“Fun, inexpensive getaway to escape the Polar Vortex!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 50% Off
Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fun, inexpensive getaway to escape the Polar Vortex!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We badly needed to escape this frozen mess of a winter. Through Sun Country Vacations, an all-inclusive resort and flight was at a price where we'd regret NOT going! Off we go to Mazatlan for a Mid-January 2014 vacation!

Check-in took a little while. That's to be expected considering we were part of a full bus that transferred us from the airport. Our reservation wasn't in the system that also led to a brief delay, but in due time we were all set. We ignored the very aggressive timeshare salespeople and headed to the pool bar for some drinks!

The pool-side room on the second floor was clean and comfortable. The view faced the ocean which gave us a partial view of the Pacific and some awesome sunsets! The beds were on the firm side but our bed had a pillowtop cover that made sleeptime cozy. A heads up; you may want a different room if you don't like noise. It was pretty quiet at night but can get noisy during the day. Showers were hot with good water pressure.

The food was, all in all, okay. The breakfast buffet was a strength. Their made-to-order omelets were delicious and there were many options at the breakfast buffet. For dinner, the taco station at the Mexican restaurant is a must-try. The guacamole, salsa and ceviche were good for a mid-afternoon snack. Otherwise, the other meals on the property had a frozen dinner quality to them. I would encourage going off the property and try some of Mazatlan's other dining options for a change of pace. There are many excellent seafood places to check out and prices are very reasonable.

Drinks at the resort were made to order. Beer is ice cold and you can have any beer you want as long as it's Pacifico or Modelo. Tip your server well the first round and the drinks will keep coming. Margaritas, Micheladas, whatever you're feeling, the bartenders make them well.

The beach had a lot of vendors. Each sunset, they were there trying to make one last sale in a production I dubbed "Desperado Theater." They're aggressive, but a firm no will send them to another unsuspecting victim.

The poolside was enjoyable. Plenty of pool chairs available to bask in the 80F and sunny days. The pool was clean and the temperature was just right. If you're bored, jump off the cliff into the deep end or go down the slide. You're never too old for that.

One of our favorite parts of the trip was interacting with the Actividades crew. Ruben, Luis Gonazlez, Hans and Angelica were amazing hosts. They were always positive and encouraging and had a fun personality that was contagious! DJ Frank spun fun tunes and had a good sense of humor during the silly, but entertaining, pool games. In the evening, the crew puts on an entertaining program as well.

Another highlight of the resort was the lobby bar lounge. Brush up on your pool game and meet new friends.

The location is great. You can get a pulmonia (a golf-cart taxi) for 70-80 pesos that fits up to four people and take you anywhere in town. Haggle a little for shorter trips and pay even less! The OXXO is a two-block walk for your Ruffles Queso chips and Mexican Oreos.

Overall, for the price, we were very impressed with this resort. Every employee of the property was friendly and aimed to please. We would strongly consider a return trip to this Mazatlan resort in the future. If you want to have some fun and not break the bank, consider El Cid Castilla Beach for your stay.

Room Tip: If you don't like your original room, be friendly with the front desk. They may be able to help...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Benito y Lupita P,

We appreciate you voicing your concerns on your recent stay. I’m glad you choose Mazatlan as your sunny get away destination. How great to know that you were fond of our Rooms we work hard day to day to maintain our facilities in tip top shape I see here you had an opportunity to enjoy great Sun Sets which Mazatlan has a lot of for it is known for amazing beach and scenery and it is nice you were able to experience that, it is also great you had a chance to enjoy our restaurants. I would like to mention that in concerns to your comment with rooms needed to be update I’d like to inform that we are indeed working on updating rooms on a daily bases and we hope that this project will be done as soon as possible so people can further enjoy their stay. It sounds like you had a fun time with the activities we offer here in our resort I will congratulate my activite staff to have them even more motivated to keep up their good work. We hope in seeing you again in a near future.

Warm Regards,

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Booked online with Sun Country airlines website package deal all inclusive. Stayed one week Jan 14-21 with brother and met two other friends there. Check in was fairly quick. Got to our ocean view room and was very impressed with the view. The furniture looked fairly new and the beds were not hard but comfortable. Flat screen tv with a half dozen or so english channels. One of the elevators was broken the first day but fixed the next. Housekeeping did a great job. When I had the shower on full power, water would come up out of the floor drain, very strange. There was usually plenty of hot water. Beach area was excellent except for the annoying vendors. My friend got stung by a jelly fish on day one but did not hurt too bad. Never saw jelly fish the rest of the week and we went swimming in the ocean nearly every day for a short time each day. Played volleyball almost every day at 4pm . The activity directors at our pool were all men. I wish they would have had some women. They played the music a bit too loud at times so we spent most of our time at the beach. Weather was very good, low 82-86 degrees and sunny every day, was told it was a bit warmer than usual. Food was OK, breakfast buffet was huge and they would make omelettes for you. Lunch buffet was OK too, decent variety,though pigeons flying around and scavinging food were very annoying/gross. Had dinner at the reservation only restaurants and the Italian was my favorite by far. The others were good too. Hung out at the lobby bar each night before dinner and had fun though it is nothing too fancy. They put on a song/dance show most every night downstairs which was actually fairly entertaining. All in all it was a good time and we got a pretty good package deal on the trip. Would definitely do it again if offered for that price again.

Dear D _Mpls,

I appreciate points brought up for our readers to enjoy about your recent stay here with us. It overall sounds like you had a great stay; I see here you really admired the room with an ocean front view, who doesn’t like a good ocean view right, allowing you to enjoy the amazing Mazatlan scenery doesn’t get any better than that. I apologize you felt uncomfortable with the vendors I’d like to inform you that I have already taken care of this problem and talked to my security team to be stricter on this. I was really concerned to hear the comment on the pigeons situation I’ve token this to the up most seriousness for taking care of our guests as well as their health is our number one priority and believe me that this issue has been dealt with and I can assure you It will not happen again! We can’t wait to have the pleasure in hosting you again we await with open arms.

Warm Regards,

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at El Cid Casilla from Jan 25 to Feb 1 2014. We were very impressed with the staff who got out of their way to make you feel welcome. The view from our room in the tower was great, and the pool areas are super. Great food and the nightly shows were well done. Our only complaint is that we had difficulty getting facecloths. Finally got 2 on our final day. The rooms need to be updated, but the rest of the hotel is great.

Room Tip: upgrade to a tower room so you can see the ocean every morning
Dear Truman2014,

Let me start off by saying I love the title! What an amazing feeling to know that my staff and there hard efforts was what made your vacation memorable. We strive to make each stay as close to perfection and we will continue on working hard towards this direction. Hope to see you again in a near future.

Kind Regards,

Granite Falls,Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed at El Cid Castilla Beach from January 28 2014 to Febuary 1st. My wife and I were there with two other couples, good friends of ours. We really enjoyed our stay. The staff was wonderful, cheery, and very helpful. There were several options for buffet and ala cart meals. We had dinner one night at the Prime Rib Grill across the street at the country club. Awesome service by Hector, what a blast. The food is exceptional. Highly Re!commended! The brochure said reservations were needed but I would check with them at anytime.
We enjoyed the beach, except for constant vendors. The pools were very clean and we did not have to wait long for drinks. I would say our experience was great. I would go back with no question at all. We went on a private tour for a few hours with Sergio in his Pulmonia car, That was a lot of fun! He is very knowledgeable and it is a great experience that I would recommend to all.

Room Tip: We upgraded to an ocean view room and it was well worth the extra price. Quiet, and an awesome view...
Dear Tdihnen,

Thank you for taking the time in filling our readers about your recent stay. We take every precaution and maintenance to ensure a wonderful and luxury experience and we are glad we lived up to that standard throughout your stay. Its great you were able to take a tour and further explore Mazatlan for it has a lot to offer. We hope to see you soon.

Kind Regards,

St. Albert, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I got a great deal on this vacation that being said you get what you pay for...this hotel caters to the locals first and foremost...the weekends are just plain nuts there I was told they can get a pass to the hotel for around 50 us...also there is a large conference centre so it is very busy thru the week...the rooms are small but clean except for the dry rot in the wood trim...staff is very friendly and go out of the way to make you feel special...one major downside is the timeshare staff very very pushy and don't seem to want to take no for an answer...after several times telling the woman I was not interested she called me rude and swore at me in Spanish nice real nice...the beach is great you can walk for miles and miles the vendors are annoying but they take no for an answer the first time...the food well it's okay I've had much better in mexico...because of all the timeshare vacationers you have a two or three tier system for booze the first day they had sparkling wine by the 3 day they had run out except the people beside us were having it...we didn't upgrade to the elite package as it was 49 us pp per day...also they had a theme night at the el patio across the street but it was an additional 20 us per person to eat and see the show...we've been to several all inclusive resorts in mexico of the years we're never been asked to pay additional for entertainment...also this sunday is superbowl and they charging 250 pesos per person to watch it in the bar area free beer... like I said it was a budget vacation but the extra charges add up real fast...there is no entertainment except the same 3 band members each night in the lobby bar...we went the last week of January not a lot of kids but everyone seems to be retirement age...if you're on a budget and you don't need night life and you get a great deal it's worth it...would we be back no not at any price...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Rjleonard,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments as well and your constructive criticism. Being so that El Cid Castilla is our most large hotel we always tend to host conferences frequently, I do apologize for the disruption they may have caused as well as the poor behavior the time share personal demonstrated I have already talked to them and re enforced them on how they should approach a guest and respect their wishes. Being so that you had the all inclusive I’d like to clarify that you did not have to pay extra to watch the super bowl the 250 pesos were only charged for people who were not all inclusive. Despite some inconveniences I’m glad that my staff was kind and friendly with you and was able to serve your every need. I hope in a near future you will re consider us and have us change your outlook.

Warm regards,

General Manager.
Carrington, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

the staff was great, the rooms were OK, the food was iffy at best but we've kind of come to expect that of most places in Mexico, the bars were all quite good, very little english spoken so a little hard to explain certain things but we all managed to have a great time. The best part of the whole trip was Tomas, he was willing to bend over backwards and make our vacation all it could be, super friendly and always making sure we had a drink in our hands, make sure you look for Tomas.

Dear 67 Bullet,

I appreciate your honest feedback in regards to our hotel it is a shame that we were not able to satisfy your stay 100% , rest assure your comments are token to the up most seriousness and the proper precautions will be taken we value your opinion and see this as an opportunity to grow. I will personal congratulate Tomas for his exemplary service. If any future traveling plans bring you to Mazatlan we hope you will give us another chance to change your perspective

Kind regards,
Squamish, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were not all inclusive but ordered a few meals off the menu at the pool, food was amazing, the nachos were second to none that I have ever had, chicken, beef, shrimp, beans, ... and the next day we ordered the lunch platter for two, we laughed when the waiter brought it to the table there was easily enough food for 6 people and it was fabulous! Steak, chorizo, chicken, guacamole and the list goes on, great staff and would defiantly stay here at the El Cid Castilla again, If you go to Mazatlan and its the first time you are there, I would recommend a city tour near the beginning of your holiday, its a great tour and a great way to find places to go to after the tour is over.

Room Tip: Im sure they are all ocean view in this hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear, retireddu…

Thank you for all of the lovely comments written about El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. We are thrilled that you found our hotel to be in good conditions. It delights me to read that you enjoyed our food around the pool, the views spectacular and recommended our city tour, however I really feel it's our staff that truly make each guest's vacation something to remember.

Once again thank you for your comments and we will continue to strive to exceed your guest’s expectations via service, location, design and value.

It will certainly be a pleasure to welcome you back. We promise that your every stay with us will be even better.

Warm regards,

General Manager.

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!