“9/9/13 - 9/14/13” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #21 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Flower Mound Tx
“9/9/13 - 9/14/13”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I met my son in LA and we had a great week at ElCid Castilla. Our room offered expansive views of the ocean. We dinned at every restaurant and The Marina was our favorite. The shrimp were awesome. Beach service was spot on, never waited long for a cold beverage. The nightly shows were entertaining. We did two excursions, one to the Aquarium, the Market and we saw the Immaculate Conception Cathedral which was beautiful. The Aquarium will have a shark tank and penguin exhibit next year. Our boat trip to Deer Island was wonderful, we passed by the 2nd largest lighthouse in the world. On the beach they offer banana boat rides as well as kayaking and snorkeling. We had the Elite package and I highly recommend that, upgraded meals, drinks and discounts on excursions. There are many pools to enjoy at all four properties. They also have a newly renovated fitness center and also a Spa on property. Hope you all get to enjoy the flavor of Mexico and get to visit El Cid!

Room Tip: Ocean View/higher floor. They also have room with full kitchens.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear: txpany

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a great review on trip advisor, we are ecstatic to hear you had a pleasant experience. I am glad your vacation was highlighted by our courteous attention, comfort room accommodations and enjoyable food in our restaurants. We pride ourselves in always having full entertainment it is good to hear you were able to enjoy our nightly shows. We are so lucky to be living in such a wonderful city such as Mazatlan where there is so much to do the possibilities are endless, We hope we see you soon in a near future so you can yet have a memorable vacation !

Best regards,

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Flower Mound Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We just returned from Castilla at El Cid this past week. We lucked out with the weather, only one semi rainy day. It is very hot/humid in September, but if your in the pool/ocean all is great. We had the elite package which I would recommend to everyone. The upgrades are well worth it.. Shrimp is the best I've ever tasted. Also with the Elite you can use all 4 hotel amenities as well as restaurants. Our favorite was at the Marina. Luis pours a mean Mexican coffee! Rooms were spacious and the balcony was fantastic for viewing sunsets. We did not do the tequila tour, but heard from guests we met that it is one not to miss. We went over to Deer Island for some banana boat rides and snorkeling. Lunch was served there, the boat ride over was fantastic - we were able to see the 2nd largest lighthouse in the world from the Sea of Cortez (glad we didn't have to climb that mountain in the heat) The aquarium will be adding a shark tank and also a penguin exhibit next year - we saw it without that, and it was pretty good. ElCid offers tranquility as well as much nightlife as you would want.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which allow trip readers get to read about your experience of excellence. It is very fortunate that you were able to have the great weather throughout your stay. Firstly id likes to say that I am glad you found our elite package such an amazing deal and that you were able to further explore our others facilities. Mazatlan is always full of things to do as you have been able to find out for yourselves. Its always a delight to hear when we have yet again made someone’s vacation memorable and we hope we have the pleassure in hosting you again In a near future.

Welland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I visited Mazatlan for the first time Mar. 4th 2013 for 7 days. The food was better than average at the buffets, always a friendly greeting from the staff, eggs done as you liked, lots of choices, terrific desserts. Plenty of activity around the pools which were spacious and very well looked after. Lunch served at the buffet near the pool and beach was always plentiful and tasty. Dinner a the buffet or at the Mexican, or the Italian were consistently great. The piano player at the a la carte's was most enjoyable. Accommodations a bit dated inside if you Iike white paint it's everywhere. Room is more than adequate for 2 adults includes wall safe. Loved the city and toured it with a taxi driver. Felt very safe in this area.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, it can be noisy near the pool on weekends when the locals come in.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear: Murray E

We are extremely pleased with your kind comments of your recent stay at El Cid Castilla. As you may know, so few people take the time to let the world travelers know when they are satisfied with the service at a hotel. I am very happy you enjoyed the trip and our efforts to improve the property have been paying off.

We were also very glad to learn that you were surprised and pleased with our customer satisfaction service. We are aware that most hotels do not reply to service questionnaires, but,
we see the personal contact as an opportunity to incentive a dialogue. This is the only effective way to learn, from a guests’ perspective, our strong, but also our weak points and to improve our service.

If given such an opportunity we would me most grateful to welcome you back to our hotel.

Richardson, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have stayed in El Cid Moro Beach, El Cid Castilla Beach and El Cid Marina in the past 4 years. I have mixed emotions on all of these places. In fairness I stay only one night and leave mid morning the next day. With an advanced reservation it ALWAYS takes 10-15 minutes per room to check in. I bring a group of 12 fisherman each year and it usually takes a bit over an hour to get everyone checked in. The whole check in procedure is antiquated beyond belief. For such a huge hotel it is remarkable they have not invested in a more streamlined check in procedure. The hotel itself is old, but has an appeal. I feel like I am in the 1980's when I travel to Mazatlan and the El Cid reminds me of that era. But, there is something that brings me back each year. I know this sounds a bit picky, but when you are tired and trying to check in 6 rooms an hour is just crazy. BTW, this is the case at all El Cid hotels in Mazatalan and I have been 5 times to 3 different ones. I think the El Cid Marina Hotel may have a bit faster check in. The El Moro and Castilla Beach are connected and it is really hard to tell where one starts and the other finishes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear: Steven a

First and Foremost I want to thank you and your friends for the last 4 years you keep returning to our Resort and for choosing us out of the many options we have in Mazatlan to host you.

I’m glad to read that you have the opportunity to stay in our 3 hotels like Marina, Moro and Castilla I´m aware about each ones pros and cons and I’m so happy to read your impressions of each one.

I regret your inconvenience with the check in however it happens to be a governmental policies which requires us to ask for our customers their information, either way this should not be take us more than 8 minutes in each check in any way thank you for your observations and we will improve our procedures to simplify this registration, especially in the case of groups of more than 5 people.

We keep working in renovations of our facilities, now we have a new business center, we are working in renovated our elevators and remodeled restaurants rooms and public areas.

I really would like to show you refurbished that the cid has to offer, please do not hesitate to let me know if you come back to me will be a pleasure to welcome you.

Warm greetings,

Chilliwack, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I have been visiting the El Cid Castilla Holel for many years but we decided to make this one a familty vacation.
We decided to treat our kids and grand kids to a family get together in Mexico and we immediately thought of going to the El Cid.
To give you a little backgroung we would be taking an age range from 19yrs to mid 60's. One son who played on the Canadian Golf Tour for some years and a couple of grandkids that like to stay up late.
The hotel has been around a long time but everything has been upgraded, sparkling clean and just a delight to say there. The golf course was in excellent condition and my son and I played every morning at 7:30am and we were finished by 11:00am, Our usual caddies where there waiting with our clubs ready to go and we enjoyed every moment.
We discovered the "ELITE, ALL INCLUSIVE PLAN" which gave us all first class service at every restaurant including the Marina and El Coral. Unlimited visits, seafood, including Lobster, shrimp and anything else you could think of. The Elite plan is an upgrade from the All Inclusive program but worth evey penny.
Don't pass this hotel up. I guarantee this.

Room Tip: When staying in the Castilla Tower stay 5th floor or hight. Unbelievable views of the sunsets.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear: tom69428

We're grateful for your visit to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel and we appreciate the kind remarks. Mostly, we're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We wish to meet beyond expectations with respectful, qualified, solution oriented approach and service with a smile…I’m so happy to read that you enjoyed our all inclusive Elite plan which had much to offer as you already describe and your recent review. I glad to read that you and your family enjoyed our services and facilities and the hotel was appealing to everyone.

Thank you once again, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during Christmas last year Dec 28 - Jan 11/12. Like everyone else, I did my research on Trip Advisor as well as the forums etc. It was the first time we ever went to the Pacific side of Mexico and was my sixth hot vacation. We like to try new things and we thought this was an interesting city. Taking a holiday at Christmas is a bit more expensive but this is the only time I can get off for the next couple of years due to my job.

First of all, I think Mazatlan is one of the most beautiful cities we have ever seen. We loved the location of the El Cid and travelled a lot by the pulmoni golf carts. Extremely inexpensive and we went as much as possible off the resort. If you go across the street and keep to the right you will come across an outdoor restaurant called Gus Gus. Fabulous entertainment and food. Highly recommend.

We liked pretty much everything about this hotel. It really is a beautiful hotel. Some evenings were cool, but it didn't stop us from going to the lounge in the evening. I really enjoyed the fact that the entertainment was inside and in the form of a dinner theatre. I thought the talent was great. New Year's Eve was packed, but it was nice to experience my first New Year's away from home. I thought the countdown and the "grape" tradition at midnight was fun. There were lots of restaurants to try and we had no problems with the food. We didn't have any bad experience. On the El Cid Moro side there is a gem of a restaurant that serves the absolute best steak sandwich. We ate there for lunch 3 times. It wasn't busy as in was inside as most people ate outdoors at the restaurant by the beach.

Rooms are good and the view was wonderful as we faced the ocean. It was noisy in the afternoon around the pool as the animation team were doing their thing, so if you are an afternoon napper, I would suggest going higher up in the tower.

We visited the Marina and the Granada and thought they were just fine, but we stuck to the Castilla. We went on the evening cruise around the bay and I thought the coastline at night was absolutely beautiful. I highly recommend going to the Plaza Machado on the weekend for dinner. Totally great atmosphere and food was great and reasonable. A very neat experience. We enjoyed the trip to Stone Island but the trip to Deer Island was not good. This was the only thing that was a truly waste of time and money and unfortunately all our party was in agreement. None of us ate the lunch except for the salad. There is nothing to do but lay on the beach which you can do at your hotel.

The beach was good, but I was surprised at the number of people who actually sat on the beach. I think Mazatlan has been hit hard in the tourist industry as the beach was not nearly as busy as I expected. For me the water was cold, but that's me. I love waves so that was a lot of fun, but I am a carribbean water person. If I was to go in February into the water, it would have been perfect.

We have no problems anywhere we go with vendors selling. After 6 vacations, we have adapted. We usually get to know a number of them and have some great conversations. They are just trying to make a living, and most are very respectful if you say no. In some other places we have gone, we usually hire drivers for the day and found that this is the only way to go as they go out of their way to show you all there is to see and we get to know a lot more about the area.

No matter where you go, there is always miserable people complaining over the smallest things, some staff that are not happy, sometimes a food doesn't agree with you...but it is how you react to everything that will determine your well earned vacation. Remember, that resorts will always show the best room picture, the best food layout etc. as that is what they do. Do your research, (especially on Trip Advisor) and don't sweat the small stuff.

I do recommend this hotel. There is a lot to see and experience. Relax...and have a great vacation.

Room Tip: If you are an afternoon napper, go higher up as it is noisy around the pool until 4 or 5 PM (but a l...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear: gizzymanit0ba

Many thanks for your kind remarks relating to your recent stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. Mazatlan is a spectacular city and I’m happy that you enjoyed the beautiful beaches and fantastic weather… I’m fortunate to live here.

Your review of our hotel really does cover all facets of our services and for that I am grateful. I know that your positive review will be the deciding factor for many guests who are in two minds about where to stay. Reading your review really does make it worth it and I will make sure to post your review in our employee lounge.

We are so happy to know that you enjoyed the activities that Mazatlan had to offer restaurant, food, the travelers to the pulmonias around the beautiful city, and we want to thank you for your recommendation to the readers of TripAdvisor.

When you return, please contact me personally if there is anything I can do to make your stay with us more comfortable

General Manager.
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

What can I say, you get what you pay for... If you're the type who stays in your resort for your holidays then this may not be the hotel for you.

Rooms: were spacious and relatively clean, make sure you tip will on the first night and they will do a good job for you. Get an ocean view, it really is breathtaking especially at night. if you get the chance to see a lightning storm from the deck it will change your life!

Food: not up to par with other hotels in the area. A few of the a la carte restaurants were great but the buffet was sub-par at the best of days.

Beautiful beach! BUT!!! make sure that you like waves because the waters are far from calm. i saw a few people got knocked over quite hard while standing in a foot of water.... this means keep your kiddies close! If you during the rainy season expect a ton of sun! or perhaps we just got lucky because it seemed to rain during the evening and blaze during the day. lots of locals also vacation during the rainy season so if you're hoping for a quiet pool think again, we loved the locals so it didn't bug us much.

Buskers: We felt that they were quite aggressive in comparison with other places we have been. there was a gentleman playing guitar on the beach who would go to people who were sleeping (Eyes Closed!) and wake them up with a flurry of strumming! it was unlike anything i've ever seen. he would continue until paid and then he would stop and let the people go back to sleep. a little uncomfortable and it didn't make you feel incredibly safe.

The City: if you like doing tours while on holiday this will be your highlight, there were so many unbelievably good tours available a few of the most notable being: 1) Tequila factory/zipline/atv adventure all in one tour!!!!!! need i say more? 2) City Tour 3) island tour 4)plantation horseback riding

Surfing: any young guns looking to surf it up, this is your spot. talk to some locals and they will give you directions to one of the many surf shops in town. Cheap lessons, cheap rentals, and great surfing awaits you. (you can book through the hotel but it's way cheaper to find a surf shop and set it up yourself)

All in all the hotel was a bit of a disappointment but the location overshadowed anything that the hotel was lacking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear: ShawnSpeirs

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience in Mazatlan. I’m delighted to hear that you found our accommodation to your liking.

We know there is always room for improvement however we always strive to make each stay as close to perfection as we possibly can. In regards to the food it is unfortunate you didn’t find our buffets as great I will defiantly have a meeting with the proper department to discuss ways in we can better our food. It worries me that you felt unsafe at one point I’m taking your comment to the up most seriousness and will assure you something will be done about this.

I’m honored you choice our hotel out of all the other hotels we have here and that you were also able to enjoy much of what Mazatlan has to offer it is never a dull day here there is always something new and exciting to do which is why we are so lucky to live here day to day!

We hope in a future visit you can notice all our improvements for our main objective is the satisfaction of our customers.

Kind Regards!

General Manager.

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!