was a great communicator and a ton of fun. I asked him if he knew where i could get a jersey from Mazatlan's professional baseball team, the Venados. I wanted an official jersey, not some cheap knock off. He told me he'd meet me after his shift and drive me there. I couldn't believe it what a great guy. Not only did he drive me to the official Venados souvenir store, but he also gave me a tour of their stadium, plus we stopped for a beer and he insisted on paying.
The pool Entertainment staff was incredible. Cesar and Aldo are great conversationalists and a lot of fun. They're both good Ping Pong players, but not good enough to beat me :-) Sorry guys, maybe next time.
There are two guys named Luis. One of them lived in the US for a while and has great english, so if you need a translator, he's your man. The other Luis is just plain LOCO. We played volley ball with this guy and he had us laughing the entire time.
The Bartender at the swim up bar, Orlando was a great guy and introduced us to a lot of very interesting drinks.
The mattresses were a little hard but other than that the rooms were fine and the Maids did a great job cleaning up every day.
I would definitely recommend this resort to everyone.

Stayed February 2014
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear, Dean.

First of all we want to give a special thanks to your girlfriend, she sounds like the kind of girl that really knows how to make good decisions. We are glad to hear that her first opinion about hotel Castilla was more than right. Secondly, thanks to you for posting this comment on Trip Advisor; we really appreciate the time and dedication that this involves.

We are very glad to hear that you are happy and satisfied with your stay at Castilla and also that you enjoyed our pools and staff. This resort is special for people that want to take quiet and restful vacations. On the other hand, we are sorry to hear about the souvenir salespeople, we are definitely taking your advice on that and make sure our manager is aware of this situation from now on.

Consider yourself totally invited to see the new outdoor restaurant next year, we will be happy to serve you again. We also find the story of Ricardo very interesting because, first of all, we believe that as a guest you must be a very wonderful person and Ricardo must have think that you were nice enough to take you out for beers and show you the baseball stadium after his shift. Personally, I believe that making friends is the key to living a happy life, not many people have that ability and I’m happy to see that you made friends with our staff. As a hotel, we are proud of our staff and happy to serve friendly guests just like you and your girlfriend.

Sorry about the mattresses, we will keep this in mind and do something about it so hopefully next year we can make you feel more like home. Thank you very much for your kind comments and for recommending our service.

We hope to see you soon, next year!

Best regards!

Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We actually stayed at a different El Cid resort but with three young ladies (21, 22 and a 27 years old) joining me on this trip, let me tell you, we spent a lot of time HERE... great food and entertainment nightly on the lower level and a GREAT 3 piece group in the 'lounge' on the main level... just delightful. The staff at La Castilla, El Moro and La Marina are delightful, taking care of all our needs with graciousness and competence (nice eye candy too but that just made it all the MORE ENJOYABLE... Shuttle is available to a Can't speak for the rooms here but we had such a good time. We went all-inclusive (airfare incl) and could access 4 resorts, golf course and spa by shuttle with our bracelet.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Karen C,

It’s so great to hear about such a wonderful time you had here with us. It sounds like you had many opportunities to further explore our resort and I am glad you took full advantage of it. I am so proud of my staff for going above and beyond to provide such exemplarity service. We await anxiously for your next trip to Mazatlan!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Have been back a few days from our stay at El CID. Overall the staff was exceptional, food good and wonderful location. It was enjoyable to be able to walk the beach and not have high rise after high rise. I agree with most of the reviews regarding the need for restaurant reservations. One restaurant allowed us earlier, another not, although there were tables available. Part of me understands the other does not. Couldn't you just set up outside tables/ bar for drinks until a table was available? Ironically, the worst service was at the ocean view restaurant that was not a part of the all inclusive. We left one night because the waiter decided we did not need a heater, although three were clearly available. Lunch on departure was the slowest and worst service.
My real reason for writing this review however is to warn anyone if they do not want to fight the battle of saving chairs, do not go. The no saving policy is not enforced. The first day we challenged the policy, we simply moved the towels that were saving the chairs to another chair. Although we were then in a middle of a large group, there was no challenge to our taking the pool chairs. The second time we moved to beach and had a nice discussion with the woman who was saving the chairs. She agreed it was against the policy, but when in Rome. We then decided we were on vacation and did not want the confrontation, because that was why we were on vacation. Left the resort for a few days and walked the beach, had a great time and better food and drinks than the resort. The next time, on the beach, we had an El CID employee tell us the chairs were being saved after we moved the saving towels. I asked reserved, he replied no saved. I then explained you cannot save chairs. I asked if we could get an umbrella and two chairs, yes, but we would need to rent the umbrella. Said no to that, we would take the chairs he was saving, no doubt for a price in tip. We were able to keep the chairs, but no one came the remainder of the day for the other two. Our final day, we saw open chairs and asked the people next to them if they were available. They stated no one had been there for over an hour and one half, we took them. This time, the savers subjected us, three members of security staff, our waiter, our beach El CID entrepreneur, and everyone else in proximity to their displeasure of the no saving policy. The El CID security absolutely enforced the policy and did in a highly professional manner and we retained the chairs. However do not think for a moment that El CID does as a rule and you will need to enforce on your own. It is also apparent that there is a enterprise on the part of El CID employees to save chairs. There are hotels that do enforce the policy and if this is important to you do not stay there. Fortunately, everything else about the stay; staff, room, pools, food was good. Drinks were watered but they never stopped coming. Up to you to decide what is most important.

Dear Carhykmm,

I thank you for taking the time to write this review. I´d like start off reserving chairs is not allowed under any circumstances. I am glad you brought it upon my attention, I will assure you that the proper precautions have been token into this matter, I will also be having a full on discussion with my security team to be more strict when It comes to allowing people safe there sports we have also started with a new procedure in way we can prevent this from happening. I do apologize for the few inconveniences you had with this but I am also content to read that besides that you had a good stay and you found our rooms, pools, and food fit your standers. I hope in a near future you are able to come again and see the changes we have made.

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!