“The Best Time Ever!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #21 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Edmonton, Canada
“The Best Time Ever!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Ok so I booked here because I wanted to see what all the great reviews were all about I did not understand why travellers were calling the staff by first name, well now I know. We were booked at the Grenada to start but took the upgrade to Castilla,,you should do the same. First of all this hotel is supper clean,,there is no loud music till 3 am so you can sleep at night,,beds are a little hard but you can ask for a foam,,I did not need one. For the food,,yes if you go to the buffet every day it might be repetitive but you can book A la Carte for a change and it is included with the all inclusive,,if your going to cry about the 2 restaurant that are not included,,then so be it!! As for the people bothering you for time share, we were asked once and that was it no big deal. The beach,,the pool,,the weather all so beautiful. Now I don't know if I will do it justice but I will try. What really made this trip for us was the numerous travellers we met, lots of them we're repeat customers that just love the place and they keep coming even the none time share. I have been to Mexico before but it was like we were just a big nice happy family,,just getting so close so fast sharing good times and stories and just happy to see each other the next day. If that was not enough,,let's get to it,,THE STAFF!!! OMG,,to smiling made,,FANTASTIC servers,,Ricardo at the buffet restaurant even took my boyfriend shopping downtown for professional baseball jersey, he is the best and Rosa was pretty nice to!!! Orlando at the swim up bar was very entering with his drinks I can not name on this page!,, :-) The little cook Joel what a sweet boy studying to become a Master Chef,,And who made us feel special around the pool all day,,Cesar and his team: Luis, Gabriel, Mario, Aldo and Guillermo just go have fun with them,,play ping pong, volley ball,,sing la coucaratsha with your mouth full of tequila,,what a nice crew!!! Will we go back FOR SURE WE WILL. To sum it all up 1 week was not enough.

Room Tip: Our room was on the main floor facing pool with partial view of the ocean,,we could here the waves a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear, debsred

First and Foremost we want to thank you for share this wonderful Works, It was a pleasure to read how you enjoyed your experience with us and for confirm that you received an amazing service, all of this can’t be possible without the excellent job from our staff. Our aim is to meet your travel expectations make your feel at home away from home.
Day to day we care of each detail for every single part of the hotel to keep well maintained, the reviews like yours help us for let us know that we are in the right way and encourages us to keep exceeding our attribute of service.
We are happy to read about our convenient location, we access to the restaurants and bars, our streets are calm and safe and it’s much to do in Mazatlan.
I will share this comment with my team for their work as recognition for their excellent job. I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to having with us again in a note to distance future.

Warm Greetings

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Boscobel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

After reading many negative reviews prior to our trip, I felt it necessary to submit a review of this property. There were 4 of us in our party and we all decided we would definitely go back. The resort itself was beautiful and very, very clean. Rooms were perfect. Service...I personally don't think it could get better. We did get approached immediately after check-in by one of the people pushing time share...but we recognized it and firmly told her we were not interested and we were not bothered again. We arrived at 9:00am and were able to check into our rooms right away and begin to enjoy the all-inclusive plan that was included in our trip. We had no hassles or problems regarding that. We do tip and recognize that does help in service....but it does here in the US also! For the price, we were very impressed!! If you are looking for the Ritz...you should book the Ritz!

Room Tip: We booked an "Ocean View" room and were not disappointed. Listening to the waves crash on...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear, Kimberly…

Wow!! How wonderful review, I would like to convey my sincere thanks to you for your recent thoughtfulness. It was so kind of you to speak favorable about our hotel. It was just what the followers of TripAdvisor need to hear! I am truly touched by your generosity, your spirit.

We are very glad to read about your kind review and charming words about the facilities, specially to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Each guest comment is without a doubt an opportunity to all the team members, as this will tremendously help us in continuously and consistently improve on our services.

Kind regards,

Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Spent 7 days in Ocean view room Jan 25- Feb 1. We loved the cleanliness of the hotel where there were people always cleaning. The staff are professional yet very friendly and helpful. The hotel location in the Golden Zone is great , you can walk to many businesses either on the streets or via the beach. If you need to go somewhere further grab a pulmunia, we hired one for 4 hours and were given an excellent city tour by Alex. At no time during our 7 days did we ever feel in danger.

Of the restaurants we found the Italian and La Pergola to be the best. The Mexican menu did not appeal to both of us and we made the mistake of ordering a steak in the Argentinian El Patio. We are not saying the food was bad just that we should know better than to order a steak in Mexico!

The staff was fantastic especially our maid Ramona, beach and poolside waiters Enrique and Roberto, La Pergola waiters Ricardo Simental & Ceasar, Omelet maker Socorro & Lobby Bar waitress Laticia. The Entertainment Team team deserves special mention, the nightly entertainment in La Pergola was spectacular, the dancers were very talented and kept the audience enthralled. Frank and Bruno did a great job in MCing the events.

While some people dislike the towel policy I found that having to return towels daily meant loungers were obviously free when people were finished for the day.

Overall we were very impressed with our second visit and we are already planning 2 weeks in December. Thank you everyone at the El Cid for making this a wonderful 7 days.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear, Lrac S

We appreciate your confidence in us and with great pleasure to read that we working diligently to deliver on our promises to you.
I am glad to note that our convenient location, facilities and friendly staff exceeded your expectations; it is rewarding to note that our focus on consistency and efficient service is welcome.

We truly enjoyed to learning more about how you enjoyed our restaurants and the great experience with the staff, rest assured that Ricardo Simental, Cesar, Socorro, Leticia, Frank and Bruno receive a mentioned for their excellent job.
Please feel free to contact us in your next travel if you have any doubts or if you need further information. We will gladly answer any questions.

Yours sincerely,

Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I have used El Cid in Mazatlan 3 times and this was the absolute worst time. The serving staff was excellent as usual but the front desk really fell flat. We arrived at noon and couldn't get a key until about 4:00pm. They told me they would put my bags in secured storage but 3 hours later I found them by the front door!! I was given a room that I could not use the tub and shower as it was to difficult to get in to with a bad leg and was really high up. I asked the desk to switch to a more normal room with easier access. What a joke! 4 days later, I saw someone else at the front desk and she did it right away but someone else tried to get in to my new room and there was a hassle. The next thing was they started ripping up the patio restaurant so you couldn't eat outside for lunch or brunch. The noise was so loud you couldn't even sit by the pool. This is going on for I was told a month more. Castilla never again. You have now lost all my return stay's as well as all my friends.

Room Tip: 14th floor has the weird high to get into tub/shower. I was told all on this floor are the same. Sen...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear: MSJ1145

Thank you for choosing our hotel once again, we appreciated your confidence in us.

I sincerely apologize for your less customer experience with our front desk we take in a serious account, our guest are the priority and we make the improvements to prevent this happen in a future.

I regret how difficult was for you to use the tub, fortunately our staff answered quickly to your request and will change to a more comfortable room, It surprised me that you mentioned someone has tried to get to your room, the keys are a single owner and no one else besides maid service are able to enter to you room, anyway I personally check the records to see what happened.

We are sad to see that we lost a customer, be assure that we take noted in each of your inconvenient. If in the future if you decide to give us a second chance, will be a pleasure to welcome you.

Pasadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

This review is L-O-N-G over due. We were a group of 7 and booked 2-All-inclusive suites. We are from the Los Angeles area and Mazathlan is a quick flight away, we were taking a mini-vacation and celebrating my daughter 18th birthday. We thought we booked the All-inclusive vacation. It was NOT!!! Upon arriving we were all issued colored bracelets. These bracelets dictated what kinda of service would be provided to you. With our bracelet we were only allowed to eat at certain restaurant's, lets call them cattle buffets. The food at these buffets was TERRIBLE! We complained and were upgraded to different color bracelet. We were told we could dine at the restaurant on the beach, but not allowed to order certain items on the menu. We ended up dining out, off the hotel premises the rest of our trip.

The whole bracelet situation at this hotel is a huge turnoff. We will not return to this hotel, this hotel is NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE! Next year we'll stay at the Riu. They are truly an all inclusive resort, they include room service and all the rooms have mini bars with top shelf spirits. It's All-Inclusive.

El Cid ruined our vacation, we were always being turned aways and scolded about menu options and dining options. Even the shack that was suppose to include kayaks and boogie boards tuned us away. First because it was too late in the day to use the boogie boards, i think 2:30pm is siesta time in Mexico? Then the guy who ran the shack didn't show up to work, too many beer the night before?

This place is TOO much work. I thought I was on vacation! A complete waste of time and money!

Room Tip: Be nice to the maids and the pool servers. They really try to help.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Cookie L,

Thank you for your sincere review, I apologize for the inconvenience in regards to the bracelets. We count on two different all inclusive the regular all inclusive and the all inclusive elite the bracelets are meant to keep control of this. My suggestion for any future stay is going for the all inclusive elite if you want access to everything including the El Cid Marina facilities. It’s unfortunate that you were not fond of our hotel I think the problem over all was just a lack of information and I wish we could have gotten to you and had a chance to explain this more Thorley. If you are ever in Mazatlan again we would really appreciate it if you gave us the opportunity to make it up.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We badly needed to escape this frozen mess of a winter. Through Sun Country Vacations, an all-inclusive resort and flight was at a price where we'd regret NOT going! Off we go to Mazatlan for a Mid-January 2014 vacation!

Check-in took a little while. That's to be expected considering we were part of a full bus that transferred us from the airport. Our reservation wasn't in the system that also led to a brief delay, but in due time we were all set. We ignored the very aggressive timeshare salespeople and headed to the pool bar for some drinks!

The pool-side room on the second floor was clean and comfortable. The view faced the ocean which gave us a partial view of the Pacific and some awesome sunsets! The beds were on the firm side but our bed had a pillowtop cover that made sleeptime cozy. A heads up; you may want a different room if you don't like noise. It was pretty quiet at night but can get noisy during the day. Showers were hot with good water pressure.

The food was, all in all, okay. The breakfast buffet was a strength. Their made-to-order omelets were delicious and there were many options at the breakfast buffet. For dinner, the taco station at the Mexican restaurant is a must-try. The guacamole, salsa and ceviche were good for a mid-afternoon snack. Otherwise, the other meals on the property had a frozen dinner quality to them. I would encourage going off the property and try some of Mazatlan's other dining options for a change of pace. There are many excellent seafood places to check out and prices are very reasonable.

Drinks at the resort were made to order. Beer is ice cold and you can have any beer you want as long as it's Pacifico or Modelo. Tip your server well the first round and the drinks will keep coming. Margaritas, Micheladas, whatever you're feeling, the bartenders make them well.

The beach had a lot of vendors. Each sunset, they were there trying to make one last sale in a production I dubbed "Desperado Theater." They're aggressive, but a firm no will send them to another unsuspecting victim.

The poolside was enjoyable. Plenty of pool chairs available to bask in the 80F and sunny days. The pool was clean and the temperature was just right. If you're bored, jump off the cliff into the deep end or go down the slide. You're never too old for that.

One of our favorite parts of the trip was interacting with the Actividades crew. Ruben, Luis Gonazlez, Hans and Angelica were amazing hosts. They were always positive and encouraging and had a fun personality that was contagious! DJ Frank spun fun tunes and had a good sense of humor during the silly, but entertaining, pool games. In the evening, the crew puts on an entertaining program as well.

Another highlight of the resort was the lobby bar lounge. Brush up on your pool game and meet new friends.

The location is great. You can get a pulmonia (a golf-cart taxi) for 70-80 pesos that fits up to four people and take you anywhere in town. Haggle a little for shorter trips and pay even less! The OXXO is a two-block walk for your Ruffles Queso chips and Mexican Oreos.

Overall, for the price, we were very impressed with this resort. Every employee of the property was friendly and aimed to please. We would strongly consider a return trip to this Mazatlan resort in the future. If you want to have some fun and not break the bank, consider El Cid Castilla Beach for your stay.

Room Tip: If you don't like your original room, be friendly with the front desk. They may be able to help...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Benito y Lupita P,

We appreciate you voicing your concerns on your recent stay. I’m glad you choose Mazatlan as your sunny get away destination. How great to know that you were fond of our Rooms we work hard day to day to maintain our facilities in tip top shape I see here you had an opportunity to enjoy great Sun Sets which Mazatlan has a lot of for it is known for amazing beach and scenery and it is nice you were able to experience that, it is also great you had a chance to enjoy our restaurants. I would like to mention that in concerns to your comment with rooms needed to be update I’d like to inform that we are indeed working on updating rooms on a daily bases and we hope that this project will be done as soon as possible so people can further enjoy their stay. It sounds like you had a fun time with the activities we offer here in our resort I will congratulate my activite staff to have them even more motivated to keep up their good work. We hope in seeing you again in a near future.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Booked online with Sun Country airlines website package deal all inclusive. Stayed one week Jan 14-21 with brother and met two other friends there. Check in was fairly quick. Got to our ocean view room and was very impressed with the view. The furniture looked fairly new and the beds were not hard but comfortable. Flat screen tv with a half dozen or so english channels. One of the elevators was broken the first day but fixed the next. Housekeeping did a great job. When I had the shower on full power, water would come up out of the floor drain, very strange. There was usually plenty of hot water. Beach area was excellent except for the annoying vendors. My friend got stung by a jelly fish on day one but did not hurt too bad. Never saw jelly fish the rest of the week and we went swimming in the ocean nearly every day for a short time each day. Played volleyball almost every day at 4pm . The activity directors at our pool were all men. I wish they would have had some women. They played the music a bit too loud at times so we spent most of our time at the beach. Weather was very good, low 82-86 degrees and sunny every day, was told it was a bit warmer than usual. Food was OK, breakfast buffet was huge and they would make omelettes for you. Lunch buffet was OK too, decent variety,though pigeons flying around and scavinging food were very annoying/gross. Had dinner at the reservation only restaurants and the Italian was my favorite by far. The others were good too. Hung out at the lobby bar each night before dinner and had fun though it is nothing too fancy. They put on a song/dance show most every night downstairs which was actually fairly entertaining. All in all it was a good time and we got a pretty good package deal on the trip. Would definitely do it again if offered for that price again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear D _Mpls,

I appreciate points brought up for our readers to enjoy about your recent stay here with us. It overall sounds like you had a great stay; I see here you really admired the room with an ocean front view, who doesn’t like a good ocean view right, allowing you to enjoy the amazing Mazatlan scenery doesn’t get any better than that. I apologize you felt uncomfortable with the vendors I’d like to inform you that I have already taken care of this problem and talked to my security team to be stricter on this. I was really concerned to hear the comment on the pigeons situation I’ve token this to the up most seriousness for taking care of our guests as well as their health is our number one priority and believe me that this issue has been dealt with and I can assure you It will not happen again! We can’t wait to have the pleasure in hosting you again we await with open arms.

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!